NY - LISK Bodies found as of December 10, 2011 Thread #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to kill a CDMA/GSM signal, the easiest way is to put it in a lead lined bag or case, or remove the antenna, or wrap in in an xray blanket. ;0).

Or if your just trying to clone/hack it....Pull the SIM card out. Granted it's not CDMA. CDMA carriers did not have removable SIM cards in their phones until recently. Plus not all phones store contacts/info on the SIM card.

As for the PenTest. I have worked very close with certain agencies that have required regulated testing on network infrastructure. This includes various 'attacks' on system security. MHO is this person/persons is techno savy but not anyone that develops code or even understands the workings of these devices. If he had knowledge of how to 'hack' these devices, the outcome would be much more sinister. It's not that hard to look at someone contacts and turn the phone on and off. The only thing I can think might be a changer in this, is the knowledge of how the towers work and that they can give GPS of the phone. How the phone can be found even if its not being used in a call. This also leads to the question of the shape of Shannons phone? Are we to believe she shut if off, removed the battery and lost it? Was it found with the battery out? This person has a good understanding of communications, or at least the resources close enough to ask questions.

My2Cents....

The reports contained in this blotter were mostly mundane but, there are some incidences that are quite interesting. The following is a list of some of the things that jumped out at me:

May 16, 2010: 8:22 pm - Possible Drug Overdose.
June 5, 2010: 1:51pm – Unknown person hacks into an email account.
June 13, 2010: 1:30 pm – Unknown person nails dead snake to wooden railing of someones home.
June 15, 2010: 9:34 pm – Person becomes suicidal.
http://www.fireislandnews.info/police-blotter-mainmenu-71

January 24, 2010: 7:45 pm – Homeowner receives unusually high power bill. Concerned someone was staying at their home without permission.
January 26, 2010: 8:55 pm – Another homeowner calls to complain about high power bill & requests a house check.
February 24, 2010: 6:10 pm – Suspicious man in the bushes.
April 21, 2010: 9:24 pm – Person came home to an “on” TV - house was supposed to be unoccupied.
http://www.fireislandnews.info/police-blotter-mainmenu-71?start=14

June 29, 2009: 11:38 pm – Report of someone screaming.
There are other interesting incidences reported on this page.
http://www.fireislandnews.info/police-blotter-mainmenu-71?start=16

July 7, 2007: 10:10 am – Reported larceny of 2 back cushions from a sofa & 1 throw pillow.
There are other interesting incidences reported on this page.
http://www.fireislandnews.info/poli...beach-blotter-missing-cushions-found-a-hookah

May 30, 2010: 2:50pm – Reports of a woman running down a road yelling for help.
http://www.fireislandnews.info/poli...3-ocean-beach-pd-bar-fights-and-blaring-beats

Here is the link to the police blotter main page:
http://www.fireislandnews.info/police-blotter-mainmenu-71

I can't wait to see everyone's thoughts and opinions about what's in this blotter.

Wow. Alot of real interesting info in there!

It is very possible the local police have had some dealings with the SK in the past...and maybe they don't know it yet.

Wow. Alot of real interesting info in there!

It is very possible the local police have had some dealings with the SK in the past...and maybe they don't know it yet.

That police blotter reads like the police blotters of every other suburban neighborhood. Oak Beach, Gilgo and the rest of Ocean Parkway are not part of Fire Island.

Posting the Fire Island police blotter is as random to this case as posting the blotter for any town other than Babylon or Manorville.

If you want to kill a CDMA/GSM signal, the easiest way is to put it in a lead lined bag or case, or remove the antenna, or wrap in in an xray blanket. ;0).

Or if your just trying to clone/hack it....Pull the SIM card out. Granted it's not CDMA. CDMA carriers did not have removable SIM cards in their phones until recently. Plus not all phones store contacts/info on the SIM card.

