NY NY - Irondequoit, WhtFem 14-23, 122UFNY, skeletal in shallow grave, front teeth overlap, Jul'88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The recent article contained much additional info that was not available before. It says that the body was actually in the back yard of the residence on Bay Knoll Road. My previous assumption was that she was in the gully behind the Bay Knoll Road property. The embankment between the residence and the gully is very steep and wooded, and the gully is very swampy. Nobody would have dragged a body through the swampy area, and up a very steep and heavily wooded embankment into the back yard. The body must have gotten there through the property, and I would presume, with the knowledge of the resident of that property.

Last edited:
The video states that mps have been ruled out through dentals and DNA. Does this mean LE have finally managed to optain a DNA profile on her now? Several women on her ruleout list only have DNA in as identifiers, so I have wondered about this for a while.

As for dentals, I took a screenshot from IJD's early clay model in the video. Her skull seemed to have lost their front teeth, but they were probably found in that shallow grave with her.
From NCMEC Provides New Facial Reconstruction for NY Jane Doe Found in 1988
The Irondequoit Jane Doe’s remains have been tested for DNA in recent years with the help of the Monroe County Office of the Medical Examiner, according to the Irondequoit Police Department. A DNA profile from the remains was entered into the national database, but has so far not turned up any matches.

Carlk,

I remember when you posted that map....

Im glad they clarified everything.

Some of the folks on here have some pretty good background on the neighborhood and past residents.

I would be shocked if this turns out not to be connected to one of those characters.

The only thing that doesn't quite square up with me is that disposing of a body, in your back yard doesn't seem "professional".

If a seasoned bad guy did this...... they must have done so out of pure necessity.

Thinking about the erosion control work--it might be that the person who left the body took advantage of work that was already under way. I don't know about the Rochester area, but the mob in New England often disposed of somebody that way.

DoeNetwork has updated Irondequoit Jane Doe's page:

122UFNY
122UFNY2.jpg
122UFNY4.jpg
122UFNY1.jpg
122UFNY5.jpg
122UFNY6.jpg

Reconstructions of the victim; close up of teeth.

Date of Discovery: July 31, 1988
Location of Discovery: Irondequoit, Monroe County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 10-30 years prior (1958-1978)
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined, considered suspicious

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 14-23 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 4'10" to 5'5"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: No signs of prior trauma or injury.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Significant dental restorations using gold foil at 7, 8, 9, 10. Front teeth overlapped.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: None.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: Four white buttons were found at the time of recovery.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's skeletal remains were located in a shallow grave behind 130 Bay Knoll Drive. She was discovered by young boy who was digging at the rear of his property.

The area is adjacent to Irondequoit Bay. The yard backs up to a steep hill overlooking a valley.

She had been buried head-first in the grave. Authorities have classified her death as suspicious.

Further testing is underway to estimate how long ago she died and where she possibly originated from.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Robert Zerby
Agency Phone Number: 585-753-5905 or 585-753-5914
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 88-01132

Agency Name: Irondequoit Police Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 585-336-6016
Agency E-Mail: crimetip(at)troopers.state.ny.us
Agency Case Number: 65539

NCIC Case Number: U340558028
NamUs Case Number: 2607
NCMEC Case Number: 110680

Information Source(s)
NamUs
NCMEC
New York State Troopers
WHEC
Democrat and Chronicle
Monroe County Medical Examiner

(there's one more picture in the link)

Here is the Comparison/Exclusion List for Irondequoit JD, thought I would post since Carbuff had mentioned her in the Denise Beaudin thread.

MP11936 - Barbara Aleksivich
10/03/1973
Steuben, NY

MP2386 – Lynn Bandringa
05/29/1967
San Bernardino CA

Ingrid Bauer

MP7081 – Bonita Bickwit
07/27/1973
Sullivan NY

MP5860 – Marie Blee
11/21/1979
Routt CO

MP20107 – Mary Bostwick
07/18/1972
Tioga NY

MP19076 – Sandra Breed
05/22/1964
Madison NY

MP7828 – Niki Britten
07/16/1969
Linn OR

MP10968 – Linda Britton
06/11/1963
Guernsey OH

MP3070 – Judith Brown
04/06/1977
Queens NY

MP11582 – Barbara Bruno
08/01/1980
Monroe NY

MP7592 – Rosemary Buck
08/11/1973
Onondaga NY

MP4532 – Cynthia Constantine
07/11/1969
Suffolk NY

MP5665 – Charlotte Heimann
10/30/1981
Monroe NY

MP5669 – Lynn Luray
08/17/1964
Los Angeles CA

MP7574 – Sylvia Lwowski
09/06/1975
Richmond NY

MP4646 – Robyn Pettinato
07/05/1975
Flathead MT

MP26000 – Mary Robinson
06/10/1976
Monroe NY

MP5533 – Denise Sheehy
07/07/1970
Queens NY

MP3259 – Sheryl Tillinghast
09/24/1973
Dutchess NY

MP4608 – Rebecca Triska
09/19/1958
Beaver PA

MP2876 – Mary Wesolowski
08/18/1971
Warren NY
One new rule-out:

MP7266
Judy Martins
05/24/1978
Portage, OH

Thinking about the erosion control work--it might be that the person who left the body took advantage of work that was already under way. I don't know about the Rochester area, but the mob in New England often disposed of somebody that way.
During that time, I remember there being a Ukraine/ Russian / Italian Mob presence.. But anything growing up pertained to hits on people that ran shops or were in organized crime itself.. @Falling Down layed it out perfectly..

Last edited:
Just a little history repeating from post #200 for those who needs it:

1936: 77 Newport Road was build.
The early 1960s: The property belonged to Lt. Col. Albert W. Lathrop.
It's unknown when det. William Mahoney moved in.
1964: 130 Bay Knoll Road was build on a former fruit orchard. WW2 veteran and police officer Roland Liquory + family lived here in the 60s (and I suspect also the 70s, or at least parts of it).
I don't know when the Przygodas moved in.
1977: Convicted mobster Albert DeCanzio was hired by det. Mahoney to fix "erosion problems" in the latter's backyard at 77 Newport Road.
1988: Jane Doe was discovered by 12-year old Richard Przygoda. 95% of her was recovered, and she had been buried in a head-first, bent-over position in the ground.

--------------

Now, considering the house placements and the residents of the houses at the time, I kinda get the feeling the perp knew they were hiding Jane Doe right under LE's noses, and that they therefore had chosen the perfect spot to get away with murder, whether or not the murderer(s) was/were members of the LE, gangsters, or others.

And yes, I also find that "excavation work" in det. Mahoney's backyard by a mob informant highly suspicious, tbh!
Too bad neither Mahoney nor Liquory were around anymore to be questioned when Jane Doe was discovered in 1988; they both passed away in 1981.

130 Bay Knoll Road was build on a former fruit orchard.
I've been reading more about the history in area of discovery lately, about the orchards, vineyards, and wineries. Not sure if it leads me anywhere, though. It seems like many streetnames have been changed through time.

Taken from the Irondequoit Centennial Album 1839 -1939, page 39:

IRONDEQUOIT VINEYARDS AND WINERIES
It is believed that the first winery in all Western New York (including the famous Finger Lakes region) was established in Irondequoit in 1830, by Joseph Vinton, who also operated a sawmill at Newport, which he converted into the present Newport House ten years later. Mr. Vinton planted the first vineyard on the high hill overlooking Newport, and nearby erected the first winery—long known as the Irondequoit Wine Company. The site and some of the old buildings now are occupied by the Irondequoit Fruit Juice Company, makers of "Irondequoit" brand grape juice, ginger ale and other "soft" drinks. Joseph and Charles H. Vinton (grandsons) reside on Walzer Road. In 1860 Asa D. McBride purchased the Vinton winery, operating it as the Irondequoit Wine Company until 1915. But most distinguished of Irondequoit vintners was Samuel Dubelbeiss, who came to the United States in 1839, from Switzerland, where his family had been operating vineyards and wineries at Schintznach, back as far as the 14th Century. He established the long-famous Dubelbeiss wine cellars on the south side of Ridge Road, between Portland and Culver, where the old cobblestone buildings were a landmark until very recent years. The winery was converted into a fruit juice factory and cannery in 1909. A garage, partially constructed of the old stone, now occupies the site. The Dubelbeiss family home adjoined the winery, and a grandson, Louis J. Dubelbeiss, still lives on the site. He was Supervisor of Irondequoit for ten years, from 1908 to 1918.
It seems like most of the orchards, wineries, and vineyards in Irondequoit called it quits in the mid 20th century when the areas were developed into residential neighbourhoods and to make room for expressways and roads.

