GUILTY NY - Kathryn Filiberti, 18, raped & murdered, Hyde Park, 19 March 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That occurred to me, too. Although a jealous boyfriend also might want to make her unattractive to other men, possibly.

Easily possible..and with multiple stabbings, there's rage and lack of control which you would more commonly see from a male suspect. I just get a bit of alarm bells about someone close to the case.

It would appear cause of death in this case is not as clear cut as previously reported.

I am a little surprised this case has not gotten more attention from the posters here on websleuths.

From all reports this young lady was a good person who did not derserve what happened to her.

The online journal seems to be the the main source of any updates although police have not released any information. Reading through the articles and especially the comments from the articles a lot of focus is on the boyfriend and/or his brother.

Interesting that the boyfriend was not welcome at the funeral. Also interesting that the journal reported that his brother was rushed to hospital the other day due to a suspected overdose.

This case just doesn't seem to be as clear cut as everyone thought.

I hope they can find the killer/killers soon so Kathryn can receive the justice she deserves.

My thoughts go to the family and those closest to her.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...ause-Hyde-Park-woman-s-death?odyssey=nav|head

I'm hoping there is DNA under her fingernails and they are just waiting for results.

I continue to be surprised by the lack of interest in this case by posters of websleuths.

A young beautiful woman is murdered.

Her killer/killers remain at large.

Rumours are flying everywhere, especially in the comments section of articles.

The Police continue to remain tight-lipped, although I'm starting to wonder whether they actually have any clue who did this.

The boyfriend continues to be the topic of discussion, along with his brother - a more recent rumour was she had slept with both brothers, but again that is just a rumour.

This is one case I wished generated more publicity. Sometimes I wonder whether people in the USA have become so use to innocent people being murdered that it hardly raises an eyebrow nowadays.

I hope this killer is caught and I pray for the family who has to endure all the rumours which will continue until someone is brought to justice.

Lastest article - again no new information, but at least this online journal is keeping this case in the news.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...Hyde-Park-jolt-from-Filiberti-slaying-lingers

I have not been able to find articles that have comments...what station or newspaper has them, do you know?

I do think people tend to think that if a crime seems to have been committed by someone the victim knows, it is not something they have to worry about; they sigh and move on...not sure why this case is not getting much attention but there are hundreds of others out there that we don't know about at all, partly because the victim was possibly not young and beautiful...

I did think Nancy Grace would be all about this case...she loves cases with beautiful victims...

I think there is interest in this case, but nothing new to post. I'm hoping an arrest will be made soon.

I have not been able to find articles that have comments...what station or newspaper has them, do you know?

I do think people tend to think that if a crime seems to have been committed by someone the victim knows, it is not something they have to worry about; they sigh and move on...not sure why this case is not getting much attention but there are hundreds of others out there that we don't know about at all, partly because the victim was possibly not young and beautiful...

I did think Nancy Grace would be all about this case...she loves cases with beautiful victims...

Hi there

thanks for your response. If you click on the link I provided in my post it has comments at the bottom of that article. If you scroll down a bit, on the right hand side it shows previous articles on Kathryn and the number of comments against each article. One has over 300 comments while another over 200.

I didn't mean to belittle other victims out there and you are so right in what you said. I guess the point I was trying to make in my post is that Kathryn is an innocent victim and maybe the perp is not the boyfriend otherwise we would have expected a quick arrest. Hopefully the police are just tying up loose ends.

Nancy Grace did have a short segment on one of her shows on Kathryn, but nothing since then.

I'm a small business owner and a concerned faculty member from Dutchess Community College where Kathryn Filiberti was a student. Because I had called the Hyde Park Police hotline a couple of days ago to ask a couple of harmless questions surrounding her death, I was asked to come into the Dutchess County Sheriffs office building for questioning. While there, I got the overwhelming feeling that they have NO CLUE who killed Kathryn, because they took my DNA (waste of tax payers money).

A detective investigating case says to me, "what's your obsession with morbidity? Dead is dead!" I thought, "What a god awful thing to say. It's insensitive, unprofessional, inhuman and I think that if I were the parents of Kathryn, I would've spit in your face."

If you're that disconnected from the reality and horror that the community is going through, then it's time for you to quit.

I'm a small business owner and a concerned faculty member from Dutchess Community College where Kathryn Filiberti was a student. Because I had called the Hyde Park Police hotline a couple of days ago to ask a couple of harmless questions surrounding her death, I was asked to come into the Dutchess County Sheriffs office building for questioning. While there, I got the overwhelming feeling that they have NO CLUE who killed Kathryn, because they took my DNA (waste of tax payers money).

A detective investigating case says to me, "what's your obsession with morbidity? Dead is dead!" I thought, "What a god awful thing to say. It's insensitive, unprofessional, inhuman and I think that if I were the parents of Kathryn, I would've spit in your face."

If you're that disconnected from the reality and horror that the community is going through, then it's time for you to quit.

Wow-that is shocking, not to mention scary. I know lots of small town LE are not equipped for certain crimes, but that is ridiculous. You should write a letter to the paper or call up the major or something.

Maybe the cops in this little Mayberry of a PD would like all of here on WS to give DNA, because we have an interest in seeing crimes being solved??

That sounds like something out of the past. Clearly this department is not prepared to solve this case and somebody should be made aware. How sad for this young woman and her family.

OMG they took your DNA?
Crazy. I read the article where the boyfriend gave his first statement and I was thinking he was the guy they need to look at, you saying they dont have a clue has me concerned.
I thought it was going to be pretty open and shut and senceless. Now I am worried.

Wow-that is shocking, not to mention scary. I know lots of small town LE are not equipped for certain crimes, but that is ridiculous. You should write a letter to the paper or call up the major or something.

Maybe the cops in this little Mayberry of a PD would like all of here on WS to give DNA, because we have an interest in seeing crimes being solved??

That sounds like something out of the past. Clearly this department is not prepared to solve this case and somebody should be made aware. How sad for this young woman and her family.

BBM
I don't know. I am thinking just the opposite. Maybe they should lay low for now if LE is really not sure who to look at yet. No use making oneself a target.

Why aren't they looking closer at the boyfriend? He was supposedly the last to see her and some say she was cheating on him. Sounds like a proper suspect to me.

HA! they wont get my DNA without a warrent. Of course maybe Trica could start her own Crimesleuths to remove yourself from the suspect pool DNA bank.

In the case of the DNA collection.
I can see it as a double edged sword ,if they didnt ask questions of anyone who came along asking questions then they are not doing their job,but running up the cost of a case because the dont want to make phone calls or use profiling tool to weed out those of who DNA NEEDS to be collected is a lazy investigators method. We have seen case go unsolved because they didnt ask certain people for DNA and criminals are rumored to swim arround their own investigations to gleam insight into what is happening. So At least we know they will have everyones DNA right? Science could solve the case and not the investigators which is probably better as science isnt subject to it own opinions.:twocents:

Here's the latest article in this saga: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...iner-defends-secrecy-around-Filiberti-slaying

I also looked up ex-boyfriend and alleged last person to see Katie alive Mike Delarm's Facebook profile a few weeks ago and it showed a picture of a girl holding some outfit in a clothing store. I just looked again today, and now there's a picture of him goofing in front of a webcam: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1321113504
Not trying to pass judgment but is this the same kid who told AOL news "I love her and I wish I could switch positions with her. When she was murdered, so was I. I'm never gonna be normal again without my Katie Kat." Not sure I'd be looking so jovial a month after a death like that...

I also noticed there is a memorial group on Facebook called "You are Missed Katie Filiberti" https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212164752132064 and that Mike Delarm was added to the group by the admin about halfway down the page. I also found this note that he posted 4 days after the death: https://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-delarm/attention-please-read/1618558186779
Again not trying to pass judgment but if you were that broken up over a friend's death would your first reaction 4 days later be to make silicone bracelets? I dunno...

A suspect has been arrested in Kathryn's death:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...sey=mod|breaking|text|PoughkeepsieJournal.com

It appears right now that the suspect did not know Kathryn and that it was a somewhat random, not premeditated murder. LE is being pretty tight lipped about the case at this point. Shand, the suspect, was a substitute newspaper delivery-person.

My theory, at this point, goes like this. Kathryn supposedly left a party after arguing with her boyfriend about someone who was there. So she leaves on foot. Perhaps this guy is out delivering papers, sees her walking, offers her a ride. She's been drinking, perhaps her judgement isn't the best at that moment. She takes the ride, he tries something with her, she tries to fight him off, he strangles her and dumps her in the park. All MOO, of course.

We shall see as it develops further....

June 2012
POUGHKEEPSIE – The man, who killed Kathryn Filiberti of Hyde Park as she walked home from a party in the early morning hours of March 19, 2001, was sentenced to 40 years to life in state prison on Thursday.

Dutchess County Court Judge Stephen Greller sentenced Stephen Shand, 24, of Hyde Park after Shand apologized to the family in what Senior Assistant District Attorney Edward McLoughlin felt was not necessarily sincere.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2012/June/21/Shand_sentenced-21Jun12.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back