NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good point Talula. But, what if it was reported in good faith and down the line it was determined to be incorrect information? It isn't like this would be a scandal, it would just quietly be closed.

Can't someone simply call and ask SCPD if the case is open?

Hasn't the investigation ended? There has not been a search & rescue attempt in weeks. I am going to look it up online and see if its an ongoing case.

It is an open case and an ongoing investigation, as far as I know. It isn't closed until it is resolved. They will tell IM when it is resolved. It is up to IM to tell everyone else, IMO.

Its possible he already did.....I know that sounds silly but anything is possible.

Btw----cops all stick together. Hypothetical situation---So I would believe even if RM did contact LE and say he was fine, And they closed the case, someone has said here that LE has to respect his privacy and not let the family know. So lets assume the brother-in law didnt belong to that particular precinct, or was a city cop or whatever, you can bet they informed him "off the record" of his where abouts.

BBm

I disagree. LE would tell the family he was found and that the case is closed. They may not tell of RM's whereabouts, if he doesn't want contact with family.

It is an open case and an ongoing investigation, as far as I know. It isn't closed until it is resolved. They will tell the IM when it is resolved. It is up to the IM to tell everyone else, IMO.

So what info is available to the general public if a case is open? Anything? Or is a police report the only thing accessible?

So what info is available to the general public if a case is open? Anything? Or is a police report the only thing accessible?

Not everything in a report is made public either.. you may get a copy of the report, however if investigation ongoing, you might just find it full of black marker....just saying..

Especially if there are protected addresses..

Not everything in a report is made public either.. you may get a copy of the report, however if investigation ongoing, you might just find it full of black marker....just saying..

Especially if there are protected addresses..

Since we have precious little, I vote we try, at least we'll have something.

Here is info from 2 major city LE websites addressing missing persons (adults). Seems like they handle the cases in a similar fashion. I'm pretty sure it is handled the same way in NY:

POLICE INVESTIGATION

"Since being a missing person is not a crime, police are given a very limited role while conducting these types of investigations. *As a general rule, all people have a right to be left alone, and police intrusion into their lives must be minimal. *However, in cases where “foul-play” exists, police can investigate just like any other criminal act. *Also, in cases where the missing person is “endangered” due to medical problems, or life-threatening situations, police will take appropriate investigative measures.

Once the missing person is found by police, the Department will notify the person who made the report. *However, police cannot disclose the location or whereabouts of the missing person without his or her consent."

http://www.lapdonline.org/lapd_adult_missing_persons_unit

"In missing adult cases, the role of the Phoenix Police Department is only to verify the person’s welfare. *We will not reveal the whereabouts of an adult missing person to the reporting person or any other details. *Similarly, detectives will not “pass on a message” or provide contact information for a missing person. *Private investigators can be hired to do such services.
There are many internet sources which can assist a family in locating a loved one. *Links to some of these websites are on this page."

http://phoenix.gov/police/investigations/coldcase/missing/missing_adults.html

It is worth reading these whole pages on how they handle missing persons cases. IMO, they are handled pretty much the same in most states.

From what I remember of Adrienne's report, there were addresses and some names blocked out. I didn't read the entire thing. But it gave a thorough summarization of what LE was told by witnesses, which would be really helpful to read given the scant info we've read on MSM and elsewhere.

I have a feeling that the only thing LE might release is the initial incident report, i.e the details of the call from IM to LE. Doubtful it would include follow-up interviews, etc.

Adrienne had been missing for almost two days before she was reported missing, her car had been in a wreck, been found and LE had to deal with dozens of witnesses, so the report was very long. I doubt there was much to the initial report in RM's case.

But certainly LE would advise RM if he had been located. They would not be a party to collection of monies, etc. as if the person was still unaccounted for, or people searching on their own, with the possible issues that arise from that, if they had touched base with him, IMO.

BBm

I disagree. LE would tell the family he was found and that the case is closed. They may not tell of RM's whereabouts, if he doesn't want contact with family.

I didn't word that properly, sorry nice catch! I meant to say that are supposed to keep his whereabouts private. But my point was, because they have LE in the family, I am sure they will inform that particular person off the record.

Since we have precious little, I vote we try, at least we'll have something.

And perhaps it may help us confirm the crumbs (facts)? Even if they were given to LE from IM. At least we can use that as a baseline and not worry about these crumbs changing again....at least we will know what they were actually told.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt they'll share much until they have determined what happened to the missing person-- just in case, it ends up being foul play. They'll probably say,"it is an ongoing investigtion . . " and nothing will be revealed. So far, they think no crime is involved. They won't say why, but the answer could be in the police report in some way. For example, in the report, IM could have disclosed that RM was very depressed and was taking medication.

One thing, I don't know if any medical info will be blacked out. Not sure how that works . . .

JMO

I have a feeling that the only thing LE might release is the initial incident report, i.e the details of the call from IM to LE. Doubtful it would include follow-up interviews, etc.

Adrienne had been missing for almost two days before she was reported missing, her car had been in a wreck, been found and LE had to deal with dozens of witnesses, so the report was very long. I doubt there was much to the initial report in RM's case.

But certainly LE would advise RM if he had been located. They would not be a party to collection of monies, etc. as if the person was still unaccounted for, or people searching on their own, with the possible issues that arise from that, if they had touched base with him, IMO.

Can you clarify? I'm not sure what you are saying. TIA

Can you clarify? I'm not sure what you are saying. TIA

Just that LE would not want the public to be doing searches on their own for a person who is not really missing, due to possible injuries, trespassing etc. and also would not condone (or would want to prevent) monies being raised for rewards for a person who is not missing, and in some other cases, LE has made a simple statement that the person has been contacted and is okay and that is the end of it. JMO

ETA meant to say "would advise IM...not RM, lol

Most adults who are reported missing, Detective Bonner said, disappear because they want to. In one case earlier this year, a Seattle woman was reported missing by her husband, who believed she had committed suicide. But when Detective Bonner investigated, she discovered through friends and an Internet search that the woman was having an affair, living with a man in Southern California. ''The woman was very unhappy when I found her,'' Detective Bonner said.

Detective Bonner then informed the husband that his wife was alive, though laws governing what can be disclosed from an investigation barred her from telling him where the woman was

From McSpys link

I forgot to mention this----kind of OT but----Friday I travelled from eastern LI to Queens--about 100 miles one way--on the LIE message board was an alert for a Missing man in a 93-94 white Jeep (IIRC)----got me thinking about bill boards and other cars RM has or had access to--------just a thought

I saw this too down on the SOuthern State. Do you do what I do? I run right to Websleuths to look and see who it is and what I can learn. Hubby thinks I am such a nerd :propeller:

he just shakes his head and :facepalm::rolleyes:

Sleuthing family or anyone that has not been named a person of interest or suspect is not allowed here.

:tyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member