GUILTY NY - Fahim Saleh, 33, millionaire tech entrepreneur, dismembered, Manhattan, 15 July 2020 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Friday, June 21st:
*Trial continues (Day 14)-CLOSING ARGUMENTS! (@ 9am ET) - NY – Fahim Saleh (33) (July 15, 2020, Manhattan) – *Tyrese Devon Haspil (21/now 24) taken into custody (7/17/20), indicted (9/16/20), charged & arraigned (10/13/20) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree murder [intention], 2nd degree grand larceny, 2nd degree burglary, concealment of a human corpse & tampering with physical evidence [conceal/destroy]. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. New York Criminal Superior Court
Trial began on 5/7/24 with jury selection (thru 5/22/24). Trial began on 5/24/24 & ended 6/21/24 with closing arguments.
Judge April A. Newbauer presiding. Assistant DA Linda Ford. Defense attorney Sam Roberts.

Murder Info & court info from 7/15/20 thru 1/4/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-5 (5/7-5/22/24) & Trial Day 1-12 (5/24-6/17/24) reference post #759 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-manhattan-15-july-2020-arrest.532329/page-38

6/18/24 Tuesday, Trial Day 13: Defense witness: Tyrese Haspil back on stand. Defense rested their case. Trial continues Friday, 6/21/24 with closing arguments.

Before Friday's closing arguments & jury deliberations.

Closing arguments:

Jury starts deliberations on Monday, 6/24.

Fahim Saleh murder jury must decide if Tyrese Haspil believed stabbing and dismembering tech CEO was 'reasonable'

He said he needed the extra money so he could buy birthday presents for Chauveau before her visa expired and she returned to France later that summer. "That was the best way I could show her that I loved her". "Well, I figured at that point I'm going to jail regardless" he told jurors. "So either I go to jail because I can't pay him back, or I go to jail for murder."
Murder, he said, was the option that would buy him the most time.

And it will also buy him the most time in prison.

This woman stole $400,000 from her employer and was sentenced to 10 months in prison.

A 32–year-old Washington woman was sentenced today … to 10 months in prison for her scheme to steal nearly $400,000 from her employer. … Trixie Dela Cruz was employed by a Renton, Washington company that administers employee benefits for employers nationwide. Within six months of her hiring and immediately after she had been promoted, Dela Cruz began her embezzlement scheme. Judge Lauren King sentenced Dela Cruz to three years of supervised release to follow the prison term, saying Dela Cruz had “abused the trust” of her employer with a scheme that “involved planning and continuous affirmative conduct.”

If you’re in New York and facing a criminal charge, your attorney might be able to use the insanity defense if you had a mental disorder at the time you committed the crime.

New York Penal Law 40.15 outlines the laws governing the defense involving lack of mental culpability.

According to the law, a defense attorney is legally allowed to use the insanity defense during prosecution if their defendant engaged in the prohibited conduct at a time when they lacked criminal responsibility because of mental disease or defect. An attorney can use such a defense if at the time a defendant committed the crime in question, they lacked substantial capacity to appreciate or know either;
. that such behavior was illegal or
. the nature and consequences of such behavior

Defense attorneys are usually expected to prove the insanity defense using the evidentiary standard. Under this standard, the burden of proof is met when an individual convinces the court that there is more than a 50% chance that their claim is true.

Generally, the insanity defense is a long-shot defense.

The Insanity Defense

Monday, June 24th:
*Trial continues (Day 15)-VERDICT WATCH! (@ 9am ET) - NY – Fahim Saleh (33) (July 15, 2020, Manhattan) – *Tyrese Devon Haspil (21/now 24) taken into custody (7/17/20), indicted (9/16/20), charged & arraigned (10/13/20) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree murder [intention], 2nd degree grand larceny, 2nd degree burglary, concealment of a human corpse & tampering with physical evidence [conceal/destroy]. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial began on 5/7/24 with jury selection (thru 5/22/24). Trial began on 5/24/24 & ended on 6/21/24.
Judge April A. Newbauer presiding. Assistant DA Linda Ford. Defense attorney Sam Roberts.

