Identified! NY - Jamaica Bay, remains found on island, Dec'12 - Name withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting, i live not to far from where the body was found and i haven't heard of anything. The only UID found was in October but this happened right before Hurricane Sandy and we were hit hard so most of LE was involved in evacuating, etc. i will look into this.

also, the area over there is far away from Staten Island, bodies usaully do not travel that far if they jumped in Staten island waters. I will contact a few friends i have in the NYPD and see what i can find, no promises but i will do my best.

The FULL newsreport from Dec 27, 2012, has now been released (until yesterday one had to be a subscriber to the newspaper to read the full report but after 14 days the FULL report is released) So here it is:

http://www.canarsiecourier.com/news...emains_On_Island_Off_Canarsie_Pier_Ident.html

Quote:
Skeletal Remains On Island Off Canarsie Pier Identified By Dara Mormile
The family of an 18-year-old girl who went missing two years ago can now feel some sense of closure. Recently, detectives from the 69th Precinct, along with officials from the city’s Medical Examiner’s Office, positively identified skeletal remains that were found on a deserted island less than a mile from Canarsie Pier on Tuesday, December 4th.

According to reports, a retired police officer went to Canarsie Pol, an uninhabited island in Jamaica Bay, where his boat had washed ashore after Hur-ricane Sandy. While recovering his vessel, he stumbled across bones and immediately called police.

The NYPD’s Harbor Patrol Unit responded and 69th Precinct police rushed to Canarsie Pier but they had to return the following day due to foggy conditions in the bay. When police arrived at the island, the girl’s wallet, including identification, were found next to the remains, which were then sent to the city Medical Examiner’s office.

Quote:
No criminal activitiy was suspected but sources say she was possibly suicidal. Her name has not been released.

unless she had a boat, I don't know how the deceased could have gotten to the island to commit suicide. since they are not releasing her name, I assume that is the last we are going to hear anything from the authorities.

With the flooding from Sandy, would it be possible that the body washed ashore?

With the flooding from Sandy, would it be possible that the body washed ashore?

Were they full or partial skeletal remains?

If she died in 2011 close to when she disappeared, her remains would have been in an advanced state of decomposition by October 2012 and there might not have been an actual intact body to be washed ashore as a whole anymore but separate skeletal body parts that might have ended up scattered here and there.

it would seem nearly impossible for a storm to have swept both her body and her identification onto the same little island. my reading of prior posts is that her wallet and ID were found NEAR her body, not in her pockets.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back