Found Deceased NY - Janet Barra, 57, Medford, Suffolk County, 5 June 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

madamx

Reaction score
https://lostandfound.revealnews.org.../1900&end_date=12/31/2017&missingperson=38861

22586722_1501187631.5802_funddescription[1].jpg

Date last seen
June 5, 2017
Age last seen
57 years old
Sex
Female
Race
White
Ethnicity
Unsure
Nickname/Alias

Circumstances:
Security video from June 5 shows Janet driving her car into a parking lot on Route 112 in Medford around 9 a.m. She gets out of the car with a bag in her hand. Locks her purse (with all identification), cell phone and walked away.

City last seen
Medford
County last seen
Suffolk
State last seen
New York

Weight
190 to 210 lbs
Height
66 to 68 inches
Hair color
Black
Head hair
Dark Brown/Black. Is known to wear wigs and hats. Looks very Italian (deep olive skin with dark to purpleish lips)
Body hair

Facial hair

Left eye color
Brown
Right eye color
Brown

Clothing
Dark gray long sleeve top, black pants
Footwear

Jewelry

Accessories
blue and black bag

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/38861/

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/missing/#/missing-vulnerable-adult/1239

22586722_1501187726.0386_funddescription[1].jpg

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/mis...l-minutes-mom-janet-barra-disappeared-n822701

Missing in America Nov 20 2017, 5:53 pm ET
Daughter pieces together final minutes before mom Janet Barra disappeared

I was her best friend,” Rebecca Barra told Dateline. “We talked every day, all the time.”
Sunday June 4, 2017 was no exception. Rebecca bought the coffee. She drove to where Janet, a U.S. Navy veteran, was working. Just like normal.
But this time, Janet wasn’t there.
“They told me she was a no-show,” Rebecca said. “So I went to her apartment. Her car wasn’t there, but her blinds were up and her lights were on.”
It was raining hard that day, Rebecca recalled to Dateline, but she walked to the open window and looked inside.
“I’m immediately mortified, because everything is gone besides her furniture,” Rebecca said. “Pictures of me, little vases, things on top of her dressers – gone.”

Rebecca said she began driving around town and searched for the rest of the day. Janet’s phone was going straight to voicemail. But later that day, Rebecca’s phone finally buzzed. It was a text from Janet.
“She said she forgot to charge her phone but she was going to rent a room from a lady she met at church,” Rebecca told Dateline. “Then she said she couldn’t talk right now, but she’d call later.”
The hours passed. Janet never called. Rebecca tried her cell; once again, it was dead and went straight to voicemail.
As Rebecca’s worries grew, her own investigative efforts kicked into high gear. She posted on Facebook asking people to look out for her mom and her mom’s car.
Ten days later, her efforts paid off when a friend called and said she was parked next to Janet’s car in a nearby parking lot in Medford, New York.

“I immediately went to find her car. It was unlocked, but her purse, wallet, cell phone, debit card and everything else was still in it,” Rebecca told Dateline. “So I went down the road, store by store, and asked to look at their security footage.”
The footage shows Janet, 58, walking away from her parked car at 9:04 a.m. on June 5, 2017. Rebecca told Dateline multiple stores along that road had security cameras, so she was able to follow her mom’s movements on tape for about 15 minutes.
“On the store security footage, I saw her at the end of the road at 9:17 a.m.,” Rebecca said. “Then I lose her because there are no more businesses after that.”
Past that point, Rebecca says there are woods, abandoned houses and communities of homeless people.
“My worst fear is that she went and hurt herself in the woods and she’s just sitting there,” Rebecca said. “I used to think it was worse not knowing what happened to her, but now I’m scared of knowing the truth.”

On June 19, two weeks after Janet was last seen, the Suffolk County Police Department issued a Silver Alert for information on her whereabouts. According to the release, a Silver Alert is a memo shared with media outlets “about [adult] individuals with special needs who have been reported missing.”
Suffolk County Director of Public Information Debbie Epple told Dateline Janet qualified for a Silver Alert due to her PTSD.
“She’s a veteran. She has PTSD and manic depression,” Janet’s daughter Rebecca told Dateline. “[But] she was OK once she got on anti-depressants.”
A conversation Rebecca had with her mom shortly before her disappearance, though, now haunts her.
“She told me she stopped taking her medication a year ago,” Rebecca said. “So has she slowly deteriorated and hid it for me? Did she completely lose her mind? Does she not know who she is? I don’t know.”
Rebecca has organized searches with her friends and local veterans groups, and she’s getting help from a retired detective. But, she says, the search is exhausting and can feel hopeless.

“There’s a big part of me that feels like she’s not here,” Rebecca said. “I love her so much. She’s such a gentle woman. If you see her, call the police, take a picture if you can.”
Suffolk County police were unable to comment on the case, but Director Epple confirmed to Dateline that “the investigation is still ongoing.”
Janet Barra is described as having olive skin, brown eyes and black hair. She is 5’6” tall and weighs 210 pounds. Rebecca is offering a $1,500 reward for information leading to her mom’s whereabouts. Anyone with information is asked to call the Suffolk County Police Department at 631-854-8552.

https://www.longislandadvance.net/4726/Daughter-hopes-art-will-reconnect-her-with-missing-mother

Daughter hopes art will reconnect her with missing mother
8/18/2017

Rebecca Barra and her mother, Janet, were inseparable. The pair spoke every day, sometimes multiple times a day. In June, that all changed.
“I hadn’t heard from her for two days, so I knew something was wrong,” Barra said. The following day, Sunday, Barra went to bring her mom a coffee where she worked, as a security guard. “I got there and they told me she was a no-call, no-show,” Barra said. “Then I got really worried.”
On a wellness check at her mother’s Patchogue apartment, where she lived for 12 years, Barra was horrified to find the apartment stripped of everything but large furniture. Later that night, she received a text from her mom saying she was going to rent a room in Lake Ronkonkoma and was cleaning it and couldn’t talk. She promised to call later.
But the phone call never came.
Security footage shows that on June 5, Janet Barra, 58, parked her car in a Medford strip mall and abandoned her car, leaving everything behind: her purse, wallet, cash, keys, cell phone. She then began walking north on Route 112.
Rebecca Barra organized search parties immediately, canvassing the area including Lake Ronkonkoma and posting flyers with her mother’s photo. On June 19, the SCPD put out a missing person Silver Alert for Janet Barra, describing her as a white female with olive skin, brown eyes and black hair, 5 feet 6 inches tall and 210 pounds.
The navy veteran, who has struggled with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, “has her quirks,” Barra said, but she’s never done anything like this before.

In April, Barra held her first solo art exhibition at Circa Something Gallery in Bellport. “She was my biggest fan,” Barra said. “She was so proud of me.” Gallery owner, Dr. Bob Baker, recalls meeting Janet at the opening reception. “She was just thrilled about her daughter’s first art show,” he said.
Baker, a former neurosurgeon, suspects Janet Barra may have suffered a nervous breakdown, which he says can result in amnesia. “You can get a temporary amnesia secondary to a nervous breakdown and forget everything about your background,” Baker said. “Or she just wanted to disappear from everything. The reality is no one knows what she was thinking,” he said.
Tonight, Friday, Aug. 18, Barra will open her second exhibit at Circa Something Gallery, which will hopefully serve two purposes. Baker hopes that if Janet sees her daughter's artwork somehow, it can help reunite the two. “Maybe it will spark her memory to come here. She knows this place and really enjoyed the show last time,” he said.
Proceeds from the show and a campaign will help Barra hire a private investigator, which can cost upwards of $10,000. She hopes a private investigator will help her find answers. “The police aren’t really helping me,” she admitted quietly, because there appeared to be no struggle in her mother’s disappearance. “They aren’t taking into account her mental illness.”

