NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
…………
I stated my THEORY, but I have no ‘proof’.
I think he recently filed for an admiralty claim. And he was as recent as May looking to buy a salvage boat.
I found a significant 2015 dispute between another treasure hunter and Panama.
It seems there is fear amongst the treasure hunters that the Panama shenanigans will set precedence for future salvors, even those having legal admiralty claim.
Is an "Admiralty Claim" something you file when you want to be in control of a "sunken shipwreck treasure site" or is it something you file when injured in a boating accident? I Googled and it was confusing ...mainly seemed like it was something filed if two boats collide or someone is injured at sea. But, my bf said he thinks its something you file to claim control of a treasure site. If there was a dispute between himself and another treasure hunter over a certain treasure site..then that might be a possibility. I called the Tip Line a few hours ago and told them this theory and the guy said "its nothing like that." He talked like they actually know who they are looking for....and I said "more something locally" and he said "yes, definitely." I probably could have squeezed more info out of him if I talked to him longer...LOL. Oh well..the mystery deepens. P.S. It sounds like you might know someone who knows him because he was looking to buy a salvage boat and the admiralty claim, etc.

Is an "Admiralty Claim" something you file when you want to be in control of a "sunken shipwreck treasure site" or is it something you file when injured in a boating accident? I Googled and it was confusing ...mainly seemed like it was something filed if two boats collide or someone is injured at sea. But, my bf said he thinks its something you file to claim control of a treasure site. If there was a dispute between himself and another treasure hunter over a certain treasure site..then that might be a possibility. I called the Tip Line a few hours ago and told them this theory and the guy said "its nothing like that." He talked like they actually know who they are looking for....and I said "more something locally" and he said "yes, definitely." I probably could have squeezed more info out of him if I talked to him longer...LOL. Oh well..the mystery deepens. P.S. It sounds like you might know someone who knows him because he was looking to buy a salvage boat and the admiralty claim, etc.

Federal admiralty salvage claim . . . . to ‘arrest’ (seize) the shipwreck.
Yes “something you file to claim control of a treasure site“
Yes, theory that “there was a dispute between himself and another treasure hunter over a certain treasure site”
There are lots of disputes over the rights to a shipwreck.
No, I don’t know anything from him or anyone he knows. I found detail about his admiralty claim and his ‘salvage boat wanted’ on treasurenet.
Interesting what you were told on the Tip Line. Hopefully, they are onto something and that this doesn’t turn into a cold case.

Informative article about admiralty claim -
http://www.numa.net/2016/08/juno-beach-galleon-embroiled-in-permit-battle/
Juno Beach Galleon Embroiled in Permit Battle
Posted on August 31, 2016
Historically, it was the last federal Admiralty claim of a Spanish vessel just before passage of the Abandoned Shipwreck Act (ASA) which gives states all rights to shipwreck salvage within three miles of their shorelines. Admiralty law, sometimes referred to as federal maritime law, favors salvors by giving them more control over their discoveries without the bullying they claim to get from state officials under the ASA.

Not KV related (not sure if DNA was tested with KVs case yet though) , but discussed earlier in thread. Update on the brutal attack of 15 yr old Bronx girl.

"Bronx parolee accused of beating teen for refusing to touch him"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

From article:
"Bronx Defender Ann Matthews described Lewis as a father with a steady job, and argued for his release on bail.

"Who he is today is at distinct odds with what is in the complaint before the court," she said."

First, he should never should of been on the streets. Secondly, I would never be able to be a public defender, especially in this case, a woman defender trying to get this animal released.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

What's anyones take on those eyes looking like the KV sketch?

Yes. Eyes are set fairly wide apart and the same shape, then the perp pic too, seems younger and less thin, but closest I've seen, so far. The upper lip, chin, high cheek bones, all match too. My first reaction, then I checked and rechecked, it all matches but the beard. The Bag Strap guy has a goatee and more a of receded hairline than his perp pic. He'd covered up his neck at his arrest, and the night of his crime, but the neck too is similar in the perp pic to the sketch guy. All that said, it's speculation, only, based on just my impression, which may be wishful. Any information about where he worked?

View attachment 103845

IMO I see a resemblance, but only when I ask myself, what would the person sitting down to give the sketch have described to result in the depiction? Unique eyebrows, furrowed, squat head shape, prominent chin, shape of mustache.. I see it in the distance between the eyes, the eyebrow/forehead furrow, the wide nose. But who knows?

The almost exaggeratedly thin neck throws me off the most. View attachment 103846

Glad this animal will be brought to justice either way.

Parolee Who Brutally Attacked Bronx Girl Charged for April 2016 Knife Point Robbery: NYPD
By Ida Siegal and Ray Villeda, NBC 4 NY News

He was re-arrested Sunday.

"The 27-year-old received additional charges for a knife point robbery he allegedly committed in April 2016

Lewis allegedly approached a 33-year-old woman at knifepoint and demanded her cellphone in front of 2944 Wickham Ave. on April 21 in the Bronx, police said."

Residents rally against gender violence after attack on teen
News 12 Bronx

Oct 31 16, 9:45 pm

and, another one...

Man Held In Sexual Assault, Robbery Of Woman In Upper Manhattan Apartment
By Ali Bauman, Glenn SchuckCBS 2 NY

Oct 31 16 10:41 pm

Police sources told CBS2 that a tipster who lives in the neighborhood and saw the story on the news earlier Monday and called police. The tipster said they know who the intruder was, and that he lived just around the corner.

The person of interest was being questioned at the 34th Precinct in Washington Heights late Monday afternoon.

Yes. Eyes are set fairly wide apart and the same shape, then the perp pic too, seems younger and less thin, but closest I've seen, so far. The upper lip, chin, high cheek bones, all match too. My first reaction, then I checked and rechecked, it all matches but the beard. The Bag Strap guy has a goatee and more a of receded hairline than his perp pic. He'd covered up his neck at his arrest, and the night of his crime, but the neck too is similar in the perp pic to the sketch guy. All that said, it's speculation, only, based on just my impression, which may be wishful. Any information about where he worked?

Parolee Who Brutally Attacked Bronx Girl Charged for April 2016 Knife Point Robbery: NYPD
By Ida Siegal and Ray Villeda, NBC 4 NY News

He was re-arrested Sunday.

"The 27-year-old received additional charges for a knife point robbery he allegedly committed in April 2016

Lewis allegedly approached a 33-year-old woman at knifepoint and demanded her cellphone in front of 2944 Wickham Ave. on April 21 in the Bronx, police said."

Residents rally against gender violence after attack on teen
News 12 Bronx

Oct 31 16, 9:45 pm

and, another one...

Man Held In Sexual Assault, Robbery Of Woman In Upper Manhattan Apartment
By Ali Bauman, Glenn SchuckCBS 2 NY

Oct 31 16 10:41 pm

Police sources told CBS2 that a tipster who lives in the neighborhood and saw the story on the news earlier Monday and called police. The tipster said they know who the intruder was, and that he lived just around the corner.

The person of interest was being questioned at the 34th Precinct in Washington Heights late Monday afternoon.

The upper Manhattan perp has a different MO. He broke into apartments and then attacked the residents. I don't think that guy is related to Karina's case. The Bronx perp, however, does resemble the sketch in Karina's case.

IDK what to think....TOO MANY violent attacks!!!

jmo

The upper Manhattan perp has a different MO. He broke into apartments and then attacked the residents. I don't think that guy is related to Karina's case. The Bronx perp, however, does resemble the sketch in Karina's case.

jmo

I don't think the guy arrested in upper Manhattan for robbery and sexual assault is Karina's perp, but here is more information about him. His DNA/fingerprints should be in the database since he's been arrested 29 times previously. Geez.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...ex-assault-break-in-arrest-anonymous-tip-nypd

jmo

jmo
I agree. I'm hoping the Bronx perp has given DNA and it was (or does get) compared to KVs perp.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...-aimed-at-nabbing-drug-traffickers-1.12542059 11/1/16

Anthony M. DeStefano, of Newsday, reports about the NYPD's efforts to stem the flow of heroin also include this, quoting Chief Boyce

"On another issue, the Aug. 2 killing of Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano, ... that despite three months elapsing detectives are still approaching the case with “a sense of vigilance and endurance.”

“They know this case is going to be a tough case,”...

“Here is a group of investigators who solve some major crimes in a couple of days. Those thing happen. But these things [Vetrano case] happen as well. There is not a day that goes by when we don’t get a tip, or two or three.”

Each tip is vetted and checked out,...

[...]

While some Howard Beach residents have privately voiced frustration at the lack of an arrest, Boyce remains optimistic.

“We will continue until we make an arrest in this case, which I know we will,” he said."

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...-aimed-at-nabbing-drug-traffickers-1.12542059 11/1/16

Anthony M. DeStefano, of Newsday, reports about the NYPD's efforts to stem the flow of heroin also include this, quoting Chief Boyce

"On another issue, the Aug. 2 killing of Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano, ... that despite three months elapsing detectives are still approaching the case with “a sense of vigilance and endurance.”

“They know this case is going to be a tough case,”...

“Here is a group of investigators who solve some major crimes in a couple of days. Those thing happen. But these things [Vetrano case] happen as well. There is not a day that goes by when we don’t get a tip, or two or three.”

Each tip is vetted and checked out,...

[...]

While some Howard Beach residents have privately voiced frustration at the lack of an arrest, Boyce remains optimistic.

“We will continue until we make an arrest in this case, which I know we will,” he said."
Shouldn't make a promise if you don't know anything or know of somebody. That's stepping too far out on the limb. Now, if they do know and they are just collecting enough evidence..
well then, I'm ok with that definitive statement.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Karina left to go jogging around 5pm give or take. Yet she was last seen on video as she headed into the park at 546 pm I wonder : did she stop to talk to someone along the way, not long after she set out ? Someone in a vehicle ? jmo

Karina left to go jogging around 5pm give or take. Yet she was last seen on video as she headed into the park at 546 pm I wonder : did she stop to talk to someone along the way, not long after she set out ? Someone in a vehicle ? jmo
I've read and heard she left around 5:30 p.m. Many weeks ago, a guy I know from Newsday comment section calculated in a FB pm to me that she must have stretched before running because it wouldn't take her 16 mins to get to the house with the CCTV. The NYPD supposedly gathered 200 videos from houses in the HB area and watched over 2,000 hours of videos. I saw a map on here of KV's run and only this one house caught her on camera? I wouldn't trust that someone else didn't go into the park from another direction in HB and they weren't seen on camera either. Wish we had a map of which houses they took footage from.

I've read and heard she left around 5:30 p.m. Many weeks ago, a guy I know from Newsday comment section calculated in a FB pm to me that she must have stretched before running because it wouldn't take her 16 mins to get to the house with the CCTV. The NYPD supposedly gathered 200 videos from houses in the HB area and watched over 2,000 hours of videos. I saw a map on here of KV's run and only this one house caught her on camera? I wouldn't trust that someone else didn't go into the park from another direction in HB and they weren't seen on camera either. Wish we had a map of which houses they took footage from.

I never heard or read that she left at 5 30 pm. I heard around 5 10 pm. Also, I think she may well have been viewed on other cctv, it's just that this is the only one the public has seen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416