NY - Christopher Porco - Another Menandez situation? - sentenced

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.wnyt.com/porco-blog.xml?sb=x183&ag=x995

Read Insider's comments. Apparently, he/she is a Porco family member. I am glad that Chris was convicted. I think that he is truly a sociopath. But, there are no winners here. Justice was, however served. This was a very ugly case. I don't think that I will ever forget it. God, please help them heal.

hockeymom said:
I believe it was premeditated also. I'm not sure why they didn't go for 1st degree,maybe they thought they would have a harder time getting a conviction?
Circumstantial cases are usually very tough to prove; especially when there's no pysical evidence; so the prosecutors didn't want to shoot for premeditated because that's even tougher to prove than circumstantial. Dismantling the EZ Pass shows premeditation(part of premeditation involves avoiding detection), but when you look at all of Chris's mistakes(his alibi was a lie, he took the thruway with tolls; instead of tolless route 5, he spent almost 3 hours in the house with his jeep in the driveway, he used an axe and not a gun, etc,etc); it actually makes premeditation quite a bit harder to prove. There's even a slim chance Chris was planning a robbery initially, but changed to murder at the house; although I doubt it. Only Chris would know this and doubtful he'd ever tell. On a lighter sidenote: Brendan Lyons of the Times Union is considering writing a book about the case and on a final sidenote; I really hope Joan Porco doesn't give Kindlon/Shanks another $50 grand or even another dime for any appeals because there's almost no shot of winning and changing anything. I hope with time, she'll be okay. It won't be easy, but the support for her in Delmar is very strong; as is her family support and the church. Its been really great sharing posts here!

I certainly feel that the jury verdict was correct. I hope that Joan Porco is able to heal and reconcile with her family. Insider is apparently is a relative of Joan's and his or her comments are most informative. On the eleven oclock new on Ch 10 there was a picture of Joan going into the Albany county jail to visit Chris.

jannuncutt said:
http://www.wnyt.com/porco-blog.xml?sb=x183&ag=x995

Read Insider's comments. Apparently, he/she is a Porco family member. I am glad that Chris was convicted. I think that he is truly a sociopath. But, there are no winners here. Justice was, however served. This was a very ugly case. I don't think that I will ever forget it. God, please help them heal.
Thanks for the link. "Insider" writes very well. It is such a waste of everyone's lives. Chris, IMO, has some real mental issues. Of course, anyone who would murder (especially a family member) is a sick individual.

One of the comments mentioned that Chris received a 50-year sentence. Is this accurate?

nanandjim said:
Thanks for the link. "Insider" writes very well. It is such a waste of everyone's lives. Chris, IMO, has some real mental issues. Of course, anyone who would murder (especially a family member) is a sick individual.

One of the comments mentioned that Chris received a 50-year sentence. Is this accurate?
Hi nanand jim; Chris is currently is Albany County jail on 24 hour watch. Sentencing is October 25th and he's facing 50 years to life. He's a sociopath in the worst possible way, so he needs a life sentence with no parole. Sad but true. In Porco's mind; he probably doesn't even realize he did anything wrong. Also sad but true. As for appeals; unfortunately Kindlon has said he will follow an appeal tomorrow so Joan might be hiring him to do more work. The appeal will go through probably because there is legal precedant that the headnod shouldn't have been allowed. But it was the timeline, the lack of alibi and the yellow jeep that got the conviction; not the head nod; so the appeal has almost no shot at winning Chris his freedom

To all who asked why Chris Porco was not charged/convicted of 1st degree murder.....In NY state, 1st degree murder is reserved for copkillers so the 2nd degree murder charge is the highest you can get in NY unless you off a cop.

