NY NY - Ian Burnet, 22, New York City, 26 Dec 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Where on the map was the Burger King in relation to the apartment and the Train Station on 145th Street? Doesn't LE know the time relationship between the Burger King charge and the MetroCard being used? Both those would seem to help build a better timeline.

I am Ian’s dad. My two friends, John and Kevin, have brought me back home to Virginia after visiting NYC for the past several days.

I have no news, except that everyone who can help has done so, and I am very grateful. I wish to thank those in the public media who have supported our search.

http://www.findianburnet.com/latest-news/

Mr Burnet, I would just like to tell you that our hearts are with you. God bless you and your family. I speak for myself and the posters here (longtime lurker but rare poster) when I say each and every piece of info posted here is analyzed repeatedly. I wish you and your family the best and hope Ian is located safe & sound...and I'm glad you posted here. This is an excellent investigative forum. Wishing you the best...:)

Mr Burnet, I would just like to tell you that our hearts are with you. God bless you and your family. I speak for myself and the posters here (longtime lurker but rare poster) when I say each and every piece of info posted here is analyzed repeatedly. I wish you and your family the best and hope Ian is located safe & sound...and I'm glad you posted here. This is an excellent investigative forum. Wishing you the best...:)

I'm sorry...I thought I indicated that this was from an article, I think froma website. I meant to be clearer and I guess I didnt edit it as I should have. Now I see that it was misleading because it was an interview for the public, not specifically WS...sorry :blushing:

My bad, nosysw. I didn't put two and two together when you posted the link. My apologies...

I wonder if Ian and the room mates had a falling out. Maybe they all were going to go to New Year's eve celebration and for some reason the girls opted out to hang out with him. Maybe he left to clear his head or maybe go up towards where New Years celebration was early to check it out. What if he got on the wrong train?

Or he could have just went out to ride the train to clear his head. Instead of walking around he figured being on the train would be safer. NOT!

Doesn't the train stations have video camera's? My gosh, what is wrong with the NYC detectives!

Since Ian appeared to take the train north...where others suggest there isn't anything that would attract a tourist, it seems to me that the following are the most likely scenarios:

1) suicide - he's a brilliant person, who is travelling with people he is not that close to. Perhaps his loneliness got the better of him in a large, impersonal city.

2) he headed out to hook up with someone. Why go so far afield? It would likely have been a stranger. Is it possible that Ian is gay, and just hadn't come out of the closet? I presume that once in university and away from your old high school friends you might have more flexibility to explore this avenue in private. Did he hook up with someone on Craigslist?

3) involved getting drugs - either drug deal gone wrong or mugged as headed to/from a rough location. I think this scenario is unlikely. Wouldn't they have just left him there? Wouldn't he have been found by now?

4) taking 'a break'. I hope this is the case, but where would he go? Who would he be with?

I desperately hope that Ian comes home safely to his family. I have sons his age and I cannot imagine the strain on his loved ones. :(

Thinking of you Ian.

My bad, nosysw. I didn't put two and two together when you posted the link. My apologies...

:seeya: Not at all. I didn't cite properly.

@ Snoopster: I think these are all good avenues of thought. Unfortunately, I find #4 to be the least likely (JMO) but the one I wish were the case.

I glanced through the thread and don't see links to the original posts by Ian's brother Jaimie on reddit.com

I think some of the questions in this thread may be answered by his posts.

His Submissions

http://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/o3wnd/my_little_brother_has_been_lost_in_new_york_city/

http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/o9jof/it_has_now_been_10_days_since_my_little_brother/

Ian belonged to reddit too. His profile is listed in his brother's post.

There is also another thread in a subforum of that site where people go to discuss smoking marijuana.

I hesitate to post this; but it is a public forum and may provide helpful information in the search for him. It is not meant, in any way, to minimize or create a spirit of judgment on the tragedy of this young man having gone missing.

There is a post on that FB page in the last hour or so that says the parents have asked that no one do anything for now??

There is a post on that FB page in the last hour or so that says the parents have asked that no one do anything for now??

Duly noted. Thanks for that heads up.

ETA: Now that I look closer at the comment on FB, it appears that it relates to creating an image of Ian with short hair (in case he doesn't want to be found and decided to change his appearance). I could understand their reluctance at that.

Duly noted. Thanks for that heads up.

ETA: Now that I look closer at the comment on FB, it appears that it relates to creating an image of Ian with short hair (in case he doesn't want to be found and decided to change his appearance). I could understand their reluctance at that.

I don't understand. Isn't finding him the goal? :waitasec:

I want to know why those girls he was staying with are being uncooperative (according to Ian's brother Jamie).

I think about what I would do if someone I knew went missing. Even if I barely knew them & just perhaps had a class with them at school & even if my grasp of their language wasn't that great ... I think I'd be pounding the streets with his family. At the very least, I'd be in constant contact with them. Contrast their apparent (lack of) response to that of N.Y. reddit users who are complete strangers offering to comb Central Park & the subways for Ian.

So, what's with the uncooperative girls? Do they not understand how serious the situation is? Do they not care? Or is it something more sinister?

Maybe that's a red herring but it still annoys me to no end. Karma.

One thing I noticed in Jamie's initial reddit post is that halfway through he refers to Ian in the past tense. I don't suspect Jamie of a thing but it certainly makes me think about other cases that get analyzed to death when a 'suspect' makes the same slip. Oh and that reddit site is like stepping into another world ...

Ian's book-smart but perhaps not so street-smart. He's good-looking. He's young. He's in a city foreign to him. Could he have been naive enough to meet a stranger? Did he reach out to someone online? I think he could've been desperate enough, since he felt alienated and alone. I hope he didn't feel so lonely that he jumped off the GWB.

I keep going back to the pst on the reddit sight, which said that Ian wanted to buy some acid... So I'm guessing he had some cash on him... and really, if this is true,anything could have happened to him... MOO

@ LadyL...just like the Brittnee Drexel case (as someone mentioned earlier). She was only 17 and the "friends" actually travelled with her. Yet, when whatever happened went down, they did basically nothing and have never really spoken out or kept contact with her mother.

You never know if they might have been involved, or whether they were ALL involved in some kind of illegal activity (drugs or such) that they don't want to be held accountable for. So sad, that avoiding personal responsibility would trump finding someone who is missing (and/or helping to bring a desperate family closure).

I keep going back to the pst on the reddit sight, which said that Ian wanted to buy some acid... So I'm guessing he had some cash on him... and really, if this is true,anything could have happened to him... MOO

I strongly suspect (and fear) that this is the case...acid, or whatever. Seems like he went looking for something and, as you said, anything can happen when you're moving through unfamiliar neighborhoods in NYC.

Thinking of Ian tonight but can't find any new news. I hope he is found soon.

This just saddens me. Is anyone looking for this young man?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
insanecobain
Back