GUILTY NY - Joseph Comunale, 26, Manhattan, 12 Nov 2016 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Father of victim in ‘jeweler to the stars’ case breaks down at trial

October 18, 2018

"The broken father of a young man barbarically murdered in a posh Manhattan pad after a night of partying wept uncontrollably Thursday as he relived for jurors the day his son vanished.

Pat Comunale, 57, broke into sobs the moment he took the stand as the first witness at James Rackover’s trial....

After the dad’s emotional testimony, he sat beside his wife, Lisa, in the second row of the Manhattan Supreme Court gallery.

The shattered parents chose to endure the disturbing photos of Joseph Comunale’s decomposed body that were shown to jurors.

They openly sobbed as the grisly images showed the young man’s nude corpse in a partial fetal position, his face turned upward, his knees drawn toward his chest. Unable to absorb the horror any longer, Comunale’s mother dropped her gaze to the floor as her husband held her...."

https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/father-of-victim-in-jeweler-to-the-stars-case-breaks-down-at-trial/
---

'Where's Joey?' asked victim's dad when son didn't return from party at murder suspect James Rackover's apartment

OCT 19, 2018

"A murder victim’s best friend recounted Friday the moment when he realized his pal disappeared after a night clubbing session that turned out to be the last time they spent together....

In other testimony Friday, a waitress who partied with several friends and Comunale at Rackover’s apartment that fateful night said the suspect bragged about his big-shot “dad” and creeped her out by touching her hair.

James Rackover presented himself as the “son” of jeweler-to-the-stars Jeffrey Rackover — but was really his companion, prosecutors say.

Catherine Conroy, 25, said Rackover commented on a ring worn by one of her friends and boasted, “my dad could clean that for you.”

“I was just like, ‘We get it. Your dad’s a jeweler,’ ” the New Jersey woman testified, recounting her annoyance...."

'Where's Joey?' asked victim's dad when son didn't return from party at murder suspect James Rackover's apartment - NY Daily News
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't access the above article that YESorNO posted - can someone tell who else was on the witness stand on Friday?

TIA! :)

Monday, Oct. 22nd:
*Trial continues (Day 6) (@ 9:30am ET) - NY - Joey Comunale (26) (Nov. 13, 2016, Manhattan) – only for *James Rackover (26) arrested (11-16-16) & indicted on 2nd degree murder & for the alleged strangling, stabbing & dismemberment, concealment of corpse tampering with evidence & hindering prosecution; plead not guilty. $100K bond, $300K cash.
9/24/18 Update Day 1: No updates as of 9/25.
9/25/18 Update Day 2: No trial happening. No explanation YET! Next court date for Rackover is 10/2.
10/2/18 Update: Next court date 10/11. Continued to 10/12. Trial to start on 10/15.

10/15/18 Update: Day 1 – Jury selection started out with 80 prospective jurors. End of day selected 5 women/3 men. Jury selection continues on 10/16. Opening statements slated for Thursday, 10/18.
10/16/18 Update: Day 2 – Jury selection continues. No further info available.
10/17/18 Update: Day 3 – Jury selection continues. No further info available.
10/18/18 Update: Day 4 – Opening statements. State witnesses: Patsy Comunale, Joey’s father & Lt. Donna Morgan, Forensics Bureau of Monmouth Cnty Prosecutor’s Office in New Jersey. Trial continues Monday, 10/22.
10/19/18 Update: Day 5 – State witnesses: Catherine Conroy, Joey's friend. No further info available yet. Trial continues on Monday, 10/22.
Accomplices:
*Lawrence R. Dilione (28) arrested (11-16-16) & indicted on 2nd degree murder & for the alleged strangling, stabbing & dismemberment, concealment of corpse & tampering with evidence; plead not guilty; $3M bond, $300K Cash only. Will be tried after Rackover. Had hearing on 10/9. Next hearing 1/14/19.
*Max Gemma (29) arrested (12-6-16) & indicted of allegedly helping clean up after the fact, hindering prosecution & tampering with evidence; plead not guilty. $200K bond, out on bail. Had hearing on 10/9. Next hearing 1/14/19.

