Found Alive NY - CS, 9, last seen 6:15pm at Moreau Lake State Park, Gansevoort, 30 Sep 2023 *arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Where is the idea that there aren’t many kidnappings there? Christina White and Jennifer Hammond went missing from that same area.
True. Maybe those cases are solvable with more posters interested in their threads. LE have these cases on their radar. Maybe this terrible abduction will spark new interest to investigators.
*edit: grammar

Where is the idea that there aren’t many kidnappings there? Christina White and Jennifer Hammond went missing from that same area.
Sorry, I’m not familiar with their cases. Were they also kidnapped? Did it happen recently? Would local law enforcement be well versed with what to do in a kidnapping situation, if they already went through this with the other two cases? Would there be protocol for what to do if someone shows up at the missing child’s home and leaves something behind? I’m asking because I genuinely don’t know.

Does anyone here work in law enforcement? Is there a rule, a standard practice for what to do if you are guarding the home of a missing person? What do you do if someone approaches the home, or drops off a gift, card, letter? Does law enforcement have to read all the letters and cards? Are they expected not to touch them if they are in a sealed envelope?
I think it is easy for us to say I would have chased down the suspect or I would have not chased him and jeopardized the case. We all have our own instincts and react differently. I’m wondering if the experts who work in this field have a legal standard or a protocol of what they have to do. If they don’t maybe this case will suggest that it be furthered examined and considered if it’s ever needed in the future.

Whether the police acted correctly by not pursuing the suspect can be debated endlessly. I'm reminded of the awful case in the 1990s where two kidnapped girls starved to death in a basement because the perp went to jail for some unrelated charge. It is not inconceivable that pursuing the suspect could have led to a similar outcome, for example if he crashed his car and died or was arrested and refused to talk. And of course the opposite could have happened, and not pursuing him could have led to him vanishing into thin air and her not being found alive.

I think the outcome that DID happen is the most important one.

Whether the police acted correctly by not pursuing the suspect can be debated endlessly. I'm reminded of the awful case in the 1990s where two kidnapped girls starved to death in a basement because the perp went to jail for some unrelated charge. It is not inconceivable that pursuing the suspect could have led to a similar outcome, for example if he crashed his car and died or was arrested and refused to talk. And of course the opposite could have happened, and not pursuing him could have led to him vanishing into thin air and her not being found alive.

I think the outcome that DID happen is the most important one.
I totally agree with you. I’m just grateful that she was found alive.

His bill is still being drafted, but the security cameras would be able to identify the license plate, make and model of any vehicle entering or exiting the facilities, as well as record the image of any person walking into or out of the grounds.

"If security cameras were already in place last Saturday at Moreau Lake State Park, perhaps the kidnapper would have been identified and the girl found much sooner and not 48 hours after her disappearance," Tedisco said in a statement. "It’s thanks to the grace of God that the police were able to capitalize on the kidnapper’s mistake of leaving a fingerprint on the ransom note, and that his prints were on file from a DWI in the 1990s, that she was safely found."

They didn't even know there was a ransom note until after he had driven away. There were people driving past the house all night, so are they going to chase and arrest every car?

In my opinion, the big difference was when the perp stopped his car in front of the S house and got out and put a letter in their mailbox, as opposed to driving on down the street like the other . LEO should have realized then that it was something different and treated it accordingly. The S’s were very, very lucky this LEO error was mitigated by them finding a fingerprint that traced back to his identity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ m not from the area where this crime took place. I’m wondering how often do kidnappings take place here? How familiar would the local police force be with investigating a kidnapping? Would it be a reasonable expectation for the officer watching their house to know what to look for and to react according to certain protocol? Would they place an experienced officer at the site of CS’s home or a rookie who just started? Would this be an important posting or something assigned to an employee just in case someone shows up, maybe to prevent burglary or vandalism by those who know the house is empty?
It’s not common at all. Generally people tend to think of NY as a big city but this is upstate and it can go from smaller urban cities to farmland within a few miles out of town. And compared to some other states i have lived in this is the safest I feel. I am from here but have lived all over the states and compared to those states this area is as safe as safe tends to go nowadays, it’s a place I will go to a gas station in the middle of the night, alone and without a second thought.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with their cases. Were they also kidnapped? Did it happen recently? Would local law enforcement be well versed with what to do in a kidnapping situation, if they already went through this with the other two cases? Would there be protocol for what to do if someone shows up at the missing child’s home and leaves something behind? I’m asking because I genuinely don’t know.
They disappeared in 2003 and 2005 and yeah, technically they were kidnapped. The situation is different because they were not considered missing immediately. There was no big or immediate response and Imo they were swept under the rug, written off. Jennifer wasn’t even reported missing for a few months because she wasn’t from the area and Christina was missing for several days. There are some intriguing connections between the area and I hope their cases get another hard look right now. I want these girls to get justice so badly. Have you ever followed a case that has really grabbed you and you think of the victims every single day? Well Christina and Jennifer are the cases that grabbed me and they are likely connected to at least each other. I have thought about them every day for 15+ years. Whether this was involved or not hopefully fresh eyes can solve their murders.

Kidnapping suspect Craig Ross Jr. faces scrutiny in two unsolved murders​

Police: ‘At this time, we have no information to indicate that he was or was not involved’ in 2003, ’05 cases​

MILTON — The man charged with kidnapping a 9-year-old girl at Moreau Lake State Park last weekend will be scrutinized for any possible connections to the abduction and murder of two teenage women who vanished in 2003 and 2005 after last being seen near Saratoga County mobile home parks in the town of Milton, where 46-year-old Craig N. Ross Jr. and members of his family have resided for decades.

The skeletal remains of the victims, 18-year-old Jennifer “Moonbeam” Hammond and 19-year-old Christina N. White, were later found a few miles apart in a rugged region of the isolated Lake Desolation State Forest, roughly 10 miles north of where both young women were last seen on summer days in Milton.

“At this time, we have no information to indicate that he was or was not involved,” said Saratoga County Sheriff’s Investigator Matthew Robinson, who is the lead investigator on the women’s unsolved homicides. “I can tell you that one of the investigative steps that we will take with regards to the ongoing investigation around Mr. Ross will be any association he has with any major case in the area. And that is something that we are actively working on. But at this time, we have no information to indicate that he is involved in any of those (two) cases.”

Robinson, whose department is assisting State Police on the kidnapping investigation but said he is not authorized to comment on that matter, described the additional scrutiny of Ross as “a standard investigative step … (and) we will analyze any potential involvement as we continue to work on it.”

[…]

OCT 5, 2023
The preliminary hearing for alleged kidnapper Craig N. Ross Jr. received an adjournment and will be heard in Milton Town Court on Nov. 21 at 11:30 a.m. the Saratoga County District Attorney’s office said in a statement, Thursday afternoon. The preliminary hearing concerning probable cause had been scheduled for Friday, Oct. 6.

The attorney for the defendant, Thomas McDougall, asked for the adjournment. ...

[...]

The preliminary hearing would have allowed the judge to see the state’s evidence against Ross and determine if the DA has enough evidence for the felony charge, court officials said.

The release said no other comments will be made regarding the case.

Kidnapping suspect Craig Ross Jr. faces scrutiny in two unsolved murders​

Police: ‘At this time, we have no information to indicate that he was or was not involved’ in 2003, ’05 cases​

MILTON — The man charged with kidnapping a 9-year-old girl at Moreau Lake State Park last weekend will be scrutinized for any possible connections to the abduction and murder of two teenage women who vanished in 2003 and 2005 after last being seen near Saratoga County mobile home parks in the town of Milton, where 46-year-old Craig N. Ross Jr. and members of his family have resided for decades.

The skeletal remains of the victims, 18-year-old Jennifer “Moonbeam” Hammond and 19-year-old Christina N. White, were later found a few miles apart in a rugged region of the isolated Lake Desolation State Forest, roughly 10 miles north of where both young women were last seen on summer days in Milton.

“At this time, we have no information to indicate that he was or was not involved,” said Saratoga County Sheriff’s Investigator Matthew Robinson, who is the lead investigator on the women’s unsolved homicides. “I can tell you that one of the investigative steps that we will take with regards to the ongoing investigation around Mr. Ross will be any association he has with any major case in the area. And that is something that we are actively working on. But at this time, we have no information to indicate that he is involved in any of those (two) cases.”

Robinson, whose department is assisting State Police on the kidnapping investigation but said he is not authorized to comment on that matter, described the additional scrutiny of Ross as “a standard investigative step … (and) we will analyze any potential involvement as we continue to work on it.”

[…]

Oh wow! Is this article from today? I don’t get the TU but I am ecstatic that they are not being forgotten and it’s at the very least being looked at again. I’m not a typically emotional person but I am tearing up a bit.❤️

He would have been in his 20s? I wonder when he started having children. If he stopped and resumed, his kidnapping of CS doesn't seem to fit. He was looking for money. CS is alive. Curious.

jmo
LINK

As the S investigation continues to unfold, Ross is set to be scrutinized for possible connections to any other major cases in the vicinity — including the decades-old abduction and slayings of 18-year-old Jennifer Hammond and 19-year-old Christina White.

“At this time, we have no information to indicate that he was or was not involved,” Saratoga

“There’s no, like, hot lead that says he’s our guy or anything like that.”

But Robinson said the department was probing any “association [Ross] has with any major case in the area” as part of a “standard investigative step.”

“And that is something that we are actively working on,” Robinson added.

The Hammond and White cases, which authorities have long said are likely linked, have been under investigation ever since the two young woman vanished in 2003 and 2005, respectively, near mobile home parks in Milton — the same upstate town where Ross has lived for decades.

Robinson, whose department is also assisting state police on the S case, wouldn’t say if Ross was ever interviewed in connection to the Hammond or White cases.

Asked if Ross’ name ever came up in either investigation, Robinson said: “Not with any kind of significance.”

Hammond, who was working for a magazine sales company, was reported missing by her employer back on Nov. 2, 2003, after she was last seen being dropped off at the Creek and Pines Trailer Park to try to sell mags, cops said.
LINK

He would have been in his 20s? I wonder when he started having children. If he stopped and resumed, his kidnapping of CS doesn't seem to fit. He was looking for money. CS is alive. Curious.

jmo
LINK
It doesn’t seem to fit. He’s got some health issues which could possibly mean he had to switch it up and target a smaller and younger child. And there was a major and immediate response to CS’s abduction which didn’t happen for many reasons in CW or JH case. Because the response wasn’t really there we don’t know if the girls were held until the perp was done, i feel really gross writing that, but it is what it is. I’m just happy they aren’t being forgotten and now people know their names. All imo of course.

Suspected child snatcher Craig Ross kidnapped CS and held her for ransom in a sick bid to get hold of her late grandfather's fortune, an ex-girlfriend exclusively claimed to DailyMail.com.

Ross, 46, is accused of 'targeting' the nine-year-old girl after learning her grandfather, Patrick, had successfully sued the small town of Greenfield for $2.2million in 1998 over a sledding accident.

[...]

Patrick S, who died in 2015, had been sledding with CS’s father David, who was seven at the time, when they hit a bump and were sent flying. He suffered a broken pelvis and a spine fracture.

Amanda Preece, 33, a former partner of Ross, believes that the father-of-three held CS to ransom for $50,000 because of his financial struggles.

[...]

'CS’s grandfather sued the Town of Greenfield years ago, and people around Saratoga are aware of this,' Preece told DailyMail.com.

'He's never wanted to work. He's always wanted to find people to mooch off of whether it be girlfriends or making his mother feel bad because his MS is so bad.'

As the S investigation continues to unfold, Ross is set to be scrutinized for possible connections to any other major cases in the vicinity — including the decades-old abduction and slayings of 18-year-old Jennifer Hammond and 19-year-old Christina White.

“At this time, we have no information to indicate that he was or was not involved,” Saratoga

“There’s no, like, hot lead that says he’s our guy or anything like that.”

But Robinson said the department was probing any “association [Ross] has with any major case in the area” as part of a “standard investigative step.”

“And that is something that we are actively working on,” Robinson added.

The Hammond and White cases, which authorities have long said are likely linked, have been under investigation ever since the two young woman vanished in 2003 and 2005, respectively, near mobile home parks in Milton — the same upstate town where Ross has lived for decades.

Robinson, whose department is also assisting state police on the S case, wouldn’t say if Ross was ever interviewed in connection to the Hammond or White cases.

Asked if Ross’ name ever came up in either investigation, Robinson said: “Not with any kind of significance.”

Hammond, who was working for a magazine sales company, was reported missing by her employer back on Nov. 2, 2003, after she was last seen being dropped off at the Creek and Pines Trailer Park to try to sell mags, cops said.
LINK

RBBM. That's not a flat out no.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member