GUILTY NY - Marc Bookal, 4, Newburgh, 14 Dec 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Forensic Entomological decomp -- wikipedia *WARNING** GRAPHIC PICTURES AT LINK!**

Factors affecting decomposition
Understanding how a corpse decomposes and the factors that may alter the rate of decay is extremely important for evidence in death investigations. Campobasso, Vella, and Introna consider the factors that may inhibit or favor the colonization of insects to be vitally important when determining the time of insect colonization.

This page had some good info.. especially about half way down, it talks about thawing and cooling, insects, all sorts of stuff... it's just pretty graphic, and the picture at the top of the page is of a deceased kitty :( So if you have a strong stomach, or a morbid curiosity.. check it out.. but please don't say I didn't warn you.

Sorry for 2 posts in a row, but I read that entire article and I must admit, I learned a thing or two.. clothing, body fat, and drugs can all affect the rate of decomp. And if a body is outside where pesticides are frequently used, bugs would possibly steer clear of it altogether.

It was rather cold for quite awhile, and I would assume that poor Marc froze rather quickly. Along with being hidden under that pile of wood, and being in the wooded area right next to the water, I'd imagine it stayed rather chilly there for quite awhile. The sad truth is, that they just found him earlier than they eventually would have. It's getting warmer, and if he was frozen he would be thawing. The decomp process would then start, and well.. you can assume the rest.

Happy Easter Marc! I'm posting a day late because I didn't want to interrupt what must have been one of the best Easter Egg Hunts and feasts that one could ever imagine!! Have fun playing in the clouds with Aveion, Aja, Somer, and Morgan!

A little boy gone

As fresh news stories develop, we tend to forget about the older ones, even if they haven't come to a resolution yet.

A sign taped to the front of 4-year-old Marc Bookal's house sought to remind Newburgh residents not to forget about him. The sign was part of a sidewalk vigil put up after the boy disappeared in December. It was still there when remains believed to be those of the missing boy were found last week.

Here are the words, exactly as they appeared: "As the candles are lit, you walk by, but keep going ... STOP. Cause you seem to forget behind these doors is a little boy gone. All is left is the pictures, yet his memories seem lost in our mind. A little boys smile frozen in time. Tears still left uncried. So lets take a moment with every candle lit and not 4-get a little boy gone. Looking 4 away home."

Michael Randall

Record Online

Apr 16, 2010 1:30 pm US/Eastern
Police ID Body In Bag As Missing Newburgh Boy

NEWBURGH, N.Y. (CBS) -- Newburgh police confirmed Friday that the remains of a child found inside a garbage bag along the side of a road last month were that of missing 4-year-old Marc Bookal, CBS 2 has learned.
Police did not release details about how the boy was killed, but said he was murdered.

more here

http://wcbstv.com/local/marc.anthony.bookal.2.1637556.html

I wonder if Marc's mother is still going to be sticking by CB now..

NEWBURGH — Police are still evaluating evidence, but DNA tests have confirmed the body of a small child found in a wood pile several months after he went missing is Marc Bookal, police said.

Police are awaiting the results of additional tests on evidence seized from the crime scene and from the residence.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20100417/NEWS05/4170327

"It was entirely possible that the decomposition process had been slowed to such an extent that the cadaver dogs did not pick up on that," said Newburgh Police Chief Eric Paolilli.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/yul.bookal.missing.2.1589265.html

Does this mean due to it being cold there (December)? What else would slow the decomposition? The body being in the book bag and the bag under the pile of wood?

Sorry, but this sounds like an excuse for the dogs either missing it or for poor training. A body starts decomp almost immediately and a well trained dog should be able to recognize and smell the full range of the 5 stages of decomp. The question of weather and temps has been tested in Canada in the winter months and they found that temps ranging from -22 to 14 F did not hinder the results, even snow wasn't much of a factor. Now, if a dog has not been trained thoroughly and has only been taught on old bones there could be an issue.

CB's story keeps changing as to what happened that night.. At first it was that he and Marc were leaving to go to a relatives house and Marc scampered out ahead of him and vanished..

December 16, 2009 9:11 AM
Marc Anthony Bookal, 4, Missing: "I Just Want My Baby Home," Cries Mom
...Authorities say Byrd was getting ready to take Marc Anthony to visit a relative Monday afternoon when the boy walked out of their apartment ahead of Byrd...

Then...

Published: 10:32 AM - 02/02/10
Prosecutors ordered to turn over evidence in Byrd case

...Greenwald said Byrd allowed Marc to walk outside to visit his aunt next door as Marc had done many times in the past. When Byrd went to check on him, Greenwald said, he found that he’d never made it to his aunt’s house and was missing....

And on the 25th on NG, the story changed again..

Nancy Grace Transcript 3/25/10
....snipped
MIKKILINENI:And both were in a great mood. Yes. So, now, what Cory Byrd tells Christina Bookal, the mother, is that she -- that he was watching television and Marc wanted to go visit his aunt, who lives right literally next door and just a few yards away. So he said, Wait for me and I will take you over there to your aunt`s. And then the next thing he knew, he looked up -- he got caught up in a television program, looked up, the back door was open, Marc was gone. And this is about 1:00 o`clock that he called the police.
GRACE: It was 46 degrees outside, and he let the boy just go outside to walk to the aunt`s.
MIKKILINENI: That`s what it looks like.
GRACE: And he got caught up in a TV show at 1:00 o`clock? What would that have been? What TV show was so important, a soap opera, that he couldn`t watch the boy?
MIKKILINENI: Well, the way that the house is set up, Nancy, it`s a two-story house, and you walk in through the front door, through the upper -- onto the upper level. Then you go downstairs, which is where all the bedrooms are, including the master bedroom and the children`s rooms. And I got a tour of the home, and the master bedroom is where Cory Byrd says he was sitting on the bed or laying on the bed watching television. And the back door...

There's much more at NG's link.. as much as I loathe her.. this is the first that I had seen of this version of events.. So what do you guys think? The ever changing story... Crystal sticking by Cory... Apparently on the show they also toured the house as well.. I don't know where to go to find NG's videos.. :-/

JLMcKenna83, I remember watching that Nancy Grace show and thinking about the change in the story. I initially thought the first 2 versions were "bad media"...bat after that Nancy Grace show, I thought (and still do) that he's trying to put some distance---time---between the last time he saw Marc...I also think mom helped him out with this story to "protect" him. That makes me sick to even type that...poor Marc should've been the one being protected!

Of course this is all jmo, but to me this is so much like Little Aveion's tragedy...and I think the "parents / step parents" (for lack of a better term) are playing from the same book!

Oh...here's a link to one of PattyG's posts from earlier in this case. It links to her youtube videos and I'm sure you can find this one there.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased NY - Missing 4yr old Marc Bookal, Newburgh

HTH

Local papers have Marc's obituary today. I haven't been able to find it online yet... will keep looking.

Did we know he is predeceased by a sister?

Sweet little Marc, you will never hurt again. You deserved so much better.

I wonder whether the body was moved there after they had searched this area.

Was there evidence that the body had been there the whole time Marc was missing?

I'm not sure what that would be -- because plant life would not be growing between December through March ... but some type of forensic evidence.

Any experts out there want to give their two cents? TIA

Sorry, but this sounds like an excuse for the dogs either missing it or for poor training. A body starts decomp almost immediately and a well trained dog should be able to recognize and smell the full range of the 5 stages of decomp. The question of weather and temps has been tested in Canada in the winter months and they found that temps ranging from -22 to 14 F did not hinder the results, even snow wasn't much of a factor. Now, if a dog has not been trained thoroughly and has only been taught on old bones there could be an issue.

"It was entirely possible that the decomposition process had been slowed to such an extent that the cadaver dogs did not pick up on that," said Newburgh Police Chief Eric Paolilli.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/yul.bookal.missing.2.1589265.html

Does this mean due to it being cold there (December)? What else would slow the decomposition? The body being in the book bag and the bag under the pile of wood?

I wonder whether the body was moved there after they had searched this area.

Was there evidence that the body had been there the whole time Marc was missing?

I'm not sure what that would be -- because plant life would not be growing between December through March ... but some type of forensic evidence.

Any experts out there want to give their two cents? TIA

It is possible that the body wasn't there, that would explain the no hit, but as for their claim that you bolded I will have to disagree, it's an excuse and not a very good one IMO. As for experts, I am actually approved on the board as an "expert" or professional or whatever they like to call it in to K9's and SAR work. Don't know if you mean others, just wanted to let you know that my comments came from a knowledge base.

Sarx, no I know you are an expert and thank you.

I meant did any expert want to weigh in on whether plant life or some other forensic evidence could determine whether Marc had been there the whole time, and what that would be.

I didn't mean that I'd like someone other than you to weigh in.

LOL, no worries, I'm all for multiple experts weighing in, just didn't want you to think I was talking outta my rear! I too would love to hear if they believe the body was there the whole time!

With tears in her eyes, Christine Bookal talks March 24 about how she found out that the body of a child was found a few blocks away. On Friday, police announced the body belonged to her son, Marc. LINK: http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100417/NEWS/4170325

My heart breaks as I write this article. It is something I wasn’t exactly prepared for when I received notice about this precious 4 year old child’s remains being found. Marc had a smile on his face that is unforgettable. But now this precious child is gone. America has lost yet another innocent child. Newburgh New York has one less child living there.
Link and posts to article here: http://www..net/124124

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] YAHKIRAH WALKER Newburgh, N.Y. Yahkirah Walker of Newburgh, died Wednesday, May 22, 2002, at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla. She was 7 days old. The daughter of Eric Walker and Christina Coston, she was born May 15, 2002, in Valhalla. Survivors include her father, Eric Walker; mother, Christina Coston; brother, Christin Coston; sister, Shariah Byrd; maternal grandparents, Reverend Arthur and Reverend Grace Coston, all of Newburgh; aunts, uncles, other relatives and friends. Funeral services will be held Friday, May 24, at 9:00 a.m. at the Chapel Rhodes Funeral Home, 259 Walsh Avenue, New Windsor. Reverend Arthur Coston Sr. will officiate. Interment will be in the Cedar Hill Cemetery of Middle Hope. Arrangements entrusted to Rhodes Funeral Home. [/FONT]

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...er"&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Marc Bookal remembered as having “one of the kindest hearts”

A tearful Yul Bookal promised his son that he would be at his grave for every birthday. “I'm sorry it had to end like this,” said Bookal. “I will never forget you.”

While I was grateful to see this article, I'm furious with 2 parts of it..
1. "I'm sorry it HAD to end like this..." It didn't have to end like this! It only ended like this because of 2 people.
2. “We may never understand the 'why' of his premature departure,” We know why, the coward who had already damn near killed another one of the children was allowed back into the house. He couldn't be a real man, and take care of the child that was entrusted to his care, instead he was a *not nice word* and had to do this to someone who had no chance of fighting back!

Bookal_funeral1-24Apr10.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shortie05986
Back