GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My guess is no since I haven't heard anything but will this be live streamed?

I doubt it. I don't believe New York allows cameras in the courtroom.

My guess is no since I haven't heard anything but will this be live streamed?
I doubt it. I don't believe New York allows cameras in the courtroom.
This website appears to have current legal links regarding NO cameras allowed during NY trial court proceedings:
Cameras in the Court Guide (Mississippi-North Carolina)
RTDNA Cameras in the Courts:
New York

[...]
. . . Unless the Legislature enacts a statute overruling the Court of Appeals, cameras will not be allowed in trial court proceedings for the foreseeable future.
[...]

Cameras are allowed in NY courtrooms only if approved by the Chief Court Administrator (or Chief Judge)
(NY court rule section 29.1)
It doesn't appear in this case that cameras will be allowed.

It appears that Lewis had pictures of Karina and the crime scene on his phone.
It will be interesting to see how the Defense explains that.
https://nypost.com/2018/11/05/mom-of-slain-queens-jogger-torn-by-details-of-daughters-murder/

More on his cell phone & photos:

Sometime between the murder and the consensual DNA sample, Lewis downloaded photos of the crime scene and searched for information about Vetrano’s murder — including information about familial DNA evidence — on his cell phone, which investigators obtained through a warrant, Leventhal said.

After the defense objected to the statements about the cell phone information, Aloise asked the defense and prosecution to speak with him at the bench. After the conversation, Leventhal proceeded with his argument.

“[Lewis] was researching things, his phone was researching things, about this case before police had even contacted him,” Leventhal said, though he did not elaborate on the exact data contained on Lewis’ phone.

Leventhal said that in the time between Lewis’ DNA swab on Feb. 1 and his arrest on Feb. 3, his cell phone search history indicated that he had also searched for “prosecutorial discretion” and “second chances.”

“That was a mischaracterization of the evidence,” Chung told the Eagle. “There is a difference in saying that someone downloaded something and having metadata appear after a search on a phone.”

Jurors Stone-faced As Vetrano Trial Prosecutor Builds Case Against Chanel Lewis

Snipped from above article:

At the end of the opening statement, defense attorney Jenny Cheung requested a mistrial, saying that it was a “misstatement” to tell jurors that medical examiners were able to create a DNA profile of one male based on DNA found on Vetrano’s fingernails. Cheung said it was impossible for the jury to “unhear” the allegation. Aloise denied the request.

It's hard to get a judge to sustain an objection, let alone declare a mistrial during opening statements.

“That was an exaggeration of the evidence and no scientist would tell you that,” Cheung told the Eagle before the defense’s opening statements.

I'd say that's argumentative. The Medical Examiner hasn't testified yet.

Trial of Accused Killer of Queens Jogger Begins

Lewis has pleaded not guilty. Wearing a gray suit, he sat in court on Monday, biting his nails and occasionally turning in the direction of Ms. Vetrano’s mother, who sat rows behind the prosecutors. She held a religious cross and cried throughout the opening remarks, occasionally glaring at Mr. Lewis, as well as his relatives. His mother sat quietly reading a Bible for most of the proceeding.

Mr. Leventhal on Monday painted Mr. Lewis as a killer who went to Spring Creek Park in a blind rage and brutally beat and sexually assaulted a stranger. Investigators arrested him in January 2017, six months after the killing. He told detectives in a videotaped confession that, on the day of the crime, he became upset because his neighbor had guests over and was playing loud music.

Mr. Lewis’s attorneys will seek to cast doubt on the DNA evidence. Moreover, they will argue police held Mr. Lewis, who lived with his mother at the time of the arrest, for 12 hours in a precinct miles away from his home in an effort to force him to confess. Mr. Leventhal said Mr. Lewis was taken to that station house because the police task force investigating the Vetrano case was based there.

Trial of Accused Killer of Queens Jogger Begins

In her opening statement, Jenny Cheung, one of Mr. Lewis’s attorneys, said Monday that police rushed their investigation because of immense public pressure to find the murderer of Ms. Vetrano, who Ms. Cheung noted comes from a family of public servants. Philip Vetrano was a New York City firefighter. There were no eyewitnesses to the killing, Ms. Cheung said.

“The evidence will show the government is not 100% sure of everything that happened,” Ms. Cheung said.

Mr. Leventhal also revealed that the day after the killing, Mr. Lewis’s father took him to the hospital for a “swollen, pus-filled injury” on Mr. Lewis’s hand.

Mr. Lewis got the injury from breaking Ms. Vetrano’s teeth, Mr. Leventhal said, noting that there were photographs of the injury from Mr. Lewis’s own phone and in hospital records.

Mr. Leventhal also presented photographs of Ms. Vetrano’s beaten, partially undressed and bloodied body to the jury, prompting gasps in the courtroom. Two relatives embraced a crying Catherine Vetrano while they were displayed, shielding her eyes from the image of her dead daughter.

Snipped from above article:

Vetrano’s mother, Cathie Vetrano, and sister, Tana Vetrano, mouthed curses at Lewis as he slumped in his chair in an oversized tan suit.

I'm sure this must be tough on the Vetranos', but, I hope they can refrain from "mouthing courses" in the courtroom. They could find themselves in contempt and fined, or worse, thrown out of the courtroom.
It's bad enough that Phil can't be in there at the moment until he testifies, but, where as he found her body so early, I assume he will testify within the next day or so, and will be allowed to stay for the trial after he takes the stand.
It looks like this trial is going to last for at least 3 weeks.

Snipped:
There were also more curious claims that the prosecution had never shared with the defense before the trial but revealed during their opening statement—that Lewis had conducted internet searches on his cellphone about the murder before he was a suspect, and that he had also searched terms like “prosecutorial discretion” and “second chance” after he had been contacted by police.

It will be interesting to see if this evidence is allowed.
Discovery is supposed to be released before/at pretrial, not during the trial.

In reference to cell phone evidence, I found this video dated back to September. I think it's fair to say that not only was discovery shared with the defense, but it was discussed with a judge prior to trial, and the defense had time to review all cell phone evidence.

I feel so much sadness for her family. I can't imagine having to sit in the same room with someone that killed your loved one for no reason. Then, have to listen as to why this piece of trash deserves to live. He admitted it. Lock him up and move on. Vent over.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills
Back