NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We all thought he left it in the morning because we didn't know he came back home. Ida was even saying he must have left it in the morning. But I believe that was before the neighbor video.

I need to find her words. No time right now.

Gotya....so she made the assumption he left it in the morning because maybe she had no idea he had ever made it to the home at 2:45. I wonder what the time of discovery of the wallet is.....as we've been saying all along.

I think I understood the car controversy so it made sense to me. IM says "He would never leave his car at the train station" and yet we now learn that he does leave it there on occaision. If you read it as a more permanent version of leave, then the difference is "if he was leaving for good he would have never left his car at the train station and taken the train" rather than "he would never leave his car at the station and take the train"
If I understood, that is the explanation for the discrepancy. It seems perfectly believable to me, most people don't think to add context when they are flipping out over their spouse.

Thank you elmo! ITA We shouldn't split hairs over what was said when, why, and by whom. Oftentimes we don't have the context and are in danger of misinterpreting statements. I think the bigger picture is more important than single sentences picked up here and there.

The only reason to analyse things IM said would be to sleuth her and we don't sleuth family members.

I don't think it matters when she found the wallet, or whether she knew or just deducted later by looking at his things in the bathroom whether he shaved that morning or not.

If she said she saw him last in the early morning or the previous evening we should believe her and not endlessly wonder whether she was home at 2:50 pm. I don't think it's fair to go down that path. I don't think she was home, I think she would have said so if 2:50 was the last time she saw him.

NCNY has cleared up a lot of misunderstandings, thank you for that!

Focussing on Rob - he went to work, he visited a scrap yard afterwards, came home, put some cash and possibly the wallet in the garage (purposely? absentmindedly?), possibly put his bike into his car, and drove off, vanishing without a trace. At about the same time he took off from his home his phone went dead. (How weird!) His car was found the next day at the very spot in the parking lot at Deer Park Station where he used to park years ago whenever he took the train. Bike is missing along with Rob.

What does that tell us? What was he likely up to? I asked this before, want to ask it again: are there any scenic biking trails in this area which you would reach by train? Was there maybe some kind of mountain bike enthusiasts event that Friday afternoon?

There would be no reason for anyone on Long Island to take a train to a bike trail. Driving would be the preferred method. Even if he were going out to shelter island, given his love of cars I would think he would prefer to drive over taking the train. JMO.

I do believe the time the wallet was found is relevant if he had it on him all day and took it out of his pocket in the garage. what was the reason?

There would be no reason for anyone on Long Island to take a train to a bike trail. Driving would be the preferred method. Even if he were going out to shelter island, given his love of cars I would think he would prefer to drive over taking the train. JMO.

I do believe the time the wallet was found is relevant if he had it on him all day and took it out of his pocket in the garage. what was the reason?

Maybe he changed clothes?

Pondering the first part of your post ... it's a good point. The question then becomes: where would he want to go that makes taking the train more feasable than driving? Into the city with rush hour traffic and limited parking spots? Is that where he was heading?

I would agree if what NCNY says is true, but according to IM, he would rather have a root canal than park at the train station. So who do you believe?

I think I understood the car controversy so it made sense to me. IM says "He would never leave his car at the train station" and yet we now learn that he does leave it there on occaision. If you read it as a more permanent version of leave, then the difference is "if he was leaving for good he would have never left his car at the train station and taken the train" rather than "he would never leave his car at the station and take the train"
If I understood, that is the explanation for the discrepancy. It seems perfectly believable to me, most people don't think to add context when they are flipping out over their spouse.

Just my thought... if RM was "walking away" from his family, home, job - I can see him leaving car at the train station parking also. MOO

Pondering the first part of your post ... it's a good point. The question then becomes: where would he want to go that makes taking the train more feasable than driving? Into the city with rush hour traffic and limited parking spots? Is that where he was heading?

Elainera, re: BBM: This is a good avenue to think on possibilities.

Maybe he changed clothes?

I thought of that to but his work boots and clothes would be left there right??
So now maybe he did have his wallet, had ID on him when he went to Scrap Metal place after all. Makes sense now...IMO

In the very beginning IM said he had on boots or white sneakers. Did she ever find his sneakers???

