Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks!!
I don't exactly remember the street he worked on and my first guess would be Spring St but Prince St also comes to mind but I think only because we may have parked on that street while waiting for him.
I also want to add that in past discussions with my mother of this kidnapping, she may have thought he was playing on a different street, possibly around the block from where he lived. I have seen Etan's parents giving interviews on documentaries and his father says he was never allowed outside by himself BUT the day my brother and I played with Etan he was by himself!!! I'm not passing judgement because in the 70's before this kidnapping it wasn't unheard of to let your children play outside especially if the parents felt the neighborhood was completely safe. Maybe Etan's parents weren't aware he was outside or that he may have gone around the block (if he indeed did that the day we played with him). IMO if he was outside that day we saw him by himself how many other times did he go out to play alone? We were in the neighborhood quite often to pick up my grandfather from work to bring him to our house in lower Manhattan. It saved him a cab ride or subway ride. I don't recall seeing Etan playing outside by himself in that area any other time we were there.

This was an interesting thread. I've been following this story since it happened. I lived in NYC in the 70's and my grandfather worked on the same block Etan patz lived on. We would pick my grandfather up after work in our car and drive him home or to or house most days. One day while waiting for my grandfather in our car, my brother and I saw a little boy playing by himself on the street. My mother allowed us to get out of our car to play with him. I remember my brother who was 6 at the time asking this little boy his name and age. His name was Etan which in my 8 year old mind was strange to me. A few weeks later this little boy went missing. My mom had helped hand out fliers and after that, my mom, and I think every other mom in NYC was a bit more cautious allowing their kids to play outside. Anyway I have followed Etan's story over 30 years in hopes of him being found. I don't believe Jose Ramos kidnapped him. I don't know why but it's just a gut feeling telling me he didn't do it. Don't get me wrong, Ramos sounds like a real "winner" but I don't think he did it JMO

:welcome5:

It's possible this guy could have done it (if there even was a murder) but I don't see any case here. If he could lead them to the body or some artifact that Etan had with him that day then that would be a different matter. Unless they have something they are not telling us about, I don't see how they can even hold this guy. People confess to crimes they didn't do quite often, usually to get attention or because they are mentally ill and feel guilty about something else they've done and want to be punished.

In spite of everything, somehow I think the person presently accused of the crime, might have done something to someone, just not necessarily EP. imo, subject to change, speculation...
Did LE completely rule-out the other poi in this case?

Another article on the tape:

Etan Patz's Alleged Murder: 'Something Just Took Over Me'
By Associated Press
09/16/2014 AT 01:30 PM EDT

Snipped:

After the videotape clicks on, the 53-year-old calmly tells investigators how he choked 6-year-old Etan Patz in the basement of a Manhattan convenience store on May 25, 1979. He describes putting the boy, who was still alive, into a plastic bag, then putting the bag inside a box and dumping it nearby.

"I was nervous; my legs were jumping," Pedro Hernandez said. "I wanted to let go, but I just couldn't let go. I felt like something just took over me. I don't know what to say. Something just took over me, and I was just choking him."

http://www.people.com/article/etan-patz-murder-confession

New confession video shown in Etan Patz murder case; defense attorney accuses cops of coaching defendant

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...video-etan-patz-murder-case-article-1.1945929
Something isn't sitting right with me. He is too...suggestible? It seems like a false confession to me....as in mentally he has it in his head that it happened by his hand but his story isn't adding up. And the video seems to go along with my thinking. Speculation of course but ever since this man first came in the picture something has been off.

Defendant in Etan Patz Case Is Called Unfit to Confess

Asked what it meant to read a person his rights, Mr. Hernandez recited the basic Miranda warning flawlessly, starting with, “You have the right to remain silent; anything you say can be held against you.” Mr. Frumkin [a Miami psychologist] said the tape proved only that Mr. Hernandez had seen “Law & Order” on television and knew the words, not that he understood them.

During her questioning of Mr. Frumkin, Ms. Illuzi-Orbon [Asst Manhattan DA and lead prosecutor] also noted that Mr. Hernandez had held skilled jobs, had taught himself to play the accordion by ear and was a good automotive mechanic. Mr. Frumkin acknowledged that he had not considered those things in his evaluation, but said they did not change his opinion of Mr. Hernandez.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/n...atz-case-is-called-unfit-to-confess.html?_r=0

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/24/justice/etan-patz-ruling/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"New York (CNN) -- A jury will be allowed to consider a confession by a suspect with a low IQ who is accused of killing a 6-year-old boy more than three decades ago, a judge ruled Monday.

In May 2012, Pedro Hernandez told police that he choked Etan Patz to death in New York City in 1979, police say.

Hernandez's attorney, Harvey Fishbein, argued that his client falsely confessed and the statements were not reliable because Hernandez had been repeatedly diagnosed with schizophrenia and has an "IQ in the borderline-to-mild mental retardation range."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/24/justice/etan-patz-ruling/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"New York (CNN) -- A jury will be allowed to consider a confession by a suspect with a low IQ who is accused of killing a 6-year-old boy more than three decades ago, a judge ruled Monday.

In May 2012, Pedro Hernandez told police that he choked Etan Patz to death in New York City in 1979, police say.

Hernandez's attorney, Harvey Fishbein, argued that his client falsely confessed and the statements were not reliable because Hernandez had been repeatedly diagnosed with schizophrenia and has an "IQ in the borderline-to-mild mental retardation range."

Thanks for the update dotr it is appreciated I was wondering what was happening with the case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/n...edCenter&action=click&src=recg&pgtype=article

"The defendant’s credibility will be critical to the prosecution because Mr. Fishbein intends to present an alternative culprit at trial. He has promised to call as a material witness Jose Antonio Ramos, a convicted child molester who was close to one of the boy’s babysitters. Mr. Ramos was long a suspect in the case, and he was found culpable in a wrongful-death lawsuit"

THE PROSECUTION

Prosecutors' case appears to center on Hernandez's confessions to police and prosecutors, plus statements they say he made to a friend, his ex-wife and a church prayer group in the 1980s about having harmed a child in New York. The prosecution team, led by veteran Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon, hasn't alluded to any physical evidence against Hernandez, and his defense has said there is none.

In his video-recorded confessions, Hernandez tranquilly recounts offering soda to entice Etan into the convenience store basement and choking him. He says he put the still-living boy into a plastic bag, boxed up the bag and left it on a street.

Prosecutors call the confessions credible, and Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Maxwell Wiley ruled they could be used at trial. The decision followed a weekslong hearing on whether Hernandez was properly advised of his rights to stay silent and mentally capable of understanding them.

THE DEFENSE

Hernandez's defense maintains his confessions are the false imaginings of a man who has an IQ in the lowest 2 percent of the population and has problems discerning reality from fiction. He has taken anti-psychotic medication for years and has been diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder; characteristics include social isolation and odd beliefs. The defense — led by Harvey Fishbein, an attorney known for representing mentally ill murder defendants — and prosecutors differ on the extent and implications of Hernandez's mental problems.

The defense may ask the jury to consider that police questioned Hernandez for more than six hours before reading him his rights and turning on recorders.

The defense also wants jurors to hear about longtime suspect Jose Ramos, a convicted Pennsylvania child molester. A civil court declared Ramos responsible for Etan's death after he rebuffed questioning, but he was never criminally charged and has denied involvement. Ramos has refused to testify at Hernandez's trial, saying he'd invoke his rights against self-incrimination, but some evidence about the investigation into Ramos will be allowed.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...atz-jury-selection-20150104-story.html#page=2

http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.co...cle_725708d8-4370-59a2-83ed-898361e02747.html

"Jury selection is underway for Hernandez's murder trial in 6-year-old Etan's 1979 disappearance, which helped change the nation's approach to missing-children cases.

"We have informed the defense team that we have an informant who will be testifying against the defendant," Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon told a judge before prospective jurors arrived Monday.

Prosecutors and defense lawyers would not say more about the informant, including how and when he or she got to know Hernandez. Hernandez, who will turn 54 on Tuesday, has been jailed since his May 2012 arrest."

Just randomly jumping in here....I have not read any posts or threads related to this trial, so sorry if this has been discussed already.
Peter Hernandez has recanted his confession, has he not? How can someone who has recanted be put on trial? It just doesn't make sense to me.
IMO, Hernandez is not responsible (or at least not 100%) for the kidnapping and murder of Etan. IMO, I think Ramos is responsible.

Intriguing, this article is from Feb, 2014.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ing-europe-etan-patz-report-article-1.1608830

"Is Etan Patz ALIVE? FBI questions man living in Europe if he’s the NYC boy missing since 1979
Etan went missing after he left his SoHo apartment on his way to the bus in May 1979. His body was never found but Pedro Hernandez, 52, confessed to murdering Etan in May 2012. It's unclear why the FBI is still looking for Etan if a man has been indicted for the boy's murder."

New

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbcnews.com/47558692

"NYC Police hold press conference on Etan Patz case
LIVE VIDEO — New York City Police hold a press conference to discuss the case of Etan Patz who disappeared 33 years ago"

A Look at Etan Patz Case That Fueled Missing-Child Campaign

A civil court declared Ramos responsible for Etan's death after he rebuffed questioning, but he was never criminally charged and has denied involvement. Ramos has refused to testify at Hernandez's trial, saying he'd invoke his rights against self-incrimination, but some evidence about the investigation into Ramos will be allowed.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/etan-patz-case-fueled-missing-child-campaign-28339708

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrina