NY NY - Dorothy Arnold, 25, New York, 1910

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Forgive me if this link has been posted, but this article from Google Archives talks about Dorothy Arnold, although it's supposed to be about Paula Jean Welden. I don't remember hearing about the telegrams Griscom received from Italy?

She collected 'special' mail from the post office, she did so because she didnt want her family to make fun of any rejection letters she might get.. one of the workers said that they noticed foreign postmarks on the letter and thought that it must be from George in Italy.

She picked up this mail, went home and replied to George's letter and then posted the response to him - this letter is the one that Dorothy's family forced George to give them, her family also suggest that this letter showed that Dorothy intended to do herself harm. I dont really buy that though, because from all accounts Dorothy was a bit.. dramatic.

“Well, it has come back. McClure’s has turned me down. All I can see ahead is a long road with no turning. Mother will always think an accident has happened.”

She went missing on the 12th of December and her family was forced to have a press conference on Jan 26th - once they went public her family had lawyer (the one they hired to look for her before they went public) and he sent a cable to George (in Italy with his parents) that said -

It read: DOROTHY ARNOLD MISSING. FAMILY PROSTRATED. CABLE GARVARMCOM IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING OF HER WHEREABOUTS.

He immediately replied: KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. JUNIOR.

She gained her freedom 100 years ago :) (MOO obviously)

I really truly think she ran away. I really admire her for it, and really really hope that's the case. This was when Feminism was in its infancy - I bet she felt the charge of it and took things into her own hands. Again, MOO :)

I agree with you, Claudette. After reading through the info about Dorothy, I also feel she left on her own. She desperately wanted to be a writer and wasn't being taken seriously by her family at home, so I think she just wanted out of there. From what I have read about her, I've always felt she was ahead of her time. If she did run away, it was a stroke of genius on her part to have pulled it off!

For whatever reason this is one of the few cases that make me feel more curious than upset - I think its very likely that she decided enough was enough and decided that she would go somewhere that she would be able to live her life how she wanted without feeling she was being held captive.

The way her parents handled things certainly helps to show what sort of life she had with them, people that seemed more concerned about keeping appearances than the wellbeing of their child. I dont think her father would have ever reported her missing had he not been forced.

I hope that she was able to find the life that she wanted.

For those that believe she ran away - do you think she made a death bed confession of her true identity?

For those that believe she ran away - do you think she made a death bed confession of her true identity?

Thats a very interesting thought - I think its a safe bet that had she actually went somewhere to live out her life that there would be some record of it, as much as she enjoyed writing I find it hard to believe that she wouldnt leave something behind that would point to her real identity.

In a lot of ways I feel like she was forced to leave - not that her family actually told her to leave but they certainly didnt seem to be able to accept her as she was.

Sometimes I think that she decided to leave just long enough to teach her family a lesson but decided (or was bribed) to stay away once she found out how little they seemed to care about her missing. I can only imagine how it would feel for her to expect to have people looking for her but such a long time go by before they even bothered to notify anyone of her disappearance - add to that her father being so adamant from the start that she had been murdered and thrown into a reservoir when there was nothing to suggest such a thing happened. Which, btw, the reservoir had been frozen solid at the time she was missing and for weeks after so his idea that she had been thrown in (and drown) is silly to say the least.

We really dont know what happened once she left - the shady behavior on the part of her family leaves a lot of unanswered questions. She could have left a letter when leaving or made contact at any point throughout the years and it was simply kept secret as we know the family was much more concerned with keeping appearances than anything else.

I really do hope that she went somewhere and found her happy ever after.

That IS a good question. Personally, I don't think she would have made a confession on her deathbed. I agree with punklove that her family was more concerned with how things appeared for them rather than being upset over their daughter being missing. She probably just had enough of them and wanted to make a life for herself away from them. And once she took that step and walked away, she never looked back. I really think she just broke all ties and sort of detached herself from them in every way.

:twocents:

That IS a good question. Personally, I don't think she would have made a confession on her deathbed. I agree with punklove that her family was more concerned with how things appeared for them rather than being upset over their daughter being missing. She probably just had enough of them and wanted to make a life for herself away from them. And once she took that step and walked away, she never looked back. I really think she just broke all ties and sort of detached herself from them in every way.

:twocents:

I think you're both right, that makes more sense and is probably more realistic. News back then was NOTHING like today. It could have been common knowledge at one point through out the community that she DID run away and if it was never reported in the news, we wouldn't know 100 years later. Then again, I bet if we really dug into it we could find people in their 80s or up that had heard rumors or stories from their families. 100 years ago seems like a long time but it really isn't. Think about all the other things that happened that decade (Titanic, WWI). I wonder if she has any living descendants? They would probably know the answer to this.

I wish I were a filmmaker, the story (with her running away of course, not being kidnapped and worse) would be great on film!

Off topic - MaryLiz when did you change your name? I just noticed your "footnote".

Um - I just realized something. She disappeared 100 years ago at the age of 25. Fast forward the 100 years to 2010 and here I am, 25 years old, pretty much in the EXACT SAME TIME of my life (recentlyish engaged, though she was not successful in that but was trying). I tried to do writing in college and failed miserably (though I came to terms with the fact that I wasn't the best LOL - I did write for a newspaper for 2 years though).

oooOOOOooo (scary ghost noise)

:dance:

Also we missed the exact 100 year anniversary a few days ago, the 12th. Dangit.

ETA

we did point it out though, guess I have a bad short term memory lol. Another thought I had (I'm all over the place tonight!) from my impressions of the times, I wouldn't be surprised if she WAS sighted but the people that recognized her didn't want to get involved. Anyone that would have turned a blind eye, though, would have been from the "upper crust" of society IMO. The poor were POOR (my family immigrated around this time and were Irish so...yep, immigrated Irish around 1910, that was pretty poor lol) and I doubt anyone from that portion of society would pass up that reward for some rich girl that they didn't know.

I think this story is fascinating, and wanted to put my :twocents: in.

A lot of the links don't work anymore, but from the ones that do, I got the impression the pawnbroker didn't come forward with the info about the tryst in Boston until after Dorothy's disappearance went public. One of the articles seemed IMO to imply a representative was sent at that time to pick up the jewelry that was pawned.

But regardless, is it possible Dorothy made the plans to go to DC to get an abortion? If she left early Wed. morning, she could have had time to go somewhere, get the abortion, and get to the friend's house late that night. Then the following day, she doesn't want to get up and Theodora thinks she is on her cycle. Maybe the bulky package was from that procedure, maybe meds or things she left at the clinic? I find it very, very difficult to believe this was mail, as even today there is no guarantee on when a package will arrive. (I do a lot of Fed-Exing, and because of where I live and some of the places stuff is sent from, even from them 'overnight' does not always mean 'overnight'...) She could have spent all day Thursday recuperating, felt better during the night, so decided to go on home on Friday. IMO, this would also explain her 'cryptic' line in her letter to George. She thought he was going to marry her and take her away, but he ran off to Italy and she got an abortion, she hoped to make a living as a writer but couldn't get published, so she sees her life as a long road with no turns, as in nothing is ever going to change. IMO, my first theory is Dorothy chose to disappear. I also think at some point shortly afterwards, her family discovered what happened to her, and chose to cover it up.

I also think Dorothy's father is being judged a little harshly. The man was 70+ years old when this happened, which made him in his 20's in the 1860's and earlier. This guy lived through the Civil War, maybe even fought in it. ?? My parents were a lot more strict than my friends' parents, and also almost 20 years older, from a different generation. There was a big difference in what was proper in the '40's vs. what was proper in the '60's, and my parents definitely had '40's values, lol. I remember having big fights with them to be allowed to wear jeans, in the 1970's... If premarital sex was scandalous in 1910, imagine what it was in 1860.

I wonder if there is any way to get the actual police documents from back then. That would be a very interesting read.

Good point, I forgot how much older he was. Think about what his generation was like, then look at hers. 10 years after she disappeared (and still her generation I would assume) flappers and jazz were all the rage - skimpy clothing, short hair, and all that crazy racket music lol

The civil war was in the 1860s and for sure shaped his childhood. Possibly never knew his father, brothers, family members due to it. Saw the destruction around him (just looked through hundreds of civil war photos yesterday for an unrelated reason actually. Horrible, horrible, horrible. The dead were just left where they fell and that was their grave.)

I still think they treated her like carp though, but that is because my life experiences are like her thus my thinking is closer to hers - remember, WWI hadn't come about yet when she disappeared. The Spanish American war occured when she was a kid - when I was the age that she was during that war, we had the Cold War going on. I barely knew about it because it didn't directly affect me and I was so young I wasn't exposed to it, I suspect this was the same with her as that war was in Cuba.

So yes, two very extreme life differences.

Off topic - MaryLiz when did you change your name? I just noticed your "footnote".

lol...just a few weeks ago. I just decided to go with something closer to my real name.. I know it's confusing. It's about the third time I've changed it!

I can see Lanie's point about Dorothy's Dad. My Mom and Dad were quite a bit older when I was born, so I can definitely understand different generations having different thoughts about things.

Another thought, which might be strange, but I couldn't help comparing Dorothy wanting to be a writer with the movie industry just getting started about that time. I know they are completely different, but maybe her Dad and the rest of her family looked down on ANY career in the arts. The film industry was very much looked down upon when it first started. People loved to go to the movies, but they thought actors were kind of below upper crust society. The first film studios were actually in New York City around the late 1800s to early 1900s. The first studio in Hollywood didn't open until around 1910 or 1911. The high society people in New York really thumbed their noses at "movie folks". Just the fact that Dorothy wanted a career in the arts obviously didn't sit well with her family. I don't know that they associated writers with actors back then, but this was the time that the film industry was born and comparisons could have inevitably been made.

There probably were some parallels drawn between the two occupations and maybe Dorothy's family thought she was going to start writing for "moving pictures" if her novels didn't get published. I know it's kind of an odd theory, but since the medium of film was so new, it was probably uppermost on people's minds, and no respectable person in NY would be associated with making films, whether they were actors, directors or writers. And I know Dorothy was more of a wannabe romance novelist, but the thought just crossed my mind. :)

Another thought, which might be strange, but I couldn't help comparing Dorothy wanting to be a writer with the movie industry just getting started about that time.

As a future failed screenwriter, I've thought of that one myself. The industry was hiring just about anyone at that point. Women were active in screenwriting from the beginning, usually as part of a team or under a male pen name. The same was true of the burgeoning pulp fiction industry.

It's an encouraging thought that Dorothy may have used some of that cash to go to California and help build the movie industry. And the fact is, in 1910 it was much, much easier for someone to simply vanish. There were no Social Security numbers, and most employers or landlords did not do much of a background check; it was simply too difficult and expensive. That circumstance may have been expedient for Dorothy, but makes tracing her, over a hundred years later, nearly impossible for the likes of us. I hope she found what she was looking for.

As a future failed screenwriter, I've thought of that one myself. The industry was hiring just about anyone at that point. Women were active in screenwriting from the beginning, usually as part of a team or under a male pen name. The same was true of the burgeoning pulp fiction industry.

It's an encouraging thought that Dorothy may have used some of that cash to go to California and help build the movie industry. And the fact is, in 1910 it was much, much easier for someone to simply vanish. There were no Social Security numbers, and most employers or landlords did not do much of a background check; it was simply too difficult and expensive. That circumstance may have been expedient for Dorothy, but makes tracing her, over a hundred years later, nearly impossible for the likes of us. I hope she found what she was looking for.

You're right...they didn't really check up on anyone. The film business was booming and they were hiring people right and left, men and women. And there were lots of female screenwriters in the beginning. Frances Marion (photo below) comes to mind, among others, and just thinking of all those women in the movie business at the beginning, and knowing that the East Coast film studios started to move west around the time Dorothy disappeared is interesting.

frances+marion+3.jpg

Here's an article I found from the NY Times on April 9, 1921. Kat had posted some links to old articles from Google News on page 2 of this thread, posts #46 and 47, back in June. I tried to open the one from April 21, 1921, that mentioned that Dorothy was no longer listed as missing, but it wouldn't open. This article from April 9, 1921, basically says the same thing. It's probably similar to the link Kat posted that no longer works from the later date in April of 1921. It's a very interesting article that I don't remember reading before.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00F14F83B5B1B7A93CBA9178FD85F458285F9

Hello,

I have been fascinated by the Dorothy Arnold case since I was a little girl and have been following your discussion of the case off and on over the years. When my time permits I sometimes google and see if there is anything new online about Dorothy. And I would like to contribute some of my own thoughts on the case if you don't mind a stranger popping in.

One of the reasons I am intrigued by Dorothy is I can relate to her in many ways (don't worry I don't mean that in any nutty or mystical way). Though my background is the exact opposite of Dorothy's, my parents were very like hers, they were old-fashioned even for their own time, more like Victorian in their morals and values, very strict, controlling, and intolerant. I am also a published author, so I can relate to Dorothy's desire to be a writer, and what she went through trying to pursue her dream. I have also had my own version of George Griscom in my life.

Even if she burned or tore up her rejected stories, I don't think Dorothy gave up her dream to write, though she may have been depressed for this and other more personal reasons. I have always seen the book she bought the day she vanished as a positive sign. I believe it was a book of short stories collected in book form that were originally published in The Ladies Home Journal or some such magazine, "An Engaged Girl's Sketches", if I remember the title correctly. In those days and given her family and social position, I doubt a would-be writer like Dorothy would have had the advantages we have today like writer's groups, classes, and as far as I know she did not have a literary agent to advise her. I have always seen her purchase of that particular book as a sort of study aid, like "what are they doing right that I am doing wrong?" Otherwise, to me, buying that particular book is the mental equivalent of beating herself in the head with it, or rubbing her own face in her failure, and she already had her family at home to do that for her.

I believe Dorothy found the courage to walk away that day. I think she had been thinking about it, fantasizing about it, for a long time, though whether she actually planned to do it before she left home to shop or just decided "this is the day" and made a spur of the moment decision while she was out, I'm still on the fence about that, as well as what happened to her afterwards. I also think she had resigned herself to the fact that she wanted the relationship with Griscom more than he did and that it was never really going to go anywhere, so it was nothing to hold herself back for.

Even if she never actually succeeded as a writer, there were other creative and literary or artistic avenues she might have gone down. For example, in the early days of movies it was possible to sell scenarios or storylines to the movie studios for silent movies, I have read about people doing this by sending a letter to a studio and getting $10 or $20 for it, I recall reading a famous female screenwriter from that era got her start that way. She might also have found work as a manuscript submissions reader or proofreader for a publishing house or found work of some kind behind the scenes in the film industry, in those days it was much easier to leave your old life behind and become someone new. She might even have gone to London or Paris and lost herself in bohemian/artistic circles. That might have been the reason for the brochures in her desk, maybe this was something she was considering? As for the remarks in her letter that are sometimes interpreted as sucidal, I think she was referring to what her life would be like if she continued to live it without making a change, that it was just not going to get better, and that her mother would think she was the victim of some sort of accident if she disappeared.

Of course, even if she did just walk away, that does not necessarily mean she led a long and happy life. I have always seen Dorothy as susceptible to the wrong sort of men, something may have happened to her and she did not realize she had made a mistake until it was too late. As a pampered society girl she might have found it harder living on her own, as a working class woman thanshe imagined it would be. Plus she would have been saddled with the burden of keeping her identity secret, going through life feeling like she was always looking over her shoulder, in fear of being recognized or bumping into someone she knew even in the most unlikely places (it could happen, rich people do like to go "slumming").

I think her family knew a lot more than they ever revealed, I always thought their being so quick to say she was dead or murdered was their way of saying "she is dead to us." Whether pregnancy or abortion figured into this in any way I can't say. On a much darker note, I have sometimes wondered if she might have been imprisoned by her family in an asylum under a false name because of her behavior; given the social standards of the day her affair with Griscom would have labelled her "soiled goods." Maybe she did try to walk away, was found, and that was her punishment since her family felt she had disgraced them, so a return to polite society was not possible, and even if it were maybe they didn't believe they could control her or trust her not to try again? The Arnolds had the money and power to make Dorothy disappear in that manner, inside an insane asylum or even a convent.

I have always hoped a book would be written about the case someday by someone with an investigative background who would really dig into the case and research it as much as is possible at this point, perhaps find descendants of the Arnolds, Griscom, and even maybe the friend she stayed with for Thanksgiving, maybe Theodora told her own family things she didn't tell Dorothy's family, police, or press but they were passed down in her own family?

Also, I've always been curious, does anyone know what became of George Griscom after? Did he ever marry?

I also recall reading during one of my occasional google searches on the case something about an annotated copy of Charles Fort's "Book of the Damned" or perhaps it was a letter written to him by someone who had read it, with a comment about Dorothy and Philadelphia, I wondered if anyone here had read that or looked into it?

Thank you for allowing me to comment on this fascinating case.

Cool! Sounds like she DID disappear and told the police but asked that her location not be divulged to her family. Her family would still consider the case unsolved as they still don't know where she is. It sounds like the police were hinting toward this (or was it the reporter? either way...) when they mentioned her family suddenly seizing their search for her.

Would NYPD still have this case on file? Anyone willing to ask lol I would send this article with the email.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back