4/23/18: Manhattan Supreme Court Justice James Burke severed the cases against murder suspects James Rackover, 26, of New York, & Lawrence Dilione, 29, of Jersey City, N.J., Monday afternoon. Rackover will be the first to go to trial beginning Sept. 24, after which a trial date will be set for Dilione. A third defendant, Max Gemma, 30, of Oceanport, N.J., who is charged with hindering prosecution & tampering with evidence for allegedly misleading police during their investigation, is expected to go to trial last.

I can't access the above article that YESorNO posted - can someone tell who else was on the witness stand on Friday?

TIA! :)

Stephen Naso - said he got a phone call on Nov. 13, 2016 from Joseph Comunale’s father, Pat, who he calls “Mr. C.” “Have you heard from Joey? … He didn’t come home,” the worried dad said. Naso said he got the call on Comunale’s cell phone, which Communale had given him when they parted for the night outside the Gilded Lily nightclub on W. 15th St. in Chelsea. He did not know Comunale was headed to Rackover’s E. 59th St. apartment with alleged accomplice Lawrence (Larry) Dilione. After taking the call from Comunale’s father, Naso and his girlfriend began “calling hospitals to see if they picked up Joey.” He also went to Comunale’s apartment — where he found his friend’s mother. “I was just checking to see if Joey came home,” Naso said. “She said no.”

Catherine Conroy - said Rackover commented on a ring worn by one of her friends and boasted, “my dad could clean that for you.” “I was just like, ‘We get it. Your dad’s a jeweler,’ ” she testified, recounting her annoyance. Conroy also detailed how Rackover made her uncomfortable as they snorted cocaine. Rackover held her hair back without her asking. “I looked at him and I said something along the lines of, ‘OK, psycho.’ ” “I felt kind of turned off — like, ‘Don’t touch me or grab my hair.’” She said her response was “not like yelling or aggressive, just kind of like with attitude.” Rackover didn’t respond verbally. “He just looked at me,” Conroy said.

Three women — Conroy, Samantha Guardiola and Jenna Stisi — testified how they ended up at Rackover’s Sutton Place apartment early on Nov. 13, 2016. They said Dilione invited the group of mostly strangers to Rackover’s home, where they drank heavily and took drugs. They also described the relationship between Dilione and Rackover with them intent on participating in friendly competitions with each other. They challenged each other to a weight-lifting contest in the apartment complex and even gave Stisi competing lap dances, trying to out-do each other, the women testified.

The women said there was nothing unusual about the night and there also didn’t seem to be animosity between Comunale and the other men in the apartment.

Night of booze, cocaine lead up to Stamford man’s killing

'Where's Joey?' asked victim's dad when son didn't return from party at murder suspect James Rackover's apartment - NY Daily News

*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9:30am ET) - NY - Joey Comunale (26) (Nov. 13, 2016, Manhattan) – only for *James Rackover (26) arrested (11-16-16) & indicted on 2nd degree murder & for the alleged strangling, stabbing & dismemberment, concealment of corpse tampering with evidence & hindering prosecution; plead not guilty. $100K bond, $300K cash.
9/24/18 Update: No updates as of 9/25. 9/25/18 Update Day 2: No trial happening. No explanation YET! Next court date for Rackover is 10/2. 10/2/18 Update: Next court date 10/11. Continued to 10/12. Trial to start on 10/15.
Skipping over Day 1 thru 4
10/19/18 Update: Day 5 – State witnesses: State witnesses: Stephen Naso, friend of Joey's. He was with him earlier that night partying at the nightclub. Catherine Conroy, Samantha Guardiola and Jenna Stisi — all went to Rackover's place. Trial continues on 10/23.
10/22/18 Update: Day 6: No info yet.

Detective Yeoman Castro, who led the missing persons investigation into victim Joseph Comunale before his body was found, said James Rackover made the remarks while he was reviewing surveillance footage at the building that contradicted the defendant’s story. “James walks in, and as he comes to front of the desk area where I’m sitting, he laughs and says, ‘Good luck getting that video.’ And he goes towards the elevators,” Castro said in Manhattan Supreme Court. Rackover then returned to the lobby of the swank Sutton Place building half an hour later, Castro said. “He crosses in front of me. Behind me there’s a ledge. He sits behind ledge and says, ‘Good thing I spoke to my girlfriend. She said I was in the apartment all night,'” the cop said, adding that the defendant then left the building. When James walked back in later that evening, he overheard Castro talking about getting a copy of the surveillance footage and taunted the detective yet again. “As he’s walking by he laughs at me and says, ‘Good luck getting that second copy,’ and walks towards the elevators,” Castro said.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/22/murde...o-the-stars-case-allegedly-taunted-detective/

Earlier in the day, a concierge for Grand Sutton also testified about Rackover’s behavior. Eduardo Souza said Rackover called him to inquire about the length of time the building saved surveillance video. “He said, ‘Hey buddy, do you know how long the security cameras record for?’” Souza said he “asked him why he was asking because I thought that to be a strange question.” Rackover claimed he “got into an argument with his girlfriend and he wanted to see if any of it was captured,” Souza said. He told Rackover it was a day, possibly a week, and that he’d find out and get back to him.

Suspect in Sutton Place slaying taunted detective during frantic search for victim: witnesses - NY Daily News

Thank you the articles. So yesterday - the witnesses that I have are Det. Castro & concierge Souza. I can't get into the 2nd article (NY Daily News) - are there more witnesses?

TIA! :) Just trying to keep everything straight on my notes!

Wednesday, Oct. 24th:
*Trial continues (Day 8) (@ 9:30am ET) - NY - Joey Comunale (26) (Nov. 13, 2016, Manhattan) – only for *James Rackover (26) arrested (11-16-16) & indicted on 2nd degree murder & for the alleged strangling, stabbing & dismemberment, concealment of corpse tampering with evidence & hindering prosecution; plead not guilty. $100K bond, $300K cash.
Skipping Day 1 thru 6.
10/23/18 Update: Day 7: State Witnesses: Detective Yeoman Castro. Eduardo Souza, concierge at Grand Sutton. Trial continues to 10/24.

Testimony at Rackover trial shows murder suspects left behind huge stash of blood-stained evidence in trash - NY Daily News

Jurors at James Rackover’s murder trial in Manhattan Supreme Court were shown dozens of items recovered from trash bags at the Grand Sutton on E. 59th St. near First Ave. within two days of the horrific slaying of 26-year-old Joseph Comunale — including the victim’s torn, bleach-stained clothes, driver’s license and college ID, plus blood-stained towels and empty bottles of household cleaners.

Cops even found a dry cleaning receipt with Rackover’s name and apartment number on it alongside damning evidence of the brutal murder that occurred in his apartment on Nov. 13, 2016, prosecutors said.

Thank you the articles. So yesterday - the witnesses that I have are Det. Castro & concierge Souza. I can't get into the 2nd article (NY Daily News) - are there more witnesses?

TIA! :) Just trying to keep everything straight on my notes!

No other witnesses quoted in MSM for Monday.

Here's Tuesday's update:

Prosecutor Rachel Ehrhardt introduced dozens of pieces of evidence Tuesday while questioning NYPD Det. Michelle Gangi. The detective, who vouchered the evidence, held up each item for the panel to examine, including a blood-soaked sheet she pulled from a paper evidence bag. Gangi also showed jurors an empty bottle of Clorox, two pairs of jeans, blood-stained towels and a dry-cleaning receipt with James’ name, address, and apartment number.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/23/dad-o...der-victim-sobs-seeing-pictures-of-sons-body/

Rackover’s trial will resume Thursday.

Testimony at Rackover trial shows murder suspects left behind huge stash of blood-stained evidence in trash - NY Daily News

I hate to ask but - I don't have "who" was on the stand on Monday 10/22.