Last edited:

Pretty much lines up with what I'm thinking.

I'm very familiar with parts of the western side of the bay, walking, hiking, and some years ago working along there doing minor "erosion control" projects for homeowners. I don't know the east side of the bay as well.

Tryon Park (south of where the body was found) lies between Rochester, Irondequoit, Penfield, and Brighton. There are other parks along the creek and the west side of the bay. During times of heavy rain and when snow melts and it rains in the Spring time, that side of the bay sees a tremendous amount of runoff, like a "drain" into the bay, of sorts. The city also has untreated sewage which ends up in the bay from at least two points, one in Tryon Park. Pretty nasty after heavy rains.

The ravines in the town, which are mainly in western Irondequoit, also act as drains into the river and Lake Ontario. We did some erosion projects along those, too.

Until I saw the maps on this thread I'd forgotten Newport Rd. is the only way to drive into and out of that little area of that town, and that it ends up at Ridge Rd. It's the same for little neighborhoods above the bay on that side, and residential roads along the west side of the bay, down close to it. Often times one way in and out.

I can picture a scenario where the victim was put there while the "erosion project" was being done, with or possibly without Mahoney's knowledge.

Sharing merely to illustrate how bad the mob wars got in Rochester in the 70's and early 80's, "strongman" Thomas Torpey dead from complications from a fall earlier this month.

After he was convicted in '85, I became friends with one of his sons. I was too young to understand the mob stuff and the fact that his dad was shipped off for a 25 year stint in federal prison on RICO and other charges. These were some very bad, nasty people. Torpey and Taylor hired notorious NYC hit man/serial killer Joseph "Mad Dog" Sullivan for a hit at one point, in front of the Blue Gardenia restaurant.

I share this mob stuff merely to point out that anything is possible with IJD.

Thomas Torpey, former Rochester mob bodyguard, dies

Bumping the thread with a wee theory:

I wonder if Rory Gene Kesinger had any contact with the Rochester mob, or was involved with them somehow? According to her NamUs page, she disappeared in May 1973 after escaping the Plymouth County Correctional Facility in Massachusetts. Could she have had connections with the mob, but then things went sour, and they decided to get rid of her? Her WS thread cites this reference:
...At 15, she [Rory Kesinger] ran away from home -- police won't say where that home was -- and already had a record in several states when she landed in Massachusetts. She was allegedly a drug user involved in running guns and drugs, tied in with bank-robbing accomplices, police said.

"She was wanted all across the country at that time," said Tobias.
Also, "...Kesinger ran with a tough crowd. She had pulled a weapon on a police officer during a bank robbery. She also had been arrested for pulling a gun on a case worker and police officer after being brought to a hospital because she was high on drugs, White said.

Her accomplices in the bank robberies include a man later killed by an FBI agent in a shootout during a bank robbery, White said. Another is serving a prison sentence in the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Conn., for bank robbery." Rory was clearly a troubled soul who ran with the wrong crowd; could she at some point after her escape have come across a crowd that eventually ended up causing her death?

As of 2018, Rory's identifiers in NamUs were just fingerprints, but a DNA sample from her mother was available elsewhere (I wonder if it has been submitted in system by now?); Irondequoit Jane Doe's identifiers are DNA and dentals, so unless Rory's DNA is submitted by now, there might not be an hit in the databases. Their stats are adding up (a few things are slightly off, but still within reach).

Rory Gene Kesinger's WS thread:
MA - MA - Rory Gene Kesinger, 24, Plymouth, 27 May 1973

This reminds me of the Tammy Jo Alexander case, for one simple reason: The strong possibility that a missing persons report may not have been filed for this UID, especially if they were, indeed, 18-19 years old. Even if they were a tad younger a report may not have been filed, considering the time frame involved.

The UID case in North Collins, NY, comes to my mind as well, most likely "mob-related" and the grave was a bit crude:

NY - NY - North Collins, Male Skeletal Remains buried off Gowanda Rd, Jun'17

I'd be curious to know the name(s) of the builder(s) of that post-war neighborhood where IJD was found, I believe that like the North Collins case we're talking some mob connection of some sort. here, and the answer(s) may lie in not only nearby property ownership, but people and possibly companies that did work there or nearby.

Bumping with a kinda masterpost compiled from the information in post #200 and #221.

The timeline

1964: 130 Bay Knoll Road was build on a former fruit orchard. There was also wineries and vinyards in the area. WW2 veteran and police officer Roland Liquory + family lived here in the 60s (and I suspect also the 70s, or at least parts of it).
1977: Convicted mobster Albert DeCanzio was hired by det. Mahoney to fix "erosion problems" in the latter's backyard at 77 Newport Road.
1981: Both Liquory and Mahoney passes away.
1988: Jane Doe was discovered by 12-year old Richard Przygoda. 95% of her was recovered, and she had been buried in a head-first, bent-over position in the ground.

About 130 Bay Knoll Road

The house was built in 1964 on what used to be a fruit orchard (peaches, to be more specific). In the 60s, the Liquory family used to live there; they probably moved in when the house stood finished, but I haven't found any info on that, when they moved out, nor when the Przygodas moved in.

Clipping from Democrat and Chronicle - Newspapers.com

Roland Liquory was a WW2 veteran and a police officer. The son of the house was Ronald Jay Liquory, a Class of 1968 graduate from Eastridge High School. I found a Facebook group, as well, but they haven't posted anything in 7-8 years.

About the Neighbourhood: 77 Newport Road

77 Newport Road was built in 1936. In the early 60s, the property belonged to Lt. Col. Albert W. Lathrop. I haven't found out when det. William Mahoney moved in. The property history/taxes only goes back to 1995.

About William Mahoney and Albert DeCanzio

In the 70s, the Sheriffs Department's had a crackdown on organized crime, which Chief of Detectives William Mahoney called "Operation Step-Up". The arrest and conviction of Albert DeCanzio was the first major conviction to come out of this operation.

irondequoit jane doe - Newspapers.com

During his 28 month stay in Monroe county jail, DeCanzio was first a mob informant, and then an informant against sheriff's detectives. It eventually turned out that evidence for the Mafia trials in the mid-70s had been fabricated, and Mahoney was heavily involved.

Mahoney joined the Rochester Police Department in 1952 and retired in 1973 to become Monroe County Sheriff William Lombard's top detective. He was told to concentrate on the Mafia, and he became the first law enforcement officer in the country whose investigations led to the 1976 convictions of top Mafia leaders for murder. Later, those six convictions were overturned when it was revealed evidence used at the trials was fabricated. On Dec. 21, 1980, Mahoney was convicted in U.S. District Court of conspiracy to violate the civil rights of 16 suspects. He was found guilty of helping to make up evidence against the six suspects in his investigation of the gangland slaying of Vincent "Jimmy" Massaro. He was fined $2,000. Ten months earlier, he had finished serving four months in jail after pleading guilty to official misconduct stemming from an incident that led to his suspension and resignation. He had admitted he allowed two Monroe County Jail inmates to do excavation work at his Irondequoit home.

About the excavation work at 77 Newport Road in 1977

DeCanzio told federal law enforcement officials that, while in custody June, 1977, he operated a bulldozer in the backyard of Monroe County Sheriff's Chief of Detectives William C. Mahoney, reliable sources said. The excavation work he reportedly did behind Mahoney's house at 77 Newport Road, Irondequoit, was to help stop erosion on a steep embankment near Irondequoit Bay. (...) Sheriff William Lombard said he'd also heard "talk circulating that DeCanzio was driving a bulldozer at the chief's house." "I talked to the chief and the chief categorically denied that to me and I accepted that," Lombard said. State law forbids the use of prisoners for personal gain, but the practice doesn't appear to violate any federal statute.

The discovery of Irondequoit Jane Doe

CW: There's a PM picture of IJD's skull in one of the clippings linked under. Nothing too gross, but a warning nevertheless.

The skull and 9 (later corrected to 12) bones were discovered by 12-year old Richard Przygoda about 40 feet behind the house, and eventually 95% of her body was uncovered. She had been buried in a bent-over position in the ground.

Sources and more clippings at:

Clippings - Newspapers.com

Last edited:
Bumping with a kinda masterpost compiled from the information in post #200 and #221.

The timeline

1964: 130 Bay Knoll Road was build on a former fruit orchard. There was also wineries and vinyards in the area. WW2 veteran and police officer Roland Liquory + family lived here in the 60s (and I suspect also the 70s, or at least parts of it).
1981: Both Liquory and Mahoney passes away.

About 130 Bay Knoll Road

The house was built in 1964 on what used to be a fruit orchard (peaches, to be more specific). In the 60s, the Liquory family used to live there; they probably moved in when the house stood finished, but I haven't found any info on that, when they moved out, nor when the Przygodas moved in.

Roland Liquory was a WW2 veteran and a police officer. The son of the house was Ronald Jay Liquory, a Class of 1968 graduate from Eastridge High School. I found a Facebook group, as well, but they haven't posted anything in 7-8 years.

About the Neighbourhood: 77 Newport Road

77 Newport Road was built in 1936. In the early 60s, the property belonged to Lt. Col. Albert W. Lathrop. I haven't found out when det. William Mahoney moved in. The property history/taxes only goes back to 1995.

About William Mahoney and Albert DeCanzio

In the 70s, the Sheriffs Department's had a crackdown on organized crime, which Chief of Detectives William Mahoney called "Operation Step-Up". The arrest and conviction of Albert DeCanzio was the first major conviction to come out of this operation.

During his 28 month stay in Monroe county jail, DeCanzio was first a mob informant, and then an informant against sheriff's detectives. It eventually turned out that evidence for the Mafia trials in the mid-70s had been fabricated, and Mahoney was heavily involved.

About the excavation work at 77 Newport Road in 1977

DeCanzio told federal law enforcement officials that, while in custody June, 1977, he operated a bulldozer in the backyard of Monroe County Sheriff's Chief of Detectives William C. Mahoney, reliable sources said. The excavation work he reportedly did behind Mahoney's house at 77 Newport Road, Irondequoit, was to help stop erosion on a steep embankment near Irondequoit Bay. (...) Sheriff William Lombard said he'd also heard "talk circulating that DeCanzio was driving a bulldozer at the chief's house." "I talked to the chief and the chief categorically denied that to me and I accepted that," Lombard said. State law forbids the use of prisoners for personal gain, but the practice doesn't appear to violate any federal statute.

The discovery of Irondequoit Jane Doe

CW: There's a PM picture of IJD's skull in one of the clippings linked under. Nothing too gross, but a warning nevertheless.

The skull and 9 (later corrected to 12) bones were discovered by 12-year old Richard Przygoda about 40 feet behind the house, and eventually 95% of her body was uncovered. She had been buried in a bent-over position in the ground.

Sources and more clippings at:

Wow-who would have buried her there besides Mahoney and/or DeCanzio?

Wow-who would have buried her there besides Mahoney and/or DeCanzio?
@carbuff had a good theory in post #227. Anyone who knew there was erosion control work going on, could've disposed of her. We must not forget that IJD wasn't found in Mahoney's backyard, but in the backyard of 130 Bay Knoll Drive. I do not know how far into the neighbouring properties the work extended to.

I am also uncertain of how much, if anything at all, sleuthing I can do and post here on the residents at that address at the time and remain in accordance with WS ToS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ickem916
Back