GUILTY NY - Nixzmary Brown, 7, beaten to death in Brooklyn, 11 Jan 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
bugs said:
This poor child. Her mom stated in one of her interviews that prisoners are already saying they are going to kick her a-- and she is afraid, well now you know a little bit of the fear Nixzmary had given that she was a child.

This is really a sad, sad case.
I sincerely hope she spends every day for the rest of her miserable life getting her a$$ beat and being terrified someone is going to shank her in the back.

The facts of this case sickens me. So many warning signs and no one helped the poor child.

Reading about this little girls suffering and pleas for help as she died has reduced me to non-stop tears as I write this and that's just never happened to me before. I don't even know what she looked like, have never seen a pic. Having grown up in some very bad conditions myself I learned early on that desperate situations often call for desperate measures although some may disagree I don't care! I'm so sick of it and the child molesters, there used to be a more vigilante attitude that we never see anymore at all. What about the children? Doesn't anybody care at all anymore? I mean really care? There is no way I could know about this child and not step in and do something, yup kidnap so to speak and it sure would be in the media so let that cps person that explained why they weren't working on her case make that statement to the media because that child was already dead by then they're scrounging around they say to find out why when in fact they were covering their a$$es because you can bet they failed to protect that child too and that's why that one is dead as well. This system doesn't work and hasn't ever worked, why do these people have jobs? They aren't doing them and we as a society aren't helping. Long ago before domestic violence laws, child molestation laws, etc. we were brought up to look out for one another and that was in a high crime run down area and we cared and did what we could without the help of LE or government agencies. A dear friend that I thought of as an aunt took a baseball bat after my husband for domestic violence when the police were of no help, straightened up that punk real fast as soon as she hit him and then her very large son and others started to show up. Extreme? Not at all! Effective? Very! These are people I grew up with that cared and I have encountered children in need and never thought twice to get involved when a child is at risk. My daughters would come to me if they thought their friends had a problem, not because I'm nosey because I keep to myself mostly but they knew that I'd care and would know what to do.

Strach, I don't want to quote your whole post, but I agree. People are not stepping up enough. In fact, I am spending a lot of time looking for work in these areas. I want the last years of my life to matter.

concernedperson said:
Strach, I don't want to quote your whole post, but I agree. People are not stepping up enough. In fact, I am spending a lot of time looking for work in these areas. I want the last years of my life to matter.
All I can think to say is God Bless You! :blowkiss:

One of the most striking things to me about this case is the mother's statement that she's a good mother. Her children wore clean ironed clothing, and she served a hot dinner everynight, she insisted. How totally detached is that? That is totally and completely detached from reality. Her daughter was beaten to death, her son risked being horribly beaten to come try to get his mother to help when Nixzmary "stopped making noise" at 4:30 a.m.

The lesson here, is next month there will be another Nixzmary. There will be another child who you just wish you could turn back the clock two weeks.

We need to return to the days when it was a shame on the family name to keep producing baby after baby by different felons. Where is Nixzmary's paternal grandfather? Back in the day, he would have put a stop to this insanity.

The thing is, for me, Nixzmary looks exactly like an adopted daughter of one of my best friends. I even have a picture of that child in a red power ranger outfit. So I saw this girl at a gathering last night, healthy and laughing and happy. God bless Nixzmary.

Several years ago, this same thing happened in NY. And vows were made to clean up the Children's systems. And it happened again. And again.
Again they are vowing to clean up the system. It will be up to the citizen's to hold them to this, to create such an outcry that they have no choice but to clean up their act.
Just as in Fla. when Rilya Wilson was found have disappeared. Fla. vowed to clean up their system. And to locate all of their children. The last I heard, they still don't know where many of the foster children are.
I am not really picking on these two states. These are just the two that I can remember. I have read others. And the excuses given are always the same- understaffed, overworked, and underpaid. I believe it is true. The whole system is dependent on underpaid, inexperienced, workers who work within a system with few resources. When ever a general budget needs to be cut, they are often the first to be cut and recieve the largest cuts.
And the secrecy they work under, unfortunately the problems are often hidden under the same rug, by that often used phrase- we aren't permitted to discuss this due to the individual's right to privacy. Well some type of accountablity needs to be set up. Give them more money. But then watch them to make sure it is being spent on increasing services, education, and better workers!

They came because 7-year-old Nixzmary Brown reminded them of a granddaughter or niece of their own. Because they were horrified by her beating death. And because they were outraged that no one was able to save her.

Hundreds of people lined up in the bitter cold Monday to weep for the little girl authorities said died after being tied to a chair and tortured by her stepfather. Most had never met Nixzmary but were so moved by her story that they attended her wake.

Social worker Karen O'Connor said she came "to give Nixzmary the respect that she deserves and to say how angry we are that this happened." O'Connor said she thought a social worker who handled the case did everything she could but the child welfare system was flawed.

"No one is listening," O'Connor said. "We're out here to be the eyes and ears of these children."

Administration for Children's Services Commissioner John Mattingly has said his agency was in a position to prevent the girl's death but failed to do so.
http://www.wnbc.com/news/6144607/detail.html

Nixmary's wake was yesterday, apparently and so many came to grieve. I am so touched by this girl, and it is kind of comforting to see so many others feel the same way.

And prayers that in the crowd of grievers are people who will help some other child with a battered face, who isn't dead yet.

WARNING!! Article containes a picture of her lying in the casket.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/17/nyregion/17girl.html

Absolutely heartbreaking. Just to look at her sweet face and know she went through pure hell. Her last punishment was over yogurt and because the step-dad's printer would not work. :furious:

I don't know, I think it's kind of tacky to show her in the coffin. When I went to the store before there it was right on the cover of Newsday. Actually made me sick.

It threw me when I saw her on the cover of the NY Daily News this a.m. My first thought was, "Oh my God". I saw how cute she was and then, I really couldn't stop myself from wondering who brought her the pretty outfit. Of course, it was no one in her family. I agree with every negative thing that is being said about the step-father and the mother. It just pi$$es me off the the maternal grandmother seems to be left off the hook. I hope that she at least carries guilt for her granddaughter's death around for the rest of her life. I just really really don't get people like these.

Several child-welfare workers will be suspended as a result of the Administration for Children's Services' failure to prevent the cruel death of little Nixzmary Brown — and the agency itself is facing a shake-up, sources told The Post yesterday.
"Disciplinary actions are coming," said one source, after a series of bungles led to the 7-year-old girl getting beaten to death, allegedly at the hands of her stepfather.

"There are [civil-service] rules. They [ACS brass] had to interview the caseworkers, supervisors and managers before they could take action."

The shake-up of the child-welfare agency could start as soon as this week, the source said.

Suspension is the first step in the disciplinary process, which could lead to punishments ranging from loss of pay and demotion to firing.
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/60631.htm

We never talked to girl - NYPD

City policy called for cops to investigate Nixzmary Brown's injuries alongside child welfare caseworkers - but detectives never even talked with the girl, according to the NYPD and the notes of a caseworker who was there.
That raises questions about whether the NYPD followed the city's rules for investigating reports of serious child abuse - and whether cops could have done more to help the 7-year-old before she was beaten to death, allegedly by her stepfather, Cesar Rodriguez, last week.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly has fully backed his detectives. The NYPD has referred all questions on the investigation to City Hall.

Administration for Children's Services files obtained by the Daily News show delays and miscommunications in the agency's response.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/383402p-325477c.html

Anger marks Nixzmary wake

Even in death, Nixzmary Brown was surrounded by rage.

The two sides of her family nearly came to blows just feet from the open coffin where the body of the battered 7-year-old girl lay in a pearl white satin and chiffon dress Monday.

Iris Rodriguez -- the sister of Nixzmary's stepfather, the man charged with killing her in a case that sparked outrage throughout the city -- showed up unexpectedly.

Carrying a bouquet of pink roses, Iris Rodriguez walked halfway across the chapel toward the coffin when she was confronted by the girl's angry maternal relatives.

"Please understand, you are not welcome here," said Caridad Ramos, an aunt.

"Go! Go!" screamed another relative.

Rodriguez persisted.

"I have to see my baby!" Rodriguez, 24, said through tears.

In the funeral home, where hundreds of strangers also came to pay respects, anger was also directed at the city child welfare agency. the city's Administration for Children Services

"We need them to see what they did to Nixzmary!" shouted one relative, who opened the door for photographers and television cameras.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/nyc-wake0117,0,1989110.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

To the hundreds of mourners who came from around the city to pay their respects, Nixzmary Brown looked like a sleeping princess yesterday, dressed in white and nuzzled by a trio of teddy bears sharing her coffin.

In death, the tragic 7-year-old girl tugged at the hearts of the throngs of strangers who attended her wake yesterday, to mourn her and curse the cruelty that cut her life short.

The line outside the R. G. Ortiz Funeral Home in the East Village stretched around the block as more than 1,000 people came bearing bouquets, stuffed animals and sympathy cards.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/383395p-325463c.html

This reminds me so much of Lisa Steinberg. Nothing was done to help her either.

I'm sorry but to hell with those grandparents too. Nobody can sit here and tell me that they didnt know or see anything. All them people are now crying over her calling her a princess and an angel etc..(which she is) why werent they going to the ends of the earth for their little princess when she was alive? They didnt want to be bothered by her. They knew what was going on. The one grandmother said that her daughter was scared of the stepdad that he would beat her too if she tried to intervene if he disciplined the children. HELLO?! She just admitted that SHE KNEW!! Nobody cared now the poor baby is dead and NOW they want to act like the grieving grandparents? Why? for sympathy? Please if I saw them I would probably spit at them, :mad: they make me sick.

jannuncutt said:
It threw me when I saw her on the cover of the NY Daily News this a.m. My first thought was, "Oh my God". I saw how cute she was and then, I really couldn't stop myself from wondering who brought her the pretty outfit. Of course, it was no one in her family. I agree with every negative thing that is being said about the step-father and the mother. It just pi$$es me off the the maternal grandmother seems to be left off the hook. I hope that she at least carries guilt for her granddaughter's death around for the rest of her life. I just really really don't get people like these.

MrsMush99 said:
This reminds me so much of Lisa Steinberg. Nothing was done to help her either.

Yes it does, I will never forget that story. Now her idiot, pretend adoptive father walks the streets.

You know what really makes me sick about the authorities reaction is that we know because the cps people made a statement to the media as to why they didn't prevent this, yes? They had another already dead child's case they were pressured to put everything into that investigation so they couldn't prevent this murder. My point is a very common sense one because I get so sick of hearing they have all these case loads etc. The whole department or even if it was only one worker on both cases why not help the child at obvious risk who is still alive and has a chance? Looks to me like it was more of a priority to save someone's job than to save the life of a child and they have the answer for what went wrong in the other case. They had enough for some kind of immediate emergency action, the proof is there.

The cops, CPS, grandparents, aunts and uncles...anyone who knew what was happening to this little girl should be punished. Why the parents are being charged with 2nd degree murder is beyond me. What the heck is wrong with the Prosecutor in this case?

The grandmother saw this little girl at Christmas and knew she was being abused. What the heck kind of grandmother just walks away from something like that? If I knew that one of my grandchildren was being abused the first thing I would do is go take the child and then turn my child in to the police.

Any neighbors that knew what was going on should have been on the phone to CPS and the police 10 times a day. I would have called until they started hanging up on me when they heard my name.

Everyone let this little girl down. It is a horrible thing that no one protected her. It's so hard to think about everything she went through in her short little life. Hopfully the other kids have been taken out of the home!!!!

Just reading about the way the relatives acted at the wake is sickening. The mother's relatives yelling at the father's sister! Like they have any right to scream at her when they didn't do a thing to save the little girl either and the mother did nothing to protect her daughter. Where do they get off. None of the family should have been allowed to attend. Let strangers show their love and compassion for this little girl. Seems that they cared more about her then her own family did.

I would like to walk up to that stepfather and bat his head in. How dare he go to sleep after talking to the police...can you even imagine! That S.O.B. should get the death penalty by slow torture.

What this poor child had to endure in her short little life is incomprehensible.

She is so beautiful......
Nixzmary03.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!