GUILTY NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Question here from a brit, what now for the Presidential campaign can DT still run, no doubt there will be an appeal how will this effect a campaign when all the efforts should be on this, not looking for political debate but an understanding about how its likely to work out,tia.

Yes, Blanche said Cohen couldn’t have covered what he claimed he said to Trump and Schiller in 96 seconds. Apparently the jury believed Cohen.
We missed it in person but it was reported that the prosecutor Susan Hoffinger was brilliant and did a 96 sec rebuttal by showing the jury other admitted evidence of phone logs and other phone calls between Cohen and Trump that took less time then the 96 secs.

Question here from a brit, what now for the Presidential campaign can DT still run, no doubt there will be an appeal how will this effect a campaign when all the efforts should be on this, not looking for political debate but an understanding about how its likely to work out,tia.
My understanding is that he can still run. I'd expect that many people won't vote for a convicted felon though, even if they bought his BS earlier on.

Oh yes, he can run, and he can be a convicted felon and still be president and have access to all sensitive, high security documents. Go figure. (Canadian here btw.)

This was included in the jury instructions in the so-called "hush money" case, so yes, the judge included the violation of FEC law as a possible crime, even though we know from the FEC that it wasn't illegal.

The third “unlawful” action could be violating the Federal Election Campaign Act, meaning Cohen’s payment to Daniels was a contribution to Trump’s campaign that exceeded the legal limit—which Cohen already pleaded guilty to.
bolded
i mean this respectively, but this is why it’s hard to have discourse about an already inflammatory figure and litigation. people generally don’t understand the nuance between state and federal scopes of action.

the judge in trump’s trial did include potential violations of federal election law as part of the jury instructions. this was to provide context on why the falsified business records could be seen as attempts to conceal another crime. HOWEVER!!! the conviction was primarily based on new york state laws concerning falsifying business records, which required proving intent to defraud, not necessarily proving a specific violation of federal election law. think of it as a motivation, not a violation.

including the FEC law context in the instructions aimed to help jurors understand the potential motivations and implications behind the falsification. it’s to explain why the falsification may have happened. the jury's task was to decide if the falsifications were made with fraudulent intent, regardless of the FEC's stance on the legality of the payments themselves.

you may still think to argue — won’t it prejudice the jurors to give that information?

jury instructions often cover a range of potential legal violations to ensure the jury understands all possible legal contexts. this does not imply a predetermined outcome but encompasses comprehensive consideration of the case's nuances. it works in both the favor of both sides. the judge makes it very clear to only consider these crimes if there is substantial proof of the allegations. no different than any other instruction haha. the inclusion of federal election law context helps the jury understand the possible motivations behind the falsification but does not directly depend on a federal determination of legality.

Yes, President Trump can still run for the office of president again, but the appellate process is not likely to take place before the election. When he is sentenced on July 11th, we will know more about the conditions of his sentence, but none of the sentences are able to change the fact that he is still able to run for the office of president again. If he is sentenced to house arrest, for example, that could hamper his campaign events. Experts have said that it is unlikely that Trump would be incarcerated because this is a first offense which is nonviolent and it's very unlikely for someone with a first offense which is nonviolent to go to prison. But even if he would be incarcerated by this judge, he can still run for the office of president again. So running for the office of president again can not be taken off the table by the court system. It is also possible that the judge could pause President Trump's sentence until the appeals process is exhausted,
Probation is also an option for a first offense that is nonviolent.

Being convicted of a felony (even if temporary due to waiting on appeal and not yet reversed/overturned) does not prohibit a candidate from running for president.

If he does get house arrest, I think we'll see a lot of campaign rallies and other events at Mar-a-lago and at Trump Tower, President Trump's two residences. If there is a probation sentence, then the details of his campaign events will have to be worked out by probation officers in both New York State and Florida.

My understanding is that he can still run. I'd expect that many people won't vote for a convicted felon though, even if they bought his BS earlier on.
Oh yes they will still vote for him. They don't care if he's a convicted felon. I predict he'll be the next US president. It's all about the values he embodies... the main one being power and dominance over others which many value over compassion and offering a helping hand.

Last edited:
It's going to take a long time for the appeal process and no one knows the outcome.
Until then there's no disputing that Trump-34-45 is a convicted felon.
Trump 34-45? Of course he was convicted today.

But in my opinion it's almost certain this conviction will be overturned. JMO.

And he's also admitted that he wanted revenge because of the wrongs you mention.

Obvious motive to lie by a serial liar. JMO.
I don’t blame him one bit. But his testimony was corroborated by Pecker. They even provided two written documents about the illegal plan, which the defense foolishly refused to try and explain Trump’s side. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t blame him one bit. But his testimony was corroborated by Pecker. They even provided two written documents about the illegal plan, which the defense foolishly refused to try and explain Trump’s side. <modsnip>
The NDA was not an illegal plan.

I do agree that Cohen had a reason to seek revenge against President Trump. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, President Trump can still run for the office of president again, but the appellate process is not likely to take place before the election. When he is sentenced on July 11th, we will know more about the conditions of his sentence, but none of the sentences are able to change the fact that he is still able to run for the office of president again. If he is sentenced to house arrest, for example, that could hamper his campaign events. Experts have said that it is unlikely that Trump would be incarcerated because this is a first offense which is nonviolent and it's very unlikely for someone with a first offense which is nonviolent to go to prison. But even if he would be incarcerated by this judge, he can still run for the office of president again. So running for the office of president again can not be taken off the table by the court system. It is also possible that the judge could pause President Trump's sentence until the appeals process is exhausted,
Probation is also an option for a first offense that is nonviolent.

Being convicted of a felony (even if temporary due to waiting on appeal and not yet reversed/overturned) does not prohibit a candidate from running for president.

If he does get house arrest, I think we'll see a lot of campaign rallies and other events at Mar-a-lago and at Trump Tower, President Trump's two residences. If there is a probation sentence, then the details of his campaign events will have to be worked out by probation officers in both New York State and Florida.
Thank you.

Oh yes they will still vote for him. They don't care if he's a convicted felon. I predict he'll be the next US president. It's all about the values he embodies... the main one being power and dominance over others.
Ugh, I hope not. I keep hearing that his followers won't care but then I've also heard a lot of them say they wouldn't vote for him if he was convicted of a crime. I am trying to have faith in people here lol. We shall see!

I think the best basis for an appeal is not having the jury sequestered during deliberations. I don't know why the judge wouldn't have them sequestered. Is that common practice in NY state?

Oh yes they will still vote for him. They don't care if he's a convicted felon. I predict he'll be the next US president. It's all about the values he embodies... the main one being power and dominance over others.
I agree that he will likely win the presidential election, given the polls we are seeing. But I think that is because of his track record and voters are looking for the candidate who will best address the policy issues that they care most about.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back