NY NY - Patrick Alford, 7, Brooklyn, 22 Jan 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
'Nightmare' year for Jennifer Rodriguez as her young son is still missing

Jennifer Rodriguez turns 24 today, and she has only one wish: She wants her 8-year-old back safe and sound.

A year ago yesterday, her son, Patrick Alford, disappeared in Brooklyn.

[snip]

The young mother yesterday held a simple vigil outside a beauty salon on Castleton Ave. on Staten Island, where Patrick used to play with his friends.

I am really, really, extremely peeved that there was nothing on Patrick in the news today. Very upset.

I wrote a bunch of emails to all sorts of news outlets and major bloggers when Hasanni's case came to its one year mark, and only a few nibbled. I guess there just isn't enough sizzle in these stories to sell papers, which is so depressing. So few people seem to care about these missing foster kids.

Thinking of Patrick, and hoping for the best.

S.I. Parents Mark One Year Since Foster Child's Disappearance

The parents of a Staten Island boy who went missing a year ago say they're not giving up hope as the search continues.

VIDEO AT LINK: http://www.ny1.com/content/132684/s-i--parents-mark-one-year-since-foster-child-s-disappearance

Patrick's father speaks in the video. I believe it's the first time we've seen him.

Also, a few new photos from video stills at the link above.

Patricknew.png
Patricknew2.png

Patrick really looks older than 7...it is even more feasible that people would not think much about him being out alone... it only takes a minute for someone to grab a child...

Destiny Norton...

But even if he did try to leave and then was grabbed later... I don't think this young man on a bus or something would have raised red flags. He would have looked older and people would have thought "it's not my place... I don't want to be mistaken for trying to hurt him..."

S.I. Parents Mark One Year Since Foster Child's Disappearance

The parents of a Staten Island boy who went missing a year ago say they're not giving up hope as the search continues.

VIDEO AT LINK: http://www.ny1.com/content/132684/s-i--parents-mark-one-year-since-foster-child-s-disappearance

Patrick's father speaks in the video. I believe it's the first time we've seen him.

I think you are right SWMNBN. we also learned that Patrick Sr. lives in the East NY area so it looks like LE would know exactly where to look if the father was involved. I got the impression early on that the father might have been out of state. not true.

I think you are right SWMNBN. we also learned that Patrick Sr. lives in the East NY area so it looks like LE would know exactly where to look if the father was involved. I got the impression early on that the father might have been out of state. not true.

He's just a little guy!!! I cant believe there hasnt been more of an outcry!!!:banghead:

Patrick really looks older than 7...it is even more feasible that people would not think much about him being out alone... it only takes a minute for someone to grab a child...

Destiny Norton...

But even if he did try to leave and then was grabbed later... I don't think this young man on a bus or something would have raised red flags. He would have looked older and people would have thought "it's not my place... I don't want to be mistaken for trying to hurt him..."

True, he does look older than 7 in some of his pictures.

Also, the "average" height of a 7 year old is about 3'8". Patrick is listed at 4'8". About the height of an 11-12 year old (on average). I wonder if that is accurate, or if Patrick is actually really tall for his age?

I think one of the reasons Patrick seems older in his photos is because he seems to have wonderfully expressive eyebrows - my son does that, too (got it from me), and I notice that a lot of young kids don't use their eyebrows for much more than surprise or anger. It does give him an "old soul" look at times.

True, he does look older than 7 in some of his pictures.

Also, the "average" height of a 7 year old is about 3'8". Patrick is listed at 4'8". About the height of an 11-12 year old (on average). I wonder if that is accurate, or if Patrick is actually really tall for his age?

I have noticed lately that all the missing kids seem big, to me. But everyone seems big to me! Chad (12) in Utah, Lee (15) in Utah, Hailey (13) in Texas and Elizabeth (15) in Texas are all my size or bigger. Some are 8 inches taller than I am!

Patrick is only 4 inches shorter than I am. :waitasec:

My own 7 and 8 year olds are 3 feet 8- 10 inches tall. Kyron was 3'8 when he disappeared. (Weird, my kid is finally average at something?)

It is so hard to judge age or anything when you see a kid. That's why I look at their face, their features. Sometimes I have some sort of reference. Kyron would be about the same size as my girls. Patrick would not be much shorter than I am. Otherwise, it is really best to be looking at their face and not relying on their height to judge their age.

*I* would be mistaken for a child before Elizabeth Ennen or Lee Cravath would have been. Scary thought.

The photo on the left was taken a few weeks before Patrick went missing. I'm not sure when the second one was taken. To me he looks a lot younger in the second. (But I'm not convinced that there is a huge age difference, in reality.)

Not sure why this is bugging me. I just think it could have been helpful to the general public if, from the beginning, they knew if they were supposed to be looking for an "average" appearing 7 year old boy, or a child who looks older. Yes, the photos can show that. But to most people, if you say 4'8", they don't automatically know if that's average for a 7 year old, unless they have children that age.

Attachments

• 21 Dinosaur.jpg
    21 Dinosaur.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 38 new.jpg
    38 new.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 25
The teeth look possibly much more grown up in the dinosaur picture. I think the other one might indeed be significantly older.

See that's why my kids pictures are organized in a folder by month, still labeled with "96 months" and "86 months" and the date on my camera is correct. I never have to wonder when a picture was taken.

One day my pictures are going to be my alibi... or at least the reason I remember where I was...

Most 7-year-olds don't have their adult teeth already, do they?

I mean, I know all children mature at different rates. But it seems that Patrick was developmentally older than your typical 7-year-old. In his height/weight, his teeth, etc.

He also looks older in this picture. (Okay, I know it doesn't really matter. But seriously. I think they should have alerted the public to watch out for these things.)

Attachments

• 42 Patrick.png
    42 Patrick.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 24
Most 7-year-olds don't have their adult teeth already, do they?

I mean, I know all children mature at different rates. But it seems that Patrick was developmentally older than your typical 7-year-old. In his height/weight, his teeth, etc.

He also looks older in this picture. (Okay, I know it doesn't really matter. But seriously. I think they should have alerted the public to watch out for these things.)

Excellent points, especially regarding his teeth. Some 7 year olds have their two top front incisors but not all. Patrick being off the charts on ht for his age along with having both is top front incisors fully in would have easily allowed someone to mistake him for a 4th or even 5th grader.

I have a tall 8 yr old who lost his teeth late so while he was still in KG he was the size of a 3rd grader. I remember pointing out to the 'bigger older' kids in the neighborhood just because he is tall doesn't mean he is older, look he still has all his baby teeth.

I think it might be worth MSM or LE putting out a presser once again asking people what they may have recalled the evening Patrick went missing and to consider a child who resembled Patrick who may have appeared in the 9-11 age range even though he was only 7.

anyone here in contact with MSM and LE? Imo it won't hurt to ask.

I looked for an email contact for those in charge of Patrick's case, but could find nothing. Only a phone number for the 75th Precinct.

I sent an email to writers with the New York Post and New York Daily News, and the general contact form for the local ABC station, SI Live, and NY 1.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bannosusan5
Back