NY - Long Island, Car Plows into Nail Salon, 4 Dead, 9 Injured, 06/28/2024

Or a stuck accelerator??

Tragic. My heart goes out to the injured, the families, and the community. A beautiful Friday summer afternoon and people at the nail salon literally plowed down.

jmo
Could be, could be. Or maybe someone accidentally pushing on the accelerator instead of the brakes? It just seemed odd they couldn’t say a single thing about anyone involved. A witness said he heard a speeding car, he’d never heard anything like it.

Last edited:
Emergency services at scene of car crash into Hawaii Nail & Spa building causing fatalities and injuries

“There were people trapped and we extricated them and transported everyone to area hospitals,” Deer Park Third Assistant Chief Dominic Albanese told Newsday.“They were trapped inside. Everybody was inside the salon.”

“It’s horrible. It’s horrible. It can be tough for the community and tougher for the volunteer fire department, but you know we’re going to get through it,” Albanese added.

The nail salon is located in a strip mall on Grand Boulevard near Commack Road that includes a liquor store and a tattoo parlor.

More than 150 firefighters and EMS workers responded to what the Deer Park Fire Department called a “mass casualty event.” :(

"The driver of the van is believed to be one of the survivors.

Records show that the van had never received a traffic violation."

Locals, witness, and patrons speak.
From the link:

"The driver was taken to the hospital and was partially conscious.

'Somebody saw that the man was driving and he came from this parking lot from Kohl's and he was trying to pass somebody, and then they pretty much ran right into the nail salon and you could hear people screaming and yelling,' said Danielle Tanis."

Police: Driver charged with DWI following deadly crash at Deer Park nail salon

Authorities say three women and one man died after 64-year-old Steven Schwally drove through Hawaii Nail & Spa on Grand Boulevard. Nine other people were also injured in the incident.

"Steven Schwally was driving a 2020 Chevy Traverse southbound at a high rate of speed through the parking lot in front of 421 Commack Road, then crossed over Grand Boulevard and continued through the parking lot of 794 Grand Boulevard, where he crashed the vehicle through the front window of Hawaii Nail & Spa, at 4:32 p.m."

This exact thing happened years ago at my hair salon. Woman was drunk in the parking lot that was shared with the local wine shop…hit the accelerator instead of the brakes and went straight through the huge glass storefront while we were all inside. Thankfully, no one was hurt because no one happened to be in the lobby area at the time! The receptionist had actually just walked back to use the bathroom!

My heart breaks for the loved ones of those that lost their lives so senselessly. I really, really wish people wouldn’t drink and drive— I’m of the (very unpopular) belief that even one or two drinks is too many when you’re getting into a car to drive. But, drunk drivers ruin lives and we see it time and time again :(

MOO.

I’m of the (very unpopular) belief that even one or two drinks is too many when you’re getting into a car to drive. But, drunk drivers ruin lives and we see it time and time again :(

MOO.
snipped

Not an unpopular belief with me!

My father was killed by a driver who had been drinking. It happened on a beautiful afternoon, very similar to the type of day yesterday was when this tragedy happened. (My point being, drivers under the influence are dangerous no matter the time - it's not just a nighttime or weekend hazard.)

I don't care what the legal limit is, for me it is ZERO.

jmo

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpeg
    IMG_1642.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 7

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads