NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you have to have a reason to search someone's house? Gus seems to be the Good Samaritan of Oak Beach and I can't imagine why they would search his house. For his efforts trying to rescue SG, he has been hounded by the press and I think has become afraid he has put himself in danger.

True, but in the effort to be thorough in their investigation I'd think LE might want to search his property. He was one of the last people to see Shannan alive. I've never thought he was involved.

So many times SK's appear to be upstanding citizens one would never suspect. That is one thought I have re: DrH. It seems so obvious he could be involved with all we have learned about him - maybe too obvious.

FYI.48 hours spent the day at GC's house yesterday. I'm not sure when they are airing the episode.

I watched the "biography" on Tv on Joel Rifkin this week. One thing that became clear through the interviews was that many of the ways he killed or disposed of the bodies was related to circumstances and opportunity. It really gave less importance to the idea of an MO being psycholigically driven( with the exception that he strangled them)

Different sources say that GC was the last to see Shannan alive yet there are other news sources that suggest CPH saw her and then the 20 year old who added that they saw her footsteps in the sand.

Were these Foot Steps or Bare Foot Prints? When did this 20 year old see Shannan...before or after GC? The 20 year old described SG in the following quote:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

She then banged on the door of neighbor Gustav Coletti and spent some time inside before fleeing after Coletti said he called the cops.

Gilbert was never seen again.

"That was the last time she was seen. We saw her footprints in the sand," said Justin Canning, 20, who lives down the street. "She was in a panic. We thought she was on drugs."

JC says "We". He apparently lived right near the ER doc (JC at 35 A. Way & the doc at 33 A. Way) who put his home up for sale on July 7th, 2010.
http://longisland.blockshopper.com/...y_physician_sells_Gilgo-Oak_Beach-Captree_3BD

So what kind of footprints were seen, in what sand (where) and who is the other part of the "we?"

In regards to the burlap the bodies were found in, was it burlap bags (eg. sack) or burlap cloth(eg used for windscreen, wrapping plant/shrub roots)? burlap windscreen used to be used by Parks Dept. with storm fence to protect against erosion. DPW used it extensively at one time in the Jones Beach properties..

In regards to the burlap the bodies were found in, was it burlap bags (eg. sack) or burlap cloth(eg used for windscreen, wrapping plant/shrub roots)? burlap windscreen used to be used by Parks Dept. with storm fence to protect against erosion. DPW used it extensively at one time in the Jones Beach properties..

most of the articles say "wrapped in burlap" but I haven't found an actual quote from law enforcement that states it was bags.

I've been checking all the reports of missing women across the US from the past 6 months and it appears on the surface that the LI serial killer has stopped for now. IMO, he's probably already been questioned in this case.

The only report I could find of a similar missing young woman is here (in Fayetteville, AR):

http://nwahomepage.com/fulltext-news/?nxd_id=236917

Hi, MrsPC. Thanks for your searches. A few observations:

1. Not all prostitutes who fall off the map are reported missing. That, I believe, was true in the case of one of the young women involved in this case.

2. Some serial killers continued their gruesome work after they had been interviewed. In fact, Gary Ridgway resumed killing after he was interviewed, arrested for prostitution, and submitted to the hair and saliva tests that later helped rope him.

3. All psychological monsters are different, but if this serial killer is as organized as he is being presented here, I have some doubt that we should reflexively conclude that he lived in the immediate neighborhood. I think that criminals like buffer zones.

4. To me, Shannan Gilbert's tragic disappearance doesn't fit neatly in the "Craigslist" serial murder picture. For one thing, at this date, her body has not been discovered in a grouping that includes victims both before and after her. For another, Gilbert's irrational behavior (hysteria; disorientation; refusing safe entry or passage even from the driver she had hired) is more consistent with the bipolar and prescription and illegal drug problems she is known to have had than with any more speculative explanation. And, lastly, her john, no matter how loathsome he might be, was not acting as a very wise killer, allowing her to arrive with a driver who would wait for her; letting her make an extended 911 call from his living room; inviting the driver into his house; and then asking her to leave. I think, frankly, that people assume that JB is the culprit in not only her death, but in several other "Craigslist" sex worker homicides simply because the search for Shannan's body led to all the other discoveries and he was her last known employer.

police have commented that they believe the serial killer may have "wined & dined" these girls...gotten comfortable with them...maybe saw them on more than one occassion.

I think that's certainly possible with regard to Gilbert. Perhaps this was Brewer's first time with her & things went awry from the start.

Just found this in a Backpage ad: "Long Island Cerial [sic] Killers NOT welcome!"

I'm curious why police didn't take the boyfriend to pick out the Long Island home per this article --

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/...ythelongislandserialkillervictimssecretlife_1

Terry said the anonymous caller called him more than 30 times over a period of eight months. He said he reported the calls to the cops. Months later, Terry said, he was approached by the police again, but this time not as a suspect. They wanted to know about the john on Long Island. They asked if he could describe the house and if he could pick it out if he was taken there. He said he could.

"They already knew about the guy in Long Island," he said. "I said if they come to get me I would go. They didn't come."

police have commented that they believe the serial killer may have "wined & dined" these girls...gotten comfortable with them...maybe saw them on more than one occassion.

I think that's certainly possible with regard to Gilbert. Perhaps this was Brewer's first time with her & things went awry from the start.

Hi, MrsPC, I've never been with a prostitute, but I assume that all johns want to have some kind of "good time" with sex workers and many of them might rehire them, but that is not an incriminating circumstance.

If one would believe the speculation here, Brewer was already a killer at the time of Shannan's disappearance. If, as you say (and it seems likely) that things went awry from the start, he would have been a dimwit beyond dimwits to kill her after a 21- or 23-minute 911 call and two encounters with her driver. And one assumes that he would also realize that her driver would be searching for her too.

A postscript: I just the read the article on Melissa Barthelemy that you kindly linked. To me, this adds one further indication that it is unlikely that Brewer is the serial killer: Barthelemy's last trick apparently didn't encourage third parties:

"Terry, who law-enforcement sources say was Barthelemy's pimp, said she was very secretive about her plans that night and declined an offer for a ride. "This time she said no," said Terry, who denies that he was her pimp...."

and

"Police soon suspected the slayings were the work of an active serial killer. There is also some suggestion that some of the women veered from their usual routines when they fell prey to the murderer. Three of the women seem to have left on their dates alone, and both Barthelemy and Costello appear to have been enticed by the promise of big money the nights they disappeared."

Since Barthelemy's disappearance occurred in 2007, well before Gilbert's, it seems unlikely that her killer would abandon procedures that worked so effectively in his earlier ghoulish job.

I think the key words in the article are "this time she said no"....

Perhaps when the killer feels it's time for another victim - the rendezvous becomes more secretive.

I think the key words in the article are "this time she said no"....

Perhaps when the killer feels it's time for another victim - the rendezvous becomes more secretive.

Hi, MrsPC. Terry's comment is about Melissa, not one specific client. To me, becoming secretive after you have had encounters with the future victim seems foolhardy. In addition, there is some indication that this was not a regular client, but a special, extraordinarily lucrative hook-up: If thousand dollar tricks had been frequent for Ms. Barthelemy, she wouldn't have been selling her body on the streets of Manhattan.

Hi, MrsPC. Terry's comment is about Melissa, not one specific client. To me, becoming secretive after you have had encounters with the future victim seems foolhardy. In addition, there is some indication that this was not a regular client, but a special, extraordinarily lucrative hook-up: If thousand dollar tricks had been frequent for Ms. Barthelemy, she wouldn't have been selling her body on the streets of Manhattan.

Gilbert was living in an upscale $1200/mo condo...she bought lots of gifts & things (designer clothes, manicures, etc) for her sisters.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

edited to add - just posting this to add to the promise of big money the other 2 women rec'd, and the fact it was reported Gilbert charged $250 per hour, shows big money seems to play into all the victims demise.

most of the articles say "wrapped in burlap" but I haven't found an actual quote from law enforcement that states it was bags.

Hi, The New York Times stated 'burlap bags' and I think they are a reliable source.

Also, as to the article that JustK just posted above, it doesn't agree with what Sherre stated in the interview with 'Here Women Talk". Sherre stated that after Shannan left Gus' house she knocked on the door of a lady who said she would call 911 and Shannan ran away.

I don't even think this lady was the last to see her as Shannan evidently encountered the SK after that. As Sherre said, and then something happened to her. We don't know when she ran into DrH, do we :waitasec:

I mean hasn't he put himself out there as possibly being the last person to see her? That is the way I read it unless there was someone else she encountered after the Dr.

I'm curious why police didn't take the boyfriend to pick out the Long Island home per this article --

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/...ythelongislandserialkillervictimssecretlife_1

Terry said the anonymous caller called him more than 30 times over a period of eight months. He said he reported the calls to the cops. Months later, Terry said, he was approached by the police again, but this time not as a suspect. They wanted to know about the john on Long Island. They asked if he could describe the house and if he could pick it out if he was taken there. He said he could.

"They already knew about the guy in Long Island," he said. "I said if they come to get me I would go. They didn't come."
Thanks for that link MrsPC. It is fully packed with usable info, a real 'keeper'. ;}

Gilbert was living in an upscale $1200/mo condo...she bought lots of gifts & things (designer clothes, manicures, etc) for her sisters.

edited to add - just posting this to add to the promise of big money the other 2 women rec'd, and the fact it was reported Gilbert charged $250 per hour, shows big money seems to play into all the victims demise.

Hi, MrsPC, thanks for your notes and the postscript. Shannan shared that condo and, one assumes, the rent with her boyfriend. A substantial part of that fee would certainly be paid to the driver, who would drive both ways and wait.

The connection between "big money" and Shannan's death exists only if it can be indicated that she was murdered by the man who asked her to leave his house.

Hi, MrsPC, thanks for your notes and the postscript. Shannan shared that condo and, one assumes, the rent with her boyfriend. A substantial part of that fee would certainly be paid to the driver, who would drive both ways and wait.

The connection between "big money" and Shannan's death exists only if it can be indicated that she was murdered by the man who asked her to leave his house.

that's very true...

her disappearance & being a Craigslist prostitute & the other victims being Craigslist prostitutes and their bodies being found a couple miles down the road seems way too coincidental for my blood though....

that's very true...

her disappearance & being a Craigslist prostitute & the other victims being Craigslist prostitutes and their bodies being found a couple miles down the road seems way too coincidental for my blood though....

Hi, MrsPC, I appreciate your candor and I thank you for the useful links you have provided. I think that "Craigslist prostitute" is a very large umbrella; I'm not even certain that all the final jobs of these poor women were secured through the supposed "service." Both Melissa and Amber seemed to have also sought business elsewhere.

And Shannan Gilbert's body, of course, wasn't found among those killing field corpses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez