NY - Mari Gilbert, mother of Shannan Gilbert, murdered by daughter Sarra, 23 July 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sara was sick. She was in and out of mental hospitals. She drowned a puppy in front of her 8 yr old son. She took her son into the woods to kill him. She was stopped. She lost custody and a restraining order was put in place.
The Killing Season was already filmed and ready to be aired before Mari's death.

What I mean by "neat" is that Mari was going after the Suffix PD for answers and accountability for the death of Shannon...I believe with the lawyer John Ray she was suing them, correct?... there are rumors about the disgraced police commissioner Burke and members of that police department of dealings with prostitutes...Subjects interviewed in The Killing Season inferred that this might be a possibility....now she is murdered and the general public presumes it's by her own daughter. I'm not saying that Sara isn't severely mentally unstable. The spotlight is off and nobody is holding them (Burke & Suffix county PD) accountable. If Sara didn't do it she is the perfect person to frame. That's what I mean by "neat". I can't be the only one suspicious.
What is shocking about all this is that this was all happening during the production of the killing Season- yet nothing was mentioned. I guess it would've taken the show in a totally different direction. It's such a bizarre turn of events; especially after binge watching the entire series last week then finding out on the internet afterwards that Mari was murdered.

I'm very new to reading about this case (I saw it in the WS feed this morning), but I've now read several news articles about Shannon's death and Mari's subsequent mission. First, given Sarra's history, and presumably ample forensic evidence in a crime scene such as this, it would certainly appear that she and only she is responsible. Secondly, if this was a third party mission of some kind to end Mari's mission, I think we'd be reading that Mari was found somewhere with a single fatal bullet wound or some other swiftly inflicted lethal blow. It's implausible that any conspiracy mission to get rid of Mari would have resulted in such a graphic and evidence-rich scenario that had the killer in a family member's home getting that close to the victim or taking that much time to kill her.

I am so sorry to read this story. I've lost a child, and while under entirely different circumstances, I understand too well the heartache. I sincerely hope that Mari and Shannon are peacefully reunited and their greater story is simply that of the love between mother and child. RIP Mari.

Trial for Ellenville woman charged with murder in fatal stabbing of her mother to begin on Monday

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20170415/trial-for-ellenville-woman-charged-with-murder-in-fatal-stabbing-of-her-mother-to-begin-on-monday

An Ellenville woman with a history of mental illness will stand trial this week for killing her mother.

Sarra Gilbert, 27, been charged with second-degree murder for the July 23, 2016, stabbing death of Mari Gilbert, 52. She has pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect and is being held in Ulster County Jail without bail.

The trial is scheduled to get underway Monday before Ulster County Judge Donald Williams. A court spokesman said the trial is expected to last about two weeks.

Jury selection underway for trial of Ellenville woman accused of killing her mother

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20170417/jury-selection-underway-for-trial-of-ellenville-woman-accused-of-killing-her-mother

Three women and one man were tapped as the first four of 12 jurors who will determine Gilbert’s fate. Two alternates will also be selected.

During proceedings Monday, jurors were told they may hear the defense introduce witnesses and evidence to prove that Gilbert, who suffers from schizophrenia and has been in and out of psychiatric facilities numerous times in her life, lacked the capacity to understand the nature and consequences of her actions or that they were wrong.

Ulster County Judge Donald Williams also read a list of roughly two dozen witnesses who could be called during the trial.

While the majority of those on the witness list are law enforcement officials and expert witnesses, a number of possible witnesses are Ellenville residents.

Also on the list are Gilbert’s sisters, Sherre Gilbert and Stevie Smith. There was no indication from the court whether the two would be witnesses for the prosecution or for the defense.

Jury selection is scheduled to resume Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Opening statements in the trial could take place as early as Tuesday afternoon.

Gilbert’s trial is expected to last about nine days.

If convicted of murder, Gilbert could face a maximum sentence of 25 years to life.

Updates from The Daily Freeman:

http://embed.scribblelive.com/Embed/v7.aspx?Id=2553517&Page=0&overlay=false

Gruesome details, mental illness defense open trial of Ellenville woman who killed her mother

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20170418/gruesome-details-mental-illness-defense-open-trial-of-ellenville-woman-who-killed-her-mother

Sarra Gilbert stabbed her mother 227 times, beat her with a fire extinguisher, tried to drown her with foam and ultimately attempted to decapitate her because she thought Mari Gilbert was an “evil god,” the murder suspect’s defense attorney said Tuesday.

“This was not a killing of rage; there’s a madness in this that no ordinary human being suffers,” said John Ray as he described, in gruesome detail, the crime his client is accused of committing.

Sarra Gilbert, 27, of Ellenville, is charged with second-degree murder in the July 23, 2016, death of her mother. Ray is mounting a defense that his client is not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.

In his opening statement to the eight-woman, four-man jury, Ulster County Assistant District Attorney Emmanuel Nneji described Sarra Gilbert as a calculating murderer who plotted her 52-year-old mother’s death, going so far as to gather the weapons she planned to use and asking her mother to come to her home that morning.

Nneji, who repeatedly referred to Mari Gilbert as Sarra Gilbert’s “sweet mother,” said a prior attempt by the younger woman to kill her mother days earlier was thwarted only because Mari Gilbert showed up at her daughter’s house with her partner, and Sarra wouldn’t let the couple in.

When her mother finally agreed to go to visit her daughter alone on July 23, Sarra Gilbert was able to put her plan into action, the prosecutor said.

The defense lawyer said testimony will show Sarra Gilbert’s father was a schizophrenic and heroin addict and that the defendant believed her mother, who practiced witchcraft and would cast “spells” and recite “incantations,” was possessed by supernatural powers. He also said jurors will hear testimony that throughout Sarra Gilbert’s childhood, she was in and out of foster care, was sexual abused by one of her mother’s boyfriends, and watched her sister, who disappeared in 2010 after leaving the Long Island home of a sex client and was found slain 18 months later, become a prostitute at the encouragement of her mother.

Ray said jurors will see volumes of medical records showing Sarra Gilbert was found to be violent by experts in the facilities in which she was confined and that she was hospitalized twice shortly before her mother’s death in 2016 — once after she purchased a knife because she believed her son was “an evil god,” and once after drowning her puppy, which she believed she had seen become possessed.

Police body cams take jurors in Sarra Gilbert murder trial to death scene

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20170419/police-body-cams-take-jurors-in-sarra-gilbert-murder-trial-to-death-scene

The jurors at Sarra Gilbert’s murder trial in Ulster County Court saw officers trying to find a way into her apartment after her sister asked police to go there to check on the welfare of the women’s mother, Mari.

They heard Mari’s partner, Elroy Shulterbrand, cry out, “Oh my God! Oh my God!” as he saw through a window he had forced open the woman he loved lying in a pool of blood on the living room floor.

They heard Sherre scream, “What happened? What happened? I can’t look. What happened?” and Shulterbrand answer through sobs, “Your mother’s in there, all bloody.”

And they heard Sherre’s screams turn into incoherent wailing.

The videos from the body cameras of Ellenville Police Officers Alba Gonzalez and Antonio Bell were played by the prosecution in Sarra Gilbert’s trial.

Jurors saw, from his perspective, Bell approaching Sarra Gilbert, who was in her bedroom, her clothes covered with blood. As he walked toward her, Gilbert could be heard on the recording saying, “I’m under arrest.”

Under questioning by Nneji, Bell, who now is a village of Liberty police officer, said he asked Gilbert what happened, and she responded, “I killed my mom.”

Under cross-examination by Ray, Bell said Gilbert made the admission in such a low voice that his body cam didn’t record it. “I heard it though,” he said.

State police Investigator Vincent Boyd testified under questioning by Nneji that when he went into the apartment to collect evidence, he found Mari Gilbert’s body lying face up and naked on the floor with numerous stab wounds and blunt-force wounds, as well as defensive wounds on her hands and arms.

Boyd said he found a 15-inch knife “completely covered with blood from the tip of it to the handle” and that the tip of the knife was bent at an almost 90-degree angle. He also said he found bloodied clothes and jewelry near Mari Gilbert’s head.

Thanks for posting this.. ive been following the twitter feed for the case. During your coverage yesterday when john ray was cross examining the forensics investigator, was ray insinuating that there could be another killer because of the missing evidence, like maris glasses? Or is he just saying it was a rushed job and not all evidence was obtained?

What Sarra did is unheard of. I hope she is never released. She will do it again. She is a danger to society.

Anyone else following this? Very interesting.. never knew mari gilbert practiced witchcraft. Sarra gilbert is on the stand now.

Sarra said she wants to go to jail. Sara said she had enough of hospitals. Whats the point of a trial? Plead guilty and go to jail.

Sarra said she wants to go to jail. Sara said she had enough of hospitals. Whats the point of a trial? Plead guilty and go to jail.[/QUOTE

Imo.. I think she will end up in a psychiatric ward whether she likes it or not. She heard voices telling her that her mother was an evil god and she believed she was an evil god, driving her to kill mari. Paranoid delusions making her think mari was making it rain in her house cause she was evil. Sounds schizophrenic so far.

Sarra said she wants to go to jail. Sara said she had enough of hospitals. Whats the point of a trial? Plead guilty and go to jail.[/QUOTE

Imo.. I think she will end up in a psychiatric ward whether she likes it or not. She heard voices telling her that her mother was an evil god and she believed she was an evil god, driving her to kill mari. Paranoid delusions making her think mari was making it rain in her house cause she was evil. Sounds schizophrenic so far.
She will go to a state facility and some dopey Dr. will release her with a script and instructions.

Sarra is clearly not mentally stable and hasn't been for some time. What's left of that family have my Sympathies including Saraa and I hope the remainder of life treats them better than it has up until this point.

Sarra is clearly not mentally stable and hasn't been for some time. What's left of that family have my Sympathies including Saraa and I hope the remainder of life treats them better than it has up until this point.
I agree. I hope they find some kind of normalcy. It would benefit Sarra's son if hes part of their lives. He has already lost aot.

Sarra's sister Stevie testified for the prosecution. She contributes the killing to jealousy and heavy drug use.

Jury is deliberating on this trial and will continue tmmrw morning.. verdict for sarra should be in by midday tmmrw for those interested/following.

Jury is deliberating on this trial and will continue tmmrw morning.. verdict for sarra should be in by midday tmmrw for those interested/following.
Thank you for the update Vapor, Although I live in NYC I can't always keep up with everything and I appreciate your kind updates.

Thank you for the update Vapor, Although I live in NYC I can't always keep up with everything and I appreciate your kind updates.

No problem DQN. although there was evidence that sarra was abused early on and mentally ill. the psychiatrist for the prosecution thought she was malingering which led to the guilty verdict.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jadea02
Back