NY - Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested on sex trafficking charges, 6 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Epstein donated the $15,000 gift to the prestigious Hewitt School on East 75th Street in 2016 — years after he pleaded guilty to in 2008 to soliciting a minor for prostitution, The Associated Press reported.
In other donations, Epstein doled out $35,000 to the Junior Tennis Champions Center in Maryland and $25,000 to the Ecole du Bel-Air grade school in Haiti.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/jeffr...-to-ues-all-girls-school-blocks-from-mansion/

I was happy to see that the Hewitt School returned the money.

Epstein donated the $15,000 gift to the prestigious Hewitt School on East 75th Street in 2016 — years after he pleaded guilty to in 2008 to soliciting a minor for prostitution, The Associated Press reported.

It’s not clear why Epstein singled out the school for the gift, but administrators said the money was returned several months ago after they learned it was connected to him.
BBM

I assume they knew he contributed the money, but perhaps weren’t aware of his history. I do wonder how much access to the students at the Hewitt School his $15K bought him from 2016 to several months ago.

It’s not clear why Epstein singled out the school for the gift, but administrators said the money was returned several months ago after they learned it was connected to him.
BBM

I assume they knew he contributed the money, but perhaps weren’t aware of his history. I do wonder how much access to the students at the Hewitt School his $15K bought him from 2016 to several months ago.

One article stated that he has been making anonymous gifts to institutions through a "shell" foundation. Many of the institutions when they discovered it was him returned the money.

The attempt was to get some good press. Even trying to do good the man is creepy.
REVEALED: We Found Billionaire Pedophile Jeffrey Epstein’s Secret Charity

SBM for focus. Barr recused himself from the original case that Acosta created because he had a relationship with one of the firms in the case (although he joined the firm after the fact, IIRC). However, he has been clear that he was not recusing himself from the SDNY case because he has no relation to the defense attorney and feels it is in his purview to oversee this case. Whether any of us agree or not won't matter.

Exactly.

Barr joined that law firm after it represented epstein.

"I am recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm I subsequently joined for a period of time,"

During his confirmation hearing in January, Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) asked Barr whether he would conduct a "full and thorough investigation" into the Justice Department's handling of Epstein's case, in particular, the non-prosecution agreement from 2008.

"Senator, I have to recuse myself from Kirkland & Ellis matters, I am told," Barr said at the time. "And I think Kirkland & Ellis was maybe involved in that case, so I need to sort out exactly what my role can be. I will say that if I'm confirmed I'll make sure your questions are answered on this case."

Attorney General William Barr recused from Epstein case over legal conflict: Report

I’ll see if I can get enough feeling back in my hands to get you a bag. :D:p

I think it's possible to discuss the case without getting into specific politics because this perp was smart enough to cross political lines. He was using everyone and knew that to get them together worked to his advantage (much better than picking a side and then dividing).

Nobody is going to go down in this case because of what American political party they belonged to, imo. If anyone goes down, imo, it will be because they got messed up with Epstein and were greedy.

But people jump in glee that someone in a different political party might be implicated and that takes over the discussion. Epstein had everyone in his pocket.

I think he ensnared powerful people, and maybe the girls were just a "benefit" of being in that crowd. I do think he kept photos and video as potential blackmail, but I think his most powerful weapon was money and projects. His gifts and generosity come with strings - not just gifts to the girls, but ALL the gifts, hospitality, networking, funding, parties to the elite....ALL of it came with obligations from the recipients either immediately or to be redeemed in the future.

I think he cultivated a crowd of elites - and girls - to be used in his own game of chess.

jmo

Epstein didn’t spend much time on St. Thomas, according to locals, but his business is headquartered there in a commercial plaza that’s also home to a Sami’s Mini-Mart and the Happy Nails salon. There’s no map to guide a visitor to the office and no signs on any door, though at least five Epstein entities are or have been registered in a suite there, according to public records.

Among them are companies that hold his Gulfstream jets, Financial Trust Co. and Southern Trust Co., whose business is described as “DNA database and data mining” on a government website that lists Cecile deJongh as the office manager. DeJongh, the wife of a former governor of the territory, couldn’t be reached for comment.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

The move to the U.S. territory could have been for privacy, or the juicy tax benefits. Qualifying companies are eligible for a 90% reduction in corporate income tax and personal income tax if they meet certain conditions, including employing at least 10 residents and investing $100,000 in local industries. Southern Trust is listed at the Economic Development Authority as one of the beneficiaries of local tax incentives.

I think it's possible to discuss the case without getting into specific politics because this perp was smart enough to cross political lines. He was using everyone and knew that to get them together worked to his advantage (much better than picking a side and then dividing).

Nobody is going to go down in this case because of what American political party they belonged to, imo. If anyone goes down, imo, it will be because they got messed up with Epstein and were greedy.

But people jump in glee that someone in a different political party might be implicated and that takes over the discussion. Epstein had everyone in his pocket.

I think he ensnared powerful people, and maybe the girls were just a "benefit" of being in that crowd. I do think he kept photos and video as potential blackmail, but I think his most powerful weapon was money and projects. His gifts and generosity come with strings - not just gifts to the girls, but ALL the gifts, hospitality, networking, funding, parties to the elite....ALL of it came with obligations from the recipients either immediately or to be redeemed in the future.

I think he cultivated a crowd of elites - and girls - to be used in his own game of chess.

jmo

I agree that Epstein is an equal opportunity elitist sleaze ball and reeled in greedy people from both parties. It has nothing to do with politics, but with a pervasive attitude of entitlement at certain levels of society. As I said before, I hope they will be nakedly exposed and get what they deserve no matter who they are. But I’m not optimistic that the entirety of corruption will be visible. Powerful people will protect their own.

OK so one thing that was interesting was in the one article (Daily Beast, title "JE Dodged Questions About Sex With His Dalton Prep-chool Students") with lots of new details about Epstein's early years - it goes into detail on the timeline re: Barr "hiring" Epstein. FYI: I have zero political interest in any of this.

The author of that article seems to cast doubt on whether Barr actually hired Epstein.

It's interesting because it turns out Barr actually had resigned or left Dalton in ~ Feb 1974 and Epstein did not start as a teacher until sometime in fall of 1974. There was also some sort of issue with turnover in math teachers. It's a bit confusing but that article really goes into the details. I guess the author of the article has done research with archival and firsthand sources because he's been writing a book.

IMO, however, and having resided in Manhattan for 15 years in the 2000's onward - and having a lot of direct firsthand experience and knowledge of how these private schools work and what some of the nuances are - just because a headmaster resigns does not not mean they do not carry influence with hiring decisions.

But I think that book was written in 1974 - same year... seems like a weird coincidence.

Also of personal interest to me because the article talks about JE leading the math team at the school and his approach with integrating "physical exercises" in coaching the math team. This was curious to me because I was on my high school's math team and I'm not exactly a spring chicken, lol. My high school days were not in the 1970s but they were far back enough that it was before the internet was used for everything.

So I have firsthand experience with the "math team" scene, so to speak. I even traveled in my state and nationally for math competitions and was involved in it for several years. Our math team coach/teacher never mentioned anything about physical exercises. Not once. And our team did well... because we had students who were good at math.

Anyhoo, this is part of why I am so fascinated with this case - because of my own personal life and work experiences that overlapped with the locales in this story and my own peripheral associations with those circles in Manhattan. NOTE: My association was not because I was wealthy, lol.

Lots of great articles being linked here - really appreciate it.

Oh wow, thanks, I should have googled. This wikipedia reveals some other fascinating info - Barr was also headmaster at another private prep school - however it was not in Manhattan (e.g. where Dalton is) but rather in Tarrytown (Westchester County, an affluent area just outside the city). If you click the link to that school and read about it- The Hackley School - the list of notable alumni is also interesting.

I also found it interesting that Barr was an English teacher at Columbia University for many years.

I would be really curious to know what the turmoil was that led to his resignation from Dalton.

Among top tier private schools in Manhattan, there are several "tiers" - like basic top tier, then better top tier, and super top tier. Dalton was and continues to be at the TOP of the top tiers. I am somewhat familiar with the some of the nuances and unspoken "rankings" and "reputations" of Manhattan private schools.

Interestingly.... I think Hackley is not as "top tier" as it may have been in earlier years. Not to say that it's not a good or expensive school prep school - but it's not as prestigious as Dalton. Just FYI and JMO.

Also, we need to keep in mind that back in those years, information was not easily and freely accessible online and social media did not exist. So much would not have been documented in the way we have documented now. You did not have electronic records back then - it was all paper.

And if certain things were documented back then, they likely were behind layers of confidentiality - e.g. lawyer-client, doctor-patient, therapist-patient, personnnel records, child protective investigation records, etc - and those would have all been on paper in those years .

Also complicating things... the law only requires records to be retained for X number of years etc ... even with respect to children - for X number of years after the child turns 18...

It's possible early documents could have been shredded or destroyd long ago... or if they were kept and still exist... they would be tightly held at present.

Last edited:
By the way.. did anybody else catch the second day of Savannah Guthrie's interview (Today Show) with the new accuser that came forward (J. AAroz, the one said her father had just died of complications from AIDS just prior to her be approached by the "recruiter")?

At the end of the video package of the interview clips, when Savannah Guthrie talks about it to her co-anchors, she says that once Aaroz did begin to disclose the abuse to people in her life (my impression was it was several years later) Aaroz told her boyfriend and her THERAPIST.

Even if Aaroz was 18+ when she disclosed this to her therapist at the time, that therapist would have been required to make a report to child protective services based on mandated reporting laws. The law absolutely would have required report of "suspected" child sexual abuse based on the fact the alleged perpetrator was still alive.

And even if Aroz said this to a therapist perhaps if she was living in a different state at the time (so, not in New York), the therapist still would have had a duty to contact child protective services in their own state of licensure to guide them on what to do. And also ethically bound to reach out the other state (e.g. New York, in this hypothetical scenario) and at the minimum inquire. Because it was an identifiable victim (Aaroz) - even if the therapist did not know who, specifically, the perpetrator was, that abused the child (e.g. Aaroz being the child at the time of abuse.

Wonder if the therapist ever made a report to child protective services /ACS/CPS?

BBM

$15,000 really isn't much, to be honest. Doesn't even cover the cost of tuition for one student for one year. I'd be curious to know what the money was earmarked for and/or who helped facilitate / prompted that donation.

Hewitt, while expensive and certainly a "top" school in the grand scheme of things, was/ is generally considered a lower top tier school among the Manhattan elite crowd. It kind of has an unspoken reputation for being a back-up safety elite school. Lower rungs of Manhattan top tier (I know, it sounds absurd). I'd put it within like the third level of the top tier all girls private schools in Manhattan.

JMO of course.

Am I correct in assuming that because Epstein's island is privately owned that no government has jurisdiction over the island and cannot get a warrant to search the island ? But a warrant for his office on St. Thomas could be obtained through the government with jurisdiction over St. Thomas ?

Since he was a teacher, I wonder if people who were in classroom will come forward.

Jeffrey Epstein Dodged Questions About Sex With His Dalton Prep-School Students

“I’m teaching a bunch of little brats next year.”—Jeffrey Epstein, 1974-75 Dalton School Yearbook

It took a clandestine FBI-NYPD joint sting operation to arrest the elusive convicted sex offender Jeffrey E. Epstein on Saturday July 6th on the tarmac of Teterboro airport in New Jersey (a story first broken by The Daily Beast). Simultaneously, a sledgehammer was used to break the entry to his massive $77 million New York City townhouse on East 71st Street. Police recovered hundreds, possibly thousands, of nude images of young women and girls—an automatic legal problem for a man who is on multiple sex offender registries. Epstein’s case may be one of the most extreme cases of organized child abuse in modern history.

Epstein is without doubt the wealthiest individual on any sex offender registry in the United States (and he is at Level 3—at greatest risk of abusing more children). On his registry entry, the following residences are listed: his $7.8 million 70-acre private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands (his primary residence owned by his Delaware-based LLC, L.S.J.), his Paris apartment on Avenue Foch (one of the most expensive addresses in the world), his $15.5 million Palm Beach estate, his $77 million New York City townhouse (a gift from Victoria’s Secret founder Leslie Wexner), and his $10 million castle/ranch in New Mexico. At the bottom of his residences is another island in the Virgin Islands, Great St. James. Epstein purchased it in 2016 for $18 million and was actively (and without permit) developing an even larger compound on its 165 acres—that is, until his arrest this past Saturday.

Jeffrey Epstein raised red flags as a teacher at the Dalton School. There is something off about him, like we have heard with other infamous figures.

Last edited:
<rsbm>The author of that article seems to cast doubt on whether Barr actually hired Epstein.

It's interesting because it turns out Barr actually had resigned or left Dalton in ~ Feb 1974 and Epstein did not start as a teacher until sometime in fall of 1974.

Good work, Hot Dog!

FWIW According to this article, it’s quite possible he hired Epstein, since Barr didn’t actually leave in Feb. 1974:

Mr. Barr said that he would remain until June 7 as headmaster of the coeducational school,

Barr Quits Dalton School Post, Charging Trustees' Interference

Of course, I don’t really think it has much bearing on whether his son the AG should recuse himself from the case.

Am I correct in assuming that because Epstein's island is privately owned that no government has jurisdiction over the island and cannot get a warrant to search the island ? But a warrant for his office on St. Thomas could be obtained through the government with jurisdiction over St. Thomas ?

It seems that both of his islands are under the jurisdiction of the US Virgin Islands so I would think the U.S. government has jurisdiction.

Everything We Know About Jeffrey Epstein’s Private ‘Pedophile Island’

By the way.. did anybody else catch the second day of Savannah Guthrie's interview (Today Show) with the new accuser that came forward (J. AAroz, the one said her father had just died of complications from AIDS just prior to her be approached by the "recruiter")?

At the end of the video package of the interview clips, when Savannah Guthrie talks about it to her co-anchors, she says that once Aaroz did begin to disclose the abuse to people in her life (my impression was it was several years later) Aaroz told her boyfriend and her THERAPIST.

Even if Aaroz was 18+ when she disclosed this to her therapist at the time, that therapist would have been required to make a report to child protective services based on mandated reporting laws. The law absolutely would have required report of "suspected" child sexual abuse based on the fact the alleged perpetrator was still alive.

And even if Aroz said this to a therapist perhaps if she was living in a different state at the time (so, not in New York), the therapist still would have had a duty to contact child protective services in their own state of licensure to guide them on what to do. And also ethically bound to reach out the other state (e.g. New York, in this hypothetical scenario) and at the minimum inquire. Because it was an identifiable victim (Aaroz) - even if the therapist did not know who, specifically, the perpetrator was, that abused the child (e.g. Aaroz being the child at the time of abuse.

Wonder if the therapist ever made a report to child protective services /ACS/CPS?

Not necessarily, if the client is over age 18, and not currently in direct contact with the perpetrator, there is no law to report, prior contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member