NY NY - Dorothy Arnold, 25, New York, 1910

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks kokopelli1,

It's amazing all the new information that has become available in all 0f these cold cases, since more of the old newspapers have become available online.
I'm sure most of this information would have been lost to time if it weren't for the internet.

So far I've only been able to trace the Arnold family this far.

I believe that the wife of Arnold Vollmer (his obit here: http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/27/nyregion/arnold-vollmer-an-architect-and-engineer-80.html ) was Dorothy Arnold's niece. Her sister Marjorie Brewster Arnold was married and had at least two daughters with George Vaill La Monte. This was Rebecca.

I believe the niece's death (Nov. 5th, 1999) is recorded here:
http://www.sspl.org/research/databa...1&startYear=1998&toDay=1&toMon=10&toYear=2003

The other niece, Isabel Mary La Monte married Stephen S. Chamberlain in 1938, but I haven't been able to find anything more about her.

But I have no idea how to go on from this point. Probably the surviving son and daughters have little interest in their disappearing great grand aunt.

Isabel Mary La Monte married Stephen Stuart car Chamberlain , son of Dr. and Mrs. Aims R. Chamberlain of Maplewood at St. Peter's Epispicopal Church in Essex Fells, N.J. June 4, 1938.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstr...Brook, was maried tonight in St. Peter&st=cse

I'm too stingy to pay for the article individually, but may take advantage of a package deal in the not-too-distant-future.

http://www.stpeters-essexfells.org/news_and_media.html

You're welcome, momtolil and Robin Hood. I've been following this forum for several years, on and off, but never before had anything substantive to add. Then I saw momtolil's wondering about possible descendants and thought I had something interesting to contribute.

If anyone is into genealogy, there might be something out there about these families.

I almost wonder if that last minute trip to her friends house was so she could to there to have an abortion because she didnt want to risk someone seeing her in NYC or her parents sent her there and forced her to have an abortion.

Once home she could have gone to the maternity hospital due to compilations regarding the abortion, who knows.

I almost wonder if that last minute trip to her friends house was so she could to there to have an abortion because she didnt want to risk someone seeing her in NYC or her parents sent her there and forced her to have an abortion.

Once home she could have gone to the maternity hospital due to compilations regarding the abortion, who knows.

Right - and remember how she got secret mail or sent out secret mail (can't remember which it was) I bet it was something from the doctor.

I wonder if she had a maid ? now she would know if sanitary items of the day were used by Dorothy. Not the best of subjects but I'd guess a ladies maid would be privvy to lots of info that might shed some light.

Right - and remember how she got secret mail or sent out secret mail (can't remember which it was) I bet it was something from the doctor.

Yeah, thats weird too - I remember thinking it was odd that she would have any mail sent there because she wouldnt have been there long enough to even get it.

Another weird thing is that the mail didnt come that day, her friend said she thought it was weird the mail came and wanted to ask her about what it was but Dorothy didnt feel well and seemed seem like she wanted to answer questions.

So we know that Dorothy left New York to visit her friend hours away on Thanksgiving day - after traveling she had about 24 hours to visit with her friend. Who travels two days to spend less than 24 hours to visit someone?

Her friend also said she thought it was weird that Dorothy stayed in bed late the day the 'mail' came. Its possible that whoever brought that mail was actually some sort of medicine for her to take.

Bumping for Dorothy. A fascinating case full of twists and turns that would make a fine mystery novel. And unfortunately so much time has passed that we will likely never know what happened to her.

I think she left of her own accord, I hope she ended up happy

It's interesting how many of us hope that Dorothy disappeared on her own, maybe living a wonderfully bohemian life that would have shocked her family. Or maybe she went away, met someone, lived a full and happy life.

At least, that's what I hope happened . . .:twocents:

If she did leave on her own, maybe the package had new identification papers in it?

I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed this thread! I read it all in one evening, it's very addicting. I had noticed Dorothy before in the JaneDoe Network. She alway stuck out to me for a few reasons *age of the case, her wealth and I grew up in that area*.

There was one question that stuck out to me, and it's about the mail: if the mail didn't run that day, who delivered the mail to her?

I have some very personal insights into Dorothy's life, that I can identify with my own but instead of interjecting let me just throw out there what I think happened:

1. I believe that Dorothy was most likely a black sheep of her family, she did as she pleased. Sort of how we see heiresses today behaving only a lil' more reserved in some areas. She had an image to uphold for her namesake. I'm sure her father made threats, be them idle or not, regarding "going away" to not handle her: aka committed. For all we know her writings were rejected because her father instructed the publishing houses to do so. Her parents most likely burned her diary not just any random writings.

*seems rather strategic that brochures were left behind, out in the open - red herring if you ask me.

2. Dorothy in my opinion did not run off. Why? She was accustom to one way of living that the common society at that point would not accept her as one of their own. She wouldn't be able to blend no matter how she dressed. Her accent, her education and her proper etiquette would seem rather odd for a "local girl". She also had never worked a day in her life, how would she go about understand job skills of that time? Yes, people could easily disappear back then but most had either modest up bringing and then became rich. Few were wealthy, the rest were of the working class.

3. When Dorothy visited her friend, the bit her friend said "She's on her cycle" stuck out to me. This makes it sound like she either knew of cramping, an issue with (for the lack of better terms) a heavy flow and over all not feeling well. Seems to me there was an exchange of words regarding what Dorothy was using as an excuse to remain in bed. If she suffered major blood loss, she would be absolutely weak and lethargic.

4. Dorothy most likely had an abortion. She could have gotten pregnant thinking it would cause this man to finally commit but he didn't and he was left with little choice. I believe her parents knew full well, as I'm sure Dorothy brought it up both in the "yes he loves me! we are having a baby!" (as she's documented as being dramatic). I could see her stating this to her father but not her mother. Her father probably paid for the procedure.

5. She would have been given a rather heavy sedative and most likely morphine to recover. This too could explain her lethargic behavior. Chloral hydrate was a big hit at the time and heroin was still prescribed (morphine might have been later). With either being prescribed, she could have staged suicide by accidental overdose, which was VERY common with Chloral hydrate and still is.

6. I believe Dorothy did die at home and her parents had to find a way to dispose of her quietly. The 6 weeks that it had taken for her to be mentioned was most likely their grieving time as well as tying up loose ends.

It always struck me as odd that her friends didn't miss her or go looking for her. And as far as her family going to Europe, it could have been a rouse or considering the fathers' business, simply business plans (and maybe even paying off her ex suitor to keep his mouth shut).

i'd love to believe Dorothy made it but sadly, given her sheltered life - I have no idea how she would. She was trying to be a bad girl but even in her attempts she stayed among the elite. She might have liked the idea but if she were to try it, she would have given up rather quickly. I used a lot of her details compared to the many eras of wealthy girls from family empires who are/were the same way. Cover ups still occur: Casey Johnson (the daughter of Johnson/Johnson wealth) is one I can think of.

i probably contributed nothing but I plan on reading these books. So many were mentioned and I'm very intrigued. Thank you each and all for giving your time and effort to this.

Does anyone know what perfume importing company he owned and if he sold it, if he did, to whom? Im very familiar with that area and know of a few long time standing perfumers in that area that I buy from.

The very first time I ever read this case, I had the strangest feeling about it... I have since the beginning thought it to be a scandalous love story.

I think she met a young man... a writer like herself.
I think she went to see the crotchy old Mr G, the man she thought she was going to marry to gauge her true feelings.
I think the secret trip helped her make her decision.

Because her love is poor, he must save up for a few months before he can send for her/come get her.

She runs away with her poor young man... leaving behind the only life she knew, but chasing a dream that life wouldn't allow her.
Before she heads to the train, she buys some candies to share with her lover on their honeymoon, along with a book of love stories to read to one another.
They marry soon after crossing the state border to avoid leaving a record in N.Y. Dorthy uses a fake name.

When I read her story, I imagine she and her love moved away to some place quiet... where they could write. They move into a small house with almost nothing to their name. Dorthy feels that this lack of material items is somehow a final break from her wealthy father's grip and a wave goodbye to her former social status.
Her husband eventually lands a job at a local newspaper, or gets a job at a small college. She becomes a mother and continues to write. They live their years as the average American couple in a small town, in a small house filled with big dreams.

Does anyone know anything about the life of George Briscom Jr. AFTER Dorothy disappeared? Did he ever marry? Where did he die? What happened to him? KISS...

Griscom was living in Liverpool England in 1918, and had been there since 1913, working as a self-employed engineer, according to his application for citizenship registration, in which he says he does plan to return to the US and wants to remain a US citizen. He never shows back up in US censuses, so he may well have just stayed in England. (Away from the heat?)

I see that people are still coming up with possible scenarios despite the article posted one page back. Do we know if those articles are trustworthy at all? And in that case how would that fit the time frame we have of her? We know that left NY to visit her friend, but she went back, and she only disappeared much later. If we believe her last sighting to be credible she was well enough to be shopping and walking around. I'm wondering how that fits in?

This case has fascinated me even before I joined WS, that's why I'm so curious.

I think part of the hesitancy to trust the article is because the case was so big and yet the explanation of her disappearance never made it to the big papers that reported her case.

I personally trust the article enough (it's plausible someone lied of course but I doubt it personally, they're opening themselves up to a possible lawsuit from a very wealthy and connected family). I think the "truth" stayed corralled because for some reason it just didn't get out. You know her family didn't tell anyone. The author of the article, readers from that area and anyone involved in that place didn't find the need to send it to the New York Times, or didn't care enough to make the effort.

This would never happen today of course. But most people then did not have cars, a days trip was to the next town over. No internet, no 24/7 news and tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of newspapers. The world was much much bigger then.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so I will run the risk of reposting it. Based on the statement of the Pittsburgh DA R. H. Jackson, Chief Detective E. E. Clark and his squad of detectives from Pittsburgh all verify that Dorothy Arnold came to the "House of Mystery" maternity hospital in Pittsburgh in 1910, had an "operation" and returned home to New York where she died in her family home soon after. If this is true, and I believe it is based on Capt. John Ayers statements in 1921, the book and candy Dorothy bought, perhaps for a train trip, and the fact that the last place she was seen was within 3 to 6 blocks of Grand Central Terminal and Pennsylvania Station. Based on the totality of the evidence, I believe she died as the result of an abortion in the presence of her family and was reported missing to the Police after her body was disposed of. The pretense of a search and Griscom's advertisement for years created the illusion that she was still missing. I believe the father was known to the family.

Dr. Meridith had killed more than a dozen women during "operations". At this point, I have to believe the Pittsburgh and New York Police statements over anything the Arnold family or John Keith said. I'm calling it case closed.

Just wanted to bump this back up.

So I stand slightly corrected - the big newspapers did sort of report on it. They reported the case was closed but did not go further into it. Her father probably threatened them and with power, money and connections they didn't press further.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Who_knows_18
Back