Identified! NY - Mount Vernon, WhtFem 51UFNY, 18-25, Left Near Junkyard, Feb'88 - Veronica Wiederhold

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
..which reminds me: Are you in contact with the new detective who was assigned the case after DiMase's retirement last year, @jessr927 ?

I'm not. I know his name is Det. Gamble, but have never spoken with him. I have to admit I've had a hell of a year and haven't been keeping up with UIDs like I used to
Yes, I've noticed you weren't that active anymore, jessr927, and I hope you're doing better now. You are truly a great resource and an advocate for the NYC/NY cases :)

Aww thank you, Mrs. B! It's actually been a great year, just a very very hectic one. I'm always lurking here but rarely posting. I do keep up on our Facebook pages though.

Yes, I've noticed you weren't that active anymore, jessr927, and I hope you're doing better now. You are truly a great resource and an advocate for the NYC/NY cases :)

Her 32nd anniversary is coming up. Hopefully Parabon gets NY accreditation soon. It's her only hope

No, NY will not allow DDP to take her case unless they went to court to ask for a special clearance because the lab has to be NY accredited, unless one of the labs DDP already is. Parabon has supposedly applied for it

It is great news that Parabon is trying to get NY accreditation. I was not aware of that. They did make few Phenotyping sketches from DNA in NY city previously. Monique Jane Doe case - sketch and some others sketches (I don't recall names of cases now).

However NY state does NOT allow Forensic Genealogy. Only case which was allowed to be worked on by this technique was recently announced Long Island serial killer case. And it was special permission given by state government officials. I am still curious to find out which company is doing forensic genealogy on that case. I would not be surprised if it was Parabon.

I still think priority in Mount Vernon case is to try to find out what happened to her remains and only after that further progress can be made also with possibility of extracting new DNA from her.

It is great news that Parabon is trying to get NY accreditation. I was not aware of that. They did make few Phenotyping sketches from DNA in NY city previously. Monique Jane Doe case - sketch and some others sketches (I don't recall names of cases now).

However NY state does NOT allow Forensic Genealogy. Only case which was allowed to be worked on by this technique was recently announced Long Island serial killer case. And it was special permission given by state government officials. I am still curious to find out which company is doing forensic genealogy on that case. I would not be surprised if it was Parabon.

I still think priority in Mount Vernon case is to try to find out what happened to her remains and only after that further progress can be made also with possibility of extracting new DNA from her.

NY is not telling where she's buried. I tried, they refused. Jess even made a phone call that said no.

I don't know why her burial plot is a secret

The issue was that vital statistics wouldn't release the death certificate, which has the burial info, to anyone who is not a relative. DiMase was still on the job then and they said he would need a Supreme Court order to get the death cert!!

NY is not telling where she's buried. I tried, they refused. Jess even made a phone call that said no.

The issue was that vital statistics wouldn't release the death certificate, which has the burial info, to anyone who is not a relative. DiMase was still on the job then and they said he would need a Supreme Court order to get the death cert!!

It's pretty shocking they wouldn't even tell DiMase where she's buried

Why do they keep it secret? I curious; since I’m not American nor been in the US.

@Feme98 No one picked up the phone in major case. As for the burial it's not so much a secret as there are strict laws about who can receive what kind of information. My grandmother had a stillborn child in 1954. I tried to order the birth certificate for genealogical purposes but was told only the parents can request it.

@Feme98 No one picked up the phone in major case. As for the burial it's not so much a secret as there are strict laws about who can receive what kind of information. My grandmother had a stillborn child in 1954. I tried to order the birth certificate for genealogical purposes but was told only the parents can request it.
I have seen some updates that NY adoption/ancestry laws has changed very recently. Check out fb subgroup of Search Squad, they have NY adoption group there, they might help you with your search.

It's pretty shocking they wouldn't even tell DiMase where she's buried

Yes, shocking. For some reason it seems to me a bit of smoke screen, as don't tell me that NY cop is not allowed to know/find out where is body of their murder victim. They are police with powers after all.

If Westchester/Walhalla coroners are really blocking all the request of police it could be really due to fact that they themselves have no clue where she is. We know that there have been many scandals in the past (in 80's and 90's in NY) with misplacing deceased, poor or unidentified. Also with bodies being used for medical research without proper authorisations. She could be really anywhere but I am certain if anyone who is authorised persued this for some time I am positive they could find at least some information.

And yes, NY is horrid with some of their laws. It very much hinders rather then help their cases. (Sorry Jess for bashing your state ;), but MVJD case frustrates me to no end, more than any other NY case)

I have seen some updates that NY adoption/ancestry laws has changed very recently. Check out fb subgroup of Search Squad, they have NY adoption group there, they might help you with your search.

Yes, shocking. For some reason it seems to me a bit of smoke screen, as don't tell me that NY cop is not allowed to know/find out where is body of their murder victim. They are police with powers after all.

If Westchester/Walhalla coroners are really blocking all the request of police it could be really due to fact that they themselves have no clue where she is. We know that there have been many scandals in the past (in 80's and 90's in NY) with misplacing deceased, poor or unidentified. Also with bodies being used for medical research without proper authorisations. She could be really anywhere but I am certain if anyone who is authorised persued this for some time I am positive they could find at least some information.

And yes, NY is horrid with some of their laws. It very much hinders rather then help their cases. (Sorry Jess for bashing your state ;), but MVJD case frustrates me to no end, more than any other NY case)

Yes, NY has finally allowed adoptees to order their original birth certificates. I'm not sure if they're also giving their adoption records like NJ

My Opinion, she may be buried at Hart Island. Hart Island (Bronx) - Wikipedia Not far from Yonkers.

The remains of more than one million people are buried on Hart Island, though since the first decade of the 21st century, there are fewer than 1,500 burials a year. Burials on Hart Island include individuals who were not claimed by their families or did not have private funerals, as well as the homeless and the indigent. Access to the island is restricted by the Department of Correction, which operates an infrequent ferryboat service and imposes strict visitation quotas. Burials are conducted by Rikers Island inmates. The Hart Island Project, a public charity founded by visual artist Melinda Hunt, has tried to improve access to the island and make burial records more easily available.

My Opinion, she may be buried at Hart Island. Hart Island (Bronx) - Wikipedia Not far from Yonkers.

The remains of more than one million people are buried on Hart Island, though since the first decade of the 21st century, there are fewer than 1,500 burials a year. Burials on Hart Island include individuals who were not claimed by their families or did not have private funerals, as well as the homeless and the indigent. Access to the island is restricted by the Department of Correction, which operates an infrequent ferryboat service and imposes strict visitation quotas. Burials are conducted by Rikers Island inmates. The Hart Island Project, a public charity founded by visual artist Melinda Hunt, has tried to improve access to the island and make burial records more easily available.

Our member here Jess used to work on the Hart Island project and as Mount Vernon is not really part of NYC, which Hart Island is for, MV Jane Doe is NOT likely to be buried there.

Off topic, but Jess also identified someone who was missing since 1977 and found him buried on Hart Island. Family is eternally grateful.

I was thinking I am going to go through some missing people and see if they are buried there. Mount Vernon is right out side of the East Bronx , Bronx is part of NYC. I wouldn't think people out side of NYC would be buried there, until I found some graves of people that died in Long Island which could be up to 50 miles away and up to 150 miles to the tip of Long Island.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leeeeeeeeen
Back