NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The impact from the car dislodged the wallet from his pocket, or when his body was being moved. All speculation.

I agree.

Either this or he dropped it and didn't realize it. I've picked up someone's debit card or something in a store and handed it back. They didn't even know they dropped it. Now imagine in the cold and dark. Maybe fumbling in his pockets to get warmth.

Did anyone figure out why he might have been on that particular road where his id (and possibly his shoe) was found? Do we have a home address for Colin?

Did anyone figure out why he might have been on that particular road where his id (and possibly his shoe) was found? Do we have a home address for Colin?

I think he was walking the opposite way of his parents house. I could be remembering wrong. I do remember the direction he was going didn't make sense.

It looks like from Google that the road ends at the lake. There are houses on there but I wonder if him heading down that road had something to do with the fight at the party?

Does anyone know if he was dating anyone at the time he disappeared?

I wonder if there are any abandonded/bank owned homes in the area his belongings were found? After he left the party and realized it was dangerously cold could he have been looking for help? Maybe he went down that road toward the lake knowing there would be houses where he could get help? If so where those houses searched?
Or could he have known there were likely ice chantys on the lake and that they may have heaters in them and he fell through a fishing hole?

Its a bit of a drive from me but would photos of the area help anyone?

Its a bit of a drive from me but would photos of the area help anyone?

Photos would be VERY helpful but I don't want you driving a long way if the roads are in bad shape or it's too far!

I REALLY wish we could get someone on here who was a verified insider - Wanting or anyone else, do you know anyone who may be connected to Colin's family in any way? There are SO many questions about Colin's disappearance, that of we had answers to them, we could move along in finding out what happened to him and maybe find him!

SO many great questions here that remain unanswered because there's no one to answer them. Anyone know New York State Police Capt. John Tibbits?

I wonder if there are any abandonded/bank owned homes in the area his belongings were found? After he left the party and realized it was dangerously cold could he have been looking for help? Maybe he went down that road toward the lake knowing there would be houses where he could get help? If so where those houses searched?
Or could he have known there were likely ice chantys on the lake and that they may have heaters in them and he fell through a fishing hole?

Hi Wanting - I liked your post but forgot to respond to it! These are very good questions! Still wishing we had some answers to our questions :(

Once the weather warms up I will take a ride and get some photos, its about 2 hours away I think. It suposed to be -8 degrees for the high in Friday and we are set to get a major snowstorm.

I wish I knew the police Captain or anyone else involved but I don't. Could someone invite the admin if Colin's FB page to join us?

Once the weather warms up I will take a ride and get some photos, its about 2 hours away I think. It suposed to be -8 degrees for the high in Friday and we are set to get a major snowstorm.

I wish I knew the police Captain or anyone else involved but I don't. Could someone invite the admin if Colin's FB page to join us?

Be safe! Another storm is coming :(

I will see if I can extend the invitation - another great idea!

Bumpin' for Colin! Reaching out to fellow WS'ers to take a look at Colin's case, new eyes are appreciated! TIA!

It looks like from Google that the road ends at the lake. There are houses on there but I wonder if him heading down that road had something to do with the fight at the party?

Does anyone know if he was dating anyone at the time he disappeared?

In response to the above BBM...

Snipped...

...His girlfriend is Laura Koehler, a 2011 graduate of Hornell Senior High School.

Gillis, a student at SUNY Brockport, and Koehler, a freshman at Nazareth College in Rochester, met through a mutual friend in November. They began dating at the end of January.

“I knew when I met him he was going to mean something,” Koehler said Sunday.

In Hornell on spring break, Koehler was told of Gillis’s disappearance Sunday. She said it was difficult to be at home, away from others who know him.

She travelled to be with Gillis’s family and friends Tuesday. She went first to Utica, to be with the girlfriend of Gillis’s older brother, and then to Tupper Lake.

http://www.eveningtribune.com/x1267...as-search-continues-for-Tupper-Lake-boyfriend

Sniped from above article...

By now, although hearts are still filled with hope, there is little doubt that dwelling restlessly amongst those mountain spirits is the soul of a young man born and raised in the township of Tupper Lake named Colin Gillis. He was only 18 when he mysteriously disappeared without a trace on March 11, 2012, and no one has seen or heard from him since.

When Gillis had returned from college on Spring Break that March, the days had already begun to grow longer and warmer, although the nights, dipping down into the teens and well below, were still characteristically unforgiving.

The pre-med student was excited to once again be in that familiar neck of the woods he “knew like the back of his hand” and was particularly looking forward to a party being held on the evening of March 10th.

There, he was planning to meet up with some of his former high school classmates, some of whom he hadn’t seen since graduation.

Gillis was dressed for a 40-degree day when he grabbed a backpack and set out for the gathering shortly after having dinner with his parents. But it was already down into the twenties and the mercury still falling when he later left that party on foot at around two in the morning, presumably intoxicated and reportedly annoyed.

The youth was last observed by a passing motorist “flailing his arms” at the side of Route 3, a desolate section of roadway between Tupper Lake proper and the village of Piercefield, where the Gillis family lives.

As it turned out, the driver of the car that passed Colin Gillis at the early morning hours of March 11th was the editor of the local paper The Lake Placid News. This trusted eyewitness happened to be ferrying his elderly mother back to her home in the village of Tupper Lake and, concerned by Gillis’ frantic conduct and for the safety of a vulnerable passenger, decided not to stop. He went instead to the nearest police station to relay the incident.

Officers from that police department have since repeatedly stated that they responded immediately to this man’s urgent-sounding report and quickly drove out to the area in question but, upon arrival, saw no one there at all. Days later, however, when a massive rescue mission was fully launched searchers came across Gillis’ driver ID card together with one of his sneakers in that exact same spot.

It’s not known therefore who it really was that last saw Colin Gillis alive. Or what.

Gillis is described as a Caucasian male, approximately six-foot tall and 180 pounds, with light hair and blue eyes. He was a second-year pre-med student at the State University of New York at Brockport when he vanished.

Did a group of partygoers he’s alleged to have quarreled with before leaving on foot that day seek him out for revenge? Did the police successfully intercept him instead and, in the process, cause his death by applying excessive force while attempting to make an arrest? Did a pack of hungry wolves stalk the youth as he was obliviously walking the remote road in darkness and then drag his body into the woods to devour it?

Or did an infamous roaming serial killer, sensing capture was imminent, elude the Texan posse so to visit his New York hideout for one last time, and on the way seized upon a convenient kill?

I love that picture of Colin and Laura! It's easy to see in his smile that her statement about him, “I knew when I met him he was going to mean something,” is so very true. Thankfully, here at WS, he also means something.

Does anyone think that the flailing of Colin's arms might have been a signal for help asking for the editor to pull over, "flagging him down"? I have had to do just that when a tow truck was trying to locate me on the side of a busy highway.

I sure wish the editor would have stopped but I understand why he didn't. I'm sure he wishes he had stopped as well.:(

Kadence:
I sure wish the editor would have stopped but I understand why he didn't. I'm sure he wishes he had stopped as well.

Can you explain it to me then, why he didn't stop? Help me understand this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
verydemureverycute