Secondly, I just heard an interview with Jim Campbell, the Sheriff of Albany County whose department is responsible for Porco in jail while he awaits his sentencing. Porco was cleared as of yesterday (August 14th) to go into general population and did so about 1pm. He is now on a tier with about 24 other inmates, all of whom are the worst felony offenders being held at the jail. Sheriff Campbell noted that in all of his nearly 40 years in law enforcement, he has "never seen one like this", referring to Porco. He said that when Chris was being transferred from Orange County back to Albany County in the patrol car, he fell asleep and that once in the facility, he slept through the night. This is only a few hours after he was convicted of murder and attempted murder. Additionally, he noted that he follows all directions and is quiet and soft spoken and shows absolutely no emotion whatsoever. Campbell said he is just waiting for the other shoe to drop as he knows there's another side to this guy. Pretty spooky if you ask me. Thank God he's off the street finally!
Once he is sentenced on October 25th (assuming that it comes off at that time) he will be transferred to the state processing facility at Fishkill. Thereafter, he will be transferred to another maximum security state facility to serve his time.
His sentencing is a term of 25 years to life on EACH count and that the terms will be set down consecutively (not concurrently) and as such he will be serving 50 years to life. Some twisted idiot set up a fake website on myspace.com as though it was Porco himself and the first line of the site says, "See you in 2056". Here's the site for what it's worth......seems as though some of his "friends" think it's a real site although some are beginning to catch on.

SheerLuck said:
...it was the timeline, the lack of alibi and the yellow jeep that got the conviction; not the head nod; so the appeal has almost no shot at winning Chris his freedom
Hi SheerLuck. :) I agree. It would not surprise me if the jury totally disregarded the head nod from Joan. It is all of the other strong evidence that convicted Chris.

I heard one juror speak and he said although the head nod was mentioned that was not the focus of their decision to find Chris P guilty. Heard today that his attorney T. Kindlon is preparing a brief or appeal of sorts to present to the Judge before sentencing. One consideration is that the jury was not sequested and had an opportunity to discuss the case with others. I can't believe that he has a prayer of freeing Porco with this nonsense. JMHO

mamaodyssey said:
To all who asked why Chris Porco was not charged/convicted of 1st degree murder.....In NY state, 1st degree murder is reserved for copkillers so the 2nd degree murder charge is the highest you can get in NY unless you off a cop.
Is there a death penalty in NY? Can you get the DP on a charge less than first degree?

In any case, I'm thrilled that justice is being served. I only wish this evil man would be up for the DP. I've rarely heard anything this horrible. Thanks to everyone that kept this thread updated through the trial.

May I ask a favor? I linked here from an Albany, NY blog. I never would have known about your thread (I have belonged here for 3 yrs), by it's title. I also realize the trial is over, but there's still sentencing, etc. I have really enjoyed everyone's input--- would it be possible to add some identifying words to the title? TIA

It is my understanding that NYS does have the death penalty but it is reserved for those causing the death of a police officer. Please correct me if I am mistaken. I would have liked to have seen C Porco sentenced to life without possible parole.

Death Penalty Information Center

Has the DP - and you're correct, was re-enacted in September 1995.

Although NY is on the list of states with the DP, this additional information follows:

* The New York (6/24) death penalty statute was declared unconstitutional in 2004.

Deadline: State By State Death Penalty Information: New York (updated Jan. 2006)

Does my state have the death penalty?

Yes, however New York has not had an execution since 1976. There is currently a court ordered moratorium in effect.

What is my governor's position on the death penalty?

New York Governor George E. Pataki (R) strongly favors the death penalty. He was a major force behind the reinstitution of the death penalty in New York. Pataki signed the death penalty into law in New York in March of 1995.

How many people are on Death Row in my state?

There are currently 2 prisoners on Death Row in New York. Of the 2 Death Row prisoners, 1 is black and 1 is white.

On June 24, 2004, the New York State Supreme Court, by a 4-3 ruling, ruled the state’s capital punishment statute unconstitutional. This decision appears to invalidate the sentences of all four men on New York’s Death Row.

Sorry for my misinformation regarding the death penalty. I was under the impression that since it was declared as unconstitutional, it would take new legislation to re-enact it.

jannuncutt said:
Sorry for my misinformation regarding the death penalty. I was under the impression that since it was declared as unconstitutional, it would take new legislation to re-enact it.
That's no problem at all. Even while looking it up last night, I was getting confused by all of the back and forth activity regarding it.

Gee, NY is mild compared to SC. Here's the info on SC.

South Carolina
Does my state have the death penalty?
Yes, South Carolina has executed a total of 35 people since 1976.

What is my governor's position on the death penalty?
South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford (R) strongly favors the death penalty.

How many people are on Death Row in my state?
Of the 76 Death Row prisoners, 39 are black and 37 are white.

Thanks so much for the heads up on the 48 hours show. Now the trick is remembering that it's on. lol. :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back