Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was happy to read that " Pedro Hernandez provided detectives with "intimate details" about the murder of Etan Patz that only the killer could have known, sources said.
NYPD detectives believe these key clues, kept secret for 33 years, are proof that the former SoHo bodega stockboy charged in the infamous abduction knew too much to not be involved."
but I'm also reading other news saying there are doubts he did it. So confusing. I just hope they have the right person.

What was the motive for luring this kid off the street and choking him to death? I think he's omitting something from his confession.

bbm
I feel strongly that he is as well.

Possibly a ped, was 18 at the time, maybe the 1st time he acted on it and killed the child? I don't believe he just wanted to strangle a child and then never killed again. Yet I can believe it was sexual motivated crime that he killed a child but then never killed another child afterwards (hope that makes sense)

Is it possible that he had previously acted inappropriately with Etan (anything from molestation to just propositioning the child, etc.) and this was a way to cover it up before Etan told someone about it?

So - are there other children missing or unsolved murder cases that can be tied to at least the area PH lived in those 33 years then?

IMHO it is possible to do something heinous like this and then go on to live a seemingly normal life. I've seen it before in other cases. Granted it's usually not that way but it does happen.

So - are there other children missing or unsolved murder cases that can be tied to at least the area PH lived in those 33 years then?

IMHO it is possible to do something heinous like this and then go on to live a seemingly normal life. I've seen it before in other cases. Granted it's usually not that way but it does happen.

Some of those that do these kind of crimes do live very normal lives (outwardly anyway) and that is why they are not caught for years or if ever because of their blending capabilities.

I think sometimes we conjure up images of someone who does murders like this and think they must be some fire eating monster when actually they look and 'appear' just like any other person.

That is one of the reasons they are able to do things like this for so long without ever being caught.

Now I have no idea if this man has committed other crimes but I have always felt if a person is not caught they will do it again.

IMO

In Manhattan one would certainly think so. "A million stories in the naked city," etc. etc. If they've the strength in numbers to assign it done, I'm sure NYPD has someone on the trail.

Some of those that do these kind of crimes do live very normal lives (outwardly anyway) and that is why they are not caught for years or if ever because of their blending capabilities.

I think sometimes we conjure up images of someone who does murders like this and think they must be some fire eating monster when actually they look and 'appear' just like any other person.

That is one of the reasons they are able to do things like this for so long without ever being caught.

Now I have no idea if this man has committed other crimes but I have always felt if a person is not caught they will do it again.

IMO
I know that everyone says child molesters can't be cured, will molest/kill again, and that sort of thing. And stats tend to back it up. But if a young Hernandez was soon to begin a regimen of meds - maybe he freaked when he realized what he'd done* and sought medical help - and stayed faithfully on his meds, he may be the exception that proves the rule, i.e., tests the rule.

* or says he's done

There was a series of missing children on Staten Island in the late 70s - early 80s. While reporting one case a boy is seen on camera - he would go missing some time later. The crimes were attributed to some guy - he claims his innocence though. But Pedro moved out of Manhattan soon after Etan went missing. Not sure if he has been in Jersey this entire 30 + years or not.

I remember a few Manhattan cases were profiled - their children went missing and most never recovered. The children went missing not far from area Etan lived - around the same time - received no media coverage. Just Mothers crying on the steps outside their homes - telling of the last time they saw their children.

Reports state Pedro worked one month at bodega prior to Etan going missing. Then moving out of the area shortly after Etan goes missing - but does not specify where he moved at that time. His wife got restraining order in 2007 - that is when they moved into this rented place in Maple Shade. Before that they declared bancruptcy in 2001 - that should have an address attached. At one point Pedro's wife moved in with her sister - so Pedro was on his own for a bit at least before Maple Shade.

There was a series of missing children on Staten Island in the late 70s - early 80s. While reporting one case a boy is seen on camera - he would go missing some time later. The crimes were attributed to some guy - he claims his innocence though.

The suspect in that case is named Andre Rand. If anyone is interested in a really interesting, comprehensive (but kind of scary) documentary about that guy and the children he is suspected of abducting/killing, I highly recommend a film called "Cropsey." It was on Netflix streaming service when I watched it, and it may still be available there.

The suspect in that case is named Andre Rand. If anyone is interested in a really interesting, comprehensive (but kind of scary) documentary about that guy and the children he is suspected of abducting/killing, I highly recommend a film called "Cropsey." It was on Netflix streaming service when I watched it, and it may still be available there.
Even the word "Cropsey" makes my hair stand on end. Best urban legend name ever. Haven't seen film yet but am familiar with its story, and with Andre Rand's.

