NY - Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, murdered, 1993-94, John Biltroff *GUILTY* - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Write on……
If I am understanding correctly, Bitroff admitted that he saw Tangredi at a motel in Patchogue and that same motel was connected to that SCPD officer they were investigating. right?

If I am understanding correctly, Bitroff admitted that he saw Tangredi at a motel in Patchogue and that same motel was connected to that SCPD officer they were investigating. right?
I can't find the original affidavit, but it is the one referenced in this article. Is it possible that Bitroff is scared to say anything more because of the tie to SCPD? and he is the person she refers to as the drunk person with blonde hair? It is the same exact motel at the same exact time period. The motel changed names right after and she says that there was another SCPD officeer there.

The extensive police search of a remote area on Long Island is not tied to suspected Gilgo Beach killer Rex Heuermann — but to another possible serial killer, police sources told The Post.

Cops are looking for new evidence related to the 1993 murder of Sandra Costilla — and they are hoping to finally tie the case to convicted killer John Bittrolff, according to sources with knowledge of the Suffolk County case

A comment from an ex-wife is very low value IMO. Especially when you consider the DNA evidence, which doesn't implicate Hart. This appeal will be thrown out and Bittrolff will rightfully spend the rest of his life behind bars.
Many w

A comment from an ex-wife is very low value IMO. Especially when you consider the DNA evidence, which doesn't implicate Hart. This appeal will be thrown out and Bittrolff will rightfully spend the rest of his life behind bars.
Many wives and girlfriends call the tip line.
Attorney is grasping at straws.
It's what they do.
True, not enough to get a new trial.

His appeal for a new trial was thrown out in April. I think that his lawyer plans on appealing the decision again.

Bittrolff’s lawyers have long accused prosecutors of relying on dubious forensics to convict him. They say the new charges against Heuermann cast further doubt on the case against their client, who has maintained his innocence since being sentenced to 50 years to life in 2017.

“You have three women killed in the same time frame and displayed in the same way, and now one is alleged to have been killed by Rex Heuermann,” said attorney Lisa Marcoccia of the Legal Aid Society, which is handling the appeal. “The evidence points to one killer, and the new indictment supports John Bittrolff’s claim of innocence.”
Though Bittrolff’s DNA was not found on Costilla, all three victims were displayed in the same sexual manner and missing a single shoe, prosecutors said, and wood shavings were found at all three scenes.

Both Tangredi and McNamee were known to engage in sex work, while Costilla “led a similar lifestyle,” Spota said.

At the 2017 trial, Bittrolff’s lawyer conceded it was possible his client had sex with the two women but said that didn’t mean he killed them. Multiple sperm samples were found on the two women.

Prosecutors relied on the testimony of Suffolk County Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Caplan, who said he analyzed the density of the sperm to conclude Bittrolff had sex with them shortly before their deaths.

Defense lawyers did not call an expert to rebut that. But in an appeal motion, they cited DNA analyst and molecular biologist Dr. Karl Reich, who described sperm density analysis as “pure junk science.”

Bittrolff’s lawyers have long accused prosecutors of relying on dubious forensics to convict him. They say the new charges against Heuermann cast further doubt on the case against their client, who has maintained his innocence since being sentenced to 50 years to life in 2017.

“You have three women killed in the same time frame and displayed in the same way, and now one is alleged to have been killed by Rex Heuermann,” said attorney Lisa Marcoccia of the Legal Aid Society, which is handling the appeal. “The evidence points to one killer, and the new indictment supports John Bittrolff’s claim of innocence.”
Though Bittrolff’s DNA was not found on Costilla, all three victims were displayed in the same sexual manner and missing a single shoe, prosecutors said, and wood shavings were found at all three scenes.

Both Tangredi and McNamee were known to engage in sex work, while Costilla “led a similar lifestyle,” Spota said.

At the 2017 trial, Bittrolff’s lawyer conceded it was possible his client had sex with the two women but said that didn’t mean he killed them. Multiple sperm samples were found on the two women.

Prosecutors relied on the testimony of Suffolk County Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Caplan, who said he analyzed the density of the sperm to conclude Bittrolff had sex with them shortly before their deaths.

Defense lawyers did not call an expert to rebut that. But in an appeal motion, they cited DNA analyst and molecular biologist Dr. Karl Reich, who described sperm density analysis as “pure junk science.”

Anyone else questioning whether John might not be guilty ?

Anyone else questioning whether John might not be guilty ?

I really was, but I've been reading about his trial and cases since Thursday. I think there are still enough similarities between Rita and Colleen and Sandra that the case should get a review. But based on the differences (and there were a lot of them, though none alone would be a glaring sign of two killers all of them together seem to point that way), the fact that both were killed when John Bittrolff was facing trial for a 1990 assault, the DNA found under Rita's fingernails along with the DNA in both bodies, his friend saying he saw Colleen's ID in Bittrolff's possession, and the fact that they didn't connect him until his brother was arrested and required to submit DNA makes me think that he was not framed.

I don't know if I'd be surprised to hear DNA connected Rex Heuermann to Rita and Colleen as well. A lot of experts say Rex was likely the type to work alone (and maybe whatever they've found on his computer supports that), but I could see him working with someone else as long as he got to be in charge, like Leonard Lake. (ETA: Meant to add, if some of the stories people have told about him are true, I think he liked talking about himself and the LISK enough that if he met a like-minded person, he might eventually let them in on it as long as he could control them. That said, he was VERY careful, and I can't see Bittrolff sitting in prison for 10 years without ratting on his partner.)

But as for Bittrolff, I'm skeptical of his innocence. Maybe he killed Rita and Colleen alone or maybe he worked with someone else, but the evidence does make it seem like he was involved.

I really was, but I've been reading about his trial and cases since Thursday. I think there are still enough similarities between Rita and Colleen and Sandra that the case should get a review. But based on the differences (and there were a lot of them, though none alone would be a glaring sign of two killers all of them together seem to point that way), the fact that both were killed when John Bittrolff was facing trial for a 1990 assault, the DNA found under Rita's fingernails along with the DNA in both bodies, his friend saying he saw Colleen's ID in Bittrolff's possession, and the fact that they didn't connect him until his brother was arrested and required to submit DNA makes me think that he was not framed.

I don't know if I'd be surprised to hear DNA connected Rex Heuermann to Rita and Colleen as well. A lot of experts say Rex was likely the type to work alone (and maybe whatever they've found on his computer supports that), but I could see him working with someone else as long as he got to be in charge, like Leonard Lake. (ETA: Meant to add, if some of the stories people have told about him are true, I think he liked talking about himself and the LISK enough that if he met a like-minded person, he might eventually let them in on it as long as he could control them. That said, he was VERY careful, and I can't see Bittrolff sitting in prison for 10 years without ratting on his partner.)

But as for Bittrolff, I'm skeptical of his innocence. Maybe he killed Rita and Colleen alone or maybe he worked with someone else, but the evidence does make it seem like he was involved.
interesting. I didn’t know about the fingernails/IDs.

It doesn’t help that the handling of the trial and evidence was botched .

interesting. I didn’t know about the fingernails/IDs.

It doesn’t help that the handling of the trial and evidence was botched

I think your right. And poor Sandra was found in North Sea.
Bittrolff has a cabin in upstate NY. The place he has an appitite for raw hearts. SICKO.
Maybe he put the property in someone elses name.
I would not be surprised if he had bodies buried there.
He has a cabin in upstate NY? Was this ever confirmed? Updating/found it

Last edited:

I feel the same way, not so sure of his innocence. I didn't see anything about DNA under the nails...was that in the court docs? I like to read everything

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back