NY NY - Craig Frear, 17, Scotia, 27 June 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Speaking to the riders was Matt Frear, whose brother, Craig, went missing in June of 2004 after leaving their apartment in Scotia, N.Y. His brother was to enter his senior year of high school that fall.

“We never heard from him again,” Frear said, adding that in the years since then police have run down leads, but nothing solid has ever materialized.

“It’s an impossible situation,” Frear said, noting that over the years, chatter in the case dies down, police officers who originally work cases like his brother’s either retire or move on. Missing person posters are removed from bulletin boards or are covered by other posters.

“Time is against us,” Frear continued, emphasizing that getting information out as early as possible in a missing person case is crucial.

Ride for Missing Children takes off: http://www.oneidadispatch.com/general-news/20150515/ride-for-missing-children-takes-off

"Family of Craig Frear, missing Scotia man, needs our help"

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sports/article/Pete-Iorizzo-Family-of-Craig-Frear-missing-6564298.php

The unimaginable reality is it now has been 11 years since Craig last was seen leaving his girlfriend's Glenville apartment and walking into the woods.

And after hundreds of searches, interviews and dead-end leads, there remains no trace of the former Scotia High soccer player with red hair, dimples and an easy smile.

If Craig is still alive, he turns 29 years old Wednesday. His mother has spent each of his past 10 birthdays waiting by the phone, hoping the occasion triggers new information, or even a call from her son.

"Please," Craig's mother says, "if you know of anything, or know of anybody who has information that can help, please come forward. Even the slightest thing might be helpful. If you have land, go out there and take a perimeter walk. If you know someone who might know something, let us know. If you have any thoughts or ideas or suggestions, just call."

ETA: Unfortunately, you might need a subscription to read the whole article. The first time I clicked on it I was able to read the whole thing though.

My cousin in Scotia, NY wanted a fresh alert put out for Craig.
To his family, I send my prayers and hopes that someday you will have answers.

Please contact the NYS police at 518-630-1700 with any information at all.

Bump. I've seen his case many times before, but today when I looked at the first picture I said out loud: Holy crap, I know him!

Then I just went, oh no I don't, he just looks like Christian Grey.
Sigh, I thought I'd made a match to an unidentified there for a minute

This is so close to me! Is there a condensed version of this case or should I read the entire thread to find out details?

Thanks for bumping up this thread. I've heard about his case one time, but had completely forgotten about it. We were just in Scotia on June 16th and plan to go back on the 22nd of this month.

Bumping I pray they find Craiq. I live here and there just seems we could do so much more it's very sad 😔

I like the Charley Project very much, however it is unfortunate that they occasionally leaves out details of a case. For example in the case of mr. Frear, it is not mentioned that just before he walked into the wooded area, he turned around facing the two witnesses who would later desribe their observation of him, and held up a finger in front of his mouth, forming a playful "hush", before he then disappeared into the wood.

I think this detail is a bit peculiar. It of course does not need to have been anything strange behind it at all, but I nevertheless do wonder if it somehow could have been of relevance to his disappearance. In any case it do deserve to be mentioned.

Sad story, seems like a nice guy. It sounds like someone set him up (think last known contact). I thought this gave a good impression of Craig and his mom....[video=youtube;vIfWikgfzF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIfWikgfzF8[/video]

His birthday is Oct 14, 1986 which means he'd turn 30 y/o in a few days....What a handsome young man, there's just something about him. He has this mature look, doesn't seem like a typical teenager to me.

Thanks for mentioning the following detail (quoting you), Picachu- "that just before he walked into the wooded area, he turned around facing the two witnesses who would later desribe their observation of him, and held up a finger in front of his mouth, forming a playful "hush", before he then disappeared into the wood." I remember reading about it a while ago and it gave me the chills...

http://m.timesunion.com/sports/arti...ing-Scotia-man-9973831.php?cmpid=fbsocialflow
Craig's mother last spoke to him a few hours before he disappeared. She had gone to Price Chopper to visit him at work, only to discover he'd stopped showing up a few weeks earlier, without an explanation. She called him and asked him to come home. Craig said he'd be there in 10 minutes.

Later that afternoon, Craig's father discovered his car outside his friend's apartment, but didn't find Craig. Two children later told police they saw Craig walk into the woods, where he could have taken a footpath back to his family's Yorkshire Court home.

Police have believed Craig never got far from the apartment complex the day he disappeared. His family and friends had no reason to believe he'd take his own life or run away, though police haven't been able to rule out anything, adding to the family's anguish.

Craig was last seen walking into the woods near the Cambridge Manor Apartments in Scotia. He was wearing blue jeans, a short sleeve white t-shirt, white Adidas sneakers with three black stripes and a gold chain with a St. Christopher medal. Craig has dimples and may have a goatee. The circumstances of his disappearance are unknown.

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/missing/#/missing-child/31

Not sure if you still monitor this page. If you do please message me regarding your feed.

Just coming across this again. This month holds the Eighth year anniversary. Im hoping this thread can be revived for the month in honor of him.
few things that bug me/ seem to be jumbled.

- Contradicting info:
First: Footprints at rivers edge (and i swear ive read it elsewhere, just not seeing it now) "Frear visited the ex-girlfriend at the Cambridge Manor apartment complex"
However CBS (which i trust more) says "had broken up with a girlfriend, he had been visiting a new girlfriend that day." To me this changes the story quite a bit. (and makes me wonder if "cousin" on footprintsis even legit...a new girlfriend would seem to have less ill motive)
(both seem to agree on physical location...just not who's residence it was, and thats where he was when his parents called.)

-He had a new girlfriend, but was still upset about the loss of his old one (ok, i can see new girlfriend getting agitated now)

- another Comment on footprints bothers me mike said...
craig was about to get into his car when he was waived down by a tall dark headed guy named steve or steven and taken into the woods, once there he was killed and disposed of he is either buried near the water tower or was weighted down in the body of water near the tower " Normally I would write this off as some troll, but then i was reading his facebook group page and a michael said "craig was seeing a girl who already had a boyfriend whose name was steve or steven tall dark haired college kid he knows what happened someone needs to find him or chat with the girl" april 17th (sidenote, his cousin who seems active in this, comments "Could she have been in on it? But why?" making me further think the "cousin" on footprints is a phoney, since FB comment was 3 years later)

(sources:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20072616-504083.html, http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Seven-years-still-no-answers-1751820.php, http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2009/03/072704-craig-frear-17-scotia-ny.html &http://www.facebook.com/groups/19798003152/)

still missing: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/erry-2018/05/4f21d550a87610/missing_children_teens_may_201.html

820_craig.jpeg

Craig A. Frear (Scotia)

Date Missing: 06/27/2004

DOB: 10/14/1986
Sex: Male
HGT: 5'11"
WGT: 190 lbs.
Hair: Red
Eyes: Brown
Race: White

Info: Craig was last seen walking into the woods near the Cambridge Manor Apartments in Scotia. He was wearing blue jeans, a short sleeve white t-shirt, white Adidas sneakers with three black stripes and a gold chain with a St. Christopher medal. Craig has dimples and may have a goatee. The circumstances of his disappearance are unknown.

Agency: NYSP Princetown

Whenever you ask locals about Craig Frear, the phrase, "he just vanished," tends to come up in some shape or form. His disappearance 15 years ago remains one of the greatest, and most painful, mysteries in this a tight-knit village of 7,700 people.

...SBM

"Any time you have a missing person case, until you find the person you can't say the circumstances of the disappearance," State Police Major Crimes Investigator Kevin Noto said this week. "This is one where we are keeping our options open."

...SBM

Noto asked anyone with information to call him directly at 518-783-3296.

"Until you have something to work off of, you really don't know what kind of case you're dealing with. In some ways, missing persons cases can be more difficult than a cold case homicide, because (with a homicide) you know what kind of case you are working," Noto said.

A group of Scotia and Glenville residents organized a candlelight vigil for Thursday evening, in the hopes that public attention jogs people's memories and coaxes someone forward with a useful tip.

..SBM

Police have conducted 68 different searches for Frear over the years, usually in early spring or late fall when there is the least amount of snow and brush on the ground.
Investigators have sent troopers and police dogs out on foot to search the route Frear would have taken home, places he was known to frequent and the woods behind Cambridge Manor. They've also used State Police divers and boats to examine local waterways.

Nothing of note has ever been found, Noto said.

Scotia marks 15 years since Craig Frear vanished

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back