Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really puzzled as to why a grown woman would call up a show, trying to be of assistance, and say something like "Venjiont", being completely off the mark for so many years and stumping so many people. I decided to take some time today, since my little one REFUSES to nap, and do some research on the term "Venjiont", and ladies and gents, I may have cracked it. Now I can't be sure, but here's what I've got:

1) A company in Fulton, NY called VenJoint

2) Fulton, NY had a city, a little coal mining town that was known as Venjoint, or Venjiont, people said it differently as people do, it was also known as Old Fulton. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wJDyCQ&usg=AFQjCNGkpIFy0OeSL09oD7CJgJMw9ngJLg

This may be the "Venjiont", "Venjoint", New York State connection we've been looking for. Maybe she got her clothes from a Goodwill or Salvation Army while up in that area? Anyone know the Fulton area? Is it near where she was found? Was anyone questioned in that region about her disappearance?

-E

the link you provided leads to an old newspaper. the Venjiont is a transcription error. it was describing a piece of property or business between 2 streets, Vermont and Rhode Island.

Thanks Carl. Just curious, this is about learning for me, can you think of other cases where age was judged incorrectly? Maybe due to body build, stature and even malnutrition? I know as a petite female, I have been questioned about "breaking curfew" by police when I was out having a drink with friends at age 25. LOL. How do they determine age with a UID? And in a case this old, is it possible there was an error? Also, given Eileen kind of matches, is it worth submitting to help a family bring closure...if it happens to be her? Thanks again! I am learning a lot!

Actually this Jane Doe was listed as much younger years ago. She is still listed as 8 yrs old on this website.
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/mcicsearch/Flyers/FlyerCust1pic.asp?ID=3535

forgive me if any of this has been said before but I wanted to add these observations.

regarding the clothing and the pollen. I'd be interested in knowing where the pollen was found. if it was just in the jacket, that only means that the jacket had been in CA, AZ, MX or FL at one time, not necessarily Caledonia Jane Doe herself. with the tan lines, however, she certainly was in a warmer, sunnier location before she was murdered.

also, if the pollen was found in the pants, that means that she had been wearing the same pair of pants for quite some time unlaundered. I suppose it is relatively easy for her to wash panties at a truck stop, let them dry and put them on again. not so easy if they are the only clothes she's got.

I am curious as to how she wound up in Caledonia, Livingston County, NY if she had come from the South or the Southwest, especially if Boston really was her destination. the major trucking route up the east coast is I-95 and it only cuts through NY state in Manhattan (briefly like a mile or less), then the Bronx, until it goes into CT.

that she was alone at the diner is not a big shock if some kindly trucker dropped her off and gave her a few dollars for dinner. a more sinister scenario is that the killer let her get something to eat and did not want to be seen. perhaps (and this is pure speculation) at the diner she found out she was nowhere near New England and said something to her driver who then killed her as she was going to become perhaps not so complacent.

the link you provided leads to an old newspaper. the Venjiont is a transcription error. it was describing a piece of property or business between 2 streets, Vermont and Rhode Island.

Okay, I checked in to it, and yes, definitely "my bad" for not reading further, that particular "Venjiont" post online was in error. I do apologize. However, what about VenJoint? It is a legitimate company, it is in the Fulton, NY area (at least it was for a time), and is it possible that the female caller knew more about Cali's disappearance? Like the last person seen with Cali was driving for VenJoint in NY state?

Honestly, I just care about the girl. My mother lived a ridiculously hard life and is a success now, only to her own credit. She told me about a period of hitchhiking in her mid-teens (which would have been the mid-seventies), and luckily for her, the man who took her in was looking out for her. Obviously not the same for Cali-Doe, but I feel like I understand her MO, she's my mother who caught the short end of the stick, they all are, in some way.

All in all, I want to breathe some new life into this case. I hope no one minds my "theories".

Much love,

-E

There's a new NamUs NoPhoto Casefile for a girl named O'Dina Jeanette Lucero (18), last seen in Roswell New Mexico, who fits Cali's description (Last seen August 10, 1979).

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/15070/5

It looks like Detective Burress (who is in charge of Cali's case) is looking into this case already, as his name is listed on the Police Information page of O'Dina's NamUs casefile.

I haven't been able to find a yearbook photo of her. She was in Roswell, staying with an uncle. I would guess that she isn't actually from Roswell. Mill Valley CA police is also looking into her case, but Classmates doesn't have any yearbooks for 1975-79 at the local high school in Mill Valley (Tamalpais HS).

ETA: I just realized that O'Dina is probably not Cali. O'Dina has a capped canine tooth.

There's a new NamUs NoPhoto Casefile for a girl named O'Dina Jeanette Lucero (18), last seen in Roswell New Mexico, who fits Cali's description (Last seen August 10, 1979).

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/15070/5

It looks like Detective Burress (who is in charge of Cali's case) is looking into this case already, as his name is listed on the Police Information page of O'Dina's NamUs casefile.

I haven't been able to find a yearbook photo of her. She was in Roswell, staying with an uncle. I would guess that she isn't actually from Roswell. Mill Valley CA police is also looking into her case, but Classmates doesn't have any yearbooks for 1975-79 at the local high school in Mill Valley (Tamalpais HS).

ETA: I just realized that O'Dina is probably not Cali. O'Dina has a capped canine tooth.

I called Tamalpais HS in Mill Valley CA to see if she attended there. They don't have a transcript for her, so she didn't go to that school. I wonder why Mill Valley PD is looking at her case.

Is there any girl we know of in NamUs who looks like Zendrosky but who's circumstances are far more plausible to fit Cali-Doe's case? To me, Zendrosky's facial features have been the most "on point" so far. I have issues with girls who go missing in October and who's looks to not fit Cali-Doe's. That is, unless we're tossing around the suspicion of teen prostitution, in which a missing person's feature's would definitely be altered at the time of discovery whether dead or alive. If any of the missing October girls were Cali-Doe, I would think they would need to come from a sunny region to explain the suntan, and then the rest can be explained away with a month long stint as a child prostitute disguising herself, and heading wherever the pimp/john is taking the girl. The difficult thing to explain though, is why Cali-Doe has no signs of sexual assault???

no need to apologize em. you found it by a google search. completely understandable.

what might have happened here was that whoever took the call or interviewed the person who said Venjiont, might have written the word down. could have been years later that someone attempted to add the data to the MP registries and simply misread it.

I assume (as did some others) that it was a transcription error for Vermont. since we know she came from a warmer climate, then Cali was not likely from New England, at least not in the last few months of her life.

Okay, I checked in to it, and yes, definitely "my bad" for not reading further, that particular "Venjiont" post online was in error. I do apologize. However, what about VenJoint? It is a legitimate company, it is in the Fulton, NY area (at least it was for a time), and is it possible that the female caller knew more about Cali's disappearance? Like the last person seen with Cali was driving for VenJoint in NY state?

Honestly, I just care about the girl. My mother lived a ridiculously hard life and is a success now, only to her own credit. She told me about a period of hitchhiking in her mid-teens (which would have been the mid-seventies), and luckily for her, the man who took her in was looking out for her. Obviously not the same for Cali-Doe, but I feel like I understand her MO, she's my mother who caught the short end of the stick, they all are, in some way.

All in all, I want to breathe some new life into this case. I hope no one minds my "theories".

Much love,

-E

Okay, I was not originally on board with this before because of several inconsistencies between the two cases, which I will list shortly, however, the physical atributes are so incredibly similar, there is room for speculation. Here are my lists of what I consider "inconsistencies":

Cali Doe:

1) Seemingly wanted to run away, due to her use of transitional transportation, purchases of truckstop memerobelia, freedom to eat in a diner, and her vagabond clothing.

2) Cali Doe's hair is on the shorter side of shoulder length, with self-placed hilights, and a home perm.

3) Cali Doe shows no signs of ever going to a dentist or a doctor.

4) Any witness to her movement claimed she seemed to be headed north.

5) Cali Doe was found dead in November.

Karen Lynn Zendrosky:

1) Was out bowling with her sister, wearing yellow overalls and a hoodie.

2) She was seen talking to a boy who was in a car with other boys.

3) She was never seen or heard from again after that night, that night being Oct. 8th, approx.

4) She was from NJ.

5) It did not appear that she left of her own free will.

6) Her hair was long, dark, straight, and thick.

7) Karen was a suburbanite and had been to the doctor and dentist at least once.

So here are my biggest holes in the theory that they are the same person:

1) Who would take Karen, drive around with her alive for a month in a 200 mi radius, dress her up in boyish clothing, home perm her hair, hand frost the top, and then shoot her in the head and the back, without and sexual assault? It just doesn't add up for me. They very much look alike, their stories just don't mesh. Cali feels like a classic run-away to me, and Karen's case, sorry to say it, feels a lot like Natalie Holloway's, in that she trusted one guy, not knowing how many there would end up being, there was likely an assault, someone freaked, and her body is lying somewhere in New Jersey.

