NY - Sean "Diddy" Combs charged with racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking and transportation to engage in prostitution, Sept. 17, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

clearskies1

Reaction score
The first paragraph of the three-count federal indictment against the music mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs lays out in an overarching summary the serious and sprawling allegations against him.

“For decades, Sean Combs, aka ‘Puff Daddy,’ aka ‘P. Diddy,’ aka ‘Diddy,’ aka ‘PD,’ aka ‘Love,’ the defendant, abused, threatened, and coerced women and others around him to fulfill his sexual desires, protect his reputation, and conceal his conduct,” the indictment states. “To do so, Combs relied on the employees, resources, and influence of the multi-faceted business empire that he led and controlled – creating a criminal enterprise whose members and associates engaged in, and attempted to engage in, among other crimes, sex trafficking, forced labor, kidnapping, arson, bribery, and obstruction of justice.”

The indictment from the US Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York charges Combs with three counts: racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking and transportation to engage in prostitution. If convicted, he faces a sentence of up to life in prison.

Why does he get another bail hearing tomorrow?

What if he doesn’t like the outcome of that one - does he get a third one?
I think it's because a magistrate judge handled the first appearance/bail decision -- it wasn't the judge who will actually handle the case/trial. See section (b) of 18 U.S. Code § 3145. As to whether he can appeal if he doesn't like the judge's decison, I'm not sure. It looks like section (c) may be relevant, but I really don't know. JMO.

Follow up on what Peter @ LYK said about the NDA's women signed and received money for.

"One way around them is for the party to be compelled to testify under oath in a criminal or civil case. A private confidentiality agreement does not prevent being compelled by law to give testimony as part of a legal proceeding. In a criminal case or before a grand jury, the government can compel the testimony through the use of a subpoena. In a civil case, a person with relevant knowledge can be forced to testify by subpoena. A private NDA is not a defense to giving testimony compelled by law. I suspect most NDAs say that the party will not disclose absent legal compulsion. But without a legal obligation to disclose, the party would be violating the agreement by talking,” says Germain.'

Understanding Non-Disclosure Agreements

Non-disclosure agreements have been in the news recently with the ongoing stories about Harvey Weinstein and allegations of harassment and sexual assault. S ...
news.syr.edu
news.syr.edu

Mr. Agnifilo referenced in his presser after court that "this" relationship was a 10 year one? which relationship is he referring to? Because this case involves MULTIPLE victims. JS deflection MOO

The prosecution’s letter asking for Combs to be detained before trial notes that “dozens of victims and witnesses have provided detailed, credible, and corroborated information against the defendant,” combining the totals of victims and witnesses. In another part of the letter, the prosecution states it “has conducted interviews with over 50 victims and witnesses” and said that number is expected to grow.

My understanding is he's appealing denial of bail. It's a bail appeal hearing set @3:30 pm ET toda
As explained, above, it's not really an appeal.

It is a court process to bind him over to the judge who will deal with the trial rather than the magistrate judge that dealt with the arrest.

I certainly hope he is denied bail. He has set everything out so neatly and with so much emphasis on $$$$ and funds that I find it both belittling of the court, and very arrogant in his denial of the decades of crimes he is being arraigned on. Sexual trafficking, racketeering, unregistered and illegal weapons, large amounts of drugs in his possession.

Underlying all those are also issues with witness intimidation and serious assault charges.

He seems to say that he has so much money and prominent famous friends that he should be trusted out on bail.

I will be shocked if he is released to await trial. Hold him! He is a flight risk, imo.

It describes the inducement of female victims and male sex workers into drugged-up, elaborately produced sexual performances dubbed “Freak Offs” that Combs arranged, directed, masturbated during and often recorded. The events would sometimes last days and require IVs to recover from, the indictment said, and Combs used his employees as though they were a film crew.

Sep 18, 2024 11:11 AM EDT

I will be shocked if he is released to await trial. Hold him! He is a flight risk, imo.

It describes the inducement of female victims and male sex workers into drugged-up, elaborately produced sexual performances dubbed “Freak Offs” that Combs arranged, directed, masturbated during and often recorded. The events would sometimes last days and require IVs to recover from, the indictment said, and Combs used his employees as though they were a film crew.

Sep 18, 2024 11:11 AM EDT

I also think he is a flight risk. If he says he already surrendered his passport in April, it tells me he has another, fake one, waiting for him. He says his private plane is up for sale. But that doesn't stop him from hiring one he doesn't own. He has a solution for everything and everything he is offering is on his terms, already planned out. Likely has the non-extraditable country location already planned out. This guy was in control of a huge amount of money, the kind that real despot dictators would like to get their hands on.

There is no way he should be allowed out of jail at all, IMHO.

The prosecution’s letter asking for Combs to be detained before trial notes that “dozens of victims and witnesses have provided detailed, credible, and corroborated information against the defendant,” combining the totals of victims and witnesses. In another part of the letter, the prosecution states it “has conducted interviews with over 50 victims and witnesses” and said that number is expected to grow.
Why did it take decades to charge him??

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbjoe35