NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I was so amazed that I posted my reply twice! I am working on getting answers to some of your questions. There will be some questions that I can't give answers to due to the fact that Colin's case is ongoing, I know you understand that.

Once again, thank you!!!!

So IF Colin was waiting to be picked up, did he start walking in the "wrong" direction because that was the direction his ride was coming from? That would make sense to me- if he wanted to get away from the party why stand around in the snow when he could start walking and meet up with the driver somewhere?

Me too. That's a pretty good explanation. I'm wondering why he needed to walk for transportation home in the first place. Please excuse if this has already been addressed.

Any cell phone records available? Better yet, do we know if LE has cell info?

Me too. That's a pretty good explanation. I'm wondering why he needed to walk for transportation home in the first place. Please excuse if this has already been addressed.

Maybe since he rode to the party with a friend (this is really JMO) when things started to get out of hand (with fights), Colin decided he didn't want to stick around and the person he rode in with 1) wasn't ready/willing to leave when Colin wanted to, 2) had already left, or 3) was not sober enough to drive (I mean no disrespect to his friend but it's been made known that there was drinking going on at the party).

I suppose it's also possible that Colin and his friend had been fighting, were mad at each other and the friend said 'forget it, I'm not giving you a ride' and Colin said 'fine, I don't need one, I'll just walk' ...

All of your suggestions seem plausible. I wish I knew the actual circumstances. I can't figure out if Colin's bad luck is related to the party or the walk away from the party.

I'm sorry to have gone absent for a few days... just distracted by a new missing person. My goal for this week is to communicate with WCAX channel 3 TV news out of Burlington & The Burlington Free Press (Vermont newspaper) to ask about upcoming stories. They had excellent coverage at the 1 year mark so I'm hoping it's already in the works.

Kadence - I just want you to know that if there are any formal searches planned in the Spring to please let me know. I am about 2 hours from there and I would be more than happy to drive out and help.

Maybe Kadence can clarify it for us.

An examination of the area Colins was last seen on Google Earth, specifically NORTH of Rte 3 ("Mt Matumbla" area) reveals a VAST area that one with a basic knowledge of the region (partying, hunting, snowmobiling, hiking) could easily hide a body, especially under cover of darkness. Unfortunately, it's a VAST area to search... However, if the road was GATED, probably nothing is there. Still?

This area was searched very thoroughly after Colin went missing. Caretakers of all the backwoods properties turned over their gate keys and a Level 4 search for Colin took place encompassing hundreds of acres. Dogs were also used in the search for Colin. The NYS SORT team also came in and provided assistance:

http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Specialized_Services/Special_Operations_Response_Team/

All previously searched areas were also searched again last Spring using cadaver dogs. To no avail.

Did Colin have a pre-arranged ride home? If yes, was it with the same person who drove him to the party?

No known pre-arranged ride home, Colin was to get a ride home with one of the DDs at the party or from any one of the parents of the kids who were at the party including Mr. and Mrs. Gillis.

Also, news reports indicated 'at least 3 motorists' saw Colin walking:
1) local teenager w/his cousin - offered him a ride - around 1:30 ... (he also supposedly stopped again after dropping his cousin off to offer Colin another ride)
2) ? was this the one who 'almost hit him' ?
3) newspaper editor & his mom around 1:45

So that is potentially 5 people who saw him after he left the party - was he wearing his coat? I remember 1 news report quoting someone saying he was wearing it black side out (reversible black & red coat). Just seems odd that the newspaper editor insists he wasn't wearing a coat but the coat never turned up anywhere!

(P.S. See Tarabull's post #232 on page 10 for link to WCAX news article
with reference to 3 motorists, one almost hitting Colin)

The #2 person is a Mom and son, Mom was driving. They both saw someone but neither could confirm it was Colin. That makes two Mother/Son duos on the road at that time of morning! I don't know if they were the ones who said they almost hit Colin. I will ask about that. it's my understanding that it was a full moon that night/morning and the road that Colin was last seen on is very straight, hmm, do we know the speed limit on Route 3?

Since his coat and backpack have never been located, I would think they would be with Colin but we don't know. I'm interested in the speed limit to see how much you could see about a person you were driving past.

I'm going to ask if the other drivers noticed whether Colin was wearing his coat/backpack. Austin Toohey saw Colin from the front and the back so he should be able to confirm the backpack?

No known pre-arranged ride home, Colin was to get a ride home with one of the DDs at the party or from any one of the parents of the kids who were at the party including Mr. and Mrs. Gillis.

Thanks for the updates. I can't imagine that we can possibly think of anything the the family hasn't already thought of/agonized over!

... so no prearranged ride & Colin knew his parents would be willing to come get him if need be ... why, oh why, did he just head out on foot? Did anyone at the party try to persuade him not to go? Did anyone even notice he left? Had he actually made plans to meet up with someone for an 'after party' thing? (I don't need these questions answered, just thinking out loud)

Hope everyone on Team Colin is doing well!

I'm sorry to have gone absent for a few days... just distracted by a new missing person. My goal for this week is to communicate with WCAX channel 3 TV news out of Burlington & The Burlington Free Press (Vermont newspaper) to ask about upcoming stories. They had excellent coverage at the 1 year mark so I'm hoping it's already in the works.

Perfect and thank you!! I'm contacting Jessica Collier with the Adirondack Daily Enterprise and Kim Smith Dedam of the Press-Republican and probably more!

Kadence - I just want you to know that if there are any formal searches planned in the Spring to please let me know. I am about 2 hours from there and I would be more than happy to drive out and help.

That is so awesome, thank you!!

I am hoping that there will be more searches, we have to find Colin.

Thanks to everyone again!

P.S. Is anyone here good at making maps with distances between locations, etc, some of us are very visual and it would be nice to see a visual depiction of Colin's evening/morning. TIA!

Although I'm on Twitter, I'm not an active tweeter, is anyone here an active tweeter and if so, would you be interested in creating a Bring Colin Gillis Home or Help Find Colin Gillis or something like that, Twitter page? The more social media, the better! If no one here can do it, I can do it, maybe that will get me on Twitter more lol!

P.S. Is anyone here good at making maps with distances between locations, etc, some of us are very visual and it would be nice to see a visual depiction of Colin's evening/morning. TIA!

I volunteer my husband, ForesterJake. He's a map lover! I'll get him to post one later today unless someone else wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89