NY NY - Sara Wood, 12, Frankfort, 18 Aug 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I lived in Hamilton Ny when Sarah dissapeared. I had a grey van fallow me with two men in it July 4th 1993. I was also 12 at the time. I had to jump over a ditch and run through three fields to get home. I was terrified. I had that gut feeling to run fast. I had tried to hide behind a tree near the road and they stopped in front so I knew I had to run. My mother called the cops and was told a previous night two boys ran into the local hospital cause a grey van was trying to kidnapp them.

What a scary situation, Applabie22. I'm not very familiar with the Sara Wood case but I guess you think that these incidents back in July 1993 are related to Sara's disappearance?

Is this Lent guy still alive? I wish they could get him to talk.

Missing From: FRANKFORT, New York
Date Missing: 08/18/1993

SARA ANNE WOOD

DOB: 03/04/1981
Sex: Female
HGT: 4'11"
WGT: 96 lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Race: White

Other Information: Sara has shoulder length hair. She was last seen wearing a pink t-shirt with the words "Guess Who" on the front. Foul play is
suspected.

getImage

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/missing/#/missing-child/14

Sara Anne Wood: Missing 25 Years

Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of one of upstate New York's most riveting unsolved missing persons cases.

Sara Anne Wood was last seen around 2:30 in the afternoon of August 18, 1993. She was 12 years old , riding her pink and white 10-speed mountain bike on her way home after stopping by Norwich Corners Church in the Herkimer County town of Litchfield, where her father was the pastor. Not long after her disappearance authorities found her bicycle, coloring book and crayons hidden in an area of brush not far from her home.

COMMEMORATIVE RIDE HELD ON 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF SARA ANNE WOOD'S DISAPPEARANCE

Aug. 18, 2018

"Sauquoit, N.Y. - It's been 25 years since the search began for 12 year old Sara Anne Wood, but many say her legacy is that her disappearance has helped find countless other children.

Wood disappeared on August 18th, 1993 while riding her bike near the church where her father was the pastor, Norwich Corners Church in the Herkimer County town of Litchfield.

Lewis Lent, a janitor from Massachusetts and convicted murderer serving a life sentence in Massachusetts, admitted to abducting and killing Sara Anne, but he never revealed where her body was.

On Saturday, Sara Anne's cousin, Cari Alukunois, was one of 40 bicyclists that rode in a Ride For Missing Children Commemorative Ride in Sara Anne's honor beginning at Sara Anne's school, Sauquoit Middle School.

Alukonis says the pain of what happened is still there for her family, "It just seems like it was yesterday that it happened, it's so vivid in your memory." Alukonis says this ride is truly very special to each and every rider, and every member of her family, "It’s kind of just remembering my cousin and it’s also remembering everything that’s happened after my cousin's disappearance. Thousands of children have come home because the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was founded. There are walks that were done, there were rides that were done, there are posters that have gone out, and all these children are home. And it makes me feel a little bit better being Sara‘s cousin to know that these people are home because my cousin went missing."..."

Commemorative Ride held on 25th anniversary of Sara Anne Wood's disappearance

072005%20missing%206.JPG

---

Dick Jordan speaks about Sara Anne Wood, Ride for Missing Children

---

British singer-guitarist Greg Lake wrote a song "Daddy" about Sara for his band's, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, final album....

GREG LAKE - DADDY (LIVE '94)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author to donate proceeds from book to Center for Missing & Exploited Children

Nov 7, 2018

"Best-selling local author Nancy Troast Waldeck alongside Scriptor Publishing Group will present a $250 donation to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children — New York/Mohawk Valley (NCMEC-NY/MV) on Monday, Nov. 19.

The donation represents proceeds from the Amazon bestselling book Rise Above: 8 Stories of Life Transformation, a collaborative book of stories about overcoming obstacles and transforming your life. Waldeck was one of eight authors to publish a story in the book....

Waldeck was the sixth grade teacher to Sara Anne Wood who disappeared 25 years ago from the Town of Litchfield.

Wood’s disappearance and search efforts ultimately led to the creation of the NCMEC-NY/MV office...."

Author to donate proceeds from book to Center for Missing & Exploited Children
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyclists riding across New York raising awareness for National Missing Children's Day

On Tuesday, which is National Missing Children’s Day, the “Chain of Awareness, which features posters of over 250 missing persons will be on display. This will begin at 9 a.m. Also on May 25, riders will meet in Sauquoit as a tribute to Sara Anne Wood, who the Ride for Missing Children campaign was started for. Sara was abducted in 1993 while riding her bicycle.

“I think keeping Sara in our lives through education and continued efforts to find her remains only honors her after death and her short life,” DuBois said. “The ride keeps her in everyone’s minds by never forgetting about that awful day in August 1993. The ride keeps her and the other Saras, the other children that have disappeared, alive. I will continue to support the ride.”

Wood, 12, was last seen at 2:30 p.m. on Aug.18, 1993, walking her bicycle on Hacadam Road in Litchfield. She was carrying papers from the Vacation Bible School at Norwich Corners Presbyterian Church in Sauquoit where her father Bob served as pastor.

On Oct. 25, 1996, Lewis Lent, a 45-year-old janitor from North Adams, Massachusetts, pleaded to second-degree murder. He admitted to killing Wood in 1993 but refused to reveal where he had placed the girl’s body.

Lent was already serving a sentence of life without parole for the 1990 murder of Jimmy Bernardo, 12, of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and 17-20 years for the kidnapping and assault of 12-year-old Rebecca Savarese, also of Pittsfield.

After being arrested in January 1994 for kidnapping Savarese, who had escaped by feigning dizziness and leaving her backpack in Lent’s grasp as she ran away to find help, Lent confessed to raping and killing Wood and burying her near Raquette Lake in the Adirondacks. Lent was later sentenced to an additional 25 years on April 11, 1997.

Greg Lake of the rock band Emerson, Lake and Palmer saw her story on TV in a hotel room and wrote the song “Daddy” in 1994 to honor her memory and to help raise funds for her search.

Just last month, Nov. 2023, "law enforcement searched approximately 29 acres of land located around the Dome Hiking Trail at White Oaks Road in Pownal, Vermont..." in Green Mountain National Forest.

Unfortunately again they did not find her, but I commend them for not giving up, for trying.

More on the case of Sara Wood:

"Killer who snatched 12-year-old out on a bike ride plays games over location of body"

Dec 10, 2023

• wood_sara.jpg
  • sara_anne_wood_2.jpg
  • sara_anne_wood_5.jpg
Sara, circa 1993; Lewis Lent, circa 1996

<<Lent later recanted his statements, but was convicted of the crime nonetheless. Sara has never been located. In 2013, Lent also confessed to the 1992 murder of James "Jamie" Lusher, whose body has never been found. Lent has never been charged in connection with Lusher's case, but witnesses placed him in the area of Lusher's disappearance.

Sara's family founded the Sara Anne Wood Rescue Center, later renamed the Mohawk Valley Branch of The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children.>>

I read about the case and I wonder if he had acted with an accomplice?
reading it, I also don't know if I really could have done it, much less done it alone...
Lewis Lent said "I don't like touching dead bodies," which seems like a very strange thing for a murderer to do... plus, I can't find anything that says there was any evidence linking him to any of the murders, other than the confessions that were made. They gave during the three days of interrogation...he is in prison for life and the boy's body was found, so why wouldn't he reveal the location of his body, even if there was another one? he'll still be in prison...it doesn't seem like he's doing it for attention or to be the only one who knows...i don't know, he just doesn't seem like someone capable of doing what he's saying...
either way
rest in peace Sara

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley216