Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping for him since it's 20 years unidentified this month.

Can everyone share him on Facebook and list the state? I'd like to see him get shared on timelines in each state before the 23rd. Any states we miss I'll find a group in that state, like a regular housewives group or something other than a missing group.

His school friends are out there somewhere because his peer group ( 40 to 50 year olds) is a heavy demographic on both Facebook and LinkedIn. I was trying o come up with a spiffy LinkedIn graphic with his info to share but I keep getting side tracked with day to day home life issues. If anyone has any ideas for a LinkedIn graphic message me.

I shared him on Twitter and Instagram with hashtags for all 50 states, plus on Facebook in NE PA.

OK......GO SHARE!! :)

If you need his info or reconstructed image you can go to http://www.veterandoe.com/top-case.html and/or https://www.facebook.com/VeteranDoe/

I don't see a way to repost an image in this new layout. Am I missing it?

If we can get the FBI to somehow include military fingerprints in their new technology, they would be able to ID him.
I know older military fingerprint cards were lost due to a flood or fire, but these would have been from the 90s, after AFIS, so I'm wondering if they were digitized at that point. Does anyone know?

Bumping
http://www.veterandoe.com/top-case.html
attachment.php

Attachments

• veterans-day-2016-marine-corps-harlem-1-10_orig.jpg
    veterans-day-2016-marine-corps-harlem-1-10_orig.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 205
Thank you for posting that image Dot!

I'm goofing my posts here so hopefully there won't be repeats.

Anyway, I know the National Archives had a fire back in the 1973 that resulted in some records being lost. I'm not sure about any other such events at that particular place. I contacted a researcher who works there once to see if there was any shot to looking up this guy via what info we had but I never got a response.

Oh, the news reports have a nice way to share to LinkedIn. You know, without just posting an image and nothing with it.
Please do share there if you use LinkedIn.

Thank you for posting that image Dot!

I'm goofing my posts here so hopefully there won't be repeats.

Anyway, I know the National Archives had a fire back in the 1973 that resulted in some records being lost. I'm not sure about any other such events at that particular place. I contacted a researcher who works there once to see if there was any shot to looking up this guy via what info we had but I never got a response.

Guessing that they are very busy processing a backlog of destroyed documents, imo speculation.
http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...r-veterans-records-damaged-1973-fire-st-louis
[h=1]Archivists still piecing together veterans records damaged by 1973 fire in St. Louis[/h] By Mary Delach Leonard • Nov 10, 2016
attachment.php

O’Neill heads the records center’s preservation lab, which employs 15 technicians. She said they operate like a MASH unit, doing triage on the nearly 300 requests received daily for these burnt records. Often, they’re from veterans who need documentation to qualify for VA benefits, like health care. Or, they’re from families who want to bury their veterans in a national cemetery.

Some records are surprisingly intact.

“If it’s in fairly good condition, and it just needs a light brushing to get light mold off, we’ll do that and send it to a reference technician to respond to the veteran,’’ she said. “If it’s in really bad shape, we might have to do a lot of treatment work.
“Who knows what future technology will come down the line and with the use of computers and digital imaging what we might be able to come up with in the future,’’ he said.

Between 4,000 and 5,000 requests are received every day. About 45 percent of those requests are for a DD Form 214, a one-page summary of military service that is needed to quality for benefits.

Attachments

• puzzle.jpg
    puzzle.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 179
I have not been through the whole thread, but showed the tattoo to my husband. He's a retired Force Recon Marine. He said the tattoo is wrong. No true Recon Marine would use "1st" and "force" in that manner. It would say "Force Recon, 1st Battalion". Not 1st Force. I don't think he's a marine.

I hear opinions both ways on a USMC connection, and specifically the Force Recon part. Since we don't know who he is we won't know until that part of the puzzle is solved.

Share him on your social media. He was someone's baby boy once. As a group we can figure this one out.

Dentals have been entered, I also noticed it says Fingerprints Status: Fingerprint information is available and entered
We've been trying to find out if dentals and prints were lost with Sandy. So am happy that it seems Lori did read my emails even though she didn't answer

NamUs - UP - 1:01 AM (7 hours ago)
NamUs Case # 6814 has had changes made. You can view the case by clicking the url below

URL: https://identifyus.org/cases/6814

The following fields have been changed:
Dental : Dental Available changed from "later" to "entered"

You can share him on FB from here or here. All of his info is there.

I'm working on his narrative, also check out apearn's pages on Veteran Doe Fb or her blog Harlem Marine John Doe - Camp Pendleton: 7th Engineer Support Battalion EOD Company?

Harlem Marine John Doe New York, NY - TOP CASE

Apearn and I would like to do a social media push. If you share at one of the links above, let us know what state you're sharing to

Going to point my son to this thread. He was still in the USMC in 97.

I have not been through the whole thread, but showed the tattoo to my husband. He's a retired Force Recon Marine. He said the tattoo is wrong. No true Recon Marine would use "1st" and "force" in that manner. It would say "Force Recon, 1st Battalion". Not 1st Force. I don't think he's a marine.

Go to the links I left. Apearn spoke to the guy that did the main tat. I feel he is a marine but am unsure of the recon part.

Apearn and I would like to do a social media push. If you share at one of the links above, let us know what state you're sharing to

I shared from Washington

Dentals have been entered, I also noticed it says Fingerprints Status: Fingerprint information is available and entered
We've been trying to find out if dentals and prints were lost with Sandy. So am happy that it seems Lori did read my emails even though she didn't answer

NamUs - UP - 1:01 AM (7 hours ago)
NamUs Case # 6814 has had changes made. You can view the case by clicking the url below

URL: https://identifyus.org/cases/6814

The following fields have been changed:
Dental : Dental Available changed from "later" to "entered"

You can share him on FB from here or here. All of his info is there.

I'm working on his narrative, also check out apearn's pages on Veteran Doe Fb or her blog Harlem Marine John Doe - Camp Pendleton: 7th Engineer Support Battalion EOD Company?

Harlem Marine John Doe New York, NY - TOP CASE

Would really love to have him shared to every state.

Would really love to have him shared to every state.

My brother was at Camp Pendleton in the mid 80s. I plan on showing him this and the Never Forget Me FB post when I see him next week. I'll also ask that he share it with any of his former marine friends he is still in touch with. We are in California.

Omg!! I feel so stupid. My PC somehow ended up on a mobile site setting for this site and I thought it had changed formats.

I was wondering why anyone thought it was a good idea to change it like that. LOL!!

Ok, now that my brain fart is fixed...... I searched the thread and didn't see any comments on

NamUs cases:

Leonard Foster https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/29107/0
Jeffrey Lee https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/28408/0
James Turner https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/22580/69

Does anyone know if they've been submitted? I was tracking them to see if photos popped up.

I'm dotting states that I know he was shared in :)
2000px-Blank_US_map_borders-58b9d2375f9b58af5ca8a7fa.jpg

MY nephew is presently a young Major in the Marines, He has been in the US Marines since the mid 80's. I just shared it on his social media page with all his marine friends and asked them to share it. It will be shared all over the USA. Let's hope he is recognized.

MY nephew is presently a young Major in the Marines, He has been in the US Marines since the mid 80's. I just shared it on his social media page with all his marine friends and asked them to share it. It will be shared all over the USA. Let's hope he is recognized.

Thanks so much.
There's an album on Veteran Doe's FB that has the most current info for anyone wanting to share. Apearn does a wonderful job fighting for him

SO far it has gotten 5 shares in the US Marine World. One Marine sent it to the Force Recon Society for us!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back