Does anyone else see what I see?

2) There is the other option of abduction and forced prostitution, which to me, makes their stories more congruent and creates an explination as to why Karen's look would be so altered, but I feel like that's the only alternative to the scenario I see.

Am I wrong?

-E

I agree that no one is likely to drive Karen around with her alive for a month in a 200 mi radius, dress her up in boyish clothing, home perm her hair, hand frost the top, and then shoot her in the head and the back, without sexual assault.

I was thinking more along the lines that she went off somewhere willingly (to a warmer area) and was returning home by hitch hiking and ran into the wrong person.

I have asked previously if anyone knew if the clothes fit Jane Doe? Likely that she chose them for herself? Or, were they thought to be borrowed? Possibly from the perp who came from one of the areas suggested due to the pollen samples? The pockets were emptied. Why would a complete and total stranger need to empty her pockets? Unless the clothes didn't belong to her? Wasn't she seen in a diner in Lima with a man the night before?

I agree that no one is likely to drive Karen around with her alive for a month in a 200 mi radius, dress her up in boyish clothing, home perm her hair, hand frost the top, and then shoot her in the head and the back, without sexual assault.

I was thinking more along the lines that she went off somewhere willingly (to a warmer area) and was returning home by hitch hiking and ran into the wrong person.

I have asked previously if anyone knew if the clothes fit Jane Doe? Likely that she chose them for herself? Or, were they thought to be borrowed? Possibly from the perp who came from one of the areas suggested due to the pollen samples? The pockets were emptied. Why would a complete and total stranger need to empty her pockets? Unless the clothes didn't belong to her? Wasn't she seen in a diner in Lima with a man the night before?

Biggest Zendrosky issues for me:

1) Who goes bowling late at night with a sister to then run away? I wouldn't go to a kegger with my brother with the intention for heading to Arizona in a few hours, not if I've no intention of letting people know where I'm going or if my family life is that poor (Zendrosky's didn't seem to be)

2) She went missing in October. I'm from South Texas. I can speak to the fact that real tan lines are probably from a recent summer excursion and definitely not obtained quickly in the southwest between Oct. 8th and early Nov.

As for the clothing, I think the pollen doesn't hold much weight. 1)Those clothes could have been handed to our Jane Doe from the perp who handled grain for a living or who's teenage sons lived in the southwest. 2)They also look like a feeble attempt to quickly hide an identity or 3)tone down attractiveness for the purposes of "safer" hitchhiking, if there even is such a thing. And, 4)not all clothing is laundered at the thrift store or Goodwill.

I'm just saying, let's find a Zendrosky look-alike who's story fits the bill, because her's isn't cutting the mustard for me. Cali=runaway, Karen=Unwillingly Taken, and don't get me wrong, BOTH are victims.

(totally going to feel like an *advertiser censored** if Zendrosky is a perfect DNA match to Cali-Doe, but would also be OVERJOYED!!!!)

MUCH Love and a hot coffee to all my sleuthers : )

-E

Biggest Zendrosky issues for me:

1) Who goes bowling late at night with a sister to then run away? I wouldn't go to a kegger with my brother with the intention for heading to Arizona in a few hours, not if I've no intention of letting people know where I'm going or if my family life is that poor (Zendrosky's didn't seem to be)

2) She went missing in October. I'm from South Texas. I can speak to the fact that real tan lines are probably from a recent summer excursion and definitely not obtained quickly in the southwest between Oct. 8th and early Nov.

As for the clothing, I think the pollen doesn't hold much weight. 1)Those clothes could have been handed to our Jane Doe from the perp who handled grain for a living or who's teenage sons lived in the southwest. 2)They also look like a feeble attempt to quickly hide an identity or 3)tone down attractiveness for the purposes of "safer" hitchhiking, if there even is such a thing. And, 4)not all clothing is laundered at the thrift store or Goodwill.

I'm just saying, let's find a Zendrosky look-alike who's story fits the bill, because her's isn't cutting the mustard for me. Cali=runaway, Karen=Unwillingly Taken, and don't get me wrong, BOTH are victims.

(totally going to feel like an *advertiser censored** if Zendrosky is a perfect DNA match to Cali-Doe, but would also be OVERJOYED!!!!)

MUCH Love and a hot coffee to all my sleuthers : )

-E

HI and welcome to WS!
Could you please link to the information about Zendrosky going to the bowling alley with her sister? I have looked at a couple of sources that summarize the circumstances of her disappearance and have not come across her being accompanied by her sister.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1667dfnj.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/z/zendrosky_karen.html

I was also thinking along the lines of her running away and then being picked up by her killer.

Ottis Toole, a one-time companion of mass murderer Henry Lee Lucas, claimed he picked up the girl in a park near Philadelphia, traveled with her for a while and was with Lucas when he killed her in Caledonia.

York said he interviewed them separately and "both told me the same thing without knowing what the other said."

A forensic botanist in Texas determined that three microscopic pollen grains from an Australian pine that were recovered this summer inside the girl's red jacket and her pants pocket could have come only from Florida, Arizona or most likely southern California, provided she didn't leave the country.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-10-04-pollen-murder-case_x.htm

Toole and Lucas were transients/drifters. Authorities were not able to account or confirm the whereabouts of either Lucas or Toole during the time of the murder. Both men had been seen in New York State several months before the murder. Moreover, Lucas wandered aimlessly around the American South for a while. Toole was from Florida which could account for the pollen in her pockets. Like Wanting2Help, I was thinking that her clothes may have belonged to her killer since both the shirt and jacket were for males.

Regarding the tan lines, I don't think we know a time period for when the tan was acquired. If a dark tan had been acquired in late August, for example, wouldn't the tan lines still be there November 9th? I am not sure...

Second, I found a description of a person she was with at the diner. Here is a sketch:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/uni...rson/janedoe_livingstonco_ny2.jpg/image_thumb

He was described as a white male, 5'8" - 5'9". Was wearing a flannel shirt. Had wire rim glasses. He also drove a station wagon with wooden sidings.

This is going to sound batty crazy but does anyone else see a resemblance between the man in the posted sketch and the composite of someone seen near one of the Connecticut River Valley killings? Now there are two composites of CRVK and they look pretty different but one sketch has a man with glasses and he's the one I'm thinking of:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41814_103319683047724_4477_n.jpg

He was described as being stocky, round faced, between 20 and 25 with dark hair in 1986.

I wouldn't even normally bring it up but the other thing that gave me pause is the only surviving victim claimed her attacker also had a station wagon with wooden sides and of course the timing matches up as the CRVK was suspected to be active from 1978-1988.

Again, probably crazy and nothing but this is the first time I've seen a sketch of the POI in this case and thought I'd throw it out there. You'd also have to resolve the matter that Cali was shot and the others were all stabbed.

I do seem some resemblance but Suzanne has green eyes and Cali has brown. Cali is also 3 inches shorter than Suzanne.

I also see Suzanne has dental info submitted but I don't see it anywhere. That would be an obvious way to rule her out since Cali has some distinctive tooth decay.

The circumstances certainly fit though. I think if Cali was in a database, she's probably a runaway who disappeared a few months or even years prior to her killing. Seeing as Suzanne disappeared in 1978 and phoned home in 1979, that scenario seems plausible.

Sherry Roach's circumstances fit and I think she would resemble the Jane Doe if you took away the glasses.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/2989dfca.html

Sherry Elizabeth Roach
Missing since June 8, 1976 from San Mateo County, California
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 5, 1959
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes. Glasses.
DNA: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Sherry was last seen on June 8, 1976 when she left the halfway house she was living at to take the bus to work.
She has not been seen since.

I looked at Cali's dental description and it was said she had normal occlusion. I'm not a dentist but I would think that the buckteeth (or overbite) in Sherry Roach's picture would exclude her as a match as I would not consider that normal occlusion.

Hi all,

Today I saw the profile of a missing girl, and she reminded me of this Jane Doe. However she disappeared in 1967 when she was 5 years old.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/elwell_judith.html

l.jpg
Judith Ann Elwell

Hi all,

Today I saw the profile of a missing girl, and she reminded me of this Jane Doe. However she disappeared in 1967 when she was 5 years old.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/elwell_judith.html

I can really see a resemblance between "Cali" and Judith! Is it possible Judith was kept alive by her abductor until she became a unruly teenager? Or she ran away from her abductor when she was older and met a tragic end on the road. Seems unlikely I suppose but stranger things have happened...

It would explain Cali's lack of dental/health care.

caliandjudith.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member