Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wanting2Help

Did you ever hear back on this?

I'm curious if this case is similar to a couple others I'm aware of in NYC where they know who it is but can't prove it in a way that makes then close the cases.

This case makes me a little batty. There is so much info compared to a lot of other ones......yet he is still unnamed.

Sluether87:

I agree that it could be a tribute. Nothing about him makes me feel he is not military though so I go with that. Plus he is not prone to getting tattooed and the one he has meets military regulations so it gives me a hunch that he is recently separated from the military.

Not from Captain Clifford. I emailed a few times after but never heard back from him. It appears he passed the case to another division and they were doing research and after a few emails back and forth to/from her, communication ended. I can try emailing again but its been quite a while since anyone has replied to me.

Thanks, I was just curious.

Not from Captain Clifford. I emailed a few times after but never heard back from him. It appears he passed the case to another division and they were doing research and after a few emails back and forth to/from her, communication ended. I can try emailing again but its been quite a while since anyone has replied to me.

What a shame!

Wanting2Help

Did you ever hear back on this?

I'm curious if this case is similar to a couple others I'm aware of in NYC where they know who it is but can't prove it in a way that makes then close the cases.

This case makes me a little batty. There is so much info compared to a lot of other ones......yet he is still unnamed.

Sluether87:

I agree that it could be a tribute. Nothing about him makes me feel he is not military though so I go with that. Plus he is not prone to getting tattooed and the one he has meets military regulations so it gives me a hunch that he is recently separated from the military.

Here is the link to the original post back on 02-07-2012
:)

I just received an email from Captain Clifford, II (USMC)Adjutant, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, he thanked me for my letter that I sent awhile back and he has been actively pursuing leads and it looks like they may have identified the man! He assured me he would keep me posted on any new info.

He did provide the name of this man, not sure if I can post it since they still need to investigate, proper notification needs to be made to his family, and burial arrangements need to be made.

Leatherneck magazine said they would run an ad (classified ad type thing) in the Reader Assistance area on our guy here. I assume it's in the Nov issue.

I looked at this guy a while back. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12541/0/

The last know date is off but in researching him I found three different dates so.......I'm assuming he was reported after a lapse in time and no one is certain. I can't find any other pics. Age is also off.

Southbound D would be useful to get to the path and go to Jersey City from upper Manhattan/Bronx area. Just a thought: James wears glasses and our guy has a burn mark on his nose that is the right size and in the right area if he had glasses on.

Date last seen
July 01, 1998 00:00

Age last seen
43 to 44 years old

Height (inches)
65.0 to 68.0
Weight (pounds)
130.0 to 150.0

iphone 113.jpg

Did anyone see the recent news with the guy who got pushed off the platform? That was also the southbound D train but at a Bronx station.

Frank Rich (no photo)

Case Type: Endangered
DOB: Feb 06, 1964 (3 years older than John Doe range)
Missing Date: Jun 01, 1996 (1 year before)
Age Now: 50
Missing City: Brooklyn
Missing State: NY
Case Number: Was not allowed to file a report

Race: Black
Complexion: Medium
Height: 5-11 (John Doe 5'7")
Weight: 160 (John Doe 130)
Hair Color: Black
Hair Length: Short
Eye Color: Brown
Wear Glasses or Contacts: No

Location Last Seen: In the vicinity of Bedford-Stuvesant and Crown Heights area.

Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown

Last Seen Wearing: Unknown

Identifying Marks or Characteristics: He has long scar on the left side of his face. (John Doe PM pic - above and slightly right of his left eyebrow there is a crease. IDK if that is a scar or a pm issue. The line above and to the left of his right eyebrow I assumed to be trauma from the fall.)

http://www.blackandmissinginc.com/cdad/index.cfm?MissingInfoID=650

No mention of a tattoo. If anyone happens upon a pic please post it. I'm looking but I'm not finding any.

Mention is also made of this "John Doe Case" in Reader Assistance .p.70 of MCL Magazine "Leatherneck" January 2015

Did you see the classified? I did that! I was kind of proud but I could never find a copy. :(

I heard on another thread that Leatherneck ran my ad. :happydance:

Maybe it goes nowhere but my hat is off to them for being so gracious. :)

Saw that too! Awesome work getting USMC guy out there! Every person that sees the ad is someone that could possibly identify him who wouldn't have known about the case otherwise.

I heard on another thread that Leatherneck ran my ad. :happydance:

Maybe it goes nowhere but my hat is off to them for being so gracious. :)

I can't thank you enough for doing that!! Hopefully this leads to a quick ID!

I can't thank you enough for doing that!! Hopefully this leads to a quick ID!

When I first saw this case I ignored it because I thought "Oh - with such a good pic and info he will be ID'd any day now."

A few years later he has become one of my two pet cases.

Status: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later

They changed his dental info on Namus last night. Why would they take it out?

How about reaching out to tattoo artists near Camp Pendleton?

ETA: Wrong tattoo parlor, but I am still searching....

Hmm...maybe he might be a good person to contact afterall..

How did your business get its start? "I came into town in '86, and then it was just Tattoo By Bill Claydon. I started hiring a few artists after a few years of working by myself." In 1990, he changed the name of his business to Bill Claydon's Tattoo World. He has been tattooing since 1961. His father, Buzz Claydon, was a tattoo artist who worked in Oceanside, Calif., just south of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loc...cle_eafda163-f168-54ad-b375-b0de52a6536b.html

This is the email I got regarding changes to the profile:

NamUs Case # 6814 has had changes made. You can view the case by clicking the url below

URL: https://identifyus.org/cases/6814

The following fields have been changed:
Fingerprints : Fingerprints Available changed from "entered" to "elsewhere"

Dental : Dental Available changed from "entered" to "later"

I was told by Rebel at Can you Identify Me that when a profile doesn't go up on their site it means they hit a snag with LE.

I wonder if this is the snag? I think they lost not only his fingerprints but his dentals too!? Could there be any other reasons for these changes to a profile?

This is the email I got regarding changes to the profile:

I was told by Rebel at Can you Identify Me that when a profile doesn't go up on their site it means they hit a snag with LE.

I wonder if this is the snag? I think they lost not only his fingerprints but his dentals too!? Could there be any other reasons for these changes to a profile?

I'm friends with Rebel; she doesn't have a lot of UP's on her site.

On my email it corrected the fingerprint info and change back to:

Fingerprints

I am really hoping they haven't had the wrong dentals up there for the 5 years they had him listed. Why else would they change it?

The following fields have been changed:
Fingerprints : Fingerprints Available changed from "entered" to "elsewhere"

Dental : Dental Available changed from "entered" to "later"

Fingerprints : Fingerprints Available changed from "elsewhere" to "entered"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members