NY - Orsolya Gaal, 51, body found in duffel bag, Queens, Apr 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are saying that the text sent to the husband mentioned that she had testified against the killer and sent him to jail.

It should be easy enough to know who it was she previously had testified against who was then sentanced.
And why would her killer basically give away his identity, assuming the story is true and they'd figure out who killed her and he'd be jailed again? That's the part that makes no sense to me.

The NYPD supervisor said that a neighbor told detectives Gaal headed into Manhattan around 6 p.m. Friday evening, saying she was going to see the opera. She had attended the opera at Lincoln Center in the past and police were able to place her in the vicinity on Friday. But police were not able to establish immediately that she attended that night’s performance of Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro).

Police did determine that she returned to Forest Hills around 11 p.m. She spent around 45 minutes in a bar near her home and appeared to be waiting for somebody, the supervisor said. (The New York Post was first to report on the bar visit and some other details in this story, which conformed with what The Daily Beast learned independently.)

According to the supervisor, police are less convinced that the motive is to be found in texts PIX11 reported Klein received after the killing indicating that the “whole family is next”—and that the killer was seeking revenge for Gaal having supposedly caused him to be jailed years before.

Mystery Deepens in Savage Killing of Mom Left in Hockey Bag
Cops investigating murder of Queens mother are looking for man she 'recently had an affair with' | Daily Mail Online

Attachments

• 6A52E79D-99B6-4DBA-9759-41B2C7D1F3AC.jpeg
    6A52E79D-99B6-4DBA-9759-41B2C7D1F3AC.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 79AB67B5-A35A-40BF-B470-85D94F8EF248.jpeg
    79AB67B5-A35A-40BF-B470-85D94F8EF248.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 94
FWIW; An Apple Watch would have noted time of death & emergency contacts can be accessed via lock screen on iPhone if enabled. (It should be for everyone) I’m not sure if one could have used a locked phone to text husband though. My spouse & child are identified as such on emergency contact info but not in my contacts.
Thank you for the heads up on enabling emergency contacts in your phone. I will do that tonight.

As my phone is set up now, I can receive calls and the first few lines of text messages without unlocking the screen. Though, I can't make calls or send texts without unlocking my phone.

She might have still been alive when the killer sent the text message if facial id was enabled.

I feel the text message was a red herring. Who would be stupid enough to send that and potentially identify themselves?

IMO, this murder was charged by very explosive personal emotions, the only way to explain the 50 stab wounds.

"Investigators believe Gaal was killed by someone she knew. It appears the killer entered her home through the back door. There was no indication of forced entry. Sources said Gaal's wounds indicated she fought her attacker until her death."
NYC mom whose body was found stuffed in duffel bag was stabbed more than 50 times, sources say

I have to wonder if her killer used gloves to move the hockey bag. If so, I think premeditation. If not, there have to be fingerprints all over the handle of the hockey bag.

JMO, MMO

There are many assumptions to the second question but IMO the prep chose that time and that bag as though he is trying to catch a bus or train (travel).

This actually makes a lot of sense... he may have been specifically heading to the bus stop with the intent of bringing her somewhere much further away, but discovered the bag was leaking blood and decided to change his plans and leave it behind.

EDIT: The nearest bus route from Juno is on metropolitan ave.
upload_2022-4-19_17-50-11.png

EDIT AGAIN: This could also be how he arrived

EDIT ONE MORE TIME: In order to make a fast getaway presumably without a car, the metropolitan ave bus route was the only viable option running at that time, given the distance from all of the night subway lines.
upload_2022-4-19_17-58-34.png

Last edited:
I watched the video for the first time moments before I saw your post, and my exact first thought was that it was a purse or similar bag.

Definitely could be but would be a somewhat risky to me, esp. if it was a nice bag he, if he, might be carrying at a quick pace? But we aren't dealing with a careful mastermind here, it wouldn't seem. I would think if there's an attempted framing of someone or cover-up of involvement, I'd put the murder weapon or any other items directly tried to me into a trash bag or other container for subtle disposal elsewhere. I would assume they pulled any public trash cans on the route and/or walked the video trail with scent dogs as standard procedure, just in case panic really ensured at that point? Speculation.

I just find this information on what SC (on the article above) said about seeing the bag on the drive from his bar very interesting. Can they easily see this bag in the dark during the night with the street lights? I wonder how many could have seen it until it was found by the guy walking the dogs and there should be someone who saw the prep walking with the bag too

So we are wondering where the prep could have parked the car, he could have easily parked around Austin Street.

From the video we could easily see the prep carrying something, may be after he discarded the bag with the body, he changed to another outfit (even discarded some on the way or retrieved the discarded before the bag was found) and made his way to his car in the area where there might be lot of cameras. I hope LE goes through all these cameras on Austin St specifically around that time-frame and since it is early Saturday there wouldn't be lot of people walking around.
That is interesting. I mean, in general, isn't there a lot of garbage on city streets in various areas of the city, esp near highways and a park? Homeless people leave stuff behind. It was a full moon Saturday night, I think, but I'm not sure if I was driving in the middle of the night I'd notice anything "smallish" like that as being out of the ordinary unless I was stopped at that light and just wrote it off as a garbage bag or something?

Possibly the guy, if there was one, scheduled a meeting and then stood her up, so he could know where she was at a certain time, but not be seen with her.

Also wonder if this guy had hoped she would leave her husband, but when she didn't, he blamed and hated her family for being the reason he couldn't be with her.

This actually makes a lot of sense... he may have been specifically heading to the bus stop with the intent of bringing her somewhere much further away, but discovered the bag was leaking blood and decided to change his plans and leave it behind.

EDIT: The nearest bus route from Juno is on metropolitan ave.
View attachment 340427

EDIT AGAIN: This could also be how he arrived

I read that her body was dumped half a mile aka 9 blocks from her house. That is a long *advertiser censored* blood trail that was left from the home to where she was dumped. I personally don't think the perp realized the bag was leaking. It was dark out and he was looking straight a head in the footage instead of behind him.

Source in regards to the 9 blocks: NYC mom whose body was found stuffed in duffel bag was stabbed more than 50 times, sources say

There is so much we don't know, especially because we keep getting articles with "sources said" but I will conjecture a few things.

If there was an affair, she and the person probably shared lots of things as part of the getting to know each other phase. The tidbit about "getting a person put in jail sometime ago" could easily have been something she shared or disclosed about her past, especially if it was the case that the person was released at some point in the not too distant past. So, the text could be a diversion to have people look at that person.

The whole outing themselves in a text as a person she harmed by getting them thrown into to jail seems like a red herring to me. Who would do that? It just puts a bright read massive neon sign as to where the police will look. Doesn't make sense even if the person was enraged.

We have no idea if this was an affair or an arrangement as a part of an open marriage. I know people who are in open marriages and their spouse knows the name of the paramour and they openly discuss things. Whether or not the people involved in these situations can handle the emotionality of it all is individual.

She was clearly known by the restaurant/bar person who spoke about seeing the hockey bag as he stated he had seen her before with her friends. So, on some level, she doesn't appear to have been hiding her meetings. If I didn't want people to know what I was doing I would not go to a place where I have been lots of times with friends (and possibly my family) or even go to the same geographical area. That is the surest way to get "caught" as a neighbor or someone might see me.

The only thing I can say for sure is that whoever killed her was enraged and was unwilling to stop stabbing her until she was obliterated. It makes me so sad for her, her kids, her husband, and her family/friends. I keep thinking the devastation and pain has only just begun for all of these folks.

I read that her body was dumped half a mile aka 9 blocks from her house. That is a long *advertiser censored* blood trail that was left from the home to where she was dumped. I personally don't think the perp realized the bag was leaking. It was dark out and he was looking straight a head in the footage instead of behind him.

The place where he dropped the bag is pretty much right under a street light.
upload_2022-4-19_18-0-59.png

That is interesting. I mean, in general, isn't there a lot of garbage on city streets in various areas of the city, esp near highways and a park? Homeless people leave stuff behind. It was a full moon Saturday night, I think, but I'm not sure if I was driving in the middle of the night I'd notice anything "smallish" like that as being out of the ordinary unless I was stopped at that light and just wrote it off as a garbage bag or something?
It is usually clean of garbage in that area. So a bag sitting on the side of the street could stand out.

I keep hearing all of these posts about how someone got into her phone. I'm pretty sure I am not the only person who doesn't have mine locked. I used to keep it locked, but it couldn't read my fingerprint half the time, so I turned the biometrics off and have never used them since. Perhaps she did not keep hers locked either. JMO

you can also set it so it only locks after X amount of time. Mine is set to 4 hours. There are a lot of question marks in this case, but the killer being able to get into her phone doesn’t seem that crazy to me.

The place where he dropped the bag is pretty much right under a street light.
View attachment 340429
upload_2022-4-19_18-0-59-png.340429

Wondering if the killer was making a statement about the victim, by leaving her body under a street light? speculation, imo.
Lamp, lamppost, prostitution, street icon - Download on Iconfinder
prostitution-002-512.png

It is usually clean of garbage in that area. So a bag sitting on the side of the street could stand out.

And, maybe that was why it was left there. We have all been discussing that the killer left her as a mistake or non-plan. What if she was left there to be humiliated or "left on the street like trash" as an indicator of her worthlessness? Then, the leaving her in a place where she would be found would make lots of sense. If she was left in her home, no one except her kid would see her in such a state but on the street it is much more sensational and public with all the details being clamored for by people.

Even if there is usually garbage in the area (and I believe in the photos of the bag in the location it was found you can see bits of trash in the background), the bag was mostly on the sidewalk. Aside from trash day, where there might be garbage bags on the street or sidewalk, most of the trash in the city tends to be concentrated in the gutters rather than on the sidewalk itself, even in lower Manhattan where I live.

Even where I live, it is extremely unusual to see large items discarded on the sidewalk aside from on trash day. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen large items seemingly abandoned on the sidewalk outside of garbage day, and I’ve lived here for five years. So I would imagine a duffel bag on the sidewalk under a streetlight would seem unusual.

Even if there is usually garbage in the area (and I believe in the photos of the bag in the location it was found you can see bits of trash in the background), the bag was mostly on the sidewalk. Aside from trash day, where there might be garbage bags on the street or sidewalk, most of the trash in the city tends to be concentrated in the gutters rather than on the sidewalk itself, even in lower Manhattan where I live.

Even where I live, it is extremely unusual to see large items discarded on the sidewalk aside from on trash day. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen large items seemingly abandoned on the sidewalk outside of garbage day, and I’ve lived here for five years. So I would imagine a duffel bag on the sidewalk under a streetlight would seem unusual.
Good to know! Thanks for your experience here.

Hockey bags are usually fairly large.

IMO, a hockey bag would stick out anywhere because of it's size and dimensions.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member