Found Alive NY - CS, 9, last seen 6:15pm at Moreau Lake State Park, Gansevoort, 30 Sep 2023 *arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
CS, age 9, was last seen at around 6:15 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 30, in Saratoga County, at Moreau Lake State Park in the town of Moreau.

She was camping with her family at the time of her disappearance, WNYT reports.

The incident sparked a heavy police response from multiple agencies, including New York State Police, Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office, and Forest Rangers. Search crews are using infrared drones and dogs.

State Police described the child as 5-feet-1-inch tall and 90 pounds, with dirty blonde hair. She was last seen wearing a tie dye Pokemon shirt, blue pants, and black Crocs.

Moreau Lake State Park is over 6,200 acres and includes over 20 miles of hiking trails.

Media staging area will be the Hudson Headwater parking lot located at 1299 Saratoga Road Gansevoort, NY

LINK

<modsnip: pulled previous threads due to new charges>

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange FB video from a registered Paedophile, claiming he was there and has an idea what happened, I can't link obv.
ADMIN NOTE:

Although it's most likely stupid, attention seeking behavior, when we've got an SO admitting to being in the area, they've brought any attention on themselves.

As per Tricia's post in the rules on RSOs:

It is not illegal (in my opinion) if when a child goes missing or is harmed we look at the sex offenders in the area and post their information, along with maps to show how close they live to the victim.

Without any further public sleuthing, go for it ... link up their profile on the RSO Registry and you can all yak up a storm in PMs.

ADMIN NOTE:

We've just removed 19 posts going back and forth about fingerprinting and fingerprint law ... with not one member providing a link to what they are stating as fact about fingerprints, and some such information obviously incorrect.

Please find a link to support what you are stating as fact.

Websleuths is not a guessing game folks. NO LINK, NO POST !!

I’m wondering if the change of clothing for CS was just that, just a change. There was a description of what she was wearing shared with the public, so maybe the suspect wanted her in something different so she wouldn’t be recognized? She was a child who just got kidnapped. Maybe she vomited, peed herself, etc. Maybe she just needed a change of clothes and all he had was an adult sweatshirt. Maybe she was cold and he gave her that to wear on top of her own clothing? I’m hoping and praying that’s all it was.

I was arrested in 2018 in Saratoga county NY for three misdemeanors, for something that’s been legal since 1992. It was dismissed, but I was fingerprinted, got mugshots, and was arraigned. I didn’t go to jail, and the charges were dropped, but I’ve since then wondered if my prints have been “runnable”. Like yes I get they’re in a digital file somewhere, but I doubt they’re allowed to compare my dropped charges arrest fingerprints against every crime in the state.

Yes I could’ve sued.
I had a similar situation in 2021. Because of bail reform I was fully processed and sent home. Had there not been bail reform I’d probably have been an inmate for a few days. I defended myself and they don’t really like that in NY but the DA was fully on my side and dropped all my charges down to 1 violation, like a speeding ticket, but my prints, mugshot, everything is still on file.

OCT 5, 2023
[...]

According to a press release from the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, to ensure safety and offer peace of mind for visitors and campers after the past weekend’s events, Moreau Lake State Park is reopening with:

• Increased Park Police and New York State Police patrols throughout the park

• Installed new security cameras in time for the holiday weekend

• Increased presence of Park Rangers

Furthermore, in consultation with Park Police, the OPRHP said it will conduct a thorough review of the incident as the investigation continues to develop. OPRHP will continue to identify any areas where the agency can make improvements to provide safe and enjoyable recreational and interpretive opportunities for all New York State residents and visitors.

The front entrance of the Moreau Lake State Park. (File photo)

“State Parks are a source of relaxation and recreation for so many people, and we are committed to ensuring that sense of tranquility and trust for our patrons,” State Parks Commissioner Erik Kulleseid said in a press release. “We thank all the agencies and volunteers involved CS’s safe return including Park Police, New York State Police, DEC, FBI, rangers and park staff who worked day and night Saturday through Monday to bring this terrible situation to a close.”

OCT 5, 2023
LINK
[...]

New York State Police spokesperson Deanna Cohen insisted to The New York Times that it did not seem unusual that Craig N. Ross Jr., 46, would drop off the note around 4:20 a.m. Monday at the S family’s home in Corinth because visitors had come “throughout the night.”

[...]

... “vehicles had been intermittently passing the home [before the note was dropped],” she explained.

Still, the trooper was alert enough to note that Ross’ visit “looked suspicious,” Cohen told the Times.

[...]

“Upon finding the letter, they immediately communicated the vehicle’s description to the non-commissioned officer in charge, and a ‘be on the lookout’ (BOLO) was issued to all surrounding patrols,” she noted.

At the same time, local cell towers were pinged for possible evidence and the search area was expanded, the Times reported.

[...]

On top of the running list of procedures, the trooper was likely not guarding the S home statically from the front door, Giacalone noted.

“If you stop every individual that shows up, and the suspect does show up and sees the cops there, you spook him,” he said.

[...]

Paul Mauro, a retired NYPD inspector, agreed with Giacalone’s analysis.

[...]

It was the right thing to say. If they chase someone, who has a child stashed somewhere, it can horribly backfire.

If they began chasing him, he could have called an accomplice to get CS out of the camper immediately---maybe he'd even kill her.

If he knew they were chasing him, he'd never return to his hiding place. Luckily she was on his mother's property---but if he had stashed her in the woods or in a bunker, she could have died before being found.

So that was the right thing to say---that officer was correct to wait and follow the evidence. It could have horribly backfired if he chased the unknown driver.
disagree 100%. How would LE know his fingerprint would be on the ransom note? How did they know his fingerprint would be on record from 25 year old DUI? If not so, CS could be dead by now and this whole event a tragedy. They were all very lucky. Whoever was staking out the S house failed miserable in a huge opportunity to free her 12 hours earlier by capturing the perp when he showed up at 4:20 AM to deliver the "ransom note". JMO

However the following story presents a different point of view--essentially is says there was a steady stream of visitors (although it doesn't say how many) who were visiting the home to offer comfort to the family and so the trooper thought nothing of it when someone dropped by an envelope in the S’s mailbox at 4:20 AM.

LINK

disagree 100%. How would LE know his fingerprint would be on the ransom note? How did they know his fingerprint would be on record from 25 year old DUI? If not so, CS could be dead by now and this whole event a tragedy. They were all very lucky. Whoever was staking out the Sena house failed miserable in a huge opportunity to free her 12 hours earlier by capturing the perp when he showed up at 4:20 AM to deliver the "ransom note". JMO
Hard to disagree with you. They got lucky. Had they not caught him there is no telling what would have happened to her . And it was a bit of a fluke that they DID catch him. Had he not had his fingerprint on file from that long ago, we would likely have a very different ending. I understand the procedure that was followed but they saw him leave a note and didn't stop him then and there. Making her ordeal last longer. They should have had cars stationed up the road so they could have got him as he left.

*I’m thinking about CS and her family. I hope she’s trying to heal. I do think about some PSTD later on down the road. Her parents seem like wonderful caregivers. Surely they’ve got this!
Tips for helping children heal from traumatic events:

Do:
  • Ensure children and adolescents are safe and that their basic needs are addressed.
  • Allow them to be sad or cry.
  • Let them talk, write, or draw pictures about the event and their feelings.
  • Limit their exposure to repetitive news reports about traumatic events.
  • Let them sleep in your room (for a short time) or sleep with a light on if they are having trouble sleeping.
  • Try to stick to routines, such as reading bedtime stories, eating dinner together, and playing games.
  • Help them feel in control by letting them make some decisions for themselves, such as choosing their meals or picking out their clothes.
  • Pay attention to sudden changes in behaviors, speech, language use, or strong emotions.
  • Contact a health care provider if new problems develop, particularly if any of the following symptoms occur for more than a few weeks:
    • Having flashbacks (reliving the event)
    • Having a racing heart and sweating
    • Being easily startled
    • Being emotionally numb
    • Being very sad or depressed
Don’t:
  • Expect children and adolescents to be brave or tough.
  • Make them discuss the event before they are ready.
  • Get angry if they show strong emotions.
  • Get upset if they begin bed-wetting, acting out, or thumb-sucking.
  • Make promises you can’t keep (such as “You will be OK tomorrow” or “You will go home soon.”)
1696519997704.jpeg

Last edited:
disagree 100%. How would LE know his fingerprint would be on the ransom note? How did they know his fingerprint would be on record from 25 year old DUI? If not so, CS could be dead by now and this whole event a tragedy. They were all very lucky. Whoever was staking out the Sena house failed miserable in a huge opportunity to free her 12 hours earlier by capturing the perp when he showed up at 4:20 AM to deliver the "ransom note". JMO

However the following story presents a different point of view--essentially is says there was a steady stream of visitors (although it doesn't say how many) who were visiting the home to offer comfort to the family and so the trooper thought nothing of it when someone dropped by an envelope in the S’s mailbox at 4:20 AM.

LINK
In my mind I was seeing a steady stream of people building and adding to a memorial on their property. They were asking people to avoid the park so I was thinking people were dropping notes, stuffed animals, flowers, that sort of thing. I don’t know that but imo that could have happened and that’s why so many were driving by. Everybody wanted to help out and I’ve seen those types of memorials many times. It’d be very hard to *vet every vehicle if that was the case. Hopefully we will find out.
edited to correct my autocorrect

It was a good move to proceed with care. She was found alive. The perp was arrested. Evidence was gathered. They didn't exactly sit on their thumbs the whole time. There was a safe and happy conclusion.

I appreciate that this Einstein supported the police when many would criticize even a successful operation.

I think constructive criticism of LE is healthy, important, and warranted! Agreed I'm glad there was a "good" outcome here (that we are aware of). But we can't say you know what would have happened if they did apprehend him at the time - she could have been with her family 12 hours earlier. Maybe that was when abuse occurred. Maybe not. We don't know

It was the right thing to say. If they chase someone, who has a child stashed somewhere, it can horribly backfire.

If they began chasing him, he could have called an accomplice to get CS out of the camper immediately---maybe he'd even kill her.

If he knew they were chasing him, he'd never return to his hiding place. Luckily she was on his mother's property---but if he had stashed her in the woods or in a bunker, she could have died before being found.

So that was the right thing to say---that officer was correct to wait and follow the evidence. It could have horribly backfired if he chased the unknown driver.

They didn't necessarily have to chase him. But they could have followed him or pulled him over for a "traffic" violation, etc. The point being that it was another 12 hours of horror she had to endure. I'm not saying that I know that would be a better outcome, but it may have been. You have no way of knowing. And I think it's easy for us to say this seemed like the "cleanest" and "safest" way to do it... we weren't the family waiting for her or her in that trailer. You just don't know

disagree 100%. How would LE know his fingerprint would be on the ransom note? How did they know his fingerprint would be on record from 25 year old DUI? If not so, CS could be dead by now and this whole event a tragedy. They were all very lucky. Whoever was staking out the S house failed miserable in a huge opportunity to free her 12 hours earlier by capturing the perp when he showed up at 4:20 AM to deliver the "ransom note". JMO
Agree with you... these people saying that it's "good" LE waiting and didn't pull him over or question him or apprehend him are making a lot of assumptions about how that would have gone, and if he DIDN'T have his fingerprints on the note, she may be dead right now. I'm not sure if it's even been confirmed they got his plate number?

*I’m thinking about CS and her family. I hope she’s trying to heal. I do think about some PSTD later on down the road. Her parents seem like wonderful caregivers. Surely they’ve got this!
Tips for helping children heal from traumatic events:

Do:
  • Ensure children and adolescents are safe and that their basic needs are addressed.
  • Allow them to be sad or cry.
  • Let them talk, write, or draw pictures about the event and their feelings.
  • Limit their exposure to repetitive news reports about traumatic events.
  • Let them sleep in your room (for a short time) or sleep with a light on if they are having trouble sleeping.
  • Try to stick to routines, such as reading bedtime stories, eating dinner together, and playing games.
  • Help them feel in control by letting them make some decisions for themselves, such as choosing their meals or picking out their clothes.
  • Pay attention to sudden changes in behaviors, speech, language use, or strong emotions.
  • Contact a health care provider if new problems develop, particularly if any of the following symptoms occur for more than a few weeks:
    • Having flashbacks (reliving the event)
    • Having a racing heart and sweating
    • Being easily startled
    • Being emotionally numb
    • Being very sad or depressed
Don’t:
  • Expect children and adolescents to be brave or tough.
  • Make them discuss the event before they are ready.
  • Get angry if they show strong emotions.
  • Get upset if they begin bed-wetting, acting out, or thumb-sucking.
  • Make promises you can’t keep (such as “You will be OK tomorrow” or “You will go home soon.”)
View attachment 451625

that's really useful.
I'd been wondering whether protocols exist for these type of events particularly towards handling media too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back