NY - Christopher Porco - Another Menandez situation? - sentenced

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Today was interesting to say the least. 3 people testified for the defense, but I'm not sure how much they helped the defense. The neurologist said Joan Porco might never remember the attack, but everyone; including I would think; the jury; knows this already. What I thought mattered most was what the neurologist said about the head nods when Joan was questioned by the police; which was after the attack, but before the coma. The prosecution asked her if Joan might have understood what the cops were asking her; as she lay in her bed. The neurosurgeon said it’s possible she understood the questions from the detective.

While I think it's only a 50-50 chance of getting a conviction; due to some major mistakes made early on by Bethlehem Police(including 1 that was discussed today that I really don't want to talk about); I think Kindlon made a major bonehead blunder today in having John Kearney testify. Kearney is Chris's boss(a vetinarian). He told the jury what a great kid Chris was, but 2 other credible witnesses had already told this to the jury. During cross examination; Kearney was forced to tell the jury that Chris was trained for "after surgery" clean up; which involved a lot of blood clean up. He also told the jury Chris had gloves and all the needed clothing and accessories for clean up. Basically Kearney unwittingly explained to the jury a pretty strong theorey as to why there was no blood in the jeep. This was Kindlons strongest arguement, but only due to Kearney's testimony today; does the the jury finally find out that Chris was put in charge of "after surgery" clean up. Kindlon has been rather glib throughout the trial, but today he might have buried his client...let's hope

SheerLuck said:
While I think it's only a 50-50 chance of getting a conviction; due to some major mistakes made early on by Bethlehem Police(including 1 that was discussed today that I really don't want to talk about); I think Kindlon made a major bonehead blunder today in having John Kearney testify. Kearney is Chris's boss(a vetinarian). He told the jury what a great kid Chris was, but 2 other credible witnesses had already told this to the jury. During cross examination; Kearney was forced to tell the jury that Chris was trained for "after surgery" clean up; which involved a lot of blood clean up. He also told the jury Chris had gloves and all the needed clothing and accessories for clean up. Basically Kearney unwittingly explained to the jury a pretty strong theorey as to why there was no blood in the jeep. This was Kindlons strongest arguement, but only due to Kearney's testimony today; does the the jury finally find out that Chris was put in charge of "after surgery" clean up. Kindlon has been rather glib throughout the trial, but today he might have buried his client...let's hope

I would hope it would be much higher than 50%!! What I'v seen seems incredibly damning. What are the mistakes? What was discussed today?

I have not been able to get on here as my computer is infected. Seems to be ok at the moment ,so I just had to comment.I think there is more than a 50% chance he will be convicted.(I hope). sounds like the defense hasn't been too good. That doesn't surprise me. What was the "big" surprise that they were supposed to present? Was it that there were 2 cars speeding out of the neighborhood? Big deal,I have cars coming in and out of my neighborhood too.
The vet testimony is interesting,ah? Kind of answers any questions the jury might have had about the disposal of the bloody evidence. Not a good witness for the defense,IMO.

this is a fascinating case--jannicut,those e-mails are very interesting---the mother keeps hounding him about his credit rating,how his life will be ruined by a lousy credit rating,obviously the parents have tried to teach him responsibility about money for many years,and failed miserably--the father had enough while the mother was more in denial--but you can still read her increasing frustration,shouting at him in that 2nd to last e-mail---pretty chilling stuff--and today she looks hideous--after reading the posts here for many months,it looks more like 95% chance of conviction,rather than 50% imo--this kid is a monster,needs to be executed or put away forever---btw,i'd like to thank all the people here for posting about this case--much appreciated

I came across this thread on the weekend, and couldn't stop reading until I read everything. This case is so unbelieveable! What a monster! I'm just at a lost for words. I'm glad it was posted. Thanks.

I thought 50-50 because of the judge and the Bethlehem Police. Hopefully I'm wrong but here's my thinking. I thought the judge was very much against the prosecution from start to finish. If the judge allows all the evidence; Porco would be sunk; but the judge gives Porco a slim shot; by supressing TONS of very relevant evidence. The jury knows only half what we know. As for the BP; in all fairness they did some very good work in spots, but unfortunately they've given "reasonable doubt" a slim shot(in my opinion). They ran a very lengthy 20 month investigation, but they did not investigate every lead. When you're dealing with only circumstantial evidence and you run a 20 month investigation; you've got to investigate every lead to eliminate any shot at "rush to judgement". I don't like Kindlon at all, but I have to agree with him, that the BP completely ignored a potentially major clue that might or might not have been very relevant. Hopefully Porco didn't connect with any of the jury members, but all it takes is one; to get a hung jury and a retrial. That's why I hope for guilty, but have to say 50-50

tuppence said:
I would hope it would be much higher than 50%!! What I'v seen seems incredibly damning. What are the mistakes? What was discussed today?
tuppence; without the OJ trial; I'd say 75%. As for mistakes. Here's 1 example. What the BP initially took from Porco's dorm room in Rochester, was far less than the FBI or State Police would have taken. The BP mistakenly left some obvious stuff there; 1 example being some of Porco's sports caps. Every bit of clothing; including jackets and headware should have been immediately taken. They weren't. And then we find out the toll booth operator remembered a young man with a hat. A winter jacket also was left there

hockeymom said:
What was the "big" surprise that they were supposed to present? Was it that there were 2 cars speeding out of the neighborhood? Big deal,I have cars coming in and out of my neighborhood too.
The vet testimony is interesting,ah? Kind of answers any questions the jury might have had about the disposal of the bloody evidence. Not a good witness for the defense,IMO.
Yep; hockeymom, you're right; Kindlon blundered big time with the vet testifying. And what Kindlon wanted the vet to testify about, was thrown out by the judge; deservedly so. He wanted to have the vet say that Tony Arduini(the recently deceased detective); had a personal vendetta against Porco; as Porco had been friends with Arduini's daughters; with rumors of some problems after dating one of them. The judge didn't allow this sleazy angle in and then the vet in cross examination revealed that Porco was specifically trained for "after surgery" clean up. Rumors were that the big surprise was going to be a young girl; making the claim that she was with Porco on the night of the murder. Just a rumor though; so Porco's alibi looks to be a total lie; as 6 frat members say he never was in lounge and not a single person can vouge for him. Combining his alibi which is a lie,with the incredibly strong timeline; I'd say you people are right...my 50-50 should be 80-20! No way he's found not guilty; just a chance at hung jury

[What was the "big" surprise that they were supposed to present? Was it that there were 2 cars speeding out of the neighborhood? Big deal,I have cars coming in and out of my neighborhood too.

To me this is a very big deal. Most likely Porco did the crime alone, but it's about the most pathetic police work I've ever seen; in regard to not following up on the funeral director's claim. Here's why: The funeral home director testified that "at about 2:10 a.m. he was "forced off of Charles Blvd. by 2 speeding cars coming away from Brockley Drive". And here's the timeline: At 2:14 a.m., the security alarm is disarmed. Charles Blvd. is a short little road and is only about 1/4 to 1/3rd of a mile from the Porco home. I heard a while back that the Bethlehem Police were adamant in not wanting to question the funeral home director, which is why I've never eliminated the possibilty of Porco having an accomplice. I've wondered all along why there's 23 minutes from the time Porco leaves the thruway toll(1:51 a.m.) to the time the alarm is disarmed(2:14 a.m.). This should be just a 10-12 minute drive, so what was Porco doing the other 10 minutes or so? Also, a fingerprint by the cut phone line was not Porco's. So how do the BP not question this guy? Also what's this guys deal? He runs a funeral home and also works as a part time airline baggage worker? This to me is strange in itself. He needs money that bad? He lived just 1/4 mile from Porco, so did he know the family? Did he know Chris? Unfortunately we'll never know. My point being; any chance at finding a potential accomplice or someone else was eliminated by a terrible police force. That was Kindlons point also. Still though...he's guilty!

As a poster has pointed out the dog closed up in the basement seems to incriminate Chris. An unknown perp could have put it down there if they were familiar with the house and the basement was convenient but it seems a coincident that Barr was known by family members to be in the basement or maybe sometimes he was put down there for parties or when formal guests were visiting? So many times we have lamented the pets having to witness crimes against their owners but in this case someone seems to be concerned for the well being of the dog. Closed up in the basement lest it see things that might upset it? In the emails from Mrs. Porco she mentions Barr the dog. On page 5 She writes that your brother Barr is visiting your room and that Barr told her he wants him [Chris] to be the best he can be. Barr and Chris seem to be close since Barr pined away for Chris in his room. Mrs. Porco seems to consider Barr a part of the family so I doubt she would have closed him in the basement at night with no good reason. He seemed to have the run of the house with his needs closely attended to. In the emails she mentions giving him a bath, picking up meds and his nudging her hand and she going to see what he might be asking for.

http://timesunion.com/specialreports/porco/graphics/JoanPorcoEmails.pdf

OT but on page 3 she mentions they found bed they liked at Vermont Made Furniture. :eek:

Well the closing arguments are completed and the jury will be charged tomorrow. Personally I am relieved that this is almost over so I can get back to my normal life instead of being so utterly obsessed with this most heinous, yet incredibly interesting crime. I think Mike McDermott hit the nail on the head in his summation when he said that Christopher is either guilty or the unluckiest man on the planet! He's guilty IMHO. Too bad the jury couldn't hear all of the stuff against Christopher....burglaries, forged transcripts, purported alibi. I thought it was interesting that one news reporter in the court room during summations noted that although Christopher turned away from some of the pictures displayed during the Power Point presentation which was part of the summation, that he noted Joan Porco had her eye glued to the screen and ended up developing one of her horrible headaches which have plagued her since the attack. This would probably be the first time she saw and heard the whole picture of the crime as it was presented in the courtroom since she was excluded from the room for most of the trial until after she testified. Wouldn't it be incredible if because of the things she saw during that summation that she suddenly remembered everything.........or at least enough to know that it was her son that did it. Wonder what would happen then????

Capital News 9 began showing the closing arguments in full this evening. I understand that it will be shown on Ch 1009 tomorrow if anyone is interested. Also on the wnyt. porco blog Mrs. Arduini posted a rebuttal to the Times Union which stated that she had asked the Vet to fire Chris Porco. It was verified that she indeed had posted the information which also addressed the fact that her daughters did not date Chris Porco etc.
The post can be found on the blog and was posted in the testimony section Aug. 8 at 9:03am.

mamaodyssey said:
Well the closing arguments are completed and the jury will be charged tomorrow. Personally I am relieved that this is almost over so I can get back to my normal life instead of being so utterly obsessed with this most heinous, yet incredibly interesting crime. I think Mike McDermott hit the nail on the head in his summation when he said that Christopher is either guilty or the unluckiest man on the planet! He's guilty IMHO. Too bad the jury couldn't hear all of the stuff against Christopher....burglaries, forged transcripts, purported alibi. I thought it was interesting that one news reporter in the court room during summations noted that although Christopher turned away from some of the pictures displayed during the Power Point presentation which was part of the summation, that he noted Joan Porco had her eye glued to the screen and ended up developing one of her horrible headaches which have plagued her since the attack. This would probably be the first time she saw and heard the whole picture of the crime as it was presented in the courtroom since she was excluded from the room for most of the trial until after she testified. Wouldn't it be incredible if because of the things she saw during that summation that she suddenly remembered everything.........or at least enough to know that it was her son that did it. Wonder what would happen then????
What an interesting post mamaodyssey! That would be really something if she did start to remember the attack after viewing the pictures. You got my mind really spinning now LOL!

Jessica said:
Capital News 9 began showing the closing arguments in full this evening. I understand that it will be shown on Ch 1009 tomorrow if anyone is interested. Also on the wnyt. porco blog Mrs. Arduini posted a rebuttal to the Times Union which stated that she had asked the Vet to fire Chris Porco. It was verified that she indeed had posted the information which also addressed the fact that her daughters did not date Chris Porco etc.
The post can be found on the blog and was posted in the testimony section Aug. 8 at 9:03am.
Thanks Jessica. I'm going to check out that blog.

If anyone wants to refresh their memory on any of the 75 witnesses called by the prosecutors; here's a great link, which outlines all 75 witnesses with a brief summary of what they said. It would be very tough for the jury to read this list and not find Porco guilty.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=498839

I found one in particular; that is very eery. Witness 45 was one of Porco's best friends from Delmar:

45. Daniel Kidera, Porco's close friend in high school. In summer of 2004, Porco discussed his parents' estate wills and told Kidera he knew where they were kept and had read them.

Assuming this witness told the truth; and I'm sure he probably did; this means that Porco might have initially had the murder idea a good 4 months before it happened. It doesn't mean he planned the murder that far in advance, but the seed was planted. Assuming Porco is the murderer or accomplice; I just find it so eery that the parents unknowingly had a son who was a cold hearted, unfeeling sociopath, who might have immediatly had the idea of murder when the wills were discussed. So how does a parent know if his kids are sociopaths if sociopaths like Porco are so personable??? I guess to be safe; what my kids don't know, can't hurt them...or me either. I'm kidding...sort of...

mamaodyssey said:
Wouldn't it be incredible if because of the things she saw during that summation that she suddenly remembered everything.........or at least enough to know that it was her son that did it. Wonder what would happen then????
One thing a lot of people don't know; is that Kindlon, Shanks and Polster(her family "friend" and lawyer) did all they could; to prevent Joan from ever remembering anything about that horrible night. She was given clear instructuions early on; to never discuss the case or the circumstances leading up to the murder; with anyone. Kindlon knew if Joan ever remembered; his client(Chris) would probably be sunk. She was instructed to not even talk about the case or about Chris; to her brother or to her son Jonathan; for fear of remembering. It's ironic mamaodyssey, that you posted this; because from day 1; this has been Kindlons biggest fear. He can rest easy now and take a nice long vacation, with Joans $200,000+. And to think I used to respect Kindlon for his Vietnam service; where he almost died.

SheerLuck said:
...It's ironic mamaodyssey, that you posted this; because from day 1; this has been Kindlons biggest fear. He can rest easy now and take a nice long vacation, with Joans $200,000+. And to think I used to respect Kindlon for his Vietnam service; where he almost died.
I have a lot of respect for many criminal defense attorneys as it is a tough job.(having been one myself for a relatively short time some years ago......I switched to civil proceedings after that!!) Unfortunately, there are some defense attorneys who are misguided and think it is their mission is to get their client off. This is not their mission at all. It is to hold the prosecution to their proof, test the prosecution's theories and to be sure that if there is to be a conviction, that it is done beyond a reasonable doubt. I have virtually no respect for Terry Kindlon after this trial as I beleive that many of his tactics were uncalled for and shameful.....putting up a good front in the face of adverse evidence is one thing; disparaging another person (Arduini) especially when that person in dead and cannot defend himself (or expose the lies expounded by Kindlon about the dating situation and about Arduini supposedly planting DNA on the toll ticket) is reprehensible. It's a , lowdown and desperate move and is a black mark on the profession. There's a saying in the porfession that when all else fails, abuse the other side! Well I think that says it all, don't you?

SheerLuck said:
One thing a lot of people don't know; is that Kindlon, Shanks and Polster(her family "friend" and lawyer) did all they could; to prevent Joan from ever remembering anything about that horrible night. She was given clear instructuions early on; to never discuss the case or the circumstances leading up to the murder; with anyone. Kindlon knew if Joan ever remembered; his client(Chris) would probably be sunk. She was instructed to not even talk about the case or about Chris; to her brother or to her son Jonathan; for fear of remembering. It's ironic mamaodyssey, that you posted this; because from day 1; this has been Kindlons biggest fear. He can rest easy now and take a nice long vacation, with Joans $200,000+. And to think I used to respect Kindlon for his Vietnam service; where he almost died.
If Chris did nothing wrong, why the insistence that Joan not talk about the experience or her son? If it was another perpetrator, wouldn't you think that they would want her to see a psychologist and to talk about the night (if she wanted to) to perhaps jog her memory of the person who really attacked her??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back