Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I received an email on this dental thing from NamUs today "The dental status changed as we, NamUs, do not have actual radiographs just dental coding so we updated it to reflect what we personally have available for comparisons.".

I thanked her for her reply. :)

Could you please send them to me? Thanks

I don't have any of that info. Namus has the codes and I assume the NYC ME has the radiographs.

The Facebook page owner was contacted, but there has not been a response.

John Doe was found 18 years ago today. Hopefully this is the year he will be identified!

I'm hopeful too.

I'm looking for opinions, what would anyone say they think his upper age range is? Do we think it could be above 30?

Here is the link again for anyone who doesn't follow this thread.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6814

I'm looking for opinions, what would anyone say they think his upper age range is? Do we think it could be above 30?

Here is the link again for anyone who doesn't follow this thread.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6814

I wonder how they came up with the age range. How much over 30? Do you have someone in mind? Some people age well, he very well could be over 30.

This gentleman was entered into NamUs in June 2015.

Height, weight, and age (would be in the middle of the range in 1997) are all exact matches.

MP went missing December 17, 1993 at the age of 20 - no details in circumstances.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/29107/6

No photo, DNA, dentals, or fingerprints for the MP.

He is missing out of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin - which looks like USMC recruits ship to MCRD San Diego (along the lines of my/our thoughts about him possibly having spent time in San Diego).

This gentleman was entered into NamUs April 2015

Height (1" off the est.), weight (5lb off the est.), and age is in range on the upper end.

MP went missing September 26, 1991 at the age of 23 - also no details in circumstances.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/28408/4

No photo, DNA, dentals, or fingerprints for the MP.

I'm going to poke around and see what I can find.

I was looking to buy a USMC t-shirt for a family member and I really wanted the red one, but, when I put in the person's USMC info it kept coming up blue. So it was bugging me and I realized, after a bit, that 3rd Battalion is blue.

Which, if I want to jump to conclusions....and I often do, may explain why this tat is completely blue ink. I had wondered about that blue ink. I mean, why have such a large tat and remove all color (if it's non prison related)....especially when it's not black. Anyway, I looked up some other 3rd battalion tats and occasionally they are done in all blue.

So the t-shirt I was trying to buy was asking about unit logos (I had no clue) and so upon looking at a zillion of those, the sword in this gents tat is indicitive of (not entirely unique to, but VERY unique to) 3rd Battalion. It has the bulb on top and the ribs. A lot of the unit logos have different style swords in different positions.

Exciting stuff......:thinking:

The little explosion by the bottom of the sword is similar to EOD unit logos but not exact. The rope leaving the anchor like that is unusual and it exploding on the end is like the EOD logo except their rope comes out of a bomb.

The style of bird is more similar to unit logos dealing with flight operations than the normal everyday EGA bird. It's always been my opinion the recon info was an add on afterwards, and it is also blue. Nothing in the original work is similar to force recon unit logos, that I can find.

Only a few unit logos use the Death Before Dishonor saying, but I didn't see any glaring similarities between those images and this tat.

Overall, I think he is telling a little story here.

coveruptat.jpg

It's late and I'm tired but I was looking at the Namus pic blown up 500% on my big screen. Here is a screenshot.

Does anyone else see what I see?

Every Regiment in the Marine Corps has a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalion. They all have different unit patchs but not their own colors. The Marine Corps Colors are Red and Gold. There is no blue.

Individuals are assigned to a unit for a 2 or 3 year period, and then they get orders to a new unit. There is no life-long affiliation with a unit. If the deceased in this thread had been a RECON Marine within say a 10 year period before he died, then circulating a photo of him among the RECON community within the Marine Corps at the time that he died would likely have resulted in an ID, because it is a fairly small and tight knit community. Even if he had been a junior enlisted and got out, one if his staff NCO's would likely remember him within just a few short years. But now we are close to 20 years down the road, and it is safe to say that virtually the entire RECON community has turned over in the mean time, as has the entire Marine Corps, except for senior most officers. So circulating a photo of him among current Marines would be futile.

I know a Marine who retired about two years ago from MARSOC, which RECON falls under. I sent him the link and asked him to pass it around to anybody he knows that would have had Force RECON connections back in the 90's. Long shot but oh well.

I heard back from my buddy I forwarded the pics to. He said this went around the MARSOC community several years ago....apparently nobody recognized him.

The link with those shirts is from recruit training battalion....boot camp. So, those colors don't have siginificance in the fleet, not something you would see a Marine wearing after they were out of boot camp more than a couple weeks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal
Back