The city would be my first guess. And by city I mean Manhattan. But then why take the bike.

If he hated the train so much I can't imagine why he wouldn't drive to his destination if it were anywhere else.

None of this makes any sense.

Quoting myself to follow that thought ...

Maybe he had a second car parked somewhere else, perhaps in the city. This would make the voluntary disappearing scenario more plausible.

So now maybe he did have his wallet, had ID on him when he went to Scrap Metal place after all. Makes sense now...IMO

In the very beginning IM said he had on boots or white sneakers. Did she ever find his sneakers???

BBM - Good catch and very good question!

I do wonder if he changed when he got home in those 10 minutes that he was there.

Thank you elmo! ITA We shouldn't split hairs over what was said when, why, and by whom. Oftentimes we don't have the context and are in danger of misinterpreting statements. I think the bigger picture is more important than single sentences picked up here and there.

The only reason to analyse things IM said would be to sleuth her and we don't sleuth family members.

I don't think it matters when she found the wallet, or whether she knew or just deducted later by looking at his things in the bathroom whether he shaved that morning or not.

If she said she saw him last in the early morning or the previous evening we should believe her and not endlessly wonder whether she was home at 2:50 pm. I don't think it's fair to go down that path. I don't think she was home, I think she would have said so if 2:50 was the last time she saw him.

NCNY has cleared up a lot of misunderstandings, thank you for that!

Focussing on Rob - he went to work, he visited a scrap yard afterwards, came home, put some cash and possibly the wallet in the garage (purposely? absentmindedly?), possibly put his bike into his car, and drove off, vanishing without a trace. At about the same time he took off from his home his phone went dead. (How weird!) His car was found the next day at the very spot in the parking lot at Deer Park Station where he used to park years ago whenever he took the train. Bike is missing along with Rob.

What does that tell us? What was he likely up to? I asked this before, want to ask it again: are there any scenic biking trails in this area which you would reach by train? Was there maybe some kind of mountain bike enthusiasts event that Friday afternoon?

I have been to a bike trail in Huntington but I cannot think of the name. I texted my DD and waiting for her to reply back. It was years ago and remember it was beautiful. There are also bike trails in Bethpage State park, Eisenhower Park and Jones Beach. But I think you would take your car.

Added another Massapequa Preserve.

BBM - Good catch and very good question!

I do wonder if he changed when he got home in those 10 minutes that he was there.

Yes he could have. Or maybe he already had a gym bag in his car with tee shirts and shorts etc.

trigger there are mountain bike trails in Cold Spring Harbor and in Fort Salonga, both of which are not close to train stations.

I've also heard there are trails in Rocky Point.

But, again, why would someone who hated trains put his bike on one to go someplace that he could drive to?

IM has said that the CUE site is the most up to date and correct. It says

Clothing:grey polo shirt, light blue jeans, black work boots, ray ban
sunglasses

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/index.php?s=Robert+Mayer

trigger there are mountain bike trails in Cold Spring Harbor and in Fort Salonga, both of which are not close to train stations.

I've also heard there are trails in Rocky Point.

But, again, why would someone who hated trains put his bike on one to go someplace that he could drive to?

I agree. You cannot go to any trails by taking the train. My DD said the Huntington Bike Trail is off Lloyd Harbor Rd. I just found it.

http://www.nysparks.com/parks/39/getting-there.aspx

The question then becomes: where would he want to go that makes taking the train more feasable than driving? Into the city with rush hour traffic and limited parking spots? Is that where he was heading?

As mentioned previously, if he was "walking away" it makes sense that he would leave all things that would be able to track him with.. phone, wallet, car. You could take a bike and train to just about anywhere w/o showing ID.

I'm not feeling the bike trails. They're not accessible by train.

On the premise of his leaving voluntarily - I'm thinking of the possibility that he had another car at the station with clothes and what ever he needed in that car.

Or, if he had a girlfriend or left with someone, they could have picked him up in the parking lot.

There is in my opinion ,deceptive info being released by whoever controls the FB search page. Omitting certain info I can understand in regards to LE requests but some info has been willfully deceptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay