NY NY - Manhattan, WhtFem, UP104647, 70-80, found unresponsive after residential fire, tentative name Gilda Abramowitz, March 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Bernard from David and Fannie does appear to be a different child born on the same day.

'Just seemed strangely coincidental but I always have a suspicious mind... and I think it was heightened by fact Abrams was used as the last name initially (and other times) then Abramowitz... but I also realize it's possible other factors could have been involved in this decision.

ETA: I remember you from the Spizzari/PA thread... any update on that case? (Were you in contact with a family member and LE?)

Last edited:
Wondering if the neighbours were mistaken and her and her partner were not technically married? Oscar may have been her husband, hence her name, and then the later man (T from the lawsuit?) was a partner but they didn't marry. Gilda is referred to as 'ms' which can be used by any woman but is often used by women who are widowed or divorced. From the lawsuit (and it does sound like it might be the same woman as it's 113 31st street) it sounds like T had a stroke and was in poor health as of 2020.

Or Abramowitz was her maiden name (as with some of these Gildas) and she and her 'husband' never legally married.

'Just seemed strangely coincidental but I always have a suspicious mind... and I think it was heightened by fact Abrams was used as the last name initially (and other times) then Abramowitz... but I also realize it's possible other factors could have been involved in this decision.

ETA: I remember you from the Spizzari/PA thread... any update on that case? (Were you in contact with a family member and LE?)
It's possible the two families were related. It's Ashkenazi custom to name after a deceased relative, and we're not very creative with these names. My great-grandfather had a cousin with the same name who lived down the street, and some of their siblings had the same names as well. I'm curious about Abrams/Abramowitz naturalization as he was seemingly born here...

Last I heard about the Spizzirri case, the medical examiner was trying to get access to old patient files from the state hospitals. It's been a while since I've heard anything but I think about that case often.

Wondering if the neighbours were mistaken and her and her partner were not technically married? Oscar may have been her husband, hence her name, and then the later man (T from the lawsuit?) was a partner but they didn't marry. Gilda is referred to as 'ms' which can be used by any woman but is often used by women who are widowed or divorced. From the lawsuit (and it does sound like it might be the same woman as it's 113 31st street) it sounds like T had a stroke and was in poor health as of 2020.

Or Abramowitz was her maiden name (as with some of these Gildas) and she and her 'husband' never legally married.
Oscar was her father and Abramowitz was her maiden name. It is not clear if she was ever married. I posted the 1950 census above -- she was a year old, living with her parents Oscar and Mary.

It's possible the two families were related. It's Ashkenazi custom to name after a deceased relative, and we're not very creative with these names. My great-grandfather had a cousin with the same name who lived down the street, and some of their siblings had the same names as well. I'm curious about Abrams/Abramowitz naturalization as he was seemingly born here...

Last I heard about the Spizzirri case, the medical examiner was trying to get access to old patient files from the state hospitals. It's been a while since I've heard anything but I think about that case often.

There's also a Soc Sec Admin claim notation - relationship of signature difference (I find it odd, but again, maybe it's just me) ETA: At this point I'm not sure who anyone actually was.

NameBernard Abrams[Oscar Bernard Abramowitz][Oscar Abramowitz]
GenderMale
RaceWhite
Birth Date2 Dec 1917
Birth PlaceBrooklyn, New York
Death Date25 Feb 2006
FatherIsidore Abrams
MotherYetta Feldhun
SSN055103845
Signature on SSN CardBernard Abrams
Relationship of SignatureSignature name differs from NH’s name.
NotesNov 1936: Name listed as BERNARD ABRAMS; : Name listed as OSCAR BERNARD ABRAMOWITZ; 12 Apr 2006: Name listed as OSCAR B ABRAMOWITZ

Last edited:
There's also a Soc Sec Admin claim notation - relationship of signature difference (I find it odd, but again, maybe it's just me) ETA: At this point I'm not sure who anyone actually was.

NameBernard Abrams[Oscar Bernard Abramowitz][Oscar Abramowitz]
GenderMale
RaceWhite
Birth Date2 Dec 1917
Birth PlaceBrooklyn, New York
Death Date25 Feb 2006
FatherIsidore Abrams
MotherYetta Feldhun
SSN055103845
Signature on SSN CardBernard Abrams
Relationship of SignatureSignature name differs from NH’s name.
NotesNov 1936: Name listed as BERNARD ABRAMS; : Name listed as OSCAR BERNARD ABRAMOWITZ; 12 Apr 2006: Name listed as OSCAR B ABRAMOWITZ

Do we have two unidentified people here? The Oscar is the unidentified one and that's why Gilda cannot be "found".
I think we need to put all the known info in one post because I think the first posts are incorrect.
Gilda at the address was born May 1948, and this Oscar was her father as far as I know, but idk, also said to live at that address, no husband of Gilda mentioned.
Also, my profile picture is the most famous Gilda ever!
I will put my thinking brain on tomorrow.

I haven't heard back from my reinforcement person @StarrChance yet. I found this info:

OBA born Dec 2 1917

Naturalization Petition filed 1939 (age 22) name Bernard Abrams living at 331 E 12th St NY, NY

parents Isidore and Yetta F

(There's a draft registration filed Oct 1940 (Brown hair, and eye color Gray), Yetta is the next of kin)

He possibly married Aug 1946 to Mary P Cohen

And, in 1947 he was studying at New York Medical College and Flower Hospital

BUT, what has me puzzled is this...

Bernard Abramowitz
born Dec 2 1917
NY
died Mar 24 1921
Lutheran Hosp Brooklyn NY
buried Mar 25 1921
parents David Abramowitz and Fannie Abramowitz

I know "Oscar" isn't part of the name in the 2nd birth/death record but it's the same date of birth. I'm not sure where I've made the mistake. Or maybe two children with nearly same name born on same day to different parents?
Thanks fred&edna for tapping me in, tricky case!
After looking at everything I tend to believe she is the Gilda G Abramowitz born in 1948. Her father being the Oscar Bernard Abramowitz. From the 1950 census brother Bennett Israel Abramowutz.. Perhaps TB was a partner but people assumed married. Hopefully this makes some sense, I’ll give it a try…
Bennett married a Mary Glicksman.
Her fathers obituary mentions grandchildren, I found their son John Bennett Abramowitz (Texas)
Detail Source
NameJohn Bennett Abramowitz
GenderMale
Birth Date22 Sep 1982
Birth PlaceDallas, Texas, USA
FatherBennett Israel Abramowitz
MotherMary Ann Glicksman
Roll number1982_0001

If authorities contacted him as a possible relation a dna test could be done?

Last edited:
It feels rare to have a case where we can actually do a lot of sleuthing. I think we've found the right Gilda after wading through other Gildas. Born in 1948 to Oscar Abramowitz, seems Abramowitz was her maiden name and she never officially married though she did have a partner who seems to have died (TB from the lawsuit probably). Should someone contact LE with the info about the possible nephew?

It feels rare to have a case where we can actually do a lot of sleuthing. I think we've found the right Gilda after wading through other Gildas. Born in 1948 to Oscar Abramowitz, seems Abramowitz was her maiden name and she never officially married though she did have a partner who seems to have died (TB from the lawsuit probably). Should someone contact LE with the info about the possible nephew?
Still finding bits and pieces , from 1985 possible niece

There's a beautiful new star bring. ing jubilation at General Cinemas
Opera House on University Drive. This new star is not on screen there, however. She's in the shining eyes of Opera House manager Hy Glicks- man. She is a newly-arrived grand- daughter, born on March 5. is Anne Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Bennett Abramowitz. Glicksman thus has become a
grandpappy for the second time. There also is a grandson, John Ben-
nett Abramowitz, 2½. And now, back to grand- daughters, may we say a few hun- dred words about a 3-year-old beau-
ty named Valerie Gordon ..
.?

Not sure if there’s enough information to pass on but there’s only so far we can go.

I have thought about calling the barber on the first floor.
I don't think he has been there all that long... it was once JUST the shoe repair.
But I think he may be willing to add clarification to her name and the assumed husband, who died last year.

Thanks fred&edna for tapping me in, tricky case!
After looking at everything I tend to believe she is the Gilda G Abramowitz born in 1948. Her father being the Oscar Bernard Abramowitz. From the 1950 census brother Bennett Israel Abramowutz.. Perhaps TB was a partner but people assumed married. Hopefully this makes some sense, I’ll give it a try…
Bennett married a Mary Glicksman.
Her fathers obituary mentions grandchildren, I found their son John Bennett Abramowitz (Texas)
Detail Source
NameJohn Bennett Abramowitz
GenderMale
Birth Date22 Sep 1982
Birth PlaceDallas, Texas, USA
FatherBennett Israel Abramowitz
MotherMary Ann Glicksman
Roll number1982_0001

If authorities contacted him as a possible relation a dna test could be done?

You're here... yay!!

Oscar (Bernard) Abramowitz is also listed at that E 31st St address, maybe the husband.
Also a "Tamar Murthy".
Who lives at 113 31st St, New York NY | Property records at the Rehold

But fastpeoplesearch says Oscar died in February 2006, not 2022.
Says he lived there since 2000, previously in Florida.
https://www.fastpeoplesearch.com/oscar-abramowitz_id_G-5614243821791600096

Maybe someone with access to better databases can look him up.

The only person I can find with the TM name had addresses in Florida.

But, I suppose it could be Tamara/h as well as Murtha or other spelling variation.

I'm mostly just thinking aloud for trails possibly leading to our Gilda

The only person I can find with the TM name had addresses in Florida.

But, I suppose it could be Tamara/h as well as Murtha or other spelling variation.

I'm mostly just thinking aloud for trails possibly leading to our Gilda
Yes hard to know how that name ties in, maybe she relet some rooms? I’ll look some more.
Seems Bennett is a attorney in Texas and may still be practicing which would be a far easier avenue for authorities to contact.

Yes hard to know how that name ties in, maybe she relet some rooms? I’ll look some more.
Seems Bennett is a attorney in Texas and may still be practicing which would be a far easier avenue for authorities to contact.

Do you have a middle initial or name for Bennett... and did you find a birth record?

Last edited:
Do you have a middle initial or name for Bennett... and did you find a birth record?
Closest so far is 1950 census. However many records with Israel middle name.
Detail Source
NameOscar Abramowitz
Age32
Birth Dateabt 1918
GenderMale
RaceWhite
Birth PlaceNew York
Marital StatusMarried
Relation to Head of HouseHead
Residence Date1950
Home in 1950New York, Kings, New York, USA
Street NameWest 33 Street
House Number1708
Dwelling Number17
FarmNo
AcresNo
OccupationCopy Writer
IndustryPublishers
Occupation CategoryWorking
Hours Worked40
Worker ClassPrivate
Household Members (Name)AgeRelationship
Oscar Abramowitz32Head
Mary Abramowitz28Wife
Gilda Abramowitz1Daughter
Bennett Abramowitz1Son

Thank you all so much for the sleuthing! This case is really bothering me, I see why the police could only do a tentative ID. Apologies for the incorrect information in the initial post, if I could edit it I would remove the incorrect!

Based on the information gathered, I believe this is a more accurate summary:

There was a residential fire on March 24th, 2023 at 113 East 31st Street, New York, New York

1687372275040.png

1687372303711.png

Public records indicate Gilda Abramowitz at this address along with an Oscar B. Abramowitz and a Thomas Byrne at some point:

Gilda and Thomas filed a lawsuit against Clearwater Properties LLC and Rolling Reality LLC, the company that manages the building at East 31st Street:

Gilda signed the bottom of the paperwork:

1687372981168.png

Oscar B Abramowitz
in the U.S., Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 2

Detail Source
NameOscar B Abramowitz
Birth Date2 Dec 1917
Address113 E 31st St Apt 2b
Residence PlaceNew York, New York, USA
Zip Code10016-9511

Gilda Abramowitz
in the U.S., Phone and Address Directories, 1993-2002

Detail Source
NameGilda Abramowitz
Residence Years1993-1997
Address113 E 31St St
Residence PlaceNew York, New York, USA
Zip Code10016-9510
Phone Number212-532-2044
View NeighborsView Neighbors

Gilda appears to be the daughter of Oscar Abramowitz. A 1967 Coney Island Times article lists Gilda as one of the seven juniors at Lincoln High to win English achievement honors. The article lists her as the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Ambramowitz.

1687376074824.png

The 1950 census lists Gilda as the daughter of Oscar and Mary Abramowitz. She has a twin brother named Bennett:

Household Members (Name)AgeRelationship
Oscar Abramowitz32Head
Mary Abramowitz28Wife
Gilda Abramowitz1Daughter
Bennett Abramowitz1Son

Bennett Israel Abramowitz has lived in New York, Florida, and now Texas. He married Mary Ann Glickman and they have at least two children, John Bennett Abramowitz, and Anne Elizabeth Abramowitz.

I won't post their contact details since the above-mentioned people are living, but I believe they are solid leads for detectives to contact to attempt to identify this woman.

I have re-read all our posts. ..what a journey!! I do a lot of genealogy research, so this one has been fun.

But now I am full of questions.
I feel these latest posts are the right Gilda, but why are their even questions?? Didn't her family OWN this apartment for YEARS?? And since it was for so many years, was she not in touch with her brother all these years???

I believe Gilda and Thomas are referred to as husband and wife in the court case. IF they owned the property, why would they be suing apparent property managers?

Does anyone consider any foul play here???
I definitely want to better understand the lawsuit... Hopefully someone more familiar with NYC real estate can help..

Sigh.

I have re-read all our posts. ..what a journey!! I do a lot of genealogy research, so this one has been fun.

But now I am full of questions.
I feel these latest posts are the right Gilda, but why are their even questions?? Didn't her family OWN this apartment for YEARS?? And since it was for so many years, was she not in touch with her brother all these years???

I believe Gilda and Thomas are referred to as husband and wife in the court case. IF they owned the property, why would they be suing apparent property managers?

Does anyone consider any foul play here???
I definitely want to better understand the lawsuit... Hopefully someone more familiar with NYC real estate can help..

Sigh.

I share all your same questions and yep, I've considered foul play. It's quite the puzzle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exam_Dumps
Back