Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Twenty years ago today was the last day this man was among us. Just after midnight tonight he was electrocuted.

Thank you for all the sharing.

It went wild and that was great!

My site refers people to contact the NamUs contacts, but, I did get a couple direct contacts.

One Marine is quite certain he served with this man and that his first name is Travis. He is going to contact other people who may have known Travis.

Another Marine contacted me and thinks he served with him as well. He thinks the last name may be Collins (no first name given). He is going to look for his cruise book and get back to me.

I went hunting in cruise books (http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/) and found a Collins (in the wrong year) who was on the Eisenhower in 1990. I'm not as crazy about that one as I am about a man named Reid who I found on the Roosevelt in 1993.Reid doesn't match up to the second Marine's unit but from what I can see in the pic it's a pretty good likeness other than weight. The man on the ship looked more muscular to me.

The hunt is still on.

Twenty years ago today was the last day this man was among us. Just after midnight tonight he was electrocuted.

Thank you for all the sharing.

It went wild and that was great!

My site refers people to contact the NamUs contacts, but, I did get a couple direct contacts.

One Marine is quite certain he served with this man and that his first name is Travis. He is going to contact other people who may have known Travis.

Another Marine contacted me and thinks he served with him as well. He thinks the last name may be Collins (no first name given). He is going to look for his cruise book and get back to me.

I went hunting in cruise books (http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/) and found a Collins (in the wrong year) who was on the Eisenhower in 1990. I'm not as crazy about that one as I am about a man named Reid who I found on the Roosevelt in 1993.Reid doesn't match up to the second Marine's unit but from what I can see in the pic it's a pretty good likeness other than weight. The man on the ship looked more muscular to me.

The hunt is still on.

20 years too long. Hopefully 21 without his name won't happen

Apearn, I'm so happy folks contacted you! Keep up the good work.

Just saw this which gives me hope that our guy may get ID'd with military prints

National database solves case of man found in Niagara River in 1994 - By Rick Pfeiffer 10 hrs ago
In 2015, when the investigation stalled again, Park Police Detective Sgt. Brian Nisbet, who had taken over the case, enlisted the help of the FBI. He also sent the case to NamUs.

In April, Nisbet submitted the Kirk Jones disappearance to NamUs as well. When he received an email from the program in May, he assumed it was related to the Jones case.

“You get an email and the (subject line) says there’s a ‘change’ in the status of your case,” Nisbet said.

When Nisbet opened the email, he learned that John Doe did, indeed, have a name.

“I was surprised it was my 1994 case that had been identified,” Nisbet said. “I wasn’t expecting that.”

The man was from Ohio. He had a family, a wife and children. Park police officials did not release the man’s identity.

“He had been kind of a drifter and the family never reported him missing,” Moriarty said.

The lack of that missing person report had hampered the attempts to identify him. NamUs, however, matched him using a fingerprint database from the man’s military service.

Bumping - because it's likely another Christmas he will be unidentified but I'm kind of stubborn on this one so I'm keeping the faith.

I totally had forgotten about this case. Happy to see him again, and here's to hoping he gets a name soon.

Rest in Paradise.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Earlier in the year I saw a lot of old cases for military personnel who were missing getting added to namus. I thought it might be because the FBI was going through military records because of the Rasmussen case and found others they wanted run through the system as well.

A woman contacted me and thought she may have worked on a base with this John Doe. It was interesting that she thought his name may have been Travis because that is the same name I got from someone else back in June (see post #379).

I told her she could contact NYC ME, NYPD, or NCIS. She is going to look and see if she has any photos.

A woman contacted me and thought she may have worked on a base with this John Doe. It was interesting that she thought his name may have been Travis because that is the same name I got from someone else back in June (see post #379).

I told her she could contact NYC ME, NYPD, or NCIS. She is going to look and see if she has any photos.

That sounds hopeful! Fingers crossed.

I'm getting a permission error on his Namus profile.

Do they go down for maintenance, or, is this a good sign?

It sounds very promising! I spent countless hours on this case several years ago, along with many others. He has never been forgotten.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for hitting me up. His profile is gone. I could cry. I'm sure I will when it hits me.

Omg, I hope he has his name back. I’m choking up a little bit right now. Hopefully we hear more soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed... I have just read through the whole thread and a number of you have worked so hard to ID this man over the years, so I hope this is the outcome you have been working towards!

Sadly, Rose, we may never know. Heavy sigh.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack B
Back