NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the judge issues a gag order against President Trump wouldn't that be election interference since his running for president? I think so.

Anyone running against him could bring up the charges against him and he wouldn't be allowed to respond. Definitely unfair. JMO.

Interesting point. There are so many questions surrounding this because charging a president for campaign finance violations is unprecedented.

LOL at Witch hunt.Nothing about this points to that.

I've heard that sentiment more than once now. I'm not saying it IS a witch hunt, just that if Americans think it is, they will be more likely to back him.

I was honestly hoping for a different GOP candidate this time around, but this could very well cement DT's nomination. JMOO

Unless, of course, the charges are more severe than we now think.

We'll just have to wait and see if there are more substantial charges.

If the judge issues a gag order against President Trump wouldn't that be election interference since his running for president? I think so.

Anyone running against him could bring up the charges against him and he wouldn't be allowed to respond. Definitely unfair. JMO.

I think the law is silent about this one, but I would think that if the charges are criminal ones, and if the judge wants a gag order, that Trump does not have the legal right to break the gag order. He can still talk about other things, just not the pending criminal trial.

I think he could still respond with "These charges are unfair and biased," the gag order would cover things that occur in court (evidence, proceedings, findings, etc). People are not gagged from exercising their First Amendment Rights. When, for example, LE are banned from speaking about a case, it doesn't mean they can't about their own opinions about something else.

What Trump would not be able to do is reveal court proceedings in public.

That's just my opinion on that.

IMO.

I think the law is silent about this one, but I would think that if the charges are criminal ones, and if the judge wants a gag order, that Trump does not have the legal right to break the gag order. He can still talk about other things, just not the pending criminal trial.

I think he could still respond with "These charges are unfair and biased," the gag order would cover things that occur in court (evidence, proceedings, findings, etc). People are not gagged from exercising their First Amendment Rights. When, for example, LE are banned from speaking about a case, it doesn't mean they can't about their own opinions about something else.

What Trump would not be able to do is reveal court proceedings in public.

That's just my opinion on that.

IMO.
I disagree with most of your post.

"It's a very sad time for America to go through what we're going through now," he said. "People are being divided, and they think that justice might be biased. We have to make sure that we wait to see what comes out next week, and I hope they do their job. And I’ve said this, no one's above the law, but no one should be targeted by the law, especially through the political process. So we'll just wait and see next week. I hope they are very thorough."

"It's a very sad time for America to go through what we're going through now," he said. "People are being divided, and they think that justice might be biased. We have to make sure that we wait to see what comes out next week, and I hope they do their job. And I’ve said this, no one's above the law, but no one should be targeted by the law, especially through the political process. So we'll just wait and see next week. I hope they are very thorough."
Agree.

No one is above the law, but no one is below the law either.

edited formatting

Thanks for that Ranch. The voice of reason. More from your link:

"We must come together. The American people want us to do our job," he continued. "Let's wait until what comes out next week. Let's see the direction this goes. But the bottom line is it’s a very sad time in America. You have geopolitical unrest around the world. Just think of the people who don't wish our society or our form of democracy to work, whether it be China, Russia or whoever. They're looking and saying, ‘Oh my goodness, let's just sit back and kind of watch this melee unfold.’ Well, I want to show them that as Americans, we can work together."

I'm confused?? What do you think a gag order would mean?
If there's a gag order placed on President Trump he will not be able to talk publicly about this case at all. His First Amendment rights will be limited and it will certainly affect his ability to campaign for President. JMO.

Michael Cohen on the Trump indictment: "I expect complete and total mayhem"​

"This is his worst fear: being mugshotted, fingerprinted, being referred to as a felon," he said.

Costa asked, "Trump keeps projecting confidence, but you sense fear?"

"Oh, yes. Not fear; he's petrified."

Costa asked Cohen, "Why do you think Republicans, at least many of them, keep staying with Trump?"

"They're in the cult," Cohen replied. "And I know what it's like to be in the cult.

"It's time to wash your eyes and to see exactly who Donald Trump is," he said.

"It's time to start to listen to the truth. See, that's the problem: Donald Trump doesn't tell the truth, ever. Ever. Everything that he says is either a mis-exaggeration, misinformation, disinformation, malinformation, or just a blatant lie. And that information is all done in order to benefit one person, and one person only, and that's him."

Senator Manchin's comments were very well said and balanced. I doubt that they will make any difference in how DA Braggs handles this case. JMO.

I agree with that. It won't make and difference to what Bragg does. Though you seem to have your mind made up he will not handle it properly, while I do not.

The whole world is watching. If Bragg doesn't have the evidence for the charges, then he should be condemned for bringing the case this far, but I will wait and see to decide that. ymmv

If there's a gag order placed on President Trump he will not be able to talk publicly about this case at all. His First Amendment rights will be limited and it will certainly affect his ability to campaign for President. JMO.

No, gag orders can be limited, they are generally not absolute. Personally, I don't think it matters if he is gagged, there is so much discussion from all corners already. Let him talk, it's not like everyone doesn't already know his opinion.

I agree with that. It won't make and difference to what Bragg does. Though you seem to have your mind made up he will not handle it properly, while I do not.

The whole world is watching. If Bragg doesn't have the evidence for the charges, then he should be condemned for bringing the case this far, but I will wait and see to decide that. ymmv
DA Bragg will not be condemned by the majority of MSM no matter what happens. JMO.

No, gag orders can be limited, they are generally not absolute. Personally, I don't think it matters if he is gagged, there is so much discussion from all corners already. Let him talk, it's not like everyone doesn't already know his opinion.
Honestly his attorney should advise him not to talk IMO.His mouth has always been his worst enemy.

So you think the judge will write a gag order that allows President Trump to say "These charges are unfair and biased."? I doubt it. He will say it would contaminate the jury pool and make sure that kind of speech was covered by the gag order. JMO.

Honestly his attorney should advise him not to talk IMO.His mouth has always been his worst enemy.
I was thinking the same. His downfall will not be Daniels but his big mouth. I can imagine him snowballing this into more trouble for himself, especially if he incites violence again.

Perhaps a gag order will be a blessing for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1