Here's what I have - maybe some of the witnesses on Tues. 10/23 should be on 10/22??

10/19/18 Update: Day 5 – State witnesses: Stephen Naso, friend of Joey's. He was with him earlier that night partying at the nightclub. Catherine Conroy, Samantha Guardiola and Jenna Stisi — all went to Rackover's place. Trial continues on Monday, 10/22.
10/23/18 Update: Day 7: State Witnesses: Pat Comunale. Detective Yeoman Castro. Eduardo Souza, concierge at Grand Sutton. NYPD Det. Michelle Gangi. Trial continues to 10/24

Thanks!

Thursday, Oct. 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 9) (@ 9:30am ET) - NY - Joey Comunale (26) (Nov. 13, 2016, Manhattan) – only for *James Rackover (26) arrested (11-16-16) & indicted on 2nd degree murder & for the alleged strangling, stabbing & dismemberment, concealment of corpse tampering with evidence & hindering prosecution; plead not guilty. $100K bond, $300K cash.
10/23/18 Update: Day 7: State Witnesses: Pat Comunale. Detective Yeoman Castro. Eduardo Souza, concierge at Grand Sutton. NYPD Det. Michelle Gangi. Trial continues to 10/24.
10/24/18 Update: Day 8: No info yet.

I hate to ask but - I don't have "who" was on the stand on Monday 10/22.

New York Daily News‏Verified account @NYDailyNews Oct 22
Murder suspect James Rackover taunted NYPD detective during frantic search for victim: witnesses https://nydn.us/2D01dDx

Suspect in Sutton Place slaying taunted detective during frantic search for victim: witnesses

OCT 22, 2018

"...On Nov. 14, 2016, a day after the murder, Rackover walked by Castro in the lobby of the Grand Sutton on E. 59th St. near First Ave. as the cop was scouring surveillance video for any sign of Comunale, who was still missing at that point.

“Good luck getting that video,” Rackover sneered, Castro testified in Manhattan Supreme Court....

Earlier in the day, a concierge for Grand Sutton also testified about Rackover’s behavior.

Eduardo Souza said Rackover called him to inquire about the length of time the building saved surveillance video.
“He said, ‘Hey buddy, do you know how long the security cameras record for?’”

Souza said he “asked him why he was asking because I thought that to be a strange question.”.

Rackover claimed he “got into an argument with his girlfriend and he wanted to see if any of it was captured,” Souza said.

He told Rackover it was a day, possibly a week, and that he’d find out and get back to him...."

Suspect in Sutton Place slaying taunted detective during frantic search for victim: witnesses - NY Daily News

Looks like Castro and concierge , Eduardo Souza testified on 10/22, not on 10/23??

NY Jᴜsᴛɪᴄᴇ Sᴇᴇᴋᴇʀ‏ @NYJusticeSeeker Oct 23
#Murder suspect #JamesRackover in 'jeweler to the stars' case allegedly taunted #NYPD #detective https://nyp.st/2q7EXz6 via @nypost

I don't know- very confusing when you read the articles. The tweet posted on Oct 23- that article says Oct 22

(James Rackover - Twitter Search)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
@Niner

Then this article posted OCT 23, 2018:

"...a crime scene detective’s testimony revealed Tuesday...

NYPD Det. Michelle Gangi, who processed the gruesome crime scene evidence, showed jurors a blood-stained gray hooded sweatshirt, a towel “with a strong odor of bleach” and garbage bags stained with blood...."

So, maybe, only Det. Gangi testified on Oct 23. Castro and the consierge testified on Oct 22?

(Probably a good idea to date when the article was posted?)

83x83px-LL-5e1c3da5_thankyou.gif
@YESorNO !!

Yes, I had 2 of them on the wrong date. I must have read the article from the 23rd thinking
46x27px-LL-62f44876_s_confused.gif
it was for the 23rd.... Again - thanks for keeping me straight! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back