Identified! NY - Manhattan, 'Midtown Jane Doe', WhtFem 16-21, 337UFNY, under concrete, ring w/ 'P McG', Feb'03 Patricia McGlone

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Don't have much to add to the thread. Thought I'd share this video I found from reporter Michael Daly, who was a crime reporter for NY Daily News for years. He talks about the Irish gangsters who ran Hell's Kitchen.

It reminded me of something MadamX posted, about Steve Paul losing The Scene club at 301 W 46th St b/c he refused to pay protection money to the "NY Mafia"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scene_(performance_venue)

Michael Daly describes the relationship between the gangsters & the local precinct, Midtown North (which investigated MJD). Including a time when a guy wanted to open a French bistro on 42nd St, 2 Irish mobsters told him he had to pay protection money. When the guy called police about it, the detective asked what the mobsters' names were. When the guy said "Coonan & Featherstone," the detective told the guy to pay the protection money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJCPW7SMGg

No date is given for this story but it had to be before 1986, when Mickey Featherstone was convicted of murder & eventually went into the witness protection program.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Featherstone

New York, New York, a helluva town

Don't have much to add to the thread. Thought I'd share this video I found from reporter Michael Daly, who was a crime reporter for NY Daily News for years. He talks about the Irish gangsters who ran Hell's Kitchen.

It reminded me of something MadamX posted, about Steve Paul losing The Scene club at 301 W 46th St b/c he refused to pay protection money to the "NY Mafia"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scene_(performance_venue)

Michael Daly describes the relationship between the gangsters & the local precinct, Midtown North (which investigated MJD). Including a time when a guy wanted to open a French bistro on 42nd St, 2 Irish mobsters told him he had to pay protection money. When the guy called police about it, the detective asked what the mobsters' names were. When the guy said "Coonan & Featherstone," the detective told the guy to pay the protection money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJCPW7SMGg

No date is given for this story but it had to be before 1986, when Mickey Featherstone was convicted of murder & eventually went into the witness protection program.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Featherstone

New York, New York, a helluva town

Oh Darksleuth thanks for that video!

and speaking of NY Mafia... I just came across this case tonight and thought of the infamous Midtown doe... I started a thread for this guy since he did not have one... but it seems identical except its a man

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...le-30-45-In-Concrete-in-Basement-Sept-15-1999

Oh Darksleuth thanks for that video!

and speaking of NY Mafia... I just came across this case tonight and thought of the infamous Midtown doe... I started a thread for this guy since he did not have one... but it seems identical except its a man

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...le-30-45-In-Concrete-in-Basement-Sept-15-1999

Thnx MadamX! As a side note, I can listen to Michael Daly tell NY stories all day. He's wonderful.

Just looked at the thread you created for the Brooklyn John Doe. Yup, agree w/ you, definitely looks like a Mafia case.

Great work on creating the thread and bringing attention to that case!

West 142nd Street and Lenox Ave. is not in East Harlem - it is on the west side of Manhattan- could be considered Hamilton Heights neighborhood or West Harlem. More blacks than Hispanics. There was also a case with a black woman's remains found in the basement of what was once a nightclub in Tribeca (think it is now a restaurant?)

Hi Madamx,

I think that this case is an interesting find, and I can certainly see what would remind you of Midtown Jane Doe, but given that both cases are NYC ones... well it gives me pause.

The area where this Jane Doe was found on 143 W 142nd Street is East Harlem. East Harlem is a place that has a high poverty rate, and in the 70s & 80s it would have been worse- especially w/ the crack epidemic. The area has a lot of public housing. You have high concentration of people, some of whom may have been very transient back in the 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Harlem

Photos of the area from 1980s, gives you a feel for the place:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2017/sep/09/spanish-harlem-in-the-1980s-in-pictures

Also, for those not familiar, East Harlem is also home to Spanish Harlem and a lot of people of Puerto Rican descent, plus other Latino communities.

Given how big NYC is and how dangerous it used to be 70s, 80s, even much of 90s, these cases may not be related. It's sad that there's so little info on West 142nd Street Jane Doe.

Monica died in Peru around 1988-1989..and dont remember any names tho.

I have posted so many times on this thread I don't know if I ever posted this before..Icant remember!:confused: anyhoo.. I thought it has some good info.

NYC 1977: 10/01/1977 - 11/01/1977

Sunday, October 30, 1977
Pimps Establish Recruiting Link To the Midwest

Two Minneapolis policemen will search the streets of midtown Manhattan next week for hundreds of Middle Western teenagers who have been lured into lives as prostitutes in New York.

Besides trying to get the youngsters to return to their homes, the Minneapolis officers will be looking for more evidence of a recruiting pipeline.

“We have a tremendous amount of young women entrapped into prostitution and in a short time they are taken to New York,” said one of the officers.

The pimps are targeting Minneapolis because the city has become a magnet for thousands of teenage runaways in the upper midwest.

Last year 400 teenagers from the Minn. area were picked up by pimps and sent to New York. The overall number in the last couple of years “must be a least a thousand and the problem is getting bigger and bigger.”

The first indication of a prostitution connection between New York and Minn. came in the early 1970s when vice squad detectives began arresting young blond women from the midwest for streetwalking in the Times Square area. A section of Eighth Avenue was named the Minnesota strip.

New York pimps have stepped up recruiting efforts because blond Scandinavian types are much in demand in the city. About 200 New York pimps have been identified as looking for prostitutes in Minneapolis. The women are induced to prostitute themselves in Minn. first as a training session and to earn the plane fare to New York.