The lumber store was mentioned in the May 27, 1979 article of the NY Times. At the time it was Gem Lumber at 175 Spring St. I think it's something different now. The manager said he saw Etan at the store with another young boy - they were playing in the dumpster pulling out scraps of wood and then came in and bought a couple of boxes of nails. He thought it was Etan based on a school photo police distributed. The article said two blood hounds traced the scent and entered the lumber store several times, but had difficulty picking it up out in the street. The next days NYT article stated police believed it probably was not Etan the manager had seen. Spring St. is one block south of Prince and 175 Spring St. is near the corner of Thompson. Police obviously ruled it out for some reason. I think they had many calls where people thought they'd seen Etan, but it turned out to be a case of mistaken identity.

Going back through the early articles, it was also mentioned that the bus left the stop at 8:00 a.m. - 10 minutes early - with only six students aboard. Th driver was new and it was the first day after the strike. He didn't realize there should have been 24 children on board. One of the mothers waited until 8:20 for Etan to show up after the bus had left.

Even the word "Cropsey" makes my hair stand on end. Best urban legend name ever. Haven't seen film yet but am familiar with its story, and with Andre Rand's.

This movie is pretty terrifying. A lot of the documentary centers around the Willowbrook State Hospital for mentally-disabled people, which was the center of a lot of controversy in the 70's due to the gross mistreatment of patient/residents there, and it was later closed and abandoned; I think it was Geraldo Rivera who did a scathing expose about that back then. The filmmakers spend a lot of time on the grounds of the old hospital and that's really creepy. Definitely a great movie, but you might want to avoid watching it right before bed, like I made the mistake of doing! :what:

Sorry to go off-topic. :blushing:

The lumber store was mentioned in the May 27, 1979 article of the NY Times. At the time it was Gem Lumber at 175 Spring St. I think it's something different now. The manager said he saw Etan at the store with another young boy - they were playing in the dumpster pulling out scraps of wood and then came in and bought a couple of boxes of nails. He thought it was Etan based on a school photo police distributed. The article said two blood hounds traced the scent and entered the lumber store several times, but had difficulty picking it up out in the street. The next days NYT article stated police believed it probably was not Etan the manager had seen. Spring St. is one block south of Prince and 175 Spring St. is near the corner of Thompson. Police obviously ruled it out for some reason. I think they had many calls where people thought they'd seen Etan, but it turned out to be a case of mistaken identity.

Going back through the early articles, it was also mentioned that the bus left the stop at 8:00 a.m. - 10 minutes early - with only six students aboard. Th driver was new and it was the first day after the strike. He didn't realize there should have been 24 children on board. One of the mothers waited until 8:20 for Etan to show up after the bus had left.

Wow...great, detailed info. Thank you so much, Stargaze! This is very helpful.

I believe it was on BioChannel a few weeks ago too. In two separate parts. It was chilling.

This movie is pretty terrifying. A lot of the documentary centers around the Willowbrook State Hospital for mentally-disabled people, which was the center of a lot of controversy in the 70's due to the gross mistreatment of patient/residents there, and it was later closed and abandoned; I think it was Geraldo Rivera who did a scathing expose about that back then. The filmmakers spend a lot of time on the grounds of the old hospital and that's really creepy. Definitely a great movie, but you might want to avoid watching it right before bed, like I made the mistake of doing! :what:

Sorry to go off-topic. :blushing:
Yes, it was Geraldo, back when he was good for something. Bobby Kennedy called it a "snake pit," I remember (after refreshing my memory just now on Wiki, lol).

Under a doctor’s care, Mr. Hernandez has been taking the antipsychotic medication known by the generic name olanzapine, according to the person familiar with his mental history. The Food and Drug Administration has approved the drug to treat the symptoms of several illnesses, including schizophrenia. When Mr. Hernandez was first given these diagnoses was not immediately clear, said the person, who insisted on anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/n...-of-pedro-hernandez-suspect-in-patz-case.html

Paul J. Browne, the chief police spokesman, said that the detectives’ report that lists Mr. Hernandez’s name also says that people in the bodega had said that Etan was not seen in the store. He suggested that was plausible because the entrance to the basement was from an open metal door on the sidewalk; the boy did not have to go in the store to get downstairs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/n...z-suspect-in-patz-case.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth