Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks apearn so at this point we don't know if he's on the list to be exhumed for DNA. Would be nice if they would

Would love if we could get pollen and isotopes too. If it was between one test I'd say isotopes

Kevin Russell is listed as a rule out. When was that put on there? I may have missed it due to some tunnel vision. :)

Anyway, I ran across this guy today: http://www.nampn.org/cases/padron_isaias.html

He's bigger in stature, older than the age range (younger than Kevin Russell though), and not a super good amazing possibility.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: 1986 from Bronx, New York
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: May 19, 1960
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 173 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Race: Black
Distinguishing Characteristics: light
brown skin, big nose, curly hair.
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Dental: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
Details of Disappearance
Isaias Morales Padron was born May 19, 1960 in Havana Cuba. He went to New York,USA in 1980. and lived on 1319 Taylor Avenue Bronx, New York. He wrote his family in Cuba regularly and told them he was working at an airport as a cab driver.
His last letter was received in 1986, saying he was moving to another state and he would write soon with his new address, but he was never heard from again.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
NAMPN

Source Information
Family of Isaias Padron

padron_isaias1.jpeg

A couple things jumped out at me.

1. He was from NYC and moving to another state when they lost contact. I don't know how many of you are military moms, but, even now with cell phones you don't always hear from your kids for weeks on end. I had one of mine go cell phone silent for 5 weeks. So far that is the longest time-frame. So going back to all snail mail days, gosh, those moms had to go easily 3 months at a clip without much/any contact.

2. Joining the armed forces here works for the Naturalization process. Both USMC graduations I went to had multiple people who became naturalized at the ceremony.

3. I hadn't really thought about those small islands down there as possible places of origin.

Kevin Russell is listed as a rule out. When was that put on there? I may have missed it due to some tunnel vision. :)

I wonder what they used to rule out Kevin Russell? The last I knew the medical examiners office could not find the actual records to compare John Doe to. It looks like Kevin only has fingerprints on file.
(I did not see the rule out listed the last time I posted here either)

Anyway, I ran across this guy today: http://www.nampn.org/cases/padron_isaias.html

He's bigger in stature, older than the age range (younger than Kevin Russell though), and not a super good amazing possibility.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: 1986 from Bronx, New York
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: May 19, 1960
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 173 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Race: Black
Distinguishing Characteristics: light
brown skin, big nose, curly hair.
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Dental: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
Details of Disappearance
Isaias Morales Padron was born May 19, 1960 in Havana Cuba. He went to New York,USA in 1980. and lived on 1319 Taylor Avenue Bronx, New York. He wrote his family in Cuba regularly and told them he was working at an airport as a cab driver.
His last letter was received in 1986, saying he was moving to another state and he would write soon with his new address, but he was never heard from again.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
NAMPN

Source Information
Family of Isaias Padron

padron_isaias1.jpeg

A couple things jumped out at me.

1. He was from NYC and moving to another state when they lost contact. I don't know how many of you are military moms, but, even now with cell phones you don't always hear from your kids for weeks on end. I had one of mine go cell phone silent for 5 weeks. So far that is the longest time-frame. So going back to all snail mail days, gosh, those moms had to go easily 3 months at a clip without much/any contact.

2. Joining the armed forces here works for the Naturalization process. Both USMC graduations I went to had multiple people who became naturalized at the ceremony.

3. I hadn't really thought about those small islands down there as possible places of origin.

He's not in NamUs so would need to be entered

I wonder what they used to rule out Kevin Russell? The last I knew the medical examiners office could not find the actual records to compare John Doe to. It looks like Kevin only has fingerprints on file.
(I did not see the rule out listed the last time I posted here either)

NamUs MP # 14338 Kevin Russell Fingerprint information is available and entered
NamUs UP # 6814 Fingerprint information is available and entered

Yes, Kevin Russell has been ruled out and apprentlt he is also on Namus.

When I looked, I didnt see it and I also didnt find him on Namus.

I emailed Namus and they informed me.

I'm thinking that the fingerprints would have come back as a match for Mr. Fielding since he served two years in prison. I could be wrong but I'd assume the FBI would have had those.Criminals have much less privacy for their prints.

NamUs says fingerprints not available for Mr. Fielding

Classito

NamUs says fingerprints not available for Mr. Fielding

I was thinking they would have come back as a match when NYC checked the JD's prints with the FBI circa 1997 since his prison time was prior to that.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. :)

Bumping him for Veterans Day.

Attachments

• Veterans Day 2016 Marine Corps Harlem-1-10.jpg
    Veterans Day 2016 Marine Corps Harlem-1-10.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 19
Has someone already posted this case to the USMC 1st Force Recon Page? Just curious.

Bumping him for Veterans Day.

So proud of you! Glad to see the story finally aired!
Still waking up, will try to do a comment with more of his info that's missing.

Woman Works To Identify Marine Who Died In Harlem Nearly 20 Years Ago - November 11, 2016 7:18 PM

The man was found on the subway tracks in Harlem on June 23, 1997.

A photo taken by the New York City medical examiner led her closer to his identity, thanks to his Marine tattoos reading “1st Force Recon” and “Death Before Dishonor.”

“I’d been looking for this tattoo for months,” Pern said. “My family would sit down and watch TV, and I’d be scrolling on Google.”

Finally, she got a hit. The tattoo was designed at a parlor in California near the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps base.

“Two things we know — the man was in Harlem and the man was in Twentynine Palms between 1994 and 1996,” she said.

Has someone already posted this case to the USMC 1st Force Recon Page? Just curious.

330 posts, lots of history. Yes, you would not believe the work a few of us have done on his case

I need to talk to my son and show him this. He went through basic training in 96 at Paris Island.

I'm thinking that if we tag/or email our local CBS stations with the story that maybe we can get more national coverage for him.

I don't know how it works but I'd assume a local CBS stations would likely be receptive to using a story from another CBS station.

I reached out to the one in San Diego. NYC is the closest one to me, but, I've been working on using Oceanside hashtags and anything like that that is close to Camp Pendleton. First Force was there so, assuming that is correct info, maybe someone in that area remembers him.

Still, he could have gone to high school/lived in any state so since we are all spread apart maybe tagging local stations on social media, or emailing them, will find his home state.

My ex husband and a couple of his friends served in the Marines in until 1989 or so, but one of his friends re-enlisted and headed out to Camp Pendleton during Dessert storm and then became a recruiter. I'm thinking if this JD was originally from NY he would have gone to boot camp at Parris Island, because my ex had told me that's where recruits from the east coast went.
I will share this on my FB page and ask them if he looks familiar or if they have any ideas. Is there a poster somewhere on the thread or a FB page for this JD I can link it to? Sorry I don't have time to look harder. Thank you in advance!

I was able to share this on FB and tag my ex & his friends. Maybe they'll have some ideas. Thanks!

Dentals have been entered, I also noticed it says Fingerprints Status: Fingerprint information is available and entered
We've been trying to find out if dentals and prints were lost with Sandy. So am happy that it seems Lori did read my emails even though she didn't answer

NamUs - UP - 1:01 AM (7 hours ago)
NamUs Case # 6814 has had changes made. You can view the case by clicking the url below

URL: https://identifyus.org/cases/6814

The following fields have been changed:
Dental : Dental Available changed from "later" to "entered"

My ex husband and a couple of his friends served in the Marines in until 1989 or so, but one of his friends re-enlisted and headed out to Camp Pendleton during Dessert storm and then became a recruiter. I'm thinking if this JD was originally from NY he would have gone to boot camp at Parris Island, because my ex had told me that's where recruits from the east coast went.
I will share this on my FB page and ask them if he looks familiar or if they have any ideas. Is there a poster somewhere on the thread or a FB page for this JD I can link it to? Sorry I don't have time to look harder. Thank you in advance!

You can share him on FB from here. All of his info is there.

I'm working on his narrative, also check out apearn's pages on Veteran Doe

Harlem Marine John Doe - Camp Pendleton: 7th Engineer Support Battalion EOD Company?

Due to some recent sharing of our other blog posting (thank you so much everyone!) it has been discovered that he would have been in Twentynine Palms, between 1994 and 1996. It is unknown if he was stationed in 29 Palms California, or, if he simply had a short visit for training or other purposes.

With the age range max of 30 his oldest year of birth may be 1967. Working with that year of birth would make him 18 in 1985. So, his likely active duty time would have been between 1985 and 1997.

Harlem Marine John Doe New York, NY - TOP CASE

1st Force Recon Tattoo EGA
1st Force Recon tattoo left upper arm.

​This EGA tattoo was done in Twentynine Palms, California between 1994 and 1996.
It possibly indicated both a connection to Force Reconnaissance and Explosive Ordinance Disposal - EOD Company.
​There is an anomaly in the tattoo above the DI in "Dishonor". I added some pics at the bottom of this page. Feel free to send me any thoughts on that.

Here are some thoughts I have about this case.

He likely spent time in Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

Based on his age range his likely dates of service would have been somewhere in the 1985- 1997 years.
He was likely very recently separated from the US Marine Corps since he is not on any AWOL lists.
7Th ESB (Engineer Support Battalion), which includes EOD Company, was deployed to Iraq and Somalia.
1st Force Recon and EOD were both in Camp Pendleton.
I have some more information/thoughts on this page: http://www.veterandoe.com/john-doe-new-york-marines.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle
Back