“The pimps tell the girls – and this is partially true – that if they are arrested in New York, identification checks are not as thorough as in Minneapolis and their ages won’t be known.” A 16-year-old said she was arrested 40 times without her true age and identity being ascertained. There were 6,000 prostitution arrests last year in New York City.

One girl had her nose broken and her face gouged by her pimp. Another had her jaw broken. A 16-year-old who was recruited when she was 14 told Minn. police she turned over more than $100,000 to her pimp in an 18-month period.

NYT Raab 10/30/77

one more I found.
NYC 1977: 11/01/1977 - 12/01/1977

Thursday, November 10, 1977
Prostitutes From Midwest Vanish From 8th Avenue During Hunt by Visiting Police

“The pimps have pulled all the white girls from the Midwest off the streets,” a prostitute told the two Minn. policemen. “You ain’t going to find one of them tonight mister.”

On foot and riding in an unmarked New York police car, the two Min. policemen got their first intensive look at Midtown Manhattan’s sleazy “Minnesota Strip.”

“We realize all of the publicity about our visit might keep the streets clean for a few days.” The policemen flew home last night saying they would return soon without advance notice to resume looking for about 400 girls who they believe are recruited every year in Minn. by New York-based pimps.

Covenant House received calls from terrified young women who had heard about the offer to return home. But they also received threatening calls from pimps who said, “Tell those rednecks from Minneapolis that they won’t take a girl home alive,” Father Bruce Ritter of Covenant House said.

Tuesday, November 08, 1977
An Appeal To Girls On ‘Minnesota Strip’

Two Minneapolis police officers, in an unusual mission, wee prevented yesterday by heavy rains from beginning a search along Eighth Avenue’s notorious ‘Minnesota Strip’ for Midwestern teenagers who have become prostitutes in New York.

“There is a no-strings-atttached safety valve for any young woman who want to return home,” said Lieut. Gary McGaughey in his appeal to hundreds of teenagers from the Minneapolis area believed to have been lured into lives of prostitutes here.

‘Safe houses” have been established in Minneapolis partly because many parents refused to accept the teen-age girls after learning that they had been prostitutes.

?
Leigh Marine Occhi – The Charley Project
Leigh Marine Occhi
  • leigh_marine_occhi_1.jpg
  • leigh_marine_occhi_2.jpg
  • leigh_marine_occhi_3.jpg
  • leigh_marine_occhi_4.jpg
Leigh, circa 1992; Age-progression to age 31 (circa 2011)

• Missing Since 08/27/1992
  • Missing From Tupelo, Mississippi
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 08/21/1979 (39)
  • Age 13 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'10, 95 pounds

So, I stumbled across this, and I found it intriguing. I have read through all the pages and a thought occurred to me that I thought I should share.

Much is made about the dates of various objects found.
The watch being made in the 60’s I don’t believe is very significant, because quality watches, such as Bullova can run for decades with minimal work. You can find such a watch on eBay in full working order today. Just the same. If I dig into my jar of change I can find coins from the 60s.

The rat poison, (presuming it was entombed with the Skelton, could have been in the basement for any period of time after the established(?) 1979.

What crossed my mind was...

What if this woman was killed long before being entombed in the concrete? Is it not possible that the killer took her life some time before the concrete tomb was made? Perhaps stashing her corpse in another location, before, for whatever reason, deciding for a more permenant and in their mind secure location? To me the tomb seems like something that took time, effort, and probably more than one person to accomplish. It also seems to me the person who did this was confident that nobody would notice the tomb, which likely connects them to the building. It would be rather bold to install a 6ish foot concrete coffin in a basement of a building unless you were confident nobody would notice or care.

A lot of work went into this, I agree with those who mentioned the organized crime angle.

I lived there in 1988 and the Super didnt speak english and was in the basement a lot of the time..could've been him
I really have a strong feeling it was the super also. I wish we knew what type of rug if it was a full rug or if it was a cut out piece of a larger rug as many apartments back then had wall to wall carpeting. My question is if they ever checked any of the bricked up apartments for anything.

Just my gut feeling, but I don't think the super was involved in her murder. I strongly believe it was someone connected to the building who did not actually work there (as in, not a super or porter). The building owner, or property manager.

I came across this girl April Ernst was killed by her boyfriend in 1980 after she went to a disco and found her biyfriend with another woman. What I thought was interesting is he was convicted even though there was no body.
These things stuck out after reading more articles. He was part of the mob. She did drugs. Last place she was seen was at a disco. He said he strangle her.
Now he has different stories he told but said she would not be found. He did say he chopped her up and put her in a garbage truck (don't know how much of that is true. But anyway just thought it was interesting ( since another theory was the Mob angle.

http://www.nobodycases.com/no_body2.pdf

New York Magazine

This link has some of the dates are mixed up but I thought I would post also.

A reputed member of the Gambino organized crime family...

Seeing the ring, I think the initials of the person are P G Mc, not P McG. Monograms like this always have the last initial the largest in the middle. So the person's name would be something like Patricia Grace McDonald (just making up the names here) versus necessarily McG-something. Of course the ring doesn't necessarily have to be the Jane Doe's initials, it could be those of a relative or just a ring she found, too.

I think the toy is very much a red herring - it's a basement of an apartment building, is it such a stretch that a kid could have dropped a toy?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back