NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Team Colin. I'm still here ... I try to check this thread daily and I have been pondering the latest answers provided by Kadence.

I'm definitely very curious about (1) Colin staying at the party after his close friends all left (would this be typical for him?) and (2) not having made any specific arrangements for a ride home (that anyone is owning up to anyway) ... especially since he supposedly told the one guy who stopped to offer him a ride twice that he was waiting for his ride.

(Edited to add this paragraph) I'm just tossing out a random possibility (I mean no disrespect to Colin or the relationship he was in at the time) ... could Colin have been flirting, etc. with a girl at the party and made plans to go elsewhere with her after? That could've contributed to fighting. A part of me also keeps going back to his missing backpack - it almost suggests he actually did get a ride with someone. Or if it was left in one of his friends' cars, why on earth would they conceal that? Did it hold anything of value that someone would steal it? It just strikes me as odd that it never turned up. Besides the super-odd fact that an ENTIRE person went missing.

I also wonder about the footprints that went over the guardrail ... how certain are they that they actually even belonged to Colin?

Finally, where his 2 personal effects were found along the road, was there anything at all that might suggest a struggle? Or is it just as likely he inadvertently dropped those items without realizing it?

I also wonder about the footprints that went over the guardrail ... how certain are they that they actually even belonged to Colin?

Finally, where his 2 personal effects were found along the road, was there anything at all that might suggest a struggle? Or is it just as likely he inadvertently dropped those items without realizing it?

I always wondered the same thing. I really do feel however that this case will remain cold until SOMEONE someday, grows a conscience but I believe it will not be the actual killer (or killers) rather someone who knew and still knows. A 3rd party type of confession. Rare but they happen.

:bump:

Bumping for Colin

Hoping his family can get some answers soon.

Sorry all, I have been out of town with a death in my family :( I will get back in gear and promise answers ASAP!. Thanks for hanging in there and supporting the efforts to bring Colin home. Someone knows something, I hope they reach a point that they can't stand themselves anymore and speak up.

Sorry all, I have been out of town with a death in my family :( I will get back in gear and promise answers ASAP!. Thanks for hanging in there and supporting the efforts to bring Colin home. Someone knows something, I hope they reach a point that they can't stand themselves anymore and speak up.

I'm sorry for your loss Kadence and for the Gillis family's too...

May the truth be out there and may it set someone free...I know it is and it will...

Inevitability...TIME has a way of working things out.

Bumping for Colin. I feel guilty about posting so infrequently on his thread.

Bumping for Colin. I feel guilty about posting so infrequently on his thread.
I feel the same. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been checking here regularly either. I continue to ponder the possibilities but have had no new thoughts lately.

Hi Team Colin. I'm still here ... I try to check this thread daily and I have been pondering the latest answers provided by Kadence.

I'm definitely very curious about (1) Colin staying at the party after his close friends all left (would this be typical for him?) and (2) not having made any specific arrangements for a ride home (that anyone is owning up to anyway) ... especially since he supposedly told the one guy who stopped to offer him a ride twice that he was waiting for his ride.

(Edited to add this paragraph) I'm just tossing out a random possibility (I mean no disrespect to Colin or the relationship he was in at the time) ... could Colin have been flirting, etc. with a girl at the party and made plans to go elsewhere with her after? That could've contributed to fighting. A part of me also keeps going back to his missing backpack - it almost suggests he actually did get a ride with someone. Or if it was left in one of his friends' cars, why on earth would they conceal that? Did it hold anything of value that someone would steal it? It just strikes me as odd that it never turned up. Besides the super-odd fact that an ENTIRE person went missing.

I was actually thinking along the same lines...why stay at a party when your friends have left? A girl you're interested in seems like a good reason. Or maybe he was just having a good time.

I was actually thinking along the same lines...why stay at a party when your friends have left? A girl you're interested in seems like a good reason. Or maybe he was just having a good time.

I'm a very stick with my friends type of person, but back in college, there were a couple of times I admit I was probably unsafe and stayed at a party after my friends left...usually there was a guy I liked there, or I was drunk enough that I wanted to keep partying and dancing. Good idea? Absolutely not. But there is usually some motivating factor to stay.

Team Colin - please accept my apologies for being gone so long, lots going on, I wish I could tell you that I won the lottery or, even far better, that Colin was home, but I can't. I appreciate that so many of you are still here. I'm hopefully "back in the saddle" and ready to ride! XO

As usual I'm still mulling things over ... for someone I never met, I sure spend a lot of time thinking about Colin! My eyes get opened further and further to possibilities as I read other cases here & learn the outcomes (some are so far from what I would've imagined, others pretty predictable). Has any single possibility been ruled out with Colin?

Intentional disappearance
Kidnapping
Suicide
Accidental death (i.e. hypothermia, drowning ... body yet to be found)
Accidental death (i.e. drug OD, hit by car) but covered up by someone
Homicide

(I don't believe in alien abductions ... what other possibilities am I missing?)

Kidnapping seems the least likely in my opinion, followed by intentional disappearance then suicide (surely a body would've been found by now, right?).

So continuing from my previous post ...

That leaves 3 possible scenarios (in my mind) ...

Homicide

Something I keep wondering about is drug use either by Colin or those at the party or a potential person(s) he was maybe picked up by ... and what that might have lead to.

It's scary to learn what crazy behavior some have experienced while hallucinating from drugs ... as in REALLY crazy & scary! I had followed the Harper Floyd (baby) & Brian Floyd (dad) thread here - extremely upsetting, both found deceased, drugs & hallucinations a factor ... plus a recent big thing in our local news was about a man & his girlfriend thinking a bear was attacking them, they (or he?) burned down the cabin they were in, fled into the woods & he convinced her to jump (or maybe he pushed her) off a cliff ... turns out they were both high, she's severely injured, he's now facing attempted murder. Obviously he was in no condition to successfully hide a body if she had died ... he would've needed help. Just makes me wonder.

P.S. I would love to hear what the rest of Team Colin thinks about my list of possible scenarios & what seems most/least likely in your opinions.

So continuing from my previous post ...

That leaves 3 possible scenarios (in my mind) ...

Homicide

Something I keep wondering about is drug use either by Colin or those at the party or a potential person(s) he was maybe picked up by ... and what that might have lead to.

It's scary to learn what crazy behavior some have experienced while hallucinating from drugs ... as in REALLY crazy & scary! I had followed the Harper Floyd (baby) & Brian Floyd (dad) thread here - extremely upsetting, both found deceased, drugs & hallucinations a factor ... plus a recent big thing in our local news was about a man & his girlfriend thinking a bear was attacking them, they (or he?) burned down the cabin they were in, fled into the woods & he convinced her to jump (or maybe he pushed her) off a cliff ... turns out they were both high, she's severely injured, he's now facing attempted murder. Obviously he was in no condition to successfully hide a body if she had died ... he would've needed help. Just makes me wonder.

Hi SG! I'm leaning toward your number 2 above. Very extensive searches have been conducted so I feel that if Colin had accidentally drowned or passed from hypothermia, he would have been located by now. The only reason, in my mind, that he hasn't been located, and I hope upon hope, I'm wrong, is that someone hit him and panicked (either because they were DUI or they were "playing") and has placed him somewhere out of the local area. The drug OD could be a possibility in my mind only if Colin was given something he wasn't aware of taking - don't know that for sure of course, just basing my thoughts on his character but I could see party-goers passing stuff around saying "Try this, go ahead, you'll love it!" Been there...

The Floyd case breaks my heart, little Harper was a victim of drug-addled parents, so unfair. The entire story is something you would read about in a book or see in a movie - fiction! Stuff like that is NOT supposed to happen in real life. I haven't read about the bear story, I don't know if I want to :( I agree - REALLY crazy & scary stuff going on in today's world - what happened to the way things once were?! :(

Am asking Patty the questions above and hopefully, from her answers, we will have a few new "jumping-off points". I want to thank you all again for supporting Team Colin! It means so much to the Gillis family!

