GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Time Stamp 132:50.
" Get's two cops to get his name, and get his address, for no apparent reason, violating his civil rights, even though legally a police officer can ask you for your name and address."

Time stamp 125.13
"Our next step is to appeal, and then we are taking our fight to the streets of Howard Beach."
Am I missing something? If it's the judges fault Lewis is convicted, Why would you take the fight to the streets of Howard Beach?
Wouldn't it make more sense to file a complaint with The New York State Commission Of Judicial Conduct?

I guess this case is put to bed now.... at least for a while until it ends up being appealed.
It's a shame this happened to such a young woman, and her family.
I found the discussion interesting in this case, here, on this forum. There were a few curve balls along the way, but in the end, justice prevailed.
Thank you to everyone that contributed.

howardbeachjogger_0.png

tenor.gif

I guess this case is put to bed now.... at least for a while until it ends up being appealed.
It's a shame this happened to such a young woman, and her family.
I found the discussion interesting in this case, here, on this forum. There were a few curve balls along the way, but in the end, justice prevailed.
Thank you to everyone that contributed.
ROCKY you are too funny with the CJC comment. It is a joke. Worthless in most cases unless they want to screw someone. BTW, thanks for posting and appreciate your taking the time to write about although we seem to be on different courses.

ROCKY you are too funny with the CJC comment. It is a joke. Worthless in most cases unless they want to screw someone. BTW, thanks for posting and appreciate your taking the time to write about although we seem to be on different courses.
You're right. I guess it would be a joke. Why?
Perhaps it's because Judges are elected and not appointed, and in the case of Judge Michael Aloise, he just won re-election for another 14 years in November of 2017 after serving as Supreme Court Justice since 2004, and was a Civil Court Judge for 4 years before that.
A joke why? because even though a complaint is filed, it won't change the outcome of this trial. Wait.. I thought these Chanel Lewis supporters are all about justice? How else are they going to get him fired like they all claimed they were earlier today if they don't file a complaint? How can justice be served if he's not fired? How would someone go about having a judge fired, if they don't complain?
I know... Take the fight to the streets of Howard Beach.. That will show them! After a few nights of violence, they're bound to cave in and fire him! Ya think? Does he even live in Howard Beach?
They're off to a good start. Two were already arrested, when the sentence had been handed down less that 4 hours previously.
I know, they were singled out, right? It had nothing at all to do with them blocking pedestrian traffic or shutting down Queens Blvd, and the fact that once you take a protest into the streets, it is now a parade and you need a permit for that.
Time stamp 1:35
Thank you for posting too. I think it's a good thing to have dialogue no matter the differences of opinion.

I have been around for a long time and have met a lot of people that have been in some high places. The CJC is a joke and if I told you who told me that you wouldn't believe me.

I filed a complaint against Suffolk Judge James Hudson. The charges were serious as death. I accused him of altering the record and I could prove it because I had the original record.

Don't believe the system is on the level. Item: The state senator that held the hearings on the CDC and CJC, and the abuses of those agencies is now in jail.

I know of one case where a judge got punished AND I know the real reason why.

Do you really think I fell off the back of a cabbage truck and question the integrity of investigations?

Family Of Convicted Killer Chanel Lewis Vow To Fight On Over Karina Vetrano Murder Verdict

Attorneys for Chanel Lewis appeal guilty verdict

May 02, 2019

"The attorneys representing the man convicted of killing Karina Vetrano in August 2016 have filed an appeal to overturn a Queens jury’s decision and send the case back to Queens Supreme Court....

The Legal Aid Society submitted Lewis’ appeal to the Appellate Division of the state Supreme Court, Second Department and notified the Queens Supreme Court and District Attorney’s Office on April 25.

“Please take notice that the above-named defendant hereby appeals to the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Second Department, from each and every part of the judgement of this Court, dated April 23, 2019, under Indictment Number 667/17,” the appeal reads. It is signed Legal Aid Attorney-in-Charge Janet Sobel. ..."

Attorneys for Chanel Lewis appeal guilty verdict

Activists Call On Queens DA's Office To Review Chanel Lewis Case
More than 30,000 people signed a petition protesting the verdict against Chanel Lewis in the murder case of Queens jogger Karina Vetrano.

Jun 11, 2019

"KEW GARDENS, QUEENS — Activists are demanding that the Queens District Attorney's Office review the case of Chanel Lewis, who was convicted of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano in a controversial retrial earlier this year.

Members of activist groups Color Of Change and VOCAL-NY took to the steps of Queens Borough Hall on Tuesday to protest the verdict against Lewis and deliver a petition with more than 30,000 signatures to representatives from the DA's Office.

"We believe that Chanel Lewis didn't get a fair trial at all, so we want this case to be reopened," Color Of Change's Kristen Miller told Patch....."

lewisprotest___11145639049.JPG

(VOCAL-NY activist Peter Thomas embraces Veta Lewis, whose son Chanel was sentenced to life in prison for murder. [Maya Kaufman/Patch])

More than 30,000 people signed a petition protesting the verdict against Chanel Lewis in the murder case of Queens jogger Karina Vetrano.

Jun 11, 2019

"KEW GARDENS, QUEENS — Activists are demanding that the Queens District Attorney's Office review the case of Chanel Lewis, who was convicted of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano in a controversial retrial earlier this year.

Members of activist groups Color Of Change and VOCAL-NY took to the steps of Queens Borough Hall on Tuesday to protest the verdict against Lewis and deliver a petition with more than 30,000 signatures to representatives from the DA's Office.

"We believe that Chanel Lewis didn't get a fair trial at all, so we want this case to be reopened," Color Of Change's Kristen Miller told Patch....."

lewisprotest___11145639049.JPG

(VOCAL-NY activist Peter Thomas embraces Veta Lewis, whose son Chanel was sentenced to life in prison for murder. [Maya Kaufman/Patch])
Good luck with that.

Snipped from the above article:

The retrial was tainted by accusations that the judge rushed the jury to reach a verdict and that prosecutors withheld favorable evidence from the defense, as well as allegations of juror misconduct.

1, Rushed the jury?
The jury was in no way coerced.
2, Withheld favorable evidence?
This is in reference to the anonymous letter stating that there were two white men seen on the park at the time of the
murder.
Anonymous letters are not admissible in court.
3, Juror misconduct:
That was ruled on after the Juror impeached himself.

The only way to appeal this case is to present new evidence. Not only new evidence, but evidence that in no way could have been discovered before the trial due to a lack of due diligence.
For example. If someone was convicted for murder in 1973, and DNA was processed, that would be grounds for an appeal because DNA testing did not exist in 1973.
I wonder what ever happened to the Reverand Al Sharpton's ex lieutenant Reverend Kevin McAll, who was going to "never forget Chanel Lewis" and who was going to take the march to the streets of Howard Beach?
I wonder if he's moved on to a place where there are more TV cameras, now that this trial is over?

Court assigns defense counsel in Howard Beach murder appeal

June 18, 2019

"The Legal Aid Society will continue representing Chanel Lewis as he appeals his conviction for killing Karina Vetrano while she jogged near her Howard Beach home, a state appellate court determined Friday....

Legal Aid immediately filed a notice of appeal to overturn the decision and send the case back to Queens Supreme Court. The Second Department of the state Appellate Division granted their motion to continue representing Lewis....

“Every aspect of this case – from the police investigation to jury deliberations — was propelled by a desire to convict at all costs in complete disregard Mr. Lewis’s constitutional rights,” said David Loftis, attorney-in-charge at Legal Aid’s Post-Conviction and Forensic Litigation unit. “This included a race-based DNA dragnet that ensnared hundreds of New Yorkers of color; blatant failures to disclose crucial exculpatory evidence implicating alternative suspects; and deliberations during which jurors appeared to have acted improperly in violation of the Court’s instruction. It is our strong belief that the trial court failed to meaningfully consider these issues and we look forward to litigating these and other claims for Mr. Lewis on appeal.”..."

June 18, 2019

"The Legal Aid Society will continue representing Chanel Lewis as he appeals his conviction for killing Karina Vetrano while she jogged near her Howard Beach home, a state appellate court determined Friday....

Legal Aid immediately filed a notice of appeal to overturn the decision and send the case back to Queens Supreme Court. The Second Department of the state Appellate Division granted their motion to continue representing Lewis....

“Every aspect of this case – from the police investigation to jury deliberations — was propelled by a desire to convict at all costs in complete disregard Mr. Lewis’s constitutional rights,” said David Loftis, attorney-in-charge at Legal Aid’s Post-Conviction and Forensic Litigation unit. “This included a race-based DNA dragnet that ensnared hundreds of New Yorkers of color; blatant failures to disclose crucial exculpatory evidence implicating alternative suspects; and deliberations during which jurors appeared to have acted improperly in violation of the Court’s instruction. It is our strong belief that the trial court failed to meaningfully consider these issues and we look forward to litigating these and other claims for Mr. Lewis on appeal.”..."

The case has generated significant attention and controversy since Lewis’ arrest in February 2017, which only increased after a person claiming to be an NYPD officer familiar with the investigation sent an anonymous letter to the media and defense team in March. The letter, first reported by the Daily News, described racial bias in the initial investigation, including a large-scale DNA dragnet targeting black men in Howard Beach and surrounding neighborhoods.

Once again, anonymous letters are not admissible as evidence.
Although I am against DNA dragnets, It appears this claim came from the same anonymous letter.

Snipped:
At least three Democratic candidates for Queens District attorney say they would open an investigation into the case.

Of course they did. Anything to get votes.

I hope they can come up with new evidence that has substance, because these claims have already been discussed and ruled on. If not, IMO this appeal is a waste of time.

The case has generated significant attention and controversy since Lewis’ arrest in February 2017, which only increased after a person claiming to be an NYPD officer familiar with the investigation sent an anonymous letter to the media and defense team in March. The letter, first reported by the Daily News, described racial bias in the initial investigation, including a large-scale DNA dragnet targeting black men in Howard Beach and surrounding neighborhoods.

Once again, anonymous letters are not admissible as evidence.
Although I am against DNA dragnets, It appears this claim came from the same anonymous letter.

Snipped:
At least three Democratic candidates for Queens District attorney say they would open an investigation into the case.

Of course they did. Anything to get votes.

I hope they can come up with new evidence that has substance, because these claims have already been discussed and ruled on. If not, IMO this appeal is a waste of time.
Snipped from the above article "Anonymous letter to the media, (which could have been sent by anyone.)
The letter, first reported by the Daily News on Friday, states that the NYPD initially described suspects in the Aug. 2, 2016 murder as “two jacked up white guys from Howard Beach.” A top official instructed officers to swab every white man in Howard Beach, the letter states.

On the 13th day of the investigation, however, phenotyping of some of the DNA found at the scene indicated that the suspect may have been black or African American, the letter continues. At that point, NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce instructed cops to obtain DNA swabs from all black men arrested in the area, according to the letter. Lewis, who was arrested six months after the murder, is black but was never arrested before.

The "large scale DNA dragnet targeting black men in Howard Beach and surrounding neighborhoods" started out with a suggestion that all white men be swabbed.
That switched to blacks when the DNA pointed to a black man.
Swabbing white men at that time would have been nothing but a waste of time and money.
Just because Lewis was not arrested, doesn't mean they couldn't swab him. He surrendered his DNA at his own will.

Good luck with that.

The retrial was tainted by accusations that the judge rushed the jury to reach a verdict and that prosecutors withheld favorable evidence from the defense, as well as allegations of juror misconduct.

1, Rushed the jury?
The jury was in no way coerced.
2, Withheld favorable evidence?
This is in reference to the anonymous letter stating that there were two white men seen on the park at the time of the
murder.
Anonymous letters are not admissible in court.
3, Juror misconduct:
That was ruled on after the Juror impeached himself.

The only way to appeal this case is to present new evidence. Not only new evidence, but evidence that in no way could have been discovered before the trial due to a lack of due diligence.
For example. If someone was convicted for murder in 1973, and DNA was processed, that would be grounds for an appeal because DNA testing did not exist in 1973.
I wonder what ever happened to the Reverand Al Sharpton's ex lieutenant Reverend Kevin McAll, who was going to "never forget Chanel Lewis" and who was going to take the march to the streets of Howard Beach?
I wonder if he's moved on to a place where there are more TV cameras, now that this trial is over?
Withholding evidence of other potential suspects from the defense could definitely be a reason for a retrial, it is a guaranteed right for the defense to receive every single piece of possibly exculpatory evidence, but AFAIK the Judge denied the motion defense made on those grounds. Kind of shocking to me honestly, especially with the juror interview and the allegations of juror misconduct. But, again, I think the Judge already ruled on each of the motions and denied them.

While I honestly believe Judge Aloise is/has been the most reversed judge in all of NYS I cannot not prove it. It doesn't mean it isn't true and perhaps one of you' sleuthers' out there might one to check that out.

I know a now retired Queens County Judge who was still sitting when we spoke. A particular case was well known throughout the legal community in Queens. He was aware of this case and smiled when I mentioned it. I told him if there was ever a 440 motion filed I would try to make sure he was on the rotation to receive it. He told me don't bother because he would NEVER get a 440 assigned to him as they were reserved for a select few. That would include Judge Aloise.

WHAT IS A 440? It is a motion to present new evidence by the defense to reopen a case. It would be directed to the judge that tried to case. Should that judge be retired or otherwise unable to review his own case it has to be given to another judge for review. And they are assigned to the Star Chamber judges.

Some years ago I was having dinner with two well known NYC Supreme Court judges. One is well known in various legal circles. I shall not embarrass either judge. We were chatting about both of them being on various task forces regarding wrongful convictions etc. I told them to stop the Bullsh!t about task forces, I, a detective can sum it all up in 5 minutes, and so could you and you don't need a task force to do that.

I joined this Board to share ideas with other posters. Some of those posts are downright silly. But it is a continuing learning process.

Regarding the selections of judges on important cases. Equally as important for the DA would be the selection of the jurors.

<modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
I joined this Board to share ideas with other posters. Some of those posts are downright silly. But it is a continuing learning process.

Regarding the selections of judges on important cases. Equally as important for the DA would be the selection of the jurors.

I suggest you folks check out the trial of Martin Tankleff. He had a juror named Frank Spindel. Follow Spindel's journey thru the trial and after the trial. Keep on searching because you are going to find him being arrested by the SCDA for mortgage fraud. Check it out and see what happens. Any questions you might have I would be happy to share my opinions. Bottom line, IMO, nothing happened !

Perhaps start a thread for the case you mentioned, since this thread is for Katrina's case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back