NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay another bump.
Go search the area again with dogs before winter sets in.

Blue Mountain Lake (about 30 miles south of Tupper Lake) already has over 6 inches of ice on the Lake and probably 6 or more inches of snow so I'm sure that Tupper Lake is pretty much the same. Hunters have been asked to keep an eye out for any signs of Colin....

I used to go to class with someone who was in Search and Rescue. I know that he and his friends (who are forest rangers in the Tupper Lake area) used to go on their days off to continue to search for Colin after the official search(es) ended. One of the guys has a search and rescue dog (not a cadaver dog) and he brought her with him. I'm not sure how long they continued to search but I do know they continued after the "offical search" ended.

RUMOR: I was told that in one of the 1st searches Colin's scent was traced going towards the lake but they lost the trail and there were NO signs of him falling through the ice.

Also, someone above asked about bears in the area. Yes there are bears in the area but I have not heard of anyone being attacked unless the bear was injured/provoked. They mostly raid garbage cans and occasionaly a camp. I have only seen a bear once in the wild and it was running so fast I could not focus my camera on it. They (brown bears) are usually more scared of humans than we are of them.

The shoe on the side of the road makes me think he was hit by a car or there was a struggle.

There was a case a while back where a teacher (Sherry Arnold) was out jogging and was pulled into a car and killed. They found her shoe on the side of the road but nothing else. I would like to know how far away they found the shoe compared to where Colin was seen on the road flailing his arms? Was he hurt and trying to flag down the driver?

Could Colin have broken and fallen through the ice and it re-froze pretty quickly? That doesn't seem too unfathomable to me in very cold weather between the time he broke through and by the time they went down to search by the water.

Blue Mountain Lake (about 30 miles south of Tupper Lake) already has over 6 inches of ice on the Lake and probably 6 or more inches of snow so I'm sure that Tupper Lake is pretty much the same. Hunters have been asked to keep an eye out for any signs of Colin....

Hi Wanting2Help - in mid-March how many inches of ice do you think Tupper Lake might have? Is there some kind of almanac where we could find out how thick the ice was in March 2012?

Where are you Colin? How do you disappear in 10 minutes?! The News Editor's story checked out, correct? Why was he out with his Mom at that time of morning (1:45 a.m.) again? Do we know that? Is it possible that he hit Colin accidentally and went to the police to report he was concerned that he saw Colin walking alone and flailing his arms as a cover-up to him hitting him? Not accusing anyone, please understand, just trying to find those 10 minutes, according to the News Editor.

I found the weather history for Saranac Lake (close as I could find), not sure it helps though...

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KSLK/2012/3/11/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Tupper+Lake&req_state=NY&req_statename=New+York

IF I'm reading it right it looks like it was around 21 degrees with windchill around 11 degrees.

Just guessing but it looks like the ice may have been between 10-12" thick. It would depend on water currents and weather history of course. I can't find anything for exact history. What I found says fishermen have to have Ice Shanties removed by March 15th, so it must be thick enough to do that (usually they remove them by driving on the ice with a four wheeler/truck, etc.)

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html

A minimum of three to four inches of solid ice is the general rule for safety. Ice thickness, however, is not uniform on any body of water. The guidelines presented here are based on clear, blue, hard ice on non-running waters. Remember, your own good judgement is essential!

The American Pulpwood Association has developed a table for judging the relative safety of ice on lakes and streams. This is just a guide; use your own good judgement before going out on any ice. Avoid areas of moving water, including where streams enter the lake, and around spillways and dams.

Ice Thickness Table Ice Thickness Permissible Load
2 inches one person on foot
3 inches group in single file
7.5 inches one car (2 tons)
8 inches light truck (2.5 tons)
10 inches truck (3.5 tons)
12 inches heavy truck (7-8 tons)
15 inches 10 tons
20 inches 25 tons

Note: This guide is based on clear, blue, hard ice on non-running waters. Slush ice is about 50 percent weaker. Clear, blue ice over running water is about 20 percent weaker. Many ice anglers do not like to fish on less than five inches of ice, and do not like to drive a pick-up truck on less than 15 inches of ice. Use common sense!

Be cautious in areas where "bubblers" are used to protect docks. They can produce thin, unsafe ice some distance away. Be especially alert in areas near shore, over moving bodies of water and on lakes and ponds where streams enter or exit.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7733.html

Just reading this thread...my two cents...if the flailing of his arms is correct, I believe it could have been hypothermia..however, the fact that no other clothing was ever found...makes me think that it wasnt. So, I will have to go with foul play. He was hit by a car, or taken and harmed.

The guy (newspaper editor) and his mom's story totally checked out. They had gone out somewhere that night (I think it was a movie or a party) and he was driving her back to her house. All the times checked out.

Great info, Wanting2Help!! Thank you.

I didn't realize all the different types/descriptions of ice.

I wonder if they found footprints in snow but just not into the lake. Or if the footprints would get snow blown quickly and there wouldn't be much evidence of someone trekking down or falling down a hill or rocks.

I keep going between hit/taken OR accident in the woods - possibly falling through weak ice and it re-freezing.

I know we have talked about this earlier in the thread but I am just "bringing it up" for the new readers.

A classic sign of hypothermia is feeling hot and shedding clothes and shoes, irrational thinking, and burrowing (hiding yourself under something).

I still think Colin could have suffered and died from this.

Great info here! The ice info is very interesting! Thank you!

Based on finding one shoe and his ID, I'm leaning towards him being hit, especially because no other clothes or the other shoe have not been found and because, in all likelihood, his ID was in his pocket and may have slipped out (especially if it was laminated) when he was picked up from the road. It may have even been a "joke" tap (I would never do anything like that!) from a friend/s which turned into Colin being accidentally killed and they freaked out and took his body somewhere or whoever he got into the argument with went after him, hit him, and took him. Or maybe he walked into a car's path due to hypothermia? They may have slowed down to help and then he stepped into the path? Maybe the driver was drinking and thought his/her story wouldn't be believed because of it?

Just trying to think of how he could've been hit and throwing out some ideas.

I'm still trying to find out how he got to the party, does anyone know?

I've read the thread and find the whole thing so tragic that he was seen then vanished into thin air almost within 15 minutes. I would think that if he was hit, that the snow would have been disturbed or some type of evidence would have been seen in that short time period.

It makes me wonder if he didn't voluntarily take a ride from someone. It'd be nice to know if the officer dispatched saw any other vehicles or if anyone else driving in the area did that night.

I tried to look through the facebook page but found it a bit confusing. I did find this poster saved as a file there and it's twin on the Tupper Lake homepage: http://tupper-lake.com/10000-reward-for-location-andor-safe-return-of-colin-gillis/

It states that he had his jacket on (the one we've seen stated that was in his backpack). I haven't seen anywhere else say he had it on from eye witness testimony but perhaps they just assumed he'd have put it on (or someone at the party reported him taking his backpack that had the coat in it). If his backpack had been left in a friend's car or at the party you'd think the police would know that and it'd have been taken for evidence or returned to his parents.

I found this news article that I don't believe has been linked here: http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x254598196/Colin-Gillis-missing-for-one-year

It describes the search in more detail than we've known. It looks like they really did a thorough job as far as searching the bodies of water:

Teams worked an intensive grid, walking step by step, covering miles of backwoods terrain as rangers and police used air boats and high-tech radar equipment to peer into the waters of the Raquette River and Piercefield Flow.

It seems rather unusual for a stranger to spot him so close to when he disappeared yet no clues are really available. It makes me wonder if he voluntarily left with either a stranger or a friend and then something happened from there. I wish there was more information about what happened at that party!

This article states this about what was found: http://www.wcax.com/story/21568766/investigators

But a year later, just a few small personal items have been found, including his ID card -- located in the road the day after his disappearance.

That doesn't really sound like his shoe though we know that's been discussed as being present then pulled. What if the shoe is a red herring and never happened? What if he lost his id awhile back because he fell for some reason related to exhaustion or the slick snow? It's never been stated how close to where he was seen where his id was found which seems like a really important piece of information!

I haven't read thru all of this. But was the military utilized? They fly missions over/near Tupper Lake about 5 days out of the week.

I haven't read thru all of this. But was the military utilized? They fly missions over/near Tupper Lake about 5 days out of the week.

Great question rizzo! Air Force? Sorry if that is a stupid question!

Used to be fighters out of Syracuse and Burlington. Now it's drones out of Watertown and fighters from Burlington.

I've read the thread and find the whole thing so tragic that he was seen then vanished into thin air almost within 15 minutes. I would think that if he was hit, that the snow would have been disturbed or some type of evidence would have been seen in that short time period.

It makes me wonder if he didn't voluntarily take a ride from someone. It'd be nice to know if the officer dispatched saw any other vehicles or if anyone else driving in the area did that night.

I tried to look through the facebook page but found it a bit confusing. I did find this poster saved as a file there and it's twin on the Tupper Lake homepage: http://tupper-lake.com/10000-reward-for-location-andor-safe-return-of-colin-gillis/

It states that he had his jacket on (the one we've seen stated that was in his backpack). I haven't seen anywhere else say he had it on from eye witness testimony but perhaps they just assumed he'd have put it on (or someone at the party reported him taking his backpack that had the coat in it). If his backpack had been left in a friend's car or at the party you'd think the police would know that and it'd have been taken for evidence or returned to his parents.

I found this news article that I don't believe has been linked here: http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x254598196/Colin-Gillis-missing-for-one-year

It describes the search in more detail than we've known. It looks like they really did a thorough job as far as searching the bodies of water:

Teams worked an intensive grid, walking step by step, covering miles of backwoods terrain as rangers and police used air boats and high-tech radar equipment to peer into the waters of the Raquette River and Piercefield Flow.

It seems rather unusual for a stranger to spot him so close to when he disappeared yet no clues are really available. It makes me wonder if he voluntarily left with either a stranger or a friend and then something happened from there. I wish there was more information about what happened at that party!

This article states this about what was found: http://www.wcax.com/story/21568766/investigators

But a year later, just a few small personal items have been found, including his ID card -- located in the road the day after his disappearance.

That doesn't really sound like his shoe though we know that's been discussed as being present then pulled. What if the shoe is a red herring and never happened? What if he lost his id awhile back because he fell for some reason related to exhaustion or the slick snow? It's never been stated how close to where he was seen where his id was found which seems like a really important piece of information!

Thank you Ashcat! From your article from Press Republican:

"He was last seen wearing a white shirt with black strips, blue jeans and red high-top Nike Air sneakers. He had an orange L.L. Bean backpack with him that night.", it would seem like with the white shirt, red sneakers, and orange backpack that it wouldn't be hard to find Colin so now I'm definitely leaning towards someone taking him from where he was last seen but the short amount of time between the his sighting and the report to the police of concern is concerning to me but I know bad things can happen at any time and within a very, very short time period, maybe this is what happened with Colin :(

Does anyone know how Colin got to the party and about any RSOs in the area - sorry to keep repeating myself but I'm afraid I'm going to forget I asked these ?s in previous posts.

I really wish we had a Verified Insider to help with Colin's case, it would help so much and let us focus on the what is instead of the what may/could be.

I still want to know what happened at that party and why he left.

I still want to know what happened at that party and why he left.

Me too. That and who/what the phone call was that he received right before he disappeared seem like they could really help crack the case!

It's interesting to me that the guy who is mentioned in the early parts of the thread as having seen Colin twice (once taking his cousin home and then on the way back) and actually was in theory the last person to talk to Colin other than his phone call isn't mentioned in other accounts of the story later in the reports I linked. They just mention the newspaper editor who saw him. Was the young man's report later discredited? Was something else going on with whole situation?

If his report that Colin said he was waiting for his friend to pick him up is true it's intriguing. And in my mind lends more credence that he might have gotten into a vehicle voluntarily.

I also still wonder why he's not wearing his coat if he really wasn't in it. That links to why he left I think, if he was in such a hurry to leave the vicinity that he'd leave his coat behind and it was that cold (11F right?). He either thought his ride would be there very soon or he just needed to be gone no matter the consequences of the cold?

So many questions :( and so few answers. I too wish we had an insider there!

Bumpin' for Colin!!! I know the holiday season is upon us but I'm still dedicated to those who are missing and not able to celebrate with their family and friends. Let's keep his thread going!

Colin's Project Jason profile:

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic/3094-missing-teen-colin-gillis-ny-03112012/

I believe that the shirt he has on in his picture is the same shirt that he had on when he went missing.

Also, from Project Jason's accumulated articles:

"But only a learner’s permit belonging to Colin was found near where Setting Pole Dam Road connects with Route 3, according to eyewitness accounts."

So, if he had a learner's permit, he didn't drive himself to the party unless he had a driver 21 years or older in the vehicle with him because, according to the NYS DMV:

"General Restrictions for All Drivers with Learner Permits

No matter what age you are, if you hold a learner permit, you may not drive:

Unless accompanied by a supervising driver age 21 or older who has a license valid to operate the vehicle you are driving. For example, only a person with a motorcycle license may supervise a motorcycle learner."

Source: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm

So, did I miss somewhere about who drove him to the party?

Colin, where are you?!

I hear crickets :( Bumpin' for Colin again! Please help if you can!

His Mom's FB post from 12/11/13:

"640 days is way to long to have seen your handsome face.... Just sayin'. Love you!"

Now it's 649 days, I would love to see it end at 650 days for Colin and his family.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/269264163154101/

The timing of the report of Colin walking alongside the road and the police response is really bothering me - juts thinking out loud again - why was his ID out? I thought it may have slid out after being picked up after being hit but what if he was asked to show it and events unfolded from there? Not saying it was an officer but maybe someone impersonating an officer who was listening to a scanner? Thoughts?

The impact from the car dislodged the wallet from his pocket, or when his body was being moved. All speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makaylaj