NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin Gillis reward poster.jpg

Bring Colin Gillis Home – Facebook

The two-year anniversary of the disappearance of Colin Gillis is approaching … here is a quick summary:

*** We have a freshly VERIFIED INSIDER = Kadence ***(Thank you for all your efforts here - and a BIG Thank You to the family for being willing to share info with Websleuths!)

18-year old Colin Gillis
... student at Brockport State College – home on spring break
... disappeared after leaving a party on foot

The Tupper Lake teenager went missing in the early hours of March 11, 2012 after being involved in an altercation while attending an alcohol-related party on Paskungameh Road. http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Police-Still-Following-Leads-In-Missing-Teen-Case-196986141.html

... 1:30am = last cell phone use (we do NOT have specific info on his last communication)

... 1:45am = last seen walking west along Route 3 between Tupper Lake and Piercefield (the opposite direction of his home)

... a passing motorist was concerned about his odd behavior and inadequate clothing (nighttime temps were in the teens) and drove to the Tupper Lake PD … state police were notified and went to check (reports vary from arriving minutes later to shortly thereafter) … but apparently there was no sign of anyone

... wearing a white T-shirt w/black stripes, blue jeans, red sneakers and he MAY have been wearing a red and black down jacket, possibly with an orange backpack (last eyewitness to have seen him at 1:45am insists he was not wearing a coat or carrying a backpack) (**can these details be verified Kadence?)

... Colin's ID was found on the road with another undisclosed personal item (NOT his shoe! Glad that was finally confirmed!)

Search continues for Colin Gillis – WCAX 3/10/2013

It's a mystery that still haunts the Adirondack community of Tupper Lake, New York. What happened to 18 year old Colin Gillis.

"Everybody around here is still wondering where this boy is -- just disappeared right away without a trace," said Renee Chesbrough, a local resident.

Colin Gillis was last seen walking along Route 3 near the Franklin County, St. Lawrence County line. It was just before 2 a.m. Colin had just left a friends house. Someone driving along Route 3 saw Gillis and was concerned that he was walking alone so late at night. They went to the police station in town. Officers arrived on scene a few minutes later and Colin Gillis was no where to be found.

"Far and away probably the biggest search this area has ever seen," said New York State Police Capt. John Tibbits.

The pre-med student's disappearance prompted what police say was the largest search ever in the area. Hundreds of law enforcement officers and hundreds of volunteers have searched 2,000 acres of dense woods and miles of the Raquette River and both Raquette Pond and Piercefield Flow. Family members were hopeful he'd be found soon.

But a year later, just a few small personal items have been found, including his ID card -- located in the road the day after his disappearance.

"We never anticipated it going on for this long," Capt. Tibbits said.

"We just can't thank everyone enough that has so generously donated time, money and resources -- It's been wonderful. It was almost overwhelming at first, we didn't realize how wonderful it is to live in a community like this and the greater area," said Rob Gillis, Colin's uncle.

Capt. Tibbits said they do not believe Gillis is in the area. "I feel reasonably confident -- could we have missed Colin some place in the woods? It's a possibility. I don't think it's likely," he said, adding that the area has been gone over with "a fine tooth comb."

Reporter Matt Henson: Where do you think he is then?

Capt. John Tibbits: That's the million dollar question.

As the family and community wonder what happened to Gillis, investigators said they are stumped as well. But they are far from giving up. Several investigators still work the case daily. Tips still come in regularly and troopers and forest rangers still search on foot, by air and in the water.

Matt Henson: Do you suspect foul play at this point?

Capt. John Tibbits: We haven't taken anything off the table at this point. The missing persons investigation goes in conjunction with a possible investigation into some sort of foul play -- those are parallel investigations. Whereas the ground search as the missing persons case has tailed off, that criminal investigation -- that maybe something bad did happen -- continues.

The Gillis family said it remains positive that they will one day find the piece of the puzzle that will help explain what happened to the 18-year-old. "You have to have closure at some point in time. That would be a wonderful benefit for the family and community at large," Rob Gillis said.

Serial killer Israel Keyes owned property in northern Franklin County and robbed a bank in Tupper Lake in 2009. But authorities say that based on a travel log compiled by the FBI, it appears Keyes was not in the area around the time Colin Gillis went missing.

The reward being offered by the Gillis family for information leading to a closure in the case has been increased from $10,000 to $25,000.

I'm not in NY but you know I am definitely interested in helping! Colin's case is solvable. I do believe that. I think it's helpful to have some NY folks/people in the nearby area to help us know more about the location he was last seen, the area the party was, etc. There are just some things that we can't know unless we are local.

Anyway. Count me in!

Like Nugget, I'm not in/near NY, but I will do what I can to help! :)

I'm a big fan of the new TV show Cold Justice ... I'm developing new respect and appreciation for the hard work that LE puts into investigations. I'm also learning that sometimes time needs to pass - time for people to mature, develop a conscience, to give detectives a chance to re-interview people, compare new and old statements, look for inconsistencies or perhaps that one tiny new detail that helps point them in the right direction. So much goes on that we the general public have no clue about ... when LE says they're following up all leads, that something is still an active or ongoing investigation, we have to trust that they really are and they know what they're doing!

BBM

I agree, SunsetGirl, and I love that new show as well!

Kelly, Yolanda, and their team are amazing! :great:

Prosecutor Kelly Siegler Has New Show - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'm a big fan of the new TV show Cold Justice ... I'm developing new respect and appreciation for the hard work that LE puts into investigations. I'm also learning that sometimes time needs to pass - time for people to mature, develop a conscience, to give detectives a chance to re-interview people, compare new and old statements, look for inconsistencies or perhaps that one tiny new detail that helps point them in the right direction. So much goes on that we the general public have no clue about ... when LE says they're following up all leads, that something is still an active or ongoing investigation, we have to trust that they really are and they know what they're doing!

Thanks for the show suggestion SunsetGirl! I had never heard of this show, but added it to my DVR and to my surprise they are doing an episode on the Charles & Kathy Hayes Hammer murder in La Porte TX, which is a thread I've been recently following!

TX TX - Charles and Kathy Hayes, La Porte, 27 Sept 1997 Hammer Murders - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thanks for the recommendation!

I wish I had more to add to this thread, and hope that more details can be made public. Those that will help, that is. Who he was expecting to pick him up and did that person arrive to pick him up? Where were they supposed to meet? Was Colin injured in a fight?
And the cell phone.... what details were LE able to get from the cell phone records?

So glad to be reading all the posts and thoughts from everyone. Would love to hear that Colin is found before the anniversary date.

Many of you have asked the following questions and here are the answers!

1. How did Colin get to the party?

Colin rode to the party with a friend.

2. Was there a fight at the party?

There were several fights at the party, and Colin may have been involved in one of them.

3. Was Colin's jacket or backpack located?

Neither Colin's backpack or jacket have been located.

4. How far from the party location was Colin's ID located and what type of ID was it?

Colin's laminated driver's license was found approximately a football field's length away from where he was last seen by a motorist.

5. How far from the party location was Colin last seen?

He was last seen by a motorist approximately a little over a mile from the party location.

I will let WSers do the math on what time he left the party, if you wish. As this is an open investigation, please understand (and I know you do because you're awesome!) that I am unable to share everything, we would never want to jeopardize Colin's case in any way.

Tips/leads are coming in, please keep up the awesome work you are doing! The Gillis family is very appreciative, more than you know! Remember to get the info out about the upcoming anniversary of Colin's disappearance, the more we keep Colin in the public eye, the better chance we have of bringing him home!

Also, if you have a question, please post it here and I will see if I can get you an answer! Again, you are all VERY appreciated!!! Thank you!

You're doing good work, Kadence (and everyone else). So glad you're verified.

Did Colin have a pre-arranged ride home? If yes, was it with the same person who drove him to the party?

How am I supposed to sleep now? Kadence - thank you, thank you, thank you! How helpful to feel like we have some real facts finally. I had the same question as Ontheclock.

Also, someone reported that they witnessed Colin walking away from the party. Colin indicated that someone was picking him up. Does anyone know who this person is (who was picking him up) and if it would be the same person Colin expected (at the beginning of the evening) to give him a ride (if there was an expectation)?

I hope everyone can decipher my post.

Also, news reports indicated 'at least 3 motorists' saw Colin walking:
1) local teenager w/his cousin - offered him a ride - around 1:30 ... (he also supposedly stopped again after dropping his cousin off to offer Colin another ride)
2) ? was this the one who 'almost hit him' ?
3) newspaper editor & his mom around 1:45

So that is potentially 5 people who saw him after he left the party - was he wearing his coat? I remember 1 news report quoting someone saying he was wearing it black side out (reversible black & red coat). Just seems odd that the newspaper editor insists he wasn't wearing a coat but the coat never turned up anywhere!

(P.S. See Tarabull's post #232 on page 10 for link to WCAX news article with reference to 3 motorists, one almost hitting Colin)

Also, news reports indicated 'at least 3 motorists' saw Colin walking:
1) local teenager w/his cousin - offered him a ride - around 1:30 ... (he also supposedly stopped again after dropping his cousin off to offer Colin another ride)
2) ? was this the one who 'almost hit him' ?
3) newspaper editor & his mom around 1:45

So that is potentially 5 people who saw him after he left the party - was he wearing his coat? I remember 1 news report quoting someone saying he was wearing it black side out (reversible black & red coat). Just seems odd that the newspaper editor insists he wasn't wearing a coat but the coat never turned up anywhere!

Person 1) is who I was thinking about in my post above. He encountered Colin 2x?? And Colin declined a ride? Both times? Because he had a ride? I'd like to clear this part up.

For whatever reason, I thought person 2) and person 3) were the same.

Hi Ontheclock... I'm using my phone so it's hard to put links/quotes but please check the news article links in posts 232, 237 and 241. Hard to know how reliable these are since some of these were earlier news reports but that's where I got my info. I listened to the newspaper editor be interviewed & read his quotes - I don't think he said he almost hit Colin, just that he was walking in the road & behaving erratically I think are his words. I believe I read somewhere that this other motorist came forward later w/info. Perhaps Kadence can confirm this. Not sure how much it helps but it does seem that a detail like did he have a coat on would be obvious to all witnesses.

Also, someone reported that they witnessed Colin walking away from the party. Colin indicated that someone was picking him up. Does anyone know who this person is (who was picking him up) and if it would be the same person Colin expected (at the beginning of the evening) to give him a ride (if there was an expectation)?

I hope everyone can decipher my post.

This is the same question I wondered and asked about before a few times. Perhaps it was answered and I didn't see it.

Didn't he call his parents or speak to one of them about a ride??

If so what time was that call made?

So IF Colin was waiting to be picked up, did he start walking in the "wrong" direction because that was the direction his ride was coming from? That would make sense to me- if he wanted to get away from the party why stand around in the snow when he could start walking and meet up with the driver somewhere?

So IF Colin was waiting to be picked up, did he start walking in the "wrong" direction because that was the direction his ride was coming from? That would make sense to me- if he wanted to get away from the party why stand around in the snow when he could start walking and meet up with the driver somewhere?

Maybe Kadence can clarify it for us.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...-who-may-be-armed-and-dangerous.html?nav=5008

Not saying this is related, but it is quite a strange coincidence that there are two major stories coming out of such a small town. Hopefully they are not connected because armed and dangerous does not sound good.

Remember THAT strange coincidence? There have been a couple of updates...[note: also seems one guy's name has changed...typo?? that's my guess otherwise there were 4 people involved]

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/530031.html

snipped...Police said Roberts initially told them she was in an auto accident but later said that wasn't true.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.co...-involved-in-Tupper-missing-persons-case.html

snipped...Whatever it was made them act irrationally, and one of the side affects was extreme paranoia, Davison said.

...State police also arrested a man they interviewed early in the investigation...

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.co...issing-arrested-on-drug-charges.html?nav=5008

...on state Route 30 with a large fracture in the driver's side of the windshield, so the vehicle was pulled over, state police told the Enterprise.

...Police said they were acting paranoid and irrational when they were taken into custody, but samples sent to be tested in Albany have not yet been returned with results.

:what:

So sad...So many questions...Sometimes I still wonder about the above characters.

Y'all are amazing! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes because you care so much about Colin! I will be back ASAP with answers to your questions. LOTS of great questions and sharing of info!

Tarabull, many thanks, as always, I'm going to look into these again and, Team Colin, please feel free to do the same, the more eyes the better!

Again, I couldn't be more proud to be associated with such a great group of caring individuals!

Y'all are amazing! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes because you care so much about Colin! I will be back ASAP with answers to your questions. LOTS of great questions and sharing of info!

Tarabull, many thanks, as always, I'm going to look into these again and, Team Colin, please feel free to do the same, the more eyes the better!

Again, I couldn't be more proud to be associated with such a great group of caring individuals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
verydemureverycute