Murder Info & court info from 7/15/20 thru 1/4/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-5 (5/7-5/22/24) & Trial Day 1-13 (5/24-6/18/24) reference post #7619 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-manhattan-15-july-2020-arrest.532329/page-39

6/21/24 Friday, Trial Day 14: Closing arguments by assistant DA Linda Ford & defense attorney Sam Roberts. Udge April A. Newbauer gave jury instructions to include an EED (extreme emotional defense). Jury deliberations will begin on Monday, 6/24/24.

06/24/2024
09:00 AM Newbauer, April A.
51 Trial - Continued Trial Benkel, Vikki
Adjourned, Reports/Investigation Ordered, Tried-Found Guilty, Dismissed - Criminal

09/10/2024
09:00 AM Newbauer, April A.
51 Sentencing Adjournment

link: Case Details - Appearances

June 24, 2024

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin L. Bragg Jr. today announced the trial conviction of TYRESE HASPIL, 25, for the brutal 2020 murder of his former boss, 33-year-old tech CEO Fahim Saleh, after stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from him. On June 24, 2024, a New York State Supreme Court jury convicted HASPIL on all counts, including one count of Murder in the First Degree, two counts of Grand Larceny in the Second Degree, one count of Burglary in the Second Degree, among other charges. He is expected to be sentenced on September 10, 2024.

“Today, a jury found Tyrese Haspil guilty of brutally murdering Fahim Saleh, his former mentor and boss, after stealing approximately $400,000 from him,” said District Attorney Bragg. “Tyrese Haspil tragically cut Mr. Saleh’s life short – a man who came from a close-knit immigrant family and followed his passions to become a successful entrepreneur. I hope the accountability delivered by today’s verdict can provide a measure of comfort to Mr. Saleh’s loved ones as they continue to mourn his loss. I thank our prosecutors for their diligent and thorough work in this case that led to this conviction.”

June 24, 2024

The former assistant of slain tech mogul Fahim Saleh was convicted Monday of murdering his boss in a ritzy Manhattan high-rise — after jurors rejected his claim that he killed out of “unconditional love” for his girlfriend that he was trying to impress.

Tyrese Haspil, 25, was found guilty of first-degree murder — and now faces up to life in prison — for killing and butchering Saleh, 33, in what prosecutors called a twisted bid to hide his theft of $400,000 of Saleh’s money that the convicted killer was using to live large.
[.....]
Jurors in Manhattan Supreme Court took just three hours to convict Haspil on all charges that he’d faced for Tasing the Bangladeshi-American entrepreneur to incapacitate him, then stabbing him to death inside Saleh’s $2.4 million seventh-floor condo on East Houston Street.
[.....]
Haspil faces up to 25-years-to-life in prison when he’s sentenced on Sept. 10.

Sleazy and greedy, imo, rbbm.
1719309901676.png
''Haspil handled finances and personal matters for Saleh, whose ventures included Gokada, a ride-hailing motorcycle service in Africa. Within months of being hired in 2018, investigators said Haspil began funneling money into bogus accounts using two separate schemes, prosecutors said.

He resigned after a year but continued to embezzle funds, even after Saleh confronted him about one of the schemes in January 2020 and let Haspil repay $35,000 over a two-year period to avoid criminal prosecution.''

No surprises with this verdict but I nearly fell off my chair when I read D.A. Bragg Announces All-Count Trial Conviction Of Tyrese Haspil In Murder Of Tech CEO Fahim Saleh

HASPIL considered murdering Mr. Saleh on at least three separate occasions. In March 2020, he followed Mr. Saleh to Lagos, Nigeria with a knife. Back in New York, he followed Mr. Saleh to Hopewell Junction twice, planning to either burn his house down or stab him while he was out for a run.

There's premeditation and there's premeditation but I've never come across "at least three separate occasions". He's the devil incarnate.

No surprises with this verdict but I nearly fell off my chair when I read D.A. Bragg Announces All-Count Trial Conviction Of Tyrese Haspil In Murder Of Tech CEO Fahim Saleh

HASPIL considered murdering Mr. Saleh on at least three separate occasions. In March 2020, he followed Mr. Saleh to Lagos, Nigeria with a knife. Back in New York, he followed Mr. Saleh to Hopewell Junction twice, planning to either burn his house down or stab him while he was out for a run.

There's premeditation and there's premeditation but I've never come across "at least three separate occasions". He's the devil incarnate.

Did not know this either- wow - hopefully he will get life WITHOUT parole!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back