Over the past 18 days, Barra has crafted 12 original artworks that depict her range of emotions felt since that day in June. The pieces are similar to watercolor paintings but are actually ink and water set in a process Barra developed called “cooking,” with oil paint pen drawings on top. The first piece she made after her mom vanished depicts a deep indigo sky with a girl perched on a swing. “I called it ‘Hang In There,’ since that’s what everyone kept saying to me,” Barra said.
Baker was taken aback by one piece that shows a girl drifting off with balloons into a cool-colored stormy sky. “You can see that she’s putting her heart out there,” he said.
Above the fireplace on the second floor of the gallery, two pieces side by side tell a story. The first, Barra says, is her setting out on a horse to find her mom. In the second picture, a dragon stands between her and her mom. “The dragon could be her mind fooling her, or a person. I have no idea. But it’s kind of childlike because that’s how I’ve been feeling. I’m like, ‘Where’s my mommy?’”

Several other pieces show mama animals and their babies, an extension of Barra’s relationship with her own mother. “It was always me and her against the world,” Barra said, noting past struggles including eight months of homelessness when she was a teenager. “That’s why this is so weird to me, because no matter what we went through, we were together,” she said, tearing up, but quickly taking a deep breath. “I just want her to know that I love her so much, and I’m not mad at her,” she said. “I want to remind her that whatever's going on, it’s alright. We can get through it.”

https://www.longislandadvance.net/4725/Silver-Alert-Patchogue-veteran-missing

22586722_1501187083.75[1].jpg

Thank you for posting this....I don't remember seeing it before.

Finding mom

It was Janet Barra and her daughter, Rebecca, against the world.

That’s how Rebecca, now 33, will always remember her relationship with mom, a Navy veteran, who went missing in Medford one year ago.

Janet, 58, was last seen the morning of June 5, observed via security footage parking her car in a strip mall on Route 112 in Medford and taking off north on foot. Inside of the 1998 Oldsmobile, Janet left behind all of her possessions: her purse, wallet, keys and wig. “I thought it was strange,” Rebecca admits. “What woman would leave behind her purse?”

The previous weekend, Rebecca stopped by mom’s job at a gated community security booth to deliver her coffee. Janet hadn’t shown up to work that day, which worried Rebecca. Later that day, she found her mother’s Patchogue apartment empty, save for large furniture items. Everything else — clothes, photos, family heirlooms — was gone.

In a text message, Janet told Rebecca that she had found a new apartment — and though she couldn’t talk now, she promised to call.

It’s a phone call Rebecca will never receive.

Suffolk County Police confirmed that Janet Barra’s body was found on Feb. 16 in an abandoned home on Route 112 in Medford.

Suffolk County Police confirmed that Janet Barra’s body was found on Feb. 16 in an abandoned home on Route 112 in Medford.

Rebecca said that according to a detective, a homeless man attempting to seek shelter in the home over the winter found the body and called police. “Whoever he is, I’m thankful for him,” she said in a phone call last week. She kept the horrifying discovery between close friends and family, but is now hoping to speak out about her mom’s disappearance, depression and resources for veterans. Finding mom

May she rest in Peace

mods if someone can move her to Found Deceased thank you

To whom it may concern I knew Janet at her work place and worked with her watching patients all night. I was the overnight guard. Now I remember the last days I worked with her, Janet was worried and concerned about being fired because of some issue with her not or improperely distrubuting some meds for a patient resident. It was my understanding the reason I never saw her return was because staff fired her. When I heard she went missing some time later I then thought because she was fired from her job that might had pushed her into way more of a depression. So as far as I know, she wasnt just a No show? She was fired? She told me she was concerned about that. I didnt even know till now she was found? Shocking . She was a nice person , very easy to get along with. She use to take smoke breaks outside the doorway for the residents at her work. She was always plesant and nice. We only knew each other at work, never had her number or anything, and wish I could had communicated with her outside work and help her not worry and know I was a friend. Rest in peace. Im just dont know what to think that she was found in that house. I dont understand why she wasnt found sooner in a abandoned house if they were searching and all. Anyway Im sorry for your loss.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back