GUILTY NY - Sarah Goode, 21, Medford, 6 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BTW.......I am in no way, trying to defend, justify or minimize the rape charges. Just stating my opinion why it's an "attempted" rape charge. Have a goodnight WS's :bed:

When u read the charges in webcrims.... Murder in the first appears 2x.... So I'm assuming that's the 2 counts. But under one docket it says "indictment count-1" and the other says "indictment counts-2". Let's say for example the victim is not pregnant, how would a person get more than 1 charge if murder, if there is only 1 victim?? Tried researching but have not come up with a definate answer. Definition states that's it's basically with more criminal charges. I'm confused.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_indictment_counts_mean

Thank you for putting what I couldn't in to words! I'm confused too.

From what I've read, overcharging is common among prosecutors. By using multiple charges it increases the chances of getting a conviction. This allows the jury to agree on one theory and possibly reject another. It reduces the possibility of a hung jury or conviction of a lesser charge. Question is though, can they convict on all charges?? Cause there is first degree-intent , and there is first degree-depraved indifference. They both kind of contradict each other, one being premeditated and other not. It may not apply to this case but if convicted of both isn't one a contradiction of the other?

Just addressing off the question of multiple counts. I recently watched a trial in NH involving murder & rape where he was charged with 3 counts. No pregnancy there. Two 1st deg. and one 2nd to CYA. He was found guilty on both 1st deg charges. The penal code had different languages and the jury found him guilty of both.

From what I've read, overcharging is common among prosecutors. By using multiple charges it increases the chances of getting a conviction. This allows the jury to agree on one theory and possibly reject another. It reduces the possibility of a hung jury or conviction of a lesser charge. Question is though, can they convict on all charges?? Cause there is first degree-intent , and there is first degree-depraved indifference. They both kind of contradict each other, one being premeditated and other not. It may not apply to this case but if convicted of both isn't one a contradiction of the other?

Interesting, and confusing. Hope they clear up the confusion as to what/why he's being charged with. First thing I thought was "OMG the poor girl was pregnant." :(

CAVEAT: I'm a lawyer but not licensed in New York, and I don't practice criminal law so take the following as my opinion and only that:

It looks like the State may be covering all its bases by charging DT with first degree murder, felony murder, and second degree murder. Assuming he doesn’t take a plea, the jury would choose one of those if they found him guilty of murder. I don't think the "murder of a police officer" is applicable in this case - it's just part of the same first degree murder statute.

If I am understanding correctly, it would then be: 125.25 01 (second degree murder), OR 125.27 01 (first degree murder), OR 125.27 (felony murder).

http://newyorkcriminaldefenseblawg.com/category/homicide-and-murder/

We'll find out if that's what's really going on if the State decides to share more information on these charges, hopefully, in the next few days.

JMO, MOO

ETA: Removed attempted rape charge references after Momoffourboys pointed out that charge applies to 2011 victim.

CAVEAT: I'm a lawyer but not licensed in New York, and I don't practice criminal law so take the following as my opinion and only that:

It looks like the State may be covering all its bases by charging DT with first degree murder, felony murder, and second degree murder. Assuming he doesn’t take a plea, the jury would choose one of those if they found him guilty of murder. The attempted rape charge may be what they're using as the predicate offense underlying the felony murder charge. I don't think the "murder of a police officer" is applicable in this case - it's just part of the same first degree murder statute.

If I am understanding correctly, it would then be: 125.25 01 (second degree murder), OR 125.27 01 (first degree murder), OR 125.27 01 + 110 - 130.35 01 [attempted rape] = (felony murder).

http://newyorkcriminaldefenseblawg.com/category/homicide-and-murder/

We'll find out if that's what's really going on if the State decides to share more information on these charges, hopefully, in the next few days.

JMO, MOO

The attempted rape charge stems from a 2011 incident that took place in his home with a different female.

"Taylor was charged with attempted rape for a 2011 incident in which a woman claims he tried to sexually assault her at knifepoint in his bedroom. She escaped, said prosecutors who said they weren’t aware of the attempted rape until they began investigating Goode’s death."

http://nypost.com/2014/07/12/man-arrested-in-killing-of-mother/

The attempted rape charge stems from a 2011 incident that took place in his home with a different female.

"Taylor was charged with attempted rape for a 2011 incident in which a woman claims he tried to sexually assault her at knifepoint in his bedroom. She escaped, said prosecutors who said they weren’t aware of the attempted rape until they began investigating Goode’s death."

http://nypost.com/2014/07/12/man-arrested-in-killing-of-mother/
Thanks. All the charges are listed together on the State website so it appeared they all stemmed from one incident. I will edit my post to avoid further confusion.

A third person appeared out no where and did it after DT had consensual sex with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I was thinking, I wonder if a women is the second person involved here. I wonder if he will go with that he was having consensual relations with her and a jealous third party male or female showed up and went into a rage and did this. That is the only direction I think he could go if he is pleading not guilty.

That is exactly what I was thinking, I wonder if a women is the second person involved here. I wonder if he will go with that he was having consensual relations with her and a jealous third party male or female showed up and went into a rage and did this. That is the only direction I think he could go if he is pleading not guilty.

IMO he has a drug habit and will use it as, at least, part of his defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back