As for the PenTest. I have worked very close with certain agencies that have required regulated testing on network infrastructure. This includes various 'attacks' on system security. MHO is this person/persons is techno savy but not anyone that develops code or even understands the workings of these devices. If he had knowledge of how to 'hack' these devices, the outcome would be much more sinister. It's not that hard to look at someone contacts and turn the phone on and off. The only thing I can think might be a changer in this, is the knowledge of how the towers work and that they can give GPS of the phone. How the phone can be found even if its not being used in a call. This also leads to the question of the shape of Shannons phone? Are we to believe she shut if off, removed the battery and lost it? Was it found with the battery out? This person has a good understanding of communications, or at least the resources close enough to ask questions.

My2Cents....

Just to be clear, post #62 of this thread was my attempt to present a possible scenario in which Faraday bags might have been used by the perp if he did use Faraday bags. I'm sorry that I didn't make it clearer that I was merely speculating.

In fact, one need not to have physical possession of a cell phone or other electronic device in order to to hack/crack it. Here are two links that explain this (the second one is kinda crazy).

How to Hack Cell Phones better than News of the World
IT World
http://www.itworld.com/security/181313/how-hack-cell-phone-voice-mail-better-news-world

How to Remotely Hack Into Wi-Fi Networks and Cell-Phone Calls
Kurzweil
http://www.kurzweilai.net/how-to-remotely-hack-into-wi-fi-networks-and-cell-phone-calls

Now, about the lead lined bag idea. From what I understand lead would not provide effective shielding against the radio wave spectrum. Lead is better at blocking what we think of as radiation-like x-rays. That is why Faraday cages, bags etc. are not made out of lead. Usually copper and sometimes steel are used for Faraday cages and copper mesh for the bags. Radio waves and x-rays have different wavelengths and frequencies: Radio waves have long wavelengths and low frequencies. X-rays have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies.

Here is another thing I should of clarified in my previous post (I apologize for not doing so): I didn't mean to suggest a direct correlation between the possibility of the perp being a “penetration tester” and hacking/cracking phones. The “penetration tester” idea came to me as I was pondering the idea of the perp being gainfully employed (if he is employed at all). I thought the perp might be attracted to the IT/computer field due to his craving for control. After all, what does a computer programmer do but write orders via code and, if all goes well, the computer will comply. In short, it could give the perp a way to make something do something at his command. Part of my theory includes the possibility that the perp has not only been physically stalking his victims and people in his community but that he has been cyberstalking them as well. All of this possible stalking might take a lot of time. Would it be a full time job in and of itself? If the perp is employed in the IT/computer field I thought “penetration testing” could be a good fit for him. It could give him – maybe - a flexible schedule, the ability to work from anywhere (I know of some pen-testers who have flexible schedules and work from various locations) and the ability to stalk while he's working. It could also give him -maybe- a good excuse to have Faraday stuff , surveillance equipment (maybe), lotsa gadgets, a “special room” in his house and a reason to write all of that stuff off at tax time.

My intention in my previous post about "penetration testing" and phone hacking/cracking was meant to convey the level of paranoia I felt after reading about each subject and not to suggest a direct relationship. I should of made that clearer.

Your questions about Shannan's phone are excellent! We will need to answer them to move forward.

That police blotter reads like the police blotters of every other suburban neighborhood. Oak Beach, Gilgo and the rest of Ocean Parkway are not part of Fire Island.

Posting the Fire Island police blotter is as random to this case as posting the blotter for any town other than Babylon or Manorville.

From what I've read in the police blotter of Fire Island Press, information from the Ocean Beach Fire Department, Ocean Beach Police Department , the Suffolk County Police Department and Nassau County are included.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Could you provide clarification so that I can better understand what you mean?

Thanks!

From what I've read in the police blotter of Fire Island Press, information from the Ocean Beach Fire Department, Ocean Beach Police Department , the Suffolk County Police Department and Nassau County are included.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Could you provide clarification so that I can better understand what you mean?

Thanks!

I can't speak for Seaslug but as someone who spends summers on Fire Island I can tell you that the Fire Island News publishes the police blotter for what happens on Fire Island. The biggest community there is called Ocean Beach, and I think some people are getting that confused with Oak Beach. I can also say that the police blotter is usually a source of amusement for beachgoers - it's usually filled with things like "a man was arrested on suchandsuch walk for urinating in public" - "a noise complaint was made about a house on blahblah; when police arrived the party had ended and everyone was asleep" etc etc. - the most mundane, often trivial things you can imagine, because generally speaking nothing really happens there! I doubt a SK would be at work on Fire Island during the summer season (which is when the FIN and the police blotter is published) - it would be very difficult to hide anything there - it's just not the optimum place to carry anything like that out (as explained in previous posts, for one thing, there are no cars allowed on Fire island.) Never say never of course, but trust me, that police blotter is not cause for concern. The only thing that raised my eyebrows was a woman running screaming down a street - because that will ALWAYS grab my attention, for the rest of my life (I think it would have anyway but especially now) but that happened in a busy area in the middle of Ocean Beach in the middle of the day on a holiday weekend. There's a lot of young, hard partying sharehouse-ers there, so who knows. (But a lot of families too!)

I have never found anything that backed up the claim that possibly 5/6 years ago a women escaped from Oak Beach Area after men tried to grab her. I chuck it up to rumor or someone trying to plant info in our heads unconsciously. It was stated a few times last month on the LISK site and mentioned here also as an interest.
I mention this because that is great police blotter info, have you come across this at all btw?

I remember reading that claim too but never anything that substantiated it. But make sure you don't confuse Oak Beach with Ocean Beach. Oak Beach is completely different and would not be on the Fire Island police blotter.

The only thing that raised my eyebrows was a woman running screaming down a street - because that will ALWAYS grab my attention, for the rest of my life (I think it would have anyway but especially now) but that happened in a busy area in the middle of Ocean Beach in the middle of the day on a holiday weekend. There's a lot of young, hard partying sharehouse-ers there, so who knows. (But a lot of families too!)
<rsbm>

That specific event in its entirety reads:

2:50 p.m. There were multiple reports of a woman running down Wilmot Road yelling for help. Officers reported a child had a head injury at Wilmot Road and Midway Walk. Fire Command and Ocean Beach Fire/Rescue were notified.

Just to be clear, post #62 of this thread was my attempt to present a possible scenario in which Faraday bags might have been used by the perp if he did use Faraday bags. I'm sorry that I didn't make it clearer that I was merely speculating.

In fact, one need not to have physical possession of a cell phone or other electronic device in order to to hack/crack it. Here are two links that explain this (the second one is kinda crazy).

How to Hack Cell Phones better than News of the World
IT World
http://www.itworld.com/security/181313/how-hack-cell-phone-voice-mail-better-news-world

How to Remotely Hack Into Wi-Fi Networks and Cell-Phone Calls
Kurzweil
http://www.kurzweilai.net/how-to-remotely-hack-into-wi-fi-networks-and-cell-phone-calls

Now, about the lead lined bag idea. From what I understand lead would not provide effective shielding against the radio wave spectrum. Lead is better at blocking what we think of as radiation-like x-rays. That is why Faraday cages, bags etc. are not made out of lead. Usually copper and sometimes steel are used for Faraday cages and copper mesh for the bags. Radio waves and x-rays have different wavelengths and frequencies: Radio waves have long wavelengths and low frequencies. X-rays have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies.

Here is another thing I should of clarified in my previous post (I apologize for not doing so): I didn't mean to suggest a direct correlation between the possibility of the perp being a “penetration tester” and hacking/cracking phones. The “penetration tester” idea came to me as I was pondering the idea of the perp being gainfully employed (if he is employed at all). I thought the perp might be attracted to the IT/computer field due to his craving for control. After all, what does a computer programmer do but write orders via code and, if all goes well, the computer will comply. In short, it could give the perp a way to make something do something at his command. Part of my theory includes the possibility that the perp has not only been physically stalking his victims and people in his community but that he has been cyberstalking them as well. All of this possible stalking might take a lot of time. Would it be a full time job in and of itself? If the perp is employed in the IT/computer field I thought “penetration testing” could be a good fit for him. It could give him – maybe - a flexible schedule, the ability to work from anywhere (I know of some pen-testers who have flexible schedules and work from various locations) and the ability to stalk while he's working. It could also give him -maybe- a good excuse to have Faraday stuff , surveillance equipment (maybe), lotsa gadgets, a “special room” in his house and a reason to write all of that stuff off at tax time.

My intention in my previous post about "penetration testing" and phone hacking/cracking was meant to convey the level of paranoia I felt after reading about each subject and not to suggest a direct relationship. I should of made that clearer.

Your questions about Shannan's phone are excellent! We will need to answer them to move forward.

Ok I get your drift. The whole control factor is a good way to look at a possible job. Consultant in the private sector (any industry) almost always involves a high level of control and a flexible schedule.

Your first link is very interesting, It basically states that 'hacking' a phone is easy but even easier then that is using some 'social engineering'. That is absolutely correct.

I bet this person is a very good social engineer. Getting the girls to leave their house with no phones? That's social engineering. I don't know very many people in IT that have those skills. What field will need people skills / social engineering / and involve control?

Looks like I am gonna be busy the next few weeks. I just went and researched the NY Sex Crimes site for Suffolk co. and came up with 75 convicted sex offenders who fit the "Profile". I then narrowed it down to 22 "high riskers" who were not incarsarated from 2007 to 2010, to fit the "theory" of the GB4 being seperate from the rest. I know I cannot post the result here, but I am frustrated in the whole CPH hacking going on and wanted to do something more productive. And when I'm done, I will move on to Nassau co. A monster task I tell you. Stay sharp sleuthers. Wish me luck.

I just wanted to post this here, it is still bugging me. Where are all her clothes?

I believe it was only speculation that there was a bag of a change of clothes. I personally don't see why she would have a change of clothes unless she was inclined to change into a sexier top or a dress. A change of shoes can change an outfit. It was also reported - I believe in her missing person's report initially - that she was wearing black strappy sandals. I'm thinking she went from ballet flats at the movie to boots to her NYC calls to sandals in Oak Beach. But that's just my speculation....

Do you a have a link to the thigh-high boots info and if so can you post it? Thanks!

I can't speak for Seaslug but as someone who spends summers on Fire Island I can tell you that the Fire Island News publishes the police blotter for what happens on Fire Island. The biggest community there is called Ocean Beach, and I think some people are getting that confused with Oak Beach. I can also say that the police blotter is usually a source of amusement for beachgoers - it's usually filled with things like "a man was arrested on suchandsuch walk for urinating in public" - "a noise complaint was made about a house on blahblah; when police arrived the party had ended and everyone was asleep" etc etc. - the most mundane, often trivial things you can imagine, because generally speaking nothing really happens there! I doubt a SK would be at work on Fire Island during the summer season (which is when the FIN and the police blotter is published) - it would be very difficult to hide anything there - it's just not the optimum place to carry anything like that out (as explained in previous posts, for one thing, there are no cars allowed on Fire island.) Never say never of course, but trust me, that police blotter is not cause for concern. The only thing that raised my eyebrows was a woman running screaming down a street - because that will ALWAYS grab my attention, for the rest of my life (I think it would have anyway but especially now) but that happened in a busy area in the middle of Ocean Beach in the middle of the day on a holiday weekend. There's a lot of young, hard partying sharehouse-ers there, so who knows. (But a lot of families too!)

Thanks for pointing out that people often confuse Ocean Beach with Oak Beach because that is exactly what I did. Ooops!

But, I would like to point out that there is information from the Suffolk County Police Department and the Nassau County Police Department in the blotter.

<rsbm>

That specific event in its entirety reads:

I don't know what you mean by that.

Oh, you mean because she was running for help for the child. Yeah, I know that, I just meant there was nothing in the blotter that grabbed me except for that and that was only because I'm hyper-sensitive now to any description of a woman running down a street yelling for help, no matter what the reason! In other words, there wasn't anything in the blotter that was, in my opinion, noteworthy.

Ok I get your drift. The whole control factor is a good way to look at a possible job. Consultant in the private sector (any industry) almost always involves a high level of control and a flexible schedule.

Your first link is very interesting, It basically states that 'hacking' a phone is easy but even easier then that is using some 'social engineering'. That is absolutely correct.

I bet this person is a very good social engineer. Getting the girls to leave their house with no phones? That's social engineering. I don't know very many people in IT that have those skills. What field will need people skills / social engineering / and involve control?

How much “social engineering” does it take to exploit people who are in dire straits? A prime example of this is that serial killer in Ohio who was just caught. He was able to lure men with the promise of a job at $300 per week.

http://www.businessinsider.com/scary-three-men-answer-craigslist-job-ad-and-wind-up-dead-2011-12

Wasn't Maureen Brainerd-Barnes financially strapped, facing eviction and had a family to support? Wasn't Amber Lynn Costello broke and dealing with substance abuse issues (the job she booked was supposed to pay her $1500)?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/04/17/terror-on-long-island.html

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/long_island_deals_with_latest.html

I am working for the information put forth by Melissa Barthelemy's family attornery, Steven Cohen, that the perp is in his late 20s to his late 30s and is white.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18559_162-20078763.html?pageNum=2&tag=contentMain;contentBody

IMO, this perp has just enough range of mimicry to pass as human for a limited amount of time. It doesn't take long before he works that last dangling nerve of those of whom he comes into contact. I think that might be one of the reasons why he uses the internet to look for potential victims. He doesn't have the ability to charm, IMO.

If the perp is employed, he is in a job that has minimal, if any, contact with the public, IMO. One of the posters here theorized that the perp was a trust fund baby and a loser. IMO, that is the mostly likely scenario in addition to being a competent computer hacker/cracker, stalker and cyberstalker. All the stalking and killing he does is his full-time job (I bet it requires a lot of time too), IMO.

Thanks for pointing out that people often confuse Ocean Beach with Oak Beach because that is exactly what I did. Ooops!

But, I would like to point out that there is information from the Suffolk County Police Department and the Nassau County Police Department in the blotter.

That's because the Suffolk County Police Dept. handles Fire Island on the west end and I think Nassau does the east end. Everything reported in the blotter still happened on Fire Island, not on the mainland.

(Incidentally, here's a perfect example of the type of police blotter entry that provides amusement for Fire Island inhabitants:

"A Fire Island Pines man reported that a house guest refused to leave after three weeks. Officers compelled the man to pack his things and leave." I like that one!)

But that's not to say it's impossible that something could happen there or have a connection or provide a clue or whatever. (After all, the legs of one victim were found on the shore of the westernmost community, Davis Park. Mind you, I think Truthspider had an explanation of tides and currents and how they might have washed up there.) I'm just saying generally speaking I wouldn't say the Fire Island News Police Blotter is a treasure trove of information pertinent to this case. But you never know, right? I think that's what sleuthing is all about.

I forget, did we ever figure out if there was any truth behind this statement?

CBS News

There still remains one 911 caller who was never identified ever by the police.

Is it possible that CPH was that caller?

Is this one of the reasons why they were so quick to rule him out as a suspect?

Or is this another one of CPH's made-up heroic moments?

Something I have known for some time and have not shared on here is that back in august the head of homicide did not think that cph was the lisk, and that that was his opinon and not necessarily the opinon of LE entirely. Granted I can't be sure that he would have expressed his true opinon to the person he was talking to, but I do know the statement was made.

I only feel ok saying this now that we know how much internal conflict there is within LE and the DA's office about this case. Also, due to the new (December) "1 killer" theory, that would imply in August they were at least entertaining the multi killer theory.

Clearly that LE official has more information than I do (we do), and it still hasn't swayed my opinion at all. Truth or not, it does lead me to believe that he was never "cleared".

I believe it was only speculation that there was a bag of a change of clothes. I personally don't see why she would have a change of clothes unless she was inclined to change into a sexier top or a dress. A change of shoes can change an outfit. It was also reported - I believe in her missing person's report initially - that she was wearing black strappy sandals. I'm thinking she went from ballet flats at the movie to boots to her NYC calls to sandals in Oak Beach. But that's just my speculation....

Do you a have a link to the thigh-high boots info and if so can you post it? Thanks!

ugh I am now on an iPad and can't work it to great. I did this morning post the clothing links that I have seen in the facts thread I made. Otherwise tomorrow I can. I am borrowing my sons lap top day time now. Mine is still broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18