Hi SG! I'm leaning toward your number 2 above. Very extensive searches have been conducted so I feel that if Colin had accidentally drowned or passed from hypothermia, he would have been located by now. The only reason, in my mind, that he hasn't been located, and I hope upon hope, I'm wrong, is that someone hit him and panicked (either because they were DUI or they were "playing") and has placed him somewhere out of the local area. The drug OD could be a possibility in my mind only if Colin was given something he wasn't aware of taking - don't know that for sure of course, just basing my thoughts on his character but I could see party-goers passing stuff around saying "Try this, go ahead, you'll love it!" Been there ...

(snipped for space)

Can I please just say that my bringing up the idea of a drug overdose or possible drug-induced hallucinations being a factor in whatever happened to Colin was not meant to imply that Colin used drugs ... I re-read my posts and am starting to worry I may be giving the wrong impression. For causes of 'accidental' or I should more accurately say 'unintentional' death, being hit by a car or even simply falling/hitting one's head after being pushed in a fight are just as likely (or unlikely) as OD'ing. I never should have suggested that ... that's not what I think of Colin at all. I'm truly sorry if it seems I'm hinting at character flaws in my many 'scenarios' and 'theories' ... I don't intend to - just trying to piece the tidbits of info we have together to make some sense and no matter how I piece them they just don't fit!

Thank you Kadence for keeping the wheels rolling here!

I have a really stupid question and please forgive me - Does anyone check the persons following these posts? My opinion is that a person involved in the original report is responsible and I'm just wondering if that person would be able to join websleuths and monitor your suggestions? My opinion is based upon gut feeling only - so I have no proof and I keep reading these posts to see if anyone else agrees - I am just curious. Thanks

I am trying to figure out what time the news editor who saw a man walking in the cold actually reported the sighting to the police. The articles say he reported seeing him at 1:45 AM. This could mean:

A. He saw the man without a coat walking on the road at 1:45 AM, drove straight to the police station and reported it. Later made the connection to the Mom's Sunday evening report of her missing son.

B. He saw the man at 1:45 AM, then he realized it might have been the missing young man after seeing police reports later that evening, so he went to the station and told police about seeing a guy walking in the area without a coat.

Anyone know which scenerio is correct?

I hate to sound suspicious of the witness, but it would be good to know if anyone can verify his whereabouts after 1:45 AM Sunday just to rule out any possible involvement, since he is the last known person to see the missing young man.

Searcher thanks for joining and posting ;)

I bumped the post above by TGIR to clarify --- u mean THAT guy right?!

The (now former) news editor?

I have a really stupid question and please forgive me - Does anyone check the persons following these posts? My opinion is that a person involved in the original report is responsible and I'm just wondering if that person would be able to join websleuths and monitor your suggestions? My opinion is based upon gut feeling only - so I have no proof and I keep reading these posts to see if anyone else agrees - I am just curious. Thanks

Hi Searcher8621. Actually it's an excellent question. Interesting gut feelings. Anyone can read these threads without being a registered member & actively participating. It seems it would be difficult (maybe even impossible) to identify each visitor viewing a thread.

Would a guilty person follow the thread of 'their' crime? That seems very likely.

Could that person become a member & be among us posting? It seems VERY possible that the person involved in/responsible for the disappearance of another could join Websleuths and monitor/participate in the thread.

Does anyone check the identity of Websleuth posters? Here's a very interesting quote from The Rules - Etiquette & Information:

Law Enforcement:

Members of Law Enforcement regularly read at WS. Generally they contact WS Admins when they register, but there is no requirement that they do so. Unless they ask us to, we do not publicly identify them, but all posters should be aware that public comments about illegal activity could bring them attention they may not want. WS receives subpoenas on a regular basis from various agencies. WS will comply with all valid subpoenas received.

I know I take note of who is posting, when they joined WS & what threads they participate in ... I've often wondered if the guilty party is here with us (but not specifically on Colin's thread).

Thank you for voicing your thoughts & opinions! I suggest you privately message our Verified Insider (Kadence) with your specific concerns (& they can be passed on to the appropriate people) since publicly posting certain 'suspicions' may violate the